ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone out there help me feel better about sports next year?

Sure, whatever you say. We were invited only after they left. They didn't have a say in us being invited when we were because they were gone but they C blocked us plenty before 2012. CUSA didn't want 2 TN teams the same way the AAC doesn't. It's a 2 part scenario like I said in the comment before. If the conference doesn't want 2 TN teams, then it's out of our hands. Memphis has to be gone for us to get an invite period.
I think the AAC missed the mark on a few additions. UAB was a smart move. FAU paired with USF was smart. I understand the idea with Charlotte but they should have gotten App instead. UTSA was smart. UNT was smart to pair with SMU. Rice was the worst add by a long shot.

I feel like adding built in geographical rivals would have been smart but they picked some of the wrong ones. I really think we would have been a better add than Rice and Charlotte. The other four I cannot really argue.

Reactions: blue rai
I think it revolves around on campus living first. I shared that information in the past how we stack up against other G5 schools with more passionate fans. We are lacking in that department. If anyone would like me to look up others I can. I haven’t really found someone with less.

Here are some rough numbers:
JMU- 6.7k
App- 5.9k
Georgia Southern- 5.4k
Kennesaw St- 5.2k
WKU- 5k
CCU- 4.6k
FAU- 4k
UAB- 3.3k
UTSA- 3k
MTSU- 2.7k
I'm not sold it's purely a matter of on-campus students vs on-campus students. There are too many "college" apt complexes around college campuses today to make a judgment purely on on-campus student population.

That said, MT needs to make sure the product (on and off field/court) is good enough to entice students to make it a priority to go to games. And then market heavily to students, campus community, etc

McPhee's greatest weaknesses (IMO) is campus environment. He doesn't seem to understand how all the parts work together to make MT more desirable (clubs, social programs, athletics, etc) to potential students. JMHO. Could be wrong. But outside looking in, that's what it looks like.

UTSA looks good for the AAC right now but football is the only thing they've done anything in and that was just recently. From 14-21, they sucked golfballs through a garden hose. FAU picked the right time to get to the final four. UAB was the best addition from a complete program standpoint. Charlotte is a cluster that should have never been allowed to go FBS period.

App State should have been invited to CUSA and the AAC. They would have been a sure bet but ECU would not have it. ECU's AD actively campaigned to make sure Banowski would not invite them to CUSA in 2012 which was the biggest mistake Banowski and Judy made IMO. App State would have legitimized our conference like they did the Sunbelt.

Sure, whatever you say. We were invited only after they left. They didn't have a say in us being invited when we were because they were gone but they C blocked us plenty before 2012. CUSA didn't want 2 TN teams the same way the AAC doesn't. It's a 2 part scenario like I said in the comment before. If the conference doesn't want 2 TN teams, then it's out of our hands. Memphis has to be gone for us to get an invite period.
No. We have to be competent to get an invite. Conference realignment isn't a participation trophy event.

Not sure what your actual point is with Memphis. No one else got invited to C-USA until a bunch of teams - Memphis included - left it for the AAC. Marshall didn't. ODU didn't. UTSA didn't. Etc. so you're arguing a point that isn't provable or disprovable.

So, they're ok with multiple teams from Texas. And from Florida. But two from Tenn is a bridge too far?? If MT was the best candidate Memphis could not stop it. The problem is that we are not the best candidate. Probably not even in the 10th at this point. I say "period" to that.

Regardless of what you believe (and I'm ok letting you be wrong about it), the only point that matters is right now we aren't going to the AAC whether Memphis is there or not. That requires being an attractive and viable option, and we do not meet that right now because of all the reasons we are all too aware of. I think we can agree on that.

Something to keep an eye on is if Big 12 can't persuade the four corners Pac 12 schools as a group, Colorado remains interested in returning anyway and they're apparently going to also target UConn and Gonzaga. Memphis does not appear to be in the mix.

We just have ti find a way to be the highest ranked G5 conference champion and we make the playoff. Not going to happen under Stock, but that should be the goal. None of this other stuff matters if AAC gets raided again and we end up there as it won’t be any different than CUSA of the past few years.

No. We have to be competent to get an invite. Conference realignment isn't a participation trophy event.

Not sure what your actual point is with Memphis. No one else got invited to C-USA until a bunch of teams - Memphis included - left it for the AAC. Marshall didn't. ODU didn't. UTSA didn't. Etc. so you're arguing a point that isn't provable or disprovable.

So, they're ok with multiple teams from Texas. And from Florida. But two from Tenn is a bridge too far?? If MT was the best candidate Memphis could not stop it. The problem is that we are not the best candidate. Probably not even in the 10th at this point. I say "period" to that.

Regardless of what you believe (and I'm ok letting you be wrong about it), the only point that matters is right now we aren't going to the AAC whether Memphis is there or not. That requires being an attractive and viable option, and we do not meet that right now because of all the reasons we are all too aware of. I think we can agree on that.
How are we not competent in terms of results? We won more CUSA titles collectively than Memphis did while in CUSA. They had some great runs in men's BB (ONE SPORT) including the Calipari cheating era, but in Football and in most of their other sports, they sucked. They most certainly didn't move the needle much. The Liberty Bowl is in the literal hood. They found dead body remains like 2 blocks away from the stadium the day we played them in 07. My buddy who is in forensics worked it before the game. It was a murder of course. We talked about it while walking in the stadium. That's the prestige they are looking for in the AAC. I completely agree about the lack of responsibility in upgrading the facilities when we had the chance. I love when people on here says that we aren't competing in football when we are only 1 of 3 teams who have won back to back bowl games in the last 2 seasons. UTSA didn't even do that. I'm not saying we are great but we are not RICE, ODU, Charlotte, UNT, USM or FAU. None of those teams did that in the last 2 seasons. I'm just saying. None of this stuff makes a ton of sense.

Actually, if you remember, 3 SBC teams got invited to CUSA before us and all 3 did nothing in the SBC. They were the boat anchors at the time. All of us were losing our minds in 2011 early 12 when it happened. We were the last to get invited at the end of 2012. Memphis had not left yet but once it was a done deal, we got the call. That's fact. December of 2012 right after losing to ASU for the SBC title in football. We also beat the breaks off of Memphis that year. Why would reality matter?

However, my point with Memphis is that it's not just them as I said in the last 2 friggin posts. The conference DOES NOT WANT 2 TN TEAMS IN THEIR FOOTPRINT. THEREFORE, AS LONG AS MEMPHIS IS THERE, WE WON'T EVER BE. That's the point. Memphis would be against it naturally because it directly impacts their recruiting and saturation in competing markets. However, it's not just their call. The AAC doesn't need or want 2 TN teams. I just said it again in case you couldn't read all caps. Sheesh. The mere existence of Memphis guarantees that we will never be an AAC member as long as they are there. The second they leave, we will get a call because of the Nashville market. You don't have to believe me. I'm right so far. LOL.Massaro also pretty much said this a year ago.

New facilities may matter but markets matter more. Disney/ESPN is chopping up everything and now conferences are scrambling to matter to them now. Memphis is arguing that they have the Memphis and Nashville market conbined and the AAC has bought into that. No need for another school overlapping that area. Once there is a void, the AAC will want to fill it. I now said this 5 times in this post. LOL.

Last edited:
Something to keep an eye on is if Big 12 can't persuade the four corners Pac 12 schools as a group, Colorado remains interested in returning anyway and they're apparently going to also target UConn and Gonzaga. Memphis does not appear to be in the mix.
If this media deal for the PAC12 doesn't go north at all, UTAH, Colorado, Washington and Oregon are going to the Big12. That's gonna happen in that scenario. Colorado has already issued an ultimatim to the PAC12 and they weren't alone in their sentiments. SDSU is wating to find out and has issued a deadline by end of June. Stuff has to happen by then. Memphis has to hope the PAC12 saves the deal and gets ESPN back to the table. If they don't. The Big12 gets a lot bigger and the door closes on AAC teams leaving for the Big12.

How are we not competent in terms of results? We won more CUSA titles collectively than Memphis did while in CUSA. They had some great runs in men's BB (ONE SPORT) including the Calipari cheating era, but in Football and in most of their other sports, they sucked. They most certainly didn't move the needle much. The Liberty Bowl is in the literal hood. They found dead body remains like 2 blocks away from the stadium the day we played them in 07. My buddy who is in forensics worked it before the game. It was a murder of course. We talked about it while walking in the stadium. That's the prestige they are looking for in the AAC.

Actually, if you remember, 3 SBC teams got invited to CUSA before us and all 3 did nothing in the SBC. They were the boat anchors at the time. All of us were losing our minds in 2011 early 12 when it happened. We were the last to get invited at the end of 2012. Memphis had not left yet but once it was a done deal, we got the call. That's fact. December of 2012 right after losing to ASU for the SBC title in football. We also beat the breaks off of Memphis that year. Why would reality matter?

However, my point with Memphis is that it's not just them as I said in the last 2 friggin posts. The conference DOES NOT WANT 2 TN TEAMS IN THEIR FOOTPRINT. THEREFORE, AS LONG AS MEMPHIS IS THERE, WE WON'T EVER BE. That's the point. Memphis would be against it naturally because it directly impacts their recruiting and saturation in competing markets. However, it's not just their call. The AAC doesn't need or want 2 TN teams. I just said it again in case you couldn't read all caps. Sheesh. The mere existence of Memphis guarantees that we will never be an AAC member as long as they are there. The second they leave, we will get a call because of the Nashville market. You don't have to believe me. I'm right so far. LOL.Massaro also pretty much said this a year ago.

New facilities may matter but markets matter more. Disney/ESPN is chopping up everything and now conferences are scrambling to matter to them now. Memphis is arguing that they have the Memphis and Nashville market conbined and the AAC has bought into that. No need for another school overlapping that area. Once there is a void, the AAC will want to fill it. I now said this 5 times in this post. LOL.
I don’t think anyone truly believes Memphis has the Nashville market. They definitely have Memphis but there’s no way anyone would believe Nashville.

The reason we aren’t in the AAC is because we weren’t ready from a facility standpoint and our market wasn’t the major ones they filled with. Charlotte and Rice were straight market adds. Those are much bigger markets than Nashville. Charlotte being in a smaller market than Rice they put together some MASSIVE facility improvements that is what I think got them in. UAB, FAU and UNT were market adds with success in major sports. They are also committed to major facility improvements. We’re in a medium sized market and our facilities suck. That’s why we didn’t get invited. I’m sure ECU did not want Charlotte. They would have just as good of an argument that they have the Charlotte media as Memphis with Nashville.

I don't think Memphis, or any other G5 will be moving up anytime. Unless they add a true market like SDSU adding Cali as Yormark wants all four time zones. Very few other G5 schools add anything to any power conferences.

But regardless of that, we aren't doing what needs to be done. From a facilities standpoint, fundraising, fan engagement, but also political clout. ALOT of this is politics and shaking hands, rubbing noses, etc. We have zero clout even in our own state, much less anywhere else. As we've seen, on field results are not a big part of this.

All we can do is keep improving across the board and hope new blood comes in soon.

How are we not competent in terms of results? We won more CUSA titles collectively than Memphis did while in CUSA. They had some great runs in men's BB (ONE SPORT) including the Calipari cheating era, but in Football and in most of their other sports, they sucked. They most certainly didn't move the needle much. The Liberty Bowl is in the literal hood. They found dead body remains like 2 blocks away from the stadium the day we played them in 07. The day of. My buddy who is in forensics worked it before the game. It was a murder of course. We talked about it while walking in the stadium.

Actually, if you remember, 3 SBC teams got invited to CUSA before us and all 3 did nothing in the SBC. They were the boat anchors at the time. All of us were losing our minds in 2011 early 12 when it happened. We were the last to get invited at the end of 2012. Memphis had not left yet but once it was a done deal, we got the call.

However, my point with Memphis is that it's not just them as I said in over the last 2 friggin posts. The conference DOES NOT WANT 2 TN TEAMS IN THEIR FOOTPRINT. THEREFORE, AS LONG AS MEMPHIS IS THERE, WE WON'T EVER BE. That's the point. Memphis would be against it naturally because it directly impacts their recruiting and saturation in competing markets. However, it's not just their call. The AAC doesn't need or want 2 TN teams. I just said it again in case you couldn't read all caps. Sheesh. The mere existence of Memphis guarantees that we will never be an AAC member as long as they are there. The second they leave, we will get a call because of the Nashville market. You don't have to believe me. I'm right so far. LOL.

The answer to your first question I will unfortunately answer with questions. First, are you serious? When was the last time MT won a conference title in football outright? What's our MBB record since Kermit left? How do our facilities compare with schools currently in the AAC? What is the status and growth (or lack thereof) of our fan base, ticket sales, merchandising, etc? How do our peers view our leadership and potential? Once you answer those questions for yourself, the competence answer becomes clear.

As for the portion above bolded, please source this for me. This statement is baseless. I do no believe there is any evidence to support this whatsoever. I could conceivably accept it if Memphis and Nashville shared the same DMA. Nashville DMA is top 30 and Memphis isn't even Top 50. AAC just added #22, #31, #39, and #45. To suggest they wouldn't want #29 because they already have #51 is beyond ludicrous lacking all rational thought. I'm sorry, but the AAC isn't making a decision based on Memphis' emotions.

Now, back to JT's inaccuracies. Let's actually start talking in facts here.

Fact #1: On February 8, 2012, it was announced that Memphis would be joining the Big East Conference. This obviously occurred before the Catholic 7 basketball schools split off (that occurred in March of 2013) taking the Big East name with them and forcing the remaining schools to form a new conference, which was to be called the American.

Fact #2: On May 4, 2012 news broke that C-USA was adding Louisiana Tech, FIU, UTSA, North Texas, and also announced Charlotte would be coming in and competing once it was officially FBS. At this point Memphis had already announced it would be playing in the Big East in 2013. Despite it being known Memphis was leaving and having no say or votes in the matter on future C-USA membership, MT was not invited. This was an epic failure on SM and MM's part. A lesson they clearly did not learn the first time.

Fact #3: Later that year in November, the Big East announced it would be adding East Carolina and Tulane. It was at that point that MT and FAU were invited to C-USA. MT paid the penalty to leave the Sun Belt early which is why MT played East Carolina at Floyd in 2013. Again, Memphis was already long gone.

These facts irrevocably refuted what you wrote above about the sequencing of events culminating in the italicized text, which is patently false.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDeez
The answer to your first question I will unfortunately answer with questions. First, are you serious? When was the last time MT won a conference title in football outright? What's our MBB record since Kermit left? How do our facilities compare with schools currently in the AAC? What is the status and growth (or lack thereof) of our fan base, ticket sales, merchandising, etc? How do our peers view our leadership and potential? Once you answer those questions for yourself, the competence answer becomes clear.

As for the portion above bolded, please source this for me. This statement is baseless. I do no believe there is any evidence to support this whatsoever. I could conceivably accept it if Memphis and Nashville shared the same DMA. Nashville DMA is top 30 and Memphis isn't even Top 50. AAC just added #22, #31, #39, and #45. To suggest they wouldn't want #29 because they already have #51 is beyond ludicrous lacking all rational thought. I'm sorry, but the AAC isn't making a decision based on Memphis' emotions.

Now, back to JT's inaccuracies. Let's actually start talking in facts here.

Fact #1: On February 8, 2012, it was announced that Memphis would be joining the Big East Conference. This obviously occurred before the Catholic 7 basketball schools split off (that occurred in March of 2013) taking the Big East name with them and forcing the remaining schools to form a new conference, which was to be called the American.

Fact #2: On May 4, 2012 news broke that C-USA was adding Louisiana Tech, FIU, UTSA, North Texas, and also announced Charlotte would be coming in and competing once it was officially FBS. At this point Memphis had already announced it would be playing in the Big East in 2013. Despite it being known Memphis was leaving and having no say or votes in the matter on future C-USA membership, MT was not invited. This was an epic failure on SM and MM's part. A lesson they clearly did not learn the first time.

Fact #3: Later that year in November, the Big East announced it would be adding East Carolina and Tulane. It was at that point that MT and FAU were invited to C-USA. MT paid the penalty to leave the Sun Belt early which is why MT played East Carolina at Floyd in 2013. Again, Memphis was already long gone.

These facts irrevocably refuted what you wrote above about the sequencing of events culminating in the italicized text, which is patently false.

Wow. The AAC doesn't make emotional decisions. It's a business move. They don't need 2 TN teams. How in the hell can you dispute that? They value Houston more than they value Nashville. They took friggin RICE and UTSA to make up for Houston leaving. If Houston stays, they would never do that. If Memphis doesn't leave, nothing to replace. Same for CUSA. If Memphis stayed in CUSA, we would not have gotten an invite. That was my point. CUSA didn't need 2 TN teams either.

Believe what you want about whatever. I know the timeline. 2 TN teams in the AAC will never happen. Memphis has to leave for us to get in. If I was Memphis, I'd be against it all day. That's like owning the only restaurant in a big city and then voting for zoning to have a key competitor setup shop down the street. Your assumption makes zero sense in the business world and this is a business.

To be honest, I wish Massaro hadn't taken us to CUSA. We would be in a far better position by staying in the SBC. CUSA never supported us and now it's an utter sh!tshow.

I say Put up or shut up. $1000.00 bet right now. Call it. I'm down. I'll gladly pay if I'm wrong. Let's go. I'll let my money talk.

Last edited:
Wow. The AAC doesn't make emotional decisions. It's a business move. They don't need 2 TN teams. How in the hell can you dispute that? They value Houston more than they value Nashville. They took friggin RICE and UTSA to make up for Houston leaving. If Houston stays, they would never do that. If Memphis doesn't leave, nothing to replace. Same for CUSA. If Memphis stayed in CUSA, we would not have gotten an invite. That was my point. CUSA didn't need 2 TN teams either.

Believe what you want about whatever. I know the timeline. 2 TN teams in the AAC will never happen. Memphis has to leave for us to get in. If I was Memphis, I'd be against it all day. That's like owning the only restaurant in a big city and then voting for zoning to have a key competitor setup shop down the street. Your assumption makes zero sense in the business world and this is a business.

To be honest, I wish Massaro hadn't taken us to CUSA. We would be in a far better position by staying in the SBC. CUSA never supported us and now it's am utter sh!tshow.

I say Put up or shut up. $1000.00 bet right now. Call it. I'm down. I'll gladly pay if I'm wrong. Let's go. I'll let my money talk.

Hmm. How can I dispute that? In that rationale why did the AAC add both UCF and USF in 2013? Those two are a third of the distance apart as the Boro and Memphis. So, they can have two teams in central Florida but not two in the entire state of Tenn?? Really? Or why did they add FAU when they already have USF - both of which are roughly the same distance apart as Memphis and MT? Or what about adding Charlotte when they already had ECU, which again is roughly the same distance as MT/Memphis. So, they take two more Texas teams to make up for one leaving and now have four but can't have two in Tenn?? And oh yeah SMU and UNT are in the same market, so there's that. Fan nonsense always thought SMU would block UNT too. So, there can be four in Texas. There can be two in Florida but not Tenn. There can be two in NC but not Tenn. Please explain this rationale? Why is Tenn so special that there can only be one?

As for your bet, why would I take that when I already said we aren't getting in with or without them?

Last edited:
I don't think we fit in with the AAC - we'd be better off in the Sunbelt. Budget-wise we don't fit. Some more dominoes will topple, and some doors will open.

I doubt markets actually move anything like they did before. It used to be how many cable subscribers can you bring. It's all streaming now - how many log-ins can you generate - it's not markets (although it's a variable) - it's brands and engagement.

Unfortunately, there's only one sport that matters and it's our worst sport - which has a borderline toxic relationship with it's own fan base. All the track and tennis and golf success in the world is irrelevant.

How fast can we get football up to speed?

Suppose Stock is standing on the sidelines and is suddenly possessed by the ghost of Lombardi. Also, he somehow gets a personality injection. We win CUSA next year (don't laugh, just humor me). The facilities get done. We have some genuine buzz. We have a guy who turns NFL heads. We win CUSA in 2025 and end up ranked. I'm willing to bet that door opens for us. Will this happen? I'll believe it when i see it.

Hmm. How can I dispute that? In that rationale why did the AAC add both UCF and USF in 2013? Those two are a third of the distance apart as the Boro and Memphis. So, they can have two teams in central Florida but not two in the entire state of Tenn?? Really? Or why did they add FAU when they already have USF - both of which are roughly the same distance apart as Memphis and MT? Or what about adding Charlotte when they already had ECU, which again is roughly the same distance as MT/Memphis. So, they take two more Texas teams to make up for one leaving and now have four but can't have two in Tenn?? And oh yeah SMU and UNT are in the same market, so there's that. Fan nonsense always thought SMU would block UNT too. So, there can be four in Texas. There can be two in Florida but not Tenn. There can be two in NC but not Tenn. Please explain this rationale? Why is Tenn so special that there can only be one?

As for your bet, why would I take that when I already said we aren't getting in with or without them?
LOL, so If I say we aren't getting in and you say we aren't getting in, why are you sh!tting on me? Hahahaha. You just want to be right that much? Hahahahah. You are hilarious. I gotta respect it. LOL.

TN ain't Florida. Not even close. Florida has 21.4 million people there with pretty much the best football pipeline in the nation. Same for TX. Neck and neck with FLA. Houston is the 4th largest populated city in the nation.

TN is not that special. That's the point. TX and Florida are the premier states. Those markets are way more valuable. Football is driving all of this which is why those 2 states matter more than TN ever will. North Carolina is a head scratcher of sorts other than the fact that they have 4 more million people than TN does. That has to be a factor. I will also agree with you that none of this is all that rational. Charlotte as a product makes no damn sense whatever. App State would have been the move and could have filled the gaping flesh wound Cinci and UCF left from a quality standpoint.

I'd love to go back to the SBC but that will never happen either. If we wanted to leave CUSA, the MAC was the only move that could have been made for a long long time. We are stuck here.

well that AAC spot my open sooner than later....Memphis to B12
Say in theory Memphis did move on to B12, & MT & WKU each wanted to join former CUSA brethren at the AAC. But AAC only wanted 1 school, which would they find more appealing? WKU held back from the MAC to stay attached with CUSA & MT in the past. I don't think there would be any hesitation about either school saying goodbye. To be honest I certainly doubt this scenario occurring, but if in the future it ever came down to us or WKU for a conference upgrade I think it would be interesting to know which school would be more appealing to a conference commissioner.

well that AAC spot my open sooner than later....Memphis to B12
On paper, it makes complete sense for the B12 to want Memphis.
It's a state they aren't in.
Help solidify current bowl tie in to the Liberty Bowl.
Gives them access to an NBA venue for future tournaments.
Adds to their national concept and gives UCF/UC/WVU help just as Colorado would give BYU help.

But rarely does any of this realignment stuff make sense.
I've gone here a few times just to see how conferences truly are laid out or how rumors would make them. The B12 is literally all over the place.

Colorado to the Big12 is pretty much a done deal from what is being reported. Colorado said they are on board if Deion Sanders is which is crazy. A first year HC getting that much clout. Multiple sources are reporting this.

The other school the Big12 is talking a lot to...... UCONN. LOL. Rumors are also building around the Big12 waiting on the PAC12 media deal.

Memphis to Big12 is a side story on 24/7 sports. UCONN smoke is being reported on multiple sources. In fairness to Memphis, they are a better choice between those 2. I do think the Big12 is trying to get UTAH and ASU for sure. I would put the G5's on hold and wait out the media deal first if I'm the commish.

Reactions: ewglenn
Colorado to the Big12 is pretty much a done deal from what is being reported. Colorado said they are on board if Deion Sanders is which is crazy. A first year HC getting that much clout. Multiple sources are reporting this.

The other school the Big12 is talking a lot to...... UCONN. LOL. Rumors are also building around the Big12 waiting on the PAC12 media deal.

Memphis to Big12 is a side story on 24/7 sports. UCONN smoke is being reported on multiple sources. In fairness to Memphis, they are a better choice between those 2. I do think the Big12 is trying to get UTAH and ASU for sure. I would put the G5's on hold and wait out the media deal first if I'm the commish.
Memphis absolutely would be after the P12 fallout. SDSU or Fresno would be as well. From what I've seen UCONN is if they can get Gonzaga as Yormark wants to sell basketball as a separate media deal. They already have arguably the best basketball conference. Add in those two and even possibly Arizona, holy cow what a gauntlet. UCONN supposedly would stay indy in football.

Agree on Deion having clout. He wants a pipeline from Texas bad apparently.

It's hilarious as the meetings are here like 45min from me and the WVU pundits are montoring flights and everything. It's just like when WVU was leaving the Big East.

LOL, so If I say we aren't getting in and you say we aren't getting in, why are you sh!tting on me? Hahahaha. You just want to be right that much? Hahahahah. You are hilarious. I gotta respect it. LOL.
FWIW I’m not shitting on you. Just discussing. I loathe misinformation on this issue. I used to believe the same thing about Memphis. Hell even our President would say it, which I now know was a bit of a false flag to cover up for his own incompetence. There are some truths that if everyone will have an open mind you will see it and don’t even need insider info to figure this one out. That’s what I was trying to do with the examples.

The reason we keep getting passed over isn’t because of Memphis. Its because of ourselves.

Reactions: mtfblue
FWIW I’m not shitting on you. Just discussing. I loathe misinformation on this issue. I used to believe the same thing about Memphis. Hell even our President would say it, which I now know was a bit of a false flag to cover up for his own incompetence. There are some truths that if everyone will have an open mind you will see it and don’t even need insider info to figure this one out. That’s what I was trying to do with the examples.

The reason we keep getting passed over isn’t because of Memphis. Its because of ourselves.
I hear you. We definitely have not helped ourselves in terms of facilities and general leadership. From a strategic standpoint, why would Memphis want us in the same conference? I wouldn't if it were me. We may disagree about Memphis and their role in our fate, we can definitely agree that they aren't going to champion or promote us either. The big Memphis boosters I know (100,000.00 + per year guys who are very close to the program) have given me a lot of info in that past that has informed my opinions in this matter. They were and are closer to that program than any of us are. I know they ain't for us in any way shape or form. That is 100% fact. The AD they have now doesn't have the same history with us but the old one sure did. Things have probably changed but they won't be flying MT banners down Beale st. either. LOL.

It kinda doesn't matter since we aren't going to be called up anytime soon or ever.

Memphis absolutely would be after the P12 fallout. SDSU or Fresno would be as well. From what I've seen UCONN is if they can get Gonzaga as Yormark wants to sell basketball as a separate media deal. They already have arguably the best basketball conference. Add in those two and even possibly Arizona, holy cow what a gauntlet. UCONN supposedly would stay indy in football.

Agree on Deion having clout. He wants a pipeline from Texas bad apparently.

It's hilarious as the meetings are here like 45min from me and the WVU pundits are montoring flights and everything. It's just like when WVU was leaving the Big East.
Thanks for explaining that further. Really smart strategy for the B12. Gonzaga would be dumb to not take it. It's a massive jump in media share and UCONN in BB only would be great as well.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Thanks for explaining that further. Really smart strategy for the B12. Gonzaga would be dumb to not take it. It's a massive jump in media share and UCONN in BB only would be great as well.
Why would UCONN take the Big 12 without football going? No way I’d accept that as the AD. Unless the money was a lot more, which I doubt it is when excluding football, it doesn’t make sense. They are in a geographical fit for them right now. Big East basketball has great brands and are a good league that the media promotes. Now I’d accept if football was included but that would be the only way.

Why would UCONN take the Big 12 without football going? No way I’d accept that as the AD. Unless the money was a lot more, which I doubt it is when excluding football, it doesn’t make sense. They are in a geographical fit for them right now. Big East basketball has great brands and are a good league that the media promotes. Now I’d accept if football was included but that would be the only way.
I think the money would be a lot more like 30mill more. They've been talking for a while from what the sources are all saying. The Big12 commish visited on UCONN's campus last week. This realignment stuff is crazy right now.

Last edited:
I think the money would be a lot more like 30mill more. They've been talking for a while from what the sources are all saying. The Big12 commish visited on UCONN's campus last week. This realignment stuff is crazy right now.
That’s with football. They are getting 4.66 million per year from the Big East. They were getting 7 million per year from the AAC with football being a member. The Big 12 is currently worth 31.6 million per year for full membership (including football). They would DRASTICALLY drop that number for a non-football member. The Big 12 would also be dividing that money more ways so I don’t see how they’d be able to offer more than 5-6 million per year for non-football members.

That’s with football. They are getting 4.66 million per year from the Big East. They were getting 7 million per year from the AAC with football being a member. The Big 12 is currently worth 31.6 million per year for full membership (including football). They would DRASTICALLY drop that number for a non-football member. The Big 12 would also be dividing that money more ways so I don’t see how they’d be able to offer more than 5-6 million per year for non-football members.
UCONN football is independent right now. No longer in the AAC. So they are fully on their own in that sport with no TV deal. Their athletics dept had a $47m deficit in '21 and $53m in '22.

They would jump at any extra money.

Edit...realized your post said were getting from AAC, not are after the fact.

Just picked up Lindy's preview. 1) WKU, #60 nationally. 2) Liberty, #84 nationally. 3) MT, #97 nationally.
Comparing offensive line possibilities, we & NMSU look small in comparison to others. Vattiato & other QB's would be good to either learn 5-7 step drops, or 10 yard deep shotguns.

Just picked up Lindy's preview. 1) WKU, #60 nationally. 2) Liberty, #84 nationally. 3) MT, #97 nationally.
Comparing offensive line possibilities, we & NMSU look small in comparison to others. Vattiato & other QB's would be good to either learn 5-7 step drops, or 10 yard deep shotguns.
Pretty much the same with Athlon. WKU -1 (#72), Liberty - 2 (#83), MT -3 (#98)

Predicts yet another bowl appearance in the Bahamas (so Sidney and family gets to tag along for a free trip home), 4 bowl berths vs 6 in 2022.

Athlon put recruiting for CUSA in this order, FWIW:

Latech
FIU
Sam Houston
Liberty
New Mexico State
MT (120 nationally)
UTEP
WKU
Jacksonville State

4 bowl berths. For one that's pitiful. But two there shouldn't be any reason that every eligible team can't go bowling this year as we could only have 7 max anyway since SHSU & JSU aren't eligible.

Surely 3 open spots could be found. But honestly I don't see all 7 eligible.

Let's just win the champ and it won't be an issue anyway.

Actually, the Big12 is going to split the football and basketball media packages. Basketball will have it's own separate media deal. It's never been done and will be a cash cow for the BB schools. The money will be a lot more for UCONN and Gonzaga if they go. The Big12 will have major leverage with them on board.

Extremely unlikely. WKU is likely the favorite, MT travels to BG this fall, and Stockstill has won one out of the last eight, and has lost four straight (a fireable offense, IMHO).

Raiders may never beat wku again as long as CRS remains in place.
When I dream, I dream big.
Actually, the Big12 is going to split the football and basketball media packages. Basketball will have it's own separate media deal. It's never been done and will be a cash cow for the BB schools. The money will be a lot more for UCONN and Gonzaga if they go. The Big12 will have major leverage with them on board.
Yormark is freaking amazing. A commissioner with vision and the strength to go after it all. Total opposite of Judy.

How much more?

How much more?
So. Did some research. UCONN actually has a deal with CBSSN for football that pays around $500k per year. It expires after this coming season. Perfect timing. So they essentially are at $5m per year including the Big East deal let's say.

It's a $30m exit fee for the Big East. If the B12 took all sports, it might make sense as they could recoup that $30m plus make up their deficit in just a few years. But I don't see how if football stays indy it makes any sense at all. Mora wants them in a power conference but like I saw in an article. They left the AAC because it was spread out. Connecticut to UCF to Houston. So now they join the B12 just to play the same schools and travel to BYU and possibly Cali? The school is in a $50m deficit. I don't see how they pull this off unless the B12 pays the exit fee and gives them a reduced amount.

The four new all sports B12 schools are getting $18m this year, $19m next, and full share in '25. Estimates put that a bit above $50m after CFP/bowl/NCAA.

Yormark is wanting games in Mexico, a coast to coast conference with 18-20 basketball teams and as said, sell bball separately for next deal in 2031. I haven't seen any estimates but doing that with over half the teams being top25 would be major major money. Maybe UConn could pull it off.

So. Did some research. UCONN actually has a deal with CBSSN for football that pays around $500k per year. It expires after this coming season. Perfect timing. So they essentially are at $5m per year including the Big East deal let's say.

It's a $30m exit fee for the Big East. If the B12 took all sports, it might make sense as they could recoup that $30m plus make up their deficit in just a few years. But I don't see how if football stays indy it makes any sense at all. Mora wants them in a power conference but like I saw in an article. They left the AAC because it was spread out. Connecticut to UCF to Houston. So now they join the B12 just to play the same schools and travel to BYU and possibly Cali? The school is in a $50m deficit. I don't see how they pull this off unless the B12 pays the exit fee and gives them a reduced amount.

The four new all sports B12 schools are getting $18m this year, $19m next, and full share in '25. Estimates put that a bit above $50m after CFP/bowl/NCAA.

Yormark is wanting games in Mexico, a coast to coast conference with 18-20 basketball teams and as said, sell bball separately for next deal in 2031. I haven't seen any estimates but doing that with over half the teams being top25 would be major major money. Maybe UConn could pull it off.
Yeah there’s no chance they move unless it is for all sports imo. The money just doesn’t make sense. The Big 12 will have good MBB but the Big East is no slouch. I think adding in that it’s mostly regional I cannot see it happening.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT