ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Why are the games on weeknights set for 6:30PM?

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I've had more than one fan ask me the question as a complaint.

I remember when men's game started at 7:30. I'm not sure what the reasoning for it is being 6:30 now. It's certainly not for the convenience of fans. I wonder how many people are not buying or have not bought season tickets in the past because the start times are so damn early. If you work in Nashville and have to fight traffic to get home, you do not have adequate time to get home, gather up the wife and kids, and drive to the game. Hell, even if you live in Murfreesboro, it's not much better.

It can't be that the times are set for tv purposes.

probably with such a rebuilt team they feel its okay? I am going to miss them anyway. We have so many games that it effects my ability to watch and listen.

Agreed that 6:30 is a huge problem for many fans, myself included. I've been coming to MT games from out of town since before I-24 and 840 were built (and before the growth explosion). Traffic is horrendous in The Boro (and most places in the area) in the time slot before weeknight games. Takes me much longer to get to games than even a few years ago, even with road improvements. As an aside: both I-24 and 840 are so far from campus that there is no good way I have found to get to campus during evening rush hours. PTB should have worked for a solution to this problem years ago.
But I do understand the athletic dept's problem. Either write off some commuters and out of town fans or keep local families with young kids away. Wish I knew a solution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT