ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone out there help me feel better about sports next year?

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

They are asleep at the wheel.

Extremely unlikely. WKU is likely the favorite, MT travels to BG this fall, and Stockstill has won one out of the last eight, and has lost four straight (a fireable offense, IMHO).

Raiders may never beat wku again as long as CRS remains in place.
Yep, and I would imagine there was a time in MTSU history as an OVC Football powerhouse that this was absolutely unacceptable.

Reactions: MTLynn
Yep, and I would imagine there was a time in MTSU history as an OVC Football powerhouse that this was absolutely unacceptable.
It should be unacceptable. Harbaugh had a 47-18 record. But he was 0-5 against Ohio St and was therefore on the hot seat and forced to sign a reduced contract. He had two great years of conf champs, beating the Buckeyes, and made the playoffs. Extension.

Stock is 6-9 against WKU, and as said a streak of L4 and 2-7 in the last 9, since they joined us in CUSA. And WKU has two conference champs in that time as well. Not to mention we lost to them in '07, at home, when they were still an FCS team as an independent.

He's also 5-7 vs the TN FBS schools, 0-4 against Vandy up the road. But let's go ahead and give Stock an extension too.

As AD I would have a $ bonus for beating them in the contract. Set a standard that x number of losses during the contract term results in a reduced buyout.

Reactions: mtfblue
It should be unacceptable. Harbaugh had a 47-18 record. But he was 0-5 against Ohio St and was therefore on the hot seat and forced to sign a reduced contract. He had two great years of conf champs, beating the Buckeyes, and made the playoffs. Extension.

Stock is 6-9 against WKU, and as said a streak of L4 and 2-7 in the last 9, since they joined us in CUSA. And WKU has two conference champs in that time as well. Not to mention we lost to them in '07, at home, when they were still an FCS team as an independent.

He's also 5-7 vs the TN FBS schools, 0-4 against Vandy up the road. But let's go ahead and give Stock an extension too.

As AD I would have a $ bonus for beating them in the contract. Set a standard that x number of losses during the contract term results in a reduced buyout.
Honestly I think there should be a bonus from beating WKU, Troy, any TN team, and P5. They can say those are just any other game but they aren’t fooling me.

All contracts should be incentive based for at least 40% of the value.

The problem with that is if you're a coach in demand with options, why would you sign that?

There's a difference between offering a good contract that will land a good coach and basically giving the program to a deadbeat with no way out. It's not that hard (130 other AD's have figured it out), but apparently it's beyond the ability of M&M.

Personally, I think i'd go with 5 years max. You can get an extension if you really want to stay, but they get harder and harder to achieve - not just "bowl eligibility"!. I'm talking conference titles, bowl wins, 10-win seasons, ranked teams, NFL guys, attendance, etc.

We should not hire a coach here to be here long term. We're better off if we compensate a coach well, and then move him up to the SEC or wherever. We need to become the place great coaching prospects want to come because it's a step to a great job - kind of like Arkansas State was before the Butch Jones landmine they stepped on. Maybe somewhere on down the line we're the destination job, but not now.

I would think this job will draw some good candidates when it comes open. We pay pretty well, the fan base is good just needs something to get excited about, good location, good facilities coming, not a terrible reputation, good track record with graduating players, no scandals. We should be able to get a good coach when Rick retires.

The problem with that is if you're a coach in demand with options, why would you sign that?

There's a difference between offering a good contract that will land a good coach and basically giving the program to a deadbeat with no way out. It's not that hard (130 other AD's have figured it out), but apparently it's beyond the ability of M&M.

Personally, I think i'd go with 5 years max. You can get an extension if you really want to stay, but they get harder and harder to achieve - not just "bowl eligibility"!. I'm talking conference titles, bowl wins, 10-win seasons, ranked teams, NFL guys, attendance, etc.

We should not hire a coach here to be here long term. We're better off if we compensate a coach well, and then move him up to the SEC or wherever. We need to become the place great coaching prospects want to come because it's a step to a great job - kind of like Arkansas State was before the Butch Jones landmine they stepped on. Maybe somewhere on down the line we're the destination job, but not now.
If the base is 600k, you add 100k for win over rival, P5 opponent and Conference Title. Gives you 900k. Another for 50k for top 25 end of the season ranking, 50k for Bowl Win. Now you're at 1 million. To add to that 200k for Playoff appearance. Now you're at 1.2 Million. Not bad for a G5 job.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

I've said this for years. Next man up mentality. We do that a few times and all those hungry young assistants will be begging to come work here because they know it is a place they can get noticed and move up from.

People fuss about "oh but you start over with a new coach". No. Not anymore. Give them a year to see what they need, maybe a bad year (so what), then it gets fixed year two by the portal.

I've said before in that new coach 5yr contract I'd rather have in 2 losing seasons, a middle 7-5 year and 2 champs, than 5 seasons of 7-5 with no champs. Plus that buyout $ each time would be mighty nice.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
No. We have to be competent to get an invite. Conference realignment isn't a participation trophy event.

Not sure what your actual point is with Memphis. No one else got invited to C-USA until a bunch of teams - Memphis included - left it for the AAC. Marshall didn't. ODU didn't. UTSA didn't. Etc. so you're arguing a point that isn't provable or disprovable.

So, they're ok with multiple teams from Texas. And from Florida. But two from Tenn is a bridge too far?? If MT was the best candidate Memphis could not stop it. The problem is that we are not the best candidate. Probably not even in the 10th at this point. I say "period" to that.

Regardless of what you believe (and I'm ok letting you be wrong about it), the only point that matters is right now we aren't going to the AAC whether Memphis is there or not. That requires being an attractive and viable option, and we do not meet that right now because of all the reasons we are all too aware of. I think we can agree on that.
Trust me when I say I’ve seen AAC football and MTSU would compete. Absolutely compete!!

Honestly I think there should be a bonus from beating WKU, Troy, any TN team, and P5. They can say those are just any other game but they aren’t fooling me.
I always appreciate your insight. I would gently push back on giving our coach extra $$$ for beating ANY conference opponent. Or, similar schools such as Troy, GA Southern, etc. We all realize we squandered a great opportunity, especially when UT was scuffling. Have we really digressed that much we are willing to pay bonuses to beat teams we should at least be 50/50 with? I am ok with paying bonus $$$ to beat ‘Bama or Mizzou.
All we talk about on here is winning championships, in any sport. I would much prefer to load up the $$$ incentives for winning division and conference championships. To where it’s a heck of an incentive. If we want to throw in some $$$ for beating SEC/ACC schools, so much the better. Just my .02.

I am one that thinks Stock has done a good job here for the most part given everything, but he has overstayed his welcome. He has done all he can do here. Time to move on to someone else.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
I always appreciate your insight. I would gently push back on giving our coach extra $$$ for beating ANY conference opponent. Or, similar schools such as Troy, GA Southern, etc. We all realize we squandered a great opportunity, especially when UT was scuffling. Have we really digressed that much we are willing to pay bonuses to beat teams we should at least be 50/50 with? I am ok with paying bonus $$$ to beat ‘Bama or Mizzou.
All we talk about on here is winning championships, in any sport. I would much prefer to load up the $$$ incentives for winning division and conference championships. To where it’s a heck of an incentive. If we want to throw in some $$$ for beating SEC/ACC schools, so much the better. Just my .02.
That’s a fair point. I don’t necessarily mean a big bonus just something like 5-10k for beating WKU. Imo I think there should be something extra but only for really big games. Maybe just do WKU and P5 opponents. I would be willing to make the P5 win a little more money. Maybe 10-15k per win. My whole point is those games shouldn’t be “just another game”. I 100% agree with loading up on incentives for championships.

“Competing” and “winning” are two different objectives, and most of us are sick of hearing our Head Football Coach use the “c” word after every loss for the last 17 seasons.
You know when the pundits say some statistic of "their 4 losses were by a combined 7 points"?

Know what, that is competing. And that is still a loss.

Unless it is a rebuild year (say new coach year one after 3 losing seasons in a row), and you know that year will be rough but improvement is showing...competing doesn't matter.

Year 18, competing shouldn't even be in the vocabulary.

You know when the pundits say some statistic of "their 4 losses were by a combined 7 points"?

Know what, that is competing. And that is still a loss.

Unless it is a rebuild year (say new coach year one after 3 losing seasons in a row), and you know that year will be rough but improvement is showing...competing doesn't matter.

Year 18, competing shouldn't even be in the vocabulary.
I would take 8-4 with 4 losses by a combines 7 points next year given we play Bama and Missouri. Of course if we can lose by 1-3 points against Bama and missouri, we shouldn’t lose to anyone else.

I would take 8-4 with 4 losses by a combines 7 points next year given we play Bama and Missouri. Of course if we can lose by 1-3 points against Bama and missouri, we shouldn’t lose to anyone else.
Bingo. That is one thing that annoys me with Stock is inconsistency in games. We beat Miami then get throttled against UTSA. We beat GA Tech then lost to ULM.

2017 lost to Vandy (who finished 5-7), beat Syracuse (who finished 4-8), the got throttled by Minnesota (who finished 5-7).

If we are close in Bama and Mizzou (a winnable game), we absolutely should run through CUSA, but we've never seen consistency. We will have a RB have 150 yrds one week and 5 the next. A QB throw for 300yrds/run 100, and the next week throw for 75.

I am one that thinks Stock has done a good job here for the most part given everything, but he has overstayed his welcome. He has done all he can do here. Time to move on to someone else.
He has no where else to go. Should have moved on in 2009. Instead, the big three gave him a golden parachute. The resulting lack of incentive paralyzed this football program as new conference additions with young, energetic HCs came in, excelled and moved on.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Neat perspective.

I like the closure of the article where you get the feeling that WKU would jump ship at first blush.

I hope we would too.

All valid points. Across the board. MAC was stability, new TV deal is 100000% better reach wise and $ wise, bball tournament is better, and anyone would be naive to not always have your ear to the ground.

I think that was our biggest mistake in all this is McP was complacent. I feel he didn't realize we need to always be talking and listening and it bit our butts.

Reactions: ewglenn
Neat perspective.

I like the closure of the article where you get the feeling that WKU would jump ship at first blush.

I hope we would too.
We could have both gone to the MAC but we were too broke. This is as good as it ever gonna get so just get used to that.

Reactions: MTTim
We could have both gone to the MAC but we were too broke. This is as good as it ever gonna get so just get used to that.
I think it was the 25 year Grant of Rights that was the major holdup for us. It sounds like WKU would’ve been cool with that. I don’t know much about GoR but would that have essentially kept us in the MAC for 25 years no matter inevitable future conference realignment?

When half our conference bailed for the AAC and SBC I was on board with the MAC. I mean CUSA was the sinking ship and the MAC was the lifeboat. After things started falling into place, I wasn’t for that. I don’t think MT fits, culturally, in the MAC. I wasn’t excited about playing any MAC team. Right now, I’m not that excited about playing CUSA teams either outside of WKU and LA Tech. I do think JSU and KSU have very strong potential for good regional and fresh rivalries (looking at the current SBC model). Icing on the cake is the new media deal. Financially, it seems that CUSA is on par with with our G5 peers in that regard, but feel free to correct me

I also believe it’s in MT and WKU’s best and joint interest to stick together

Whatever you think about Stock, facilities needed to be upgraded 10-15 years ago. It didn't happen. And not for lack of trying.

Like Stock. Hate Stock. He's been hamstrung by poor facilities. And that does affect recruiting.

Could he be more aggressive? Yes.

Should he make some staff changes? Yes.

Is the scheduling hurting him? Yes.

Has he made some bone-headed comments / decisions? Absolutely.

But MT has to upgrade facilities. If not for Stockstill, then do it for the next guy.
Hopefully for the next guy.

I think it revolves around on campus living first. I shared that information in the past how we stack up against other G5 schools with more passionate fans. We are lacking in that department. If anyone would like me to look up others I can. I haven’t really found someone with less.

Here are some rough numbers:
JMU- 6.7k
App- 5.9k
Georgia Southern- 5.4k
Kennesaw St- 5.2k
WKU- 5k
CCU- 4.6k
FAU- 4k
UAB- 3.3k
UTSA- 3k
MTSU- 2.7k
Definitely need more dorm space for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT