ADVERTISEMENT

Morons Strike Again

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
Just when you thought they finally made a good decision (even if by accident), they then turn around and completely nullify said good decision. After shunning the MAC and its GOR demand, it is now being reported that all C-USA schools signed away their media rights (i.e. GOR) for the length of the deal through '28.

So, in essence our "leadership" has signed away its media rights for $750K a year - even if the AAC wanted to invite us into their $7M a year deal. Genius. Pure genius on our leadership's part again.

I swear monkey clowns could do a better job running this university. If you're still giving your money away to this shit show, you need to check your sanity card.

I get what you are saying, but signing the GOR was the only way the media deal could've been accepted. And it is a much better deal than before, and was wisely a short deal.

Even if the AAC came calling, at most it would be a $3m exit fee. It most likely would be negotiated down. Marshall, ODU, and S Miss only paid $1.75m.

For the GOR, even if the AAC called tomorrow, it would be '25 before we could go. The media deal is for 5yrs with an option for a 6th with the GOR signed through the initial deal as I've seen it. So thats two years on the current deal used up, leaving only 3. $800k per year, that's only $2.4m which again, would be negotiated down and most likely made in payments.

So at most full price would be $5.4m. You are probably looking at around $3m after negotiations. It wouldn't be easy and would take Lee and Hans pulling some major strings, but it could be done. They were smart in only signing a 5yr deal.

The new AAC schools got $3.5m as 3 left and 6 joined. (legacy still get $7m). So say they offered us the same, or even $2.5m and gave others a bit more. Even paying full price to leave CUSA, we still would come out ahead by the end of the current CUSA deal at the latest. The next AAC deal won't be near $7m but I'd guarantee it would be more than the $800k we are getting now.

But no matter what, the only way this happens is if the PAC survives by expansion. If Calford get in the ACC or go Indy, OSU/Wazzu would most likely just join MWC or AAC and this is null as there is no way the PAC can be rebuilt without Calford.

A 5 year GOR for over 3x the money is well worth it. Media deals don’t get done without a GOR being in place. They will negotiate it done if/when the AAC came calling. Not a big issue. Now, the MAC 20 year GOR, that would have been something to really complain about. The CUSA 5 year GOR is not a major issue.

There’s a key point some of you are missing. No conference will willingly put themselves in the midst of potential litigation for breaking a contractual obligation a school has signed. This GOR guarantees the AAC or Sun Belt will look elsewhere for the next few years if they need to add. This is why the SEC has basically avoided ACC schools. Thankfully it’s only five years but the next move happen now and in the next two years. We will be staying in C-USA as a result.

Moot. No one is going to call us up until we get our crap together, which ain't happening until Stock decides to leave and we can rebuild the only sport that matters.

Reactions: MIDTENN05
Stock is 65. I know it sounds crazy, but I can't think he has more than 3-5 years left MAX.

It's been quiet on the PAC front, still have my fingers crossed they poach the AAC a bit to open up a spot for us.

We are collecting a lot of extra cash by sticking around in CUSA. From the new TV deal, the exit fees from recently departed, and increased NCAA units from the FAU run.

If we do get a good offer from another conference, surely we can scrounge up the required 5ish million or so that it would take to go

GORs are never good or ideal for schools. But at least it is short and not prohibitively expensive to get away from it

And for the record, I still think they are morons too MT01.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
One of these things is not like the other.

And while I never would have wanted a move to the MAC, if the MAC GOR had been that short they may have gotten us.

Reactions: Hop45
I wish we had the full by-laws. Like we know from tax records that we pocketed significantly more than other schools. And for NCAA credits. Will the legacy 5 get more than the newbies? Is media money distributed evenly? Full bowl money? Etc. Be nice to know. I hate all the secrecy.

There’s a key point some of you are missing. No conference will willingly put themselves in the midst of potential litigation for breaking a contractual obligation a school has signed. This GOR guarantees the AAC or Sun Belt will look elsewhere for the next few years if they need to add. This is why the SEC has basically avoided ACC schools. Thankfully it’s only five years but the next move happen now and in the next two years. We will be staying in C-USA as a result.
Signing the GOR for the conference you are in is mandatory. The only way to not sign it is to go indy. The time to have switched conferences passed when we passed on the MAC. That was the only real option that was there. When we chose to stay we gave up the GOR right there. The only way that CBS and ESPN gives us the new media deal is with the GOR. Any school that would be called up to move will be facing the same issue of GOR. WKU, UTEP, LaTech, and NMSU included not to mention the AAC and MWC teams.

Signing the GOR for the conference you are in is mandatory. The only way to not sign it is to go indy. The time to have switched conferences passed when we passed on the MAC. That was the only real option that was there. When we chose to stay we gave up the GOR right there. The only way that CBS and ESPN gives us the new media deal is with the GOR. Any school that would be called up to move will be facing the same issue of GOR. WKU, UTEP, LaTech, and NMSU included not to mention the AAC and MWC teams.
Huh? No other G5 conference has one. AAC and MWC do not have a GOR. No one in Division 1 at all has one except ACC and now us.

I wish we had the full by-laws. Like we know from tax records that we pocketed significantly more than other schools. And for NCAA credits. Will the legacy 5 get more than the newbies? Is media money distributed evenly? Full bowl money? Etc. Be nice to know. I hate all the secrecy.
Posted this before, but the 990's from '22 are out...

MT 8,317,221
wkcc 4,953,227
UTEP 4,559,922
FIU 4,249,077
La Tech 4,042,185
Marshall 1,311,454
UAB 915,095
ODU 830,243
UTSA 740,311
North Texas 637,179
FAU 482,476
Southern Miss 422,482
Charlotte 418,930
Rice 332,878

We've got some exceptional payouts coming these next few years. I suspect if an offer for the SBC or AAC comes about they can make it work. Surely they are keeping some funds around just incase

Huh? No other G5 conference has one. AAC and MWC do not have a GOR. No one in Division 1 at all has one except ACC and now us.
What? The PAC12 and Big12 have GOR. PAC12's ran out. That's the difference there. The Big12 signed a 99 year dear back in 2012 I think and now it's been reduced down to like 10 years at least. OU and TX both had to pay over 80 mill to leave which includes the GOR buyout. The MAC does as well (which is why we passed. It was like 20 years) CUSA just signed a new deal which required the GOR. Any new deals signed at this point in any conference will include even more of a strict GOR. The Mountain West has a 33 mill exit fee which includes a GOR severence even if it isn't worded that way. Exit fees usually build in rights severence negotiations. Any good negotiator for a school will negotiate for a clean break and any good commish is getting as much money as they can. Both sides will give a bit to get the deal done. The SEC and Big10 doesn't have one because they don't need one. No one is leaving. EVER. They are the destination not the stepping stone.

800k per remaining year exit is more than fair. 5 year GOR is reasonable. When we passed up the MAC, all of us had to know that we were stuck for another 3 years at least. Plus we can negotiate down for a clean break. No biggie. If the Pac12 doesn't rebuild, we are CUSA for the next 5 - 10 years anyway. No way in hell the SBC has us back. It's either the AAC or the MAC and we will be stuck there. We will only go to the AAC when they are depleted.

Last edited:
Signing a TV deal JT is not a Grant of Rights. It’s a separate contractual obligation. Only ACC and C-ISA have one. Those are the facts.If Big 12 had a GOR Texas and Oklahoma wouldn’t be going to the SEC.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Looks like it's a pretty straightforward buyout though - 800k x remaining years. If we were to want to leave in, say 2025, then that's only 2.4 mil. That's not chump change for our program, but it's not an unworkable amount.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Looks like it's a pretty straightforward buyout though - 800k x remaining years. If we were to want to leave in, say 2025, then that's only 2.4 mil. That's not chump change for our program, but it's not an unworkable amount.

Silver lining I suppose. Problem is we don’t know exactly what the language has written into that binds us to the terms of the agreement. McMurphy obviously isn’t a lawyer and has been wrong about C-USA matters. If he’s correct it ostensibly would be different than ACC’s and easier to buy out of it. But again we just don’t know what's in it and what the specific language says. Without that, it’s difficult to say what the impact would be with certainty. Hopefully, we get to find out. But probably a moot point anyway.

Signing a TV deal JT is not a Grant of Rights. It’s a separate contractual obligation. Only ACC and C-ISA have one. Those are the facts.If Big 12 had a GOR Texas and Oklahoma wouldn’t be going to the SEC.
Big 12 does have one, and did. OU and UT left with one year remaining. A new GOR was signed through 30-31 year when their media deal ends.

MWC nor AAC has one but their buyout is significantly higher to make up for it.

Hopefully we will know soon if it matters. Supposedly Calford ACC talks are back on again.

Big 12 does have one, and did. OU and UT left with one year remaining. A new GOR was signed through 30-31 year when their media deal ends.

Hopefully we will know soon if it matters. Supposedly Calford ACC talks are back on again.

Thanks. I was under the impression their GOR had expired and didn’t know a new one went into effect.

I looked it up on multiple sources. A GOR is there in the B12 but they can buy out of it which they did for like 80 mill each. Sheesh man, you just like to argue sh!t. The MAC has one too because they wanted us to sign a long GOR to get in. Everything can be negotiated. Conferences want clean breaks as much as the teams do. Most exit fees in smaller conference combine rights buyout to distribute back among the teamms staying. MWC's buyout exit is basically the same as a GOR. 32 milly keeps you there and if you're leaving you better have a plan in place. Same freaking effect. If MT agreed to a standard 32 mill buyout, we would all be losing our minds even more on here because it locks you down the same way a freaking GOR can but it can also be negotiated.

Here you go. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...helped-keep-the-acc-together-amid-turbulence/

Our deal is pretty tame.

Last edited:

Yup, Basically everything I said.

It looks like at this point that the ACC is going to expand with California and Stanford...and possibly SMU.

I just don't see a way around it at this point. There's too much smoke and too much time and effort going into the negotiation. If it wasn't going to happen then they wouldn't be continuing to meet and discuss terms with ever increasing frequency. At this point, they're just ironing out the details and trying to make sure the Big 4 ACC Whineybabies (FSU, Clemson, NC St., UNC) are pacified.

SMU leaving the AAC does open 1 slot. I doubt Oregon St. or Wazoo would be added but that's possible. I think it's more likely they join the MWC.

So who takes that 1 spot in the AAC that SMU vacates ? (Assuming the ACC takes them + Calford)

La. Tech ?

It would be nice if Massaro could convince the AAC to strike pre-emptively and just add 3 schools to push it to 16 teams. La. Tech, WKU, and MT.

That won't happen though, and Memphis would shit a brick house if MT joined the same conference as them.

It looks like at this point that the ACC is going to expand with California and Stanford...and possibly SMU.

I just don't see a way around it at this point. There's too much smoke and too much time and effort going into the negotiation. If it wasn't going to happen then they wouldn't be continuing to meet and discuss terms with ever increasing frequency. At this point, they're just ironing out the details and trying to make sure the Big 4 ACC Whineybabies (FSU, Clemson, NC St., UNC) are pacified.

SMU leaving the AAC does open 1 slot. I doubt Oregon St. or Wazoo would be added but that's possible. I think it's more likely they join the MWC.

So who takes that 1 spot in the AAC that SMU vacates ? (Assuming the ACC takes them + Calford)

La. Tech ?

It would be nice if Massaro could convince the AAC to strike pre-emptively and just add 3 schools to push it to 16 teams. La. Tech, WKU, and MT.

That won't happen though, and Memphis would shit a brick house if MT joined the same conference as them.
Yup, Memphis would not like it at all which I have also said in the past. The only way we even move to the AAC is with Memphis gone.

Well we are screwed then because Memphis isn’t going anywhere

Most enjoyable part of even thinking about going to the American, angering Memphis.

Reactions: ewglenn
For the record, I'm not saying it ccan't ever happen. (Us and Memphis together) I'm saying that I think it won't ever happen. It hasn't yet and there are many reasons why. LaTech would go before us.

Last edited:
Yup, Memphis would not like it at all which I have also said in the past. The only way we even move to the AAC is with Memphis gone.
I like to argue? But you're the one digging in that there was no way in hell these schools would ever be in the ACC. Hmm.

The MAC does not have a GOR. They tried to implement one with us coming on board. And as I said I thought the Big 12's expired. I don't exactly keep up with the Big 12's inner dealings. My bad for not googling it. Sheesh.

Can someone explain to me this veto power that Memphis has over any conference they are in? I didn't realize Memphis has SEC level power to wield and make determinations on every addition so hoping someone can detail how that works.

Because ECU couldn't block Charlotte. USF couldn't block FAU. SMU couldn't block Rice, or North Texas or UTSA. So why is it that Memphis can block us? As I have said before, our barrier to entry is our own damn selves. As in the title of this thread. The people that run the university put us in this position. Not Memphis. At least that's my take.

As in the title of this thread. The people that run the university put us in this position. Not Memphis. At least that's my take.

I agree 100%. The reason we are not in the American already is because of our leadership. The rivalry thing does not matter in expansion when conferences are trying to survive and are looking for the schools that add the best value.

We are to G5 expansion/realignment what Oregon St and Wash St are to P5 expansion. The difference is we can’t blame geographic isolation. This is all on M&M and their cronies.

Can someone explain to me this veto power that Memphis has over any conference they are in? I didn't realize Memphis has SEC level power to wield and make determinations on every addition so hoping someone can detail how that works.

Because ECU couldn't block Charlotte. USF couldn't block FAU. SMU couldn't block Rice, or North Texas or UTSA. So why is it that Memphis can block us? As I have said before, our barrier to entry is our own damn selves. As in the title of this thread. The people that run the university put us in this position. Not Memphis. At least that's my take.
I've said it before. The only one keeping MT from joining any other conference, including the AAC, is MT.
Memphis would not like it but they do not have the power to block MT from joining the AAC if invited.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I like to argue? But you're the one digging in that there was no way in hell these schools would ever be in the ACC. Hmm.

The MAC does not have a GOR. They tried to implement one with us coming on board. And as I said I thought the Big 12's expired. I don't exactly keep up with the Big 12's inner dealings. My bad for not googling it. Sheesh.
If you read my last couple of comments, All realignment deals moving forward will include either a GOR or very high exit fees which is pretty much the same thing. Nothing to argue because it true.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT