ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone out there help me feel better about sports next year?

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
When i think of next year i just dont see anything positive. Any hope? We are years away from a championship.

Basketball is our only hope next year. At least we have some pieces there. Frustrated and becoming apathetic.

Tennis, softball, w basketball, m basketball, football, baseball, all had wins over top 25 teams and either won championships or competed for them.some see the glass as half full and other see it half empty……. I might suggest you write a check to the BRAA and get All In!

Reactions: ewglenn
When i think of next year i just dont see anything positive. Any hope? We are years away from a championship.

Basketball is our only hope next year. At least we have some pieces there. Frustrated and becoming apathetic.
I think women’s basketball we will be really good again. Men’s basketball is a mystery, but a solid nucleus is there and new playera look promising. One more player left to go get. All depends on who they get, how long it takes for them to gel, and how Jalen Jordan does. He could be the shooter we need. I am the most optimistic about basketball in the “revenue” sports.

Reactions: MTsumner92
I think both basketball programs will be in the hunt. I’m hoping football can win another bowl game. Tennis should be a force.

No hope for next year, or the next, etc. it’s over.

MT is essentially a glorified JUCO now. We are too broke to be anything else. We will take the power 5 3rd string rejects and hope they can play (and the vast majority can’t), and the power 5 will steal all our good players in football and mens basketball. Hell, even our mediocre players are leaving for better G5 opportunities and the power 5.

So how can MT ever compete and build a strong roster capable of winning anything meaningful when it’s best prospects flee for greener pastures every year?

Answer: they can’t. The university is broke and the fan base is broke as well (and dying). It is what it is. The program has been slowly bled dry over the last 2 decades due to ineffective leadership and ball tickling results. It is unrecoverable at this point.

The only people who will care moving forward at a school like MT are the players families, the coaches/admins who depend on the program for their livelihood, and a select few delusional fans. It’s a numbers game and MT simply doesn’t have the resources for it.

It’s over.

Last edited:

MT is essentially a glorified JUCO now. We are too broke to be anything else. We will take the power 5 3rd string rejects and hope they can play (and the vast majority can’t), and the power 5 will steal all our good players in football and mens basketball. Hell, even our mediocre players are leaving for better G5 opportunities and the power 5.

So how can MT ever compete and build a strong roster capable of winning anything meaningful when it’s best prospects flee for greener pastures every year?

Answer: they can’t. The university is broke and the fan base is broke as well (and dying). It is what it is. The program has been slowly bled dry over the last 2 decades due to ineffective leadership and ball tickling results. It is unrecoverable at this point.

The only people who will care moving forward at a school like MT are the players families, the coaches/admins who depend on the program for their livelihood, and a select few delusional fans. It’s a numbers game and MT simply doesn’t have the resources for it.

It’s over.
Unfortunately...that is what i see. Football cant replace Ferguson. Light years behind in arms race. Don know if anyone still has hope in our leadership. Looks bleak to me.

WBB will be a threat to win conference (and should continue to win ~23-25 games per season).

MBB is an unknown with so much turnover due to portal, but I'd guess MT MBB will probably finish with around 20 wins

We're heading into year 18 with CRS, my guess is MT FB will be finish the 2023 season 6-6 (+/- one game). After 17 seasons, that's who CRS is : Mr. .500.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum

It’s over.

Maybe it's just my eternal optimism, but I don't think we're dead.

We need to realize that we're selling an entertainment product, and we need to stop telling the customers what they want and forcing it down their throats, and actually start responding to what they actually do want.

What's the difference? For whatever reason, the leadership actually believes that a program that doesn't crater, graduates it's players, and simply plugs along is what people want. No one cares about that stuff.

What does the customer actually want - well, to quote one of my favorite movies - "If you ain't first, you're last". Stop trying to be above average, and start trying to be excellent. You'll be forgiven if you try and fail. Get up, and try again. It's the fact that we stopped trying that's galling.

There's money to be had. Our deadbeat HC has one of the highest salaries in the conference. The athletic budget has to be better than some of the crud in our conference (Liberty excepted). We have a big school, in a big metro area that produces plenty of talent. The potential is there.

As for the transfer portal - we just need to adapt. There's just as much, if not more, talent that is available to come in through the door than will go out. Lane left for VT? Look at the kid from MSU that's in the portal - go get him. The transfer portal is an entirely new talent stream for us. Get some ambitious go get'em coaches and see what happens.

We have too much potential. M&M and Stock can't possibly be around forever, right? I don't know when that glorious day will arrive, but it will. Until then......

We need to realize that we're selling an entertainment product, and we need to stop telling the customers what they want and forcing it down their throats, and actually start responding to what they actually do want.

What's the difference? For whatever reason, the leadership actually believes that a program that doesn't crater, graduates it's players, and simply plugs along is what people want. No one cares about that stuff.

What does the customer actually want - well, to quote one of my favorite movies - "If you ain't first, you're last". Stop trying to be above average, and start trying to be excellent. You'll be forgiven if you try and fail. Get up, and try again. It's the fact that we stopped trying that's galling.
Very few, if any, companies can get away telling their customers : "You think you want this, but here's what you really want."

And I think this is why there is so much frustration among the fan base / supporters re: state of MT athletics. Fans want to win. They want to be entertained.

And, as much as I LOVE my hometown, watching MT football makes me want to poke out my eyes. I've enjoyed watching UTK (and the XFL) football more than watching MT the last few years.

Even against peer/conference institutions, MT doesn't look like a FBS program. They look slow, small, and out coached. I expect MT to look small against Alabama. I don't expect them to look small and slow against UAB.

You get what you aim for. And to the fans, it seems like MT is aiming for .500 on the football field (and honestly, the contract set that as the "standard").
There's money to be had. Our deadbeat HC has one of the highest salaries in the conference. The athletic budget has to be better than some of the crud in our conference (Liberty excepted). We have a big school, in a big metro area that produces plenty of talent. The potential is there.

As for the transfer portal - we just need to adapt. There's just as much, if not more, talent that is available to come in through the door than will go out. Lane left for VT? Look at the kid from MSU that's in the portal - go get him. The transfer portal is an entirely new talent stream for us. Get some ambitious go get'em coaches and see what happens.

We have too much potential. M&M and Stock can't possibly be around forever, right? I don't know when that glorious day will arrive, but it will. Until then......
Roster construction for MT shouldn't be rocket science.

Half the class in 3 star HS types
Half the class from the portal, strategically recruited based on need, depth, and roster construction. Don't try to replace a Lane with incoming freshman, replace Lane with a Jr from the portal.

The athletic budget has to be better than some of the crud in our conference (Liberty excepted).
FCS not included, revenues mostly match the budgets:

01.) Liberty University - $47,756,081

02.) Florida International University - $37,417,126

03.) Middle Tennessee State University - $34,840,886

04.) The University of Texas at El Paso - $29,468,952

05.) New Mexico State University - $27,724,312

06.) Western Kentucky University - $26,568,285

07.) Louisiana Tech University - $21,717,648

FCS not included, revenues mostly match the budgets:

01.) Liberty University - $47,756,081

02.) Florida International University - $37,417,126

03.) Middle Tennessee State University - $34,840,886

04.) The University of Texas at El Paso - $29,468,952

05.) New Mexico State University - $27,724,312

06.) Western Kentucky University - $26,568,285

07.) Louisiana Tech University - $21,717,648
KSU $25,178,544
SHSU $20,600,321
JSU $18,344,447

I've been gathering my thoughts on this one. Many will disagree, but oh well. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
I will support MT no matter what (baring some huge illegal repulsive scandal that makes everyone step away for a while). I full 10000000% believe we as a school are capable of winning regular championships in the revenue sports, of being ranked, and being nationally known. As RaiderDoug said, look at the area we are in. Now. That being said, it will not happen with who is in place right now. Stock is a .500 or so coach and I do not believe he will win a championship. If he does, it will be with an 8-4 or so season and a down year from Liberty or WKU and the like. He is not capable of a 10-2 or 11-1 season becoming a regular thing.

The apathy falls on the admin for allowing it. Blame CM. Blame McP. I don't care. Both signed the contract that set the standard extremely low. I don't blame Stock. I would've signed it too. He is what he is. That low standard has created a major disconnect to fans.

I truly believe it can be fixed, but it will take new blood from pres, to AD, to coach. And it will take multiple consecutive years of double digit wins and champs. By that time our coaches will be yanked, but a good AD will have a pipeline and it will be next man up.

But great magic in the big 3 sports won't happen next year. Women will be their usual selves. We are heading towards what unless something crazy happens will be Matt's tenure. I think there is a chance for improvement in post season there. But next year, 25 wins or so and a 1st round NCAA or 2nd NIT outage. I love CRI but he is what he is when it comes to adjustments needed in post-season games.

Men, 20 wins, maybe a conf tourney run, but nothing grand. I truly hope unless 20 reg season wins and a tourney champ app happens that we move on from McD, but past tells us that probably won't happen.

Football, 6-6 with a bowl. I truly feel we can help ourselves even not winning a champ by winning a third consecutive bowl, but I'm not holding my breath. Football will not improve on field, in the stands, in the public eye until Stock is gone. And he will be gone on his terms which is a really scary thought with where college athletics are headed as we will be further behind.

I'll always wear blue and give to the school be it BRAA or academics. I just can't step away. But I also see things for what they are. Middle.

Unfortunately...that is what i see. Football cant replace Ferguson. Light years behind in arms race. Don know if anyone still has hope in our leadership. Looks bleak to me.
I can see us not even fielding a football team in ten years. If you're not P5 why bother? That's not hyperbole.

After seeing how hard many of our spring sports teams fight so hard to try for a championship whether in regular season or in tournament playoffs it makes me think 1 thing. If we just had a football program that tried as hard as our spring teams to fight for a championship season, we would have an athletic department I could be pretty damn proud of.

Nothing but eternal optimism that is borderline delusion in my opinion.

You can talk all day about location, size of the University, whatever.

But it doesn't matter. MT is poorly supported, especially when you consider that location and size of the University that you speak of. It's actually pathetic how poorly Murfreesboro supports the school despite MTSU basically building the F'ing town. MTSU is completely taken for granted by the city, much-like the working middle class man and the federal government completely taking us for granted.

It was never going to end well when college athletics became pay to play. MT is broke, has a dying fan base (literally an old graying fan base shrinking by the year), and has some of the worst "leadership" I've seen in D1 sports. Even when compared to our peers, they at least have decent fan support (sans FIU), community support, money/maybe a collective, timely facility upgrades, and most importantly competent leadership. We have none of that here at MT, have not had it for decades, and doesn't appear to be on the horizon any time soon either. The repeated failures and missteps brought upon the school by McPhee, the board, and the cronies responsible for the University is indescribably bad. An entire thesis could be done on it.

I don't understand how anyone here can be optimistic given the circumstances, even if you are an eternally optimistic person. The house is burning down all around us. Look at what happened with conference re-alignment. Look at support for our teams. Look at how all our best players are leaving for greener pastures, even to other G5 programs. Tell me, what's going to change that?

I could see all of MT athletics shutting down or going to the NAIA level in 10-20 years. Nobody cares about Middle Tennessee State University or its athletics programs

Last edited:
We ain't going NAIA ever. The state subsidizes enough stuff and there has been enough money so far. We are in the same boat as every other G5 out there. Some are better than others but overall, every G5 is facing this. I personally don't care about it anymore. I'll keep watching the games because it's still better than watching Vandy or some other regional team. They'll keep playing and I'll keep up with them. We'll keep getting other players to replace what we lose. It doesn't matter in the end. It's more fun than other things out ther for me. I know the ceiling and it doesn't bother me. Stock is limitied and we know what we'll get each season. Still better than a lot of teams so it really doesn't matter. I have zero control over it so it is what it's gonna be.

Reactions: ewglenn and MTFAN61
We ain't going NAIA ever. The state subsidizes enough stuff and there has been enough money so far. We are in the same boat as every other G5 out there. Some are better than others but overall, every G5 is facing this. I personally don't care about it anymore. I'll keep watching the games because it's still better than watching Vandy or some other regional team. They'll keep playing and I'll keep up with them. We'll keep getting other players to replace what we lose. It doesn't matter in the end. It's more fun than other things out ther for me. I know the ceiling and it doesn't bother me. Stock is limitied and we know what we'll get each season. Still better than a lot of teams so it really doesn't matter. I have zero control over it so it is what it's gonna be.

I would disagree that we are in the same boat as other G5's. We are more like FIU than we are like a Liberty, UAB, UTSA, Marshall, etc. Those schools have significantly better coaches, administrators, and community support.

Just like there are levels to the Power 5, with the SEC & Big Ten at the very top.....there are levels amongst the G5. And we are at the bottom.

The determining factor that will always hinder MT is the lack of community support (and thus $$$$). I don't think I would even be hopeful if McPhee disappeared and Massaro and all our mediocre coaches retired tomorrow.

Even with a new President, AD, and coaching staffs I would still be very concerned about the lack of community support. You can argue that would excite and entice some fresh blood to show up, but I just don't think it would be lasting or meaningful. For some reason, the middle Tennessee area has just never supported the Blue Raiders, or anything MTSU related for that matter. The university is so unbelievably taken for granted it's sickening. Too many are born bleeding orange thinking they have to cheer for UTK by default, only care about the SEC/Power 5 because that's what they are programmed to do, or they focus on professional teams like the Titans, etc. And you can't overcome that. You just can't. The final stage of the grieving process is acceptance. It's time to accept it.

It would take an ungodly run of wins, championships, culture change, and swag to change the dynamic. And as much as we all want it to happen, deep down we know it never will. We deliver the exact opposite of what's needed to build a powerhouse G5 program. The most predictable, boring, square, flat results with coaches who have the personality of a wet paper bag and administrators who could not be more ignorant and out of touch.

Last edited:
I would disagree that we are in the same boat as other G5's. We are more like FIU than we are like a Liberty, UAB, UTSA, Marshall, etc. Those schools have significantly better coaches, administrators, and community support.

Just like there are levels to the Power 5, with the SEC & Big Ten at the very top.....there are levels amongst the G5. And we are at the bottom.

The determining factor that will always hinder MT is the lack of community support (and thus $$$$). I don't think I would even be hopeful if McPhee disappeared and Massaro and all our mediocre coaches retired tomorrow.

Even with a new President, AD, and coaching staffs I would still be very concerned about the lack of community support. You can argue that would excite and entice some fresh blood to show up, but I just don't think it would be lasting or meaningful. For some reason, the middle Tennessee area has just never supported the Blue Raiders, or anything MTSU related for that matter. The university is so unbelievably taken for granted it's sickening. Too many are born bleeding orange thinking they have to cheer for UTK by default, only care about the SEC/Power 5 because that's what they are programmed to do, or they focus on professional teams like the Titans, etc. And you can't overcome that. You just can't. The final stage of the grieving process is acceptance. It's time to accept it.

It would take an ungodly run of wins, championships, culture change, and swag to change the dynamic. And as much as we all want it to happen, deep down we know it never will. We deliver the exact opposite of what's needed to build a powerhouse G5 program. The most predictable, boring, square, flat results with coaches who have the personality of a wet paper bag and administrators who could not be more ignorant and out of touch.
UTSA lost to Troy in their bowl game and football was the only sport they were worth a crap in, We beat Marshall more than other CUSA teams and they haven't really done much more than us in football since 2013. Liberty is funded well but they are in our conference so who cares? Collectively, we and WKU have the most conference USA titles since 2013. When we were in the SBC, it was the same there. We have done more than just about every MAC team out there and most of the MWC and SBC. There are not really different levels of G5. If you ain't in the SEC or B1G10, you won't matter anyway. That's where it's going. I'm not saying I like our admin AT ALL but we ain't terrible either. We won 8 games in football and were only one of 3 teams that won their bowl game in Cusa. Men's BB is subpar but most of the other teams are pretty good. It's not worth getting worked up over. I know that much.

Reactions: ewglenn
Some of you guys are depressing. You try to suck the life out of the few die hards we have. Acceptance is important and understanding what we’re up against is as well.

I have a unique perspective imo because I truly am an outsider. I’m a younger (32) fan, not from Tennessee, that fully supports the school. It is surprising that the community doesn’t support the school more. However, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of MTSU decals and licenses plates in the area. I’ve talked with a lot of people and it seems most people like to chat about us when I bring it up. (managing a business) There are people that would support the school we just have to give them a reason to.

The year before last was a prime example. MBB started to get big support from the fans because they were winning. People do not care who you’re winning against they just know if you’re winning. We’ve got to start scheduling in football to try and build some momentum. We cannot afford to finish September 1-3 or best case 2-2. It kills any chance for positive growth.

If I were the president I would 100% make a move with the AD tomorrow and pressure Rick to retire. We need new blood because our die hard supporters have been so turned off by the current administration that’s the only thing that could bring them back in the fold imo. Lee would be my guy. I loved the idea of painting the Boro blue and getting local business to display MTSU gear. It was a great idea and we need more of that. The relationship with the city needs to get better. I’m not sure the ins and outs to that but it shouldn’t be difficult to achieve with someone new running the place.

I constantly tell my staff that we will become whatever we allow. If you expect excellence that’s what you’ll get. We just need a leader that expects it and reacts if excellence isn’t happening.

Honestly, I don't think you can condemn the community support when the community has never been given anything to really rally around or support.

Taking for granted is what MT administration has been doing to the community. It's as if they just expect the fans to show up just because. I'm an MT alum, i've donated to MT, I've bought tickets through the ticket office - I know they know who I am. I can't recall a single out-reach moment other than a random spam email. How's about mailing me a sticker or a pocket schedule? Nada.

Anyone putting out poor products that don't generate fan support isn't unique to MT - I live in Knoxville, and even UTK has struggled when they failed to put out an exciting and quality product. Plenty of fans dressed up as steel bleachers were in Neyland between 2017-2020.

We've had some blips, and I think we've seen some big crowds and some genuine excitement. Unfortunately, just as the spark starts to kindle, it gets snuffed out by disappointment and sustained mediocrity.

I don't even think it would take an ungodly run of success either. You just need to give folks something interesting ("Look everyone! We're bowl eligibile" ain't it) and then provide them with some return on the investment of time/emotion.

As for NAIA and all that talk - college football ain't going anywhere. We've got teams climbing all over themselves to get to our level. The shift to streaming is going to create more opportunity than less opportunity - I love the weeknight games focus. We're not Idaho - we've got advantages teams like that or UL-Monroe or teams like that will never have (barring some bizarre shift in demographics or geography). I'm not saying we're a sleeping Alabama, or even a program like UCF that can work itself into the P5, but the building blocks to be at the upper end of the G5 exist and aren't going anywhere.

Maybe they do end up turning out the lights and shutting it all down, but until then, I honestly believe we're just some good leadership away from having a program that is successful on and off the field.

Like I said before, this can't last forever. We might all be in the old folks home when it gets here, but Stock's and M&M's apathy and incompetence can't last forever.

Y’all need to get over the Stockstill fixation.

At present he’s on down the list of our problems. I don’t think most of you understand how bad the facility gap is right now. You know how we used to look at Monroe back in the early 2000s? Well, we’re Monroe now.
We have old, dilapidated facilities. The biggest problem at the school is McPhee. He’s clueless, has zero political clout and has never not once led a successful fundraising campaign. Second to him is the chairman of the board.
The problem is the fact that everyone in power is 70 freaking years old and just playing out the string.
Is Stock a championship coach? Nope. Not even close. But it could’ve been a lot worse the last few years. Truth be told, if you’re being objective about it, 2022 might have been his best coaching job.

Do we need new blood leading the football program? Yeah, we do. But who worth a crap are you going to be able to hire right now? Answer: no one. Until we get these blessed facilities built, we’re at the bizarre point in time where we’re actually better off having Stock as coach.

Y’all need to get over the Stockstill fixation.

At present he’s on down the list of our problems. I don’t think most of you understand how bad the facility gap is right now. You know how we used to look at Monroe back in the early 2000s? Well, we’re Monroe now.
We have old, dilapidated facilities. The biggest problem at the school is McPhee. He’s clueless, has zero political clout and has never not once led a successful fundraising campaign. Second to him is the chairman of the board.
The problem is the fact that everyone in power is 70 freaking years old and just playing out the string.
Is Stock a championship coach? Nope. Not even close. But it could’ve been a lot worse the last few years. Truth be told, if you’re being objective about it, 2022 might have been his best coaching job.

Do we need new blood leading the football program? Yeah, we do. But who worth a crap are you going to be able to hire right now? Answer: no one. Until we get these blessed facilities built, we’re at the bizarre point in time where we’re actually better off having Stock as coach.
I’ve been saying that for awhile. Stock isn’t all that bad and I’m actually shocked at how well he has done given the circumstances (schedule, facilities, etc). He does a lot of losing to people he shouldn’t which is the biggest problem but he is here until he retires.

We desperately need facilities. The SAPC is a great first step but phase 2 and 3 need to get some legs on them too. The video board needs to happen asap too. Our video boards at Floyd Stadium and the Murphy Center are extremely dated. Replays are hard to really see and I wish they did a better job showing more replays on big/important plays. It might not be a bad idea to have some “hot dog vendors” walk through the stands.

No doubt we could be worse. That is what a lot of the Twitter warriors use as ammo for keeping Stock. I use the mentality that I'd rather have 2 champs and 2 losing seasons in four years than four 7-5 seasons in a row with three bowl wins.

I used to believe as a manager in keeping an employee just because they were ok, showed up, didn't excel but didn't slack either. I work for a different company and now don't feel that way at all. Hire only the best.

I 10000% agree facilities need to happen regardless of pres, board, coach, etc.

I really think a public forum would be beneficial for ideas. Have a few on campus, a few around the area, a few zoom for those far away. Let people feel like they matter.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I don't buy the facilities argument. I think you guys latch onto that as it's easier to face that than the trap we're really in. "Just build the facilities....".

I've got news for you guys - the only people who are actually going to see those facilities are the low 2-star recruits who can be landed with minimal effort - which has been the M.O of this staff from day 1.

Next, facilities don't mean near as much as everything thinks they do. If they did, teams with poor facilities relative to their peers wouldn't be successful. Yet, they are. At every level. In every conference. Good coaches find a way. No Stock isn't dealt the greatest hand around, but there's nothing here that would have prevented even some success here over the course of almost two decades.

Finally, facilities and infrastructure are built after success, not before. I know you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and this is sort of an opportunity that was squandered years ago, but programs grow and build an invest over time. You don't plop a new facility down and wait for the trophies to show up.

I don't understand why or where we have such a facilities shortfall either. I'm sure you can google some shiny new graphics of some other programs or even a Texas high school, but I do have a hard time believing that it's the worst of the worst of the worst. This program's budget and spending has been in the upper half of every conference ever year it's been in existence, and sometimes at the top of it. Yet, where did the money go?

I also don't buy the whole "who will you attract" with these facilities argument either. First of all, this is still one of only about 130 jobs on the planet. And it's still one of the better paying jobs of all of the G5, for a program that has a significant budget advantage over its peers. And for anyone looking for a stepping stone, starting at a G5 is still the way to do it. Somebody with cojones and an ego will take this job. Will he be successful? Who knows, but at this point, anyone else is worth a shot. Keep scratching off lottery tickets and you'll win eventually.

Facilities aren't the magic bullet here. You can send these 3 duds to Alabama, and you'd still get the same no-effort results.

I don't buy the facilities argument. I think you guys latch onto that as it's easier to face that than the trap we're really in. "Just build the facilities....".

I've got news for you guys - the only people who are actually going to see those facilities are the low 2-star recruits who can be landed with minimal effort - which has been the M.O of this staff from day 1.

Next, facilities don't mean near as much as everything thinks they do. If they did, teams with poor facilities relative to their peers wouldn't be successful. Yet, they are. At every level. In every conference. Good coaches find a way. No Stock isn't dealt the greatest hand around, but there's nothing here that would have prevented even some success here over the course of almost two decades.

Finally, facilities and infrastructure are built after success, not before. I know you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and this is sort of an opportunity that was squandered years ago, but programs grow and build an invest over time. You don't plop a new facility down and wait for the trophies to show up.

I don't understand why or where we have such a facilities shortfall either. I'm sure you can google some shiny new graphics of some other programs or even a Texas high school, but I do have a hard time believing that it's the worst of the worst of the worst. This program's budget and spending has been in the upper half of every conference ever year it's been in existence, and sometimes at the top of it. Yet, where did the money go?

I also don't buy the whole "who will you attract" with these facilities argument either. First of all, this is still one of only about 130 jobs on the planet. And it's still one of the better paying jobs of all of the G5, for a program that has a significant budget advantage over its peers. And for anyone looking for a stepping stone, starting at a G5 is still the way to do it. Somebody with cojones and an ego will take this job. Will he be successful? Who knows, but at this point, anyone else is worth a shot. Keep scratching off lottery tickets and you'll win eventually.

Facilities aren't the magic bullet here. You can send these 3 duds to Alabama, and you'd still get the same no-effort results.
This. And to all the other excuses we hear. Which are just that. Excuses. I can assure you that Coastal doesn’t have better facilities yet has done more in a few years than we have in over 20. Facilities help you on fringes but they don’t win the day.

For newer fans like Glenn I get it. You want to support. You want to have something to believe in. To have hope. But for you guys you have to understand that many of us have been here for a long time and seen the mismanagement, the poor decisions, the perpetual acceptance of mediocrity, the “F the fans/alumni” mentality, etc. For us, those things can’t be undone with the current status quo, and status quo is all the current leadership seems good at and there’s no hope for a brighter tomorrow. Sorry if that comes off as pessimistic to an optimist but that’s the reality. Our reality, and nothing is changing that anytime soon.

Day 1,636

This. And to all the other excuses we hear. Which are just that. Excuses. I can assure you that Coastal doesn’t have better facilities yet has done more in a few years than we have in over 20. Facilities help you on fringes but they don’t win the day.

For newer fans like Glenn I get it. You want to support. You want to have something to believe in. To have hope. But for you guys you have to understand that many of us have been here for a long time and seen the mismanagement, the poor decisions, the perpetual acceptance of mediocrity, the “F the fans/alumni” mentality, etc. For us, those things can’t be undone with the current status quo, and status quo is all the current leadership seems good at and there’s no hope for a brighter tomorrow. Sorry if that comes off as pessimistic to an optimist but that’s the reality. Our reality, and nothing is changing that anytime soon.

Day 1,636
I’m glad you brought up CCU. Their facility was completed way before they moved to the FBS (2010). It is substantially better than ours and is still below the average G5. They are also finalizing their indoor practice facility and it will be built way before ours will.

I’m not sure where the money went but we are certainly “the worst of the worst of the worst”. I’ve looked at a lot of facilities and I have had a hard time finding anyone with worse facilities than us. It’s so bad our website doesn’t even list them. Literally name anyone you’d like and I’ll try to find examples.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
The only thing I ask is even if it's 10 years down the road, can we just do away with the planned massive winged horse statue at the Athletics Plaza entrance? If we're having trouble with money that will save thousands of dollars I would be glad to see dropped from the budget. Much rather have a grassy knoll with a water fountain than that.

The only thing I ask is even if it's 10 years down the road, can we just do away with the planned massive winged horse statue at the Athletics Plaza entrance? If we're having trouble with money that will save thousands of dollars I would be glad to see dropped from the budget. Much rather have a grassy knoll with a water fountain than that.
Yeah that thing is absolutely horrendous. I have been hoping we’d embrace the horseshoe more but I wouldn’t want to take away from the statue in front of Peck Hall. Why not just have the concrete management group make a big blue MT to go there instead? It would be way cheaper and look a lot better.

I’m glad you brought up CCU. Their facility was completed way before they moved to the FBS (2010). It is substantially better than ours and is still below the average G5. They are also finalizing their indoor practice facility and it will be built way before ours will.

Not sure why you’re glad I brought it up. Not impressed with CC. It’s a tiny space with a bunch of stuff crammed into it. The Rec center is double the size of their top facility. The IPF will be a nice addition but it’s not like this is next gen stuff. We had lockers redone too. The only difference is theirs is part of the stadium where most of ours is adjacent. What they have is not moving the needle and they have a crappy stadium. What moved the needle was a good coach and an admin with some vision.

Day 1,636
Our facilities are EMBARASSING.
Took a friend to a game last year, first time I’d been since the 2018 Championship game.
The whole stadium is decrepit. Practice fields are shit.

We are in legitimate ULM territory when it comes to how far behind we have fallen.
We have legitimately done nothing to enhance what the players have in 20 years.

Not sure why you’re glad I brought it up. Not impressed with CC. It’s a tiny space with a bunch of stuff crammed into it. The Rec center is double the size of their top facility. The IPF will be a nice addition but it’s not like this is next gen stuff. We had lockers redone too. The only difference is theirs is part of the stadium where most of ours is adjacent. What they have is not moving the needle and they have a crappy stadium. What moved the needle was a good coach and an admin with some vision.
I’m saying their below average facility is still light years ahead of what we have. Have you been in our facilities besides the football stadium?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT