ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL What Middle Tennessee basketball is looking for in Kermit Davis’ replacement

MTSU using a firm
MTSU retained a search firm, Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search, to assist in its national search for Davis’ replacement.

“In this world, with agents and background checks and all these kind of things, we’ve all read about kind of the ills of college basketball, so to help us navigate some of those waters,” Massaro said. “I think myself and our staff, we’ve got kind of a working list ready to go anyhow, but it’s also another set of eyes to bounce some candidates off of.”

Seeing some of Massaro's motivations with a firm, I think he may have a good point. There are, what, 30 of the top programs in the country swept up in the FBI investigation? That is a whole mess of HCs and Assts. And that is just what is somewhat known. It wouldn't be crazy to times that number by 2 or 3 to get just how many are really ethically challenged. With such a rare opportunity of MT's success and the potential to continue and develop further success, getting all the details right is incredibly important. Having a professional firm who has as one of their expertise the skill of background checks is a smart move in my opinion.

There are two areas of the game that I really hope Massaro focuses on with a new coach. Defense and rebounding. When Kermit arrived all those years ago, I thought Kermit's approach on defense and rebounding was a coaching revelation. Along with Kermit's demanding of toughness, I always thought of that as being key reasons for much of Kermit's teams' success especially on the road. For those years before with "I can't put a finger on it" type coaching in trying to explain all the loses, Kermit's approach was profound. Simple but effective. Gone were the days of some of the frustrating explanations of a poor shooting night as the excuse for a loss. Shooting comes and goes on an almost nightly basis in college basketball especially on the road, but you can control defense and rebounding which will keep you in the game. So I really do hope Massaro can find a coach who wisely puts such a premium on defense, rebounding, and toughness overall. Those are key parts of the culture of MT basketball that Kermit wisely contributed.

There are two areas of the game that I really hope Massaro focuses on with a new coach. Defense and rebounding. When Kermit arrived all those years ago, I thought Kermit's approach on defense and rebounding was a coaching revelation. Along with Kermit's demanding of toughness, I always thought of that as being key reasons for much of Kermit's teams' success especially on the road. For those years before with "I can't put a finger on it" type coaching in trying to explain all the loses, Kermit's approach was profound. Simple but effective. Gone were the days of some of the frustrating explanations of a poor shooting night as the excuse for a loss. Shooting comes and goes on an almost nightly basis in college basketball especially on the road, but you can control defense and rebounding which will keep you in the game. So I really do hope Massaro can find a coach who wisely puts such a premium on defense, rebounding, and toughness overall. Those are key parts of the culture of MT basketball that Kermit wisely contributed.

I mostly agree, but hopefully the next coach will coach them is a way to not hurt their confidence. CKD had a quick trigger and some games like Marshall this year he was messing around so much with the lineup changes our guys were lost.

Sometimes you have to let guys play through their mistakes.

For all of the years of Kermit's success at MT, I don't really think of Kermit's tenure as leaving a sizable coaching tree...yet. There seems to be a bunch of young players who are now just starting to get GA and asst positions and experience. A number of the years down the road with many of these young men gaining experience, I suspect there will one day be a respectable coaching tree associated with Kermit. Presently, none come to mind as being developed and ready yet. With this situation, I suspect we'll see a new HC emerge that is not necessarily a name at the front of most our minds.

I mostly agree, but hopefully the next coach will coach them is a way to not hurt their confidence. CKD had a quick trigger and some games like Marshall this year he was messing around so much with the lineup changes our guys were lost.

Sometimes you have to let guys play through their mistakes.
I agree Mike. Players talk about getting in a rythm or zone. If your yanked for missing an assignment that would disrupt your flow. KermitS dowsnide was reacting too quick sometimes.

For all of the years of Kermit's success at MT, I don't really think of Kermit's tenure as leaving a sizable coaching tree...yet. There seems to be a bunch of young players who are now just starting to get GA and asst positions and experience. A number of the years down the road with many of these young men gaining experience, I suspect there will one day be a respectable coaching tree associated with Kermit. Presently, none come to mind as being developed and ready yet. With this situation, I suspect we'll see a new HC emerge that is not necessarily a name at the front of most our minds.
I think the argument could be made Kermits tree is only 6 years.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Kermit's practices were extremely tough. So much so that people that came and visited said that they were the most intense practices they had ever seen. I have no doubt this is a big reason why we have been so successful.

I want someone who is going to run a tough practice, be defensive minded and be a great recruitier.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Kermit's practices were extremely tough. So much so that people that came and visited said that they were the most intense practices they had ever seen. I have no doubt this is a big reason why we have been so successful.

I want someone who is going to run a tough practice, be defensive minded and be a great recruitier.

If a player is looking for a 'safe space' with hugs, cookies, and cocoa, I don't want them here.

Slightly off topic, but anyone else thinking Giddy just might have a career in coaching in front of him?

Obviously, there's some things Kermit did that I hope a new coach continues at MT. As the change with MT bball is settling in, a new coach will have to be himself and not be Kermit. The main thing to continue from Kermit's foundation is success with an upward trajectory. Hopefully us fans will be able to learn about and enjoy a new coach's approach to build further success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT