ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee vs LSU Sunday on ABC

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
Middle Tennessee will be playing in ABC's Sunday NCAA double header.

South Carolina vs North Carolina: 12 pm

Middle Tennessee vs LSU: 2 pm

Reactions: subkyle
We haven't had a really decent start offensively since our home game against La Tech March 5th. Middle Tennessee scored 19 points in the opening quarter, & that was 5 games ago. We're due!
Correction: La Tech home game was March 9th.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
There are still seats available on Seat Geek. Going to be really tough for our Ladies tomorrow , as LSU will sell this arena out. Guessing they had 15k plus for the Rice game yesterday. We were only given 100 tickets on the floor. The NCAA women’s tournament is slightly rigged toward the top 16 teams!

Nice thing about a next day tournament is a team doesn't have much prep time, especially when it comes to the 2nd game of the weekend. We may (hopefully that is) have a weapon that LSU may not be as prepared for. They saw from yesterday's game what Wheeler, Gregory, & Boldyreva are all about. However they didn't see much of Scott. She had probably one of her poorer offensive efforts with a number of missed shots yesterday. We know more what she is capable of than LSU does. We've seen her go for 26 multiple times. Scott seems to be a very prideful player, & from what I've seen usually comes back big time after a weaker than normal performance.
When LSU does its best to lock down yesterday's key contributors look for Scott to be a major key in helping to keep us in the game.

Reactions: subkyle
To have a chance, Nas is going to need a top tier performance and efficient shooting by Whitson would go a long way as well. Rice showed they're not unbeatable but it was tough enough rallying against Louisville on a neutral floor.

Another great interview. It's not the sense of self confidence I like in coach & the players. It's the look of serious determination in their faces. Can we get beat, & get beat soundly tomorrow? Sure. But you get the feel there's going to be some fight put up by the Blue Raiders in Baton Rouge Sunday.

Another great interview. It's not the sense of self confidence I like in coach & the players. It's the look of serious determination in their faces. Can we get beat, & get beat soundly tomorrow? Sure. But you get the feel there's going to be some fight put up by the Blue Raiders in Baton Rouge Sunday.
Listened to Insell Jr on the postgame, and I was loving his word choice and tone moving. Said the ladies earned another 40 minutes. He gave LSU all the respect in the world all while having confidence that we can win

I may have overlooked a game, but I think the women's tournament has been all chalk except for our game.

I may have overlooked a game, but I think the women's tournament has been all chalk except for our game.
It has been. That is holding true today's games too... only 2 more chances really for upsets unless Gonzaga falls apart, Cal Baptist vs UCLA and SDSU vs Utah.

Btw: Looked at my Lindy's 2023-24 preseason magazine today. In the women's preseason top 25 Middle Tennessee has defeated all of the listed Top 25 teams it's played so far.
1st defeat: #9 Tennessee
2nd defeat: #12 Louisville

Next up Sunday afternoon is #1 LSU
KEEP IT ROLLING LADY RAIDERS

The women's tourney is never gonna have the same kind of magic as the men until they get rid the way they do regional sites. How many teams that host don't make the Sweet 16? My bet is very few. Heaven forbid UConn has to play in Pittsburgh instead of Storrs.

Coaches at all the major programs love talking about growing the game, but they don't want to take the steps necessary to make it happen

BTW, I doubt there's much money to be share from the ncaa in wbb post season, but is there none? Or is there a small amount to get as you advanced???

BTW, I doubt there's much money to be share from the ncaa in wbb post season, but is there none? Or is there a small amount to get as you advanced???
I've wondered that as well and found this article from 2021 that says no money is earned for wins in the women's tournament. "If No. 1 seed Stanford wins the women’s NCAA Tournament, the Pac-12 won’t get a single penny for it. Unlike the men’s version, there’s no compensation for participation from the NCAA for either Stanford or its athletic conference. Women’s March Madness appearances aren’t factored into the NCAA’s annual distributions the way participation in the men’s tournament is."

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Here's a 2023 article saying the same thing, "In the men’s tournament, a conference receives one 'unit,' worth more than $339,000 this year, when a member school plays a game (except for the national championship game). But there aren’t similar payouts tied to success in the women’s tournament."

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I've wondered that as well and found this article from 2021 that says no money is earned for wins in the women's tournament. "If No. 1 seed Stanford wins the women’s NCAA Tournament, the Pac-12 won’t get a single penny for it. Unlike the men’s version, there’s no compensation for participation from the NCAA for either Stanford or its athletic conference. Women’s March Madness appearances aren’t factored into the NCAA’s annual distributions the way participation in the men’s tournament is."

I thought about that earlier as well. If it was 20 years ago I could understand that. But the women's game has grown so much in the last 10 years the fact that not one red cent is compensated to the schools come ncaa tournament time is awful. There is literally no telling the increase in viewership that has taken place the last 3-5 years.
If there wasn't large sums of money being made in the women's tournament now I don't think we would be seeing 4 hour blocks on ABC being set aside for only 2nd round games. If women's basketball was still small time they would yield everything to ESPN+, or at best wait till the Final 4 to go national on ABC. But to start selecting 2nd round matchups on one of the 4 major networks tells you there's money being made.
I understand networks wanting all the money for themselves, but shame on the NCAA for not being on top of this.

th

Founded: 1860
Enrollment: 30,987
Nickname: Tigers or Fighting Tigers
Colors: Purple and Gold
Mascot: Mike
Stadium: Pete Maravich Assembly Center Capacity: 13,215
Conference: Southeastern
Series: LSU leads 3-2
Head Coach: Kim Mulkey Louisiana Tech (1984)
LSU Record: 89-13 / 3rd Season Career Record: 721-117 / 23rd Season
Starters Returning/Lost: 2/3
Name of starters returning: Flau’Jae Johnson, Angel Reese
Name of Starters Lost:
Jasmine Carson, Alexis Morris, LaDazhiaWilliams
Name of others returning: Amani Bartlett, Izzy Besselman, Sa’Myah Smith, Last-Tear Poa
Names of newcomers: Aalyah Del Rosario, Janae Kent, Aneesah Morrow, Hailey Van Lith, Angelica Veleze, Mikaylah Williams

Last edited:
LSU vs. MT History

LSU owns a 3-2 all-time record against Middle Tennessee, playing and winning most recently in 2009. The two teams have played once before in the second-round of the NCAA Tournament; LSU won the 1986 matchup, 78-65.

LSU vs. MT History

LSU owns a 3-2 all-time record against Middle Tennessee, playing and winning most recently in 2009. The two teams have played once before in the second-round of the NCAA Tournament; LSU won the 1986 matchup, 78-65.
MT History of the series is incorrect on goblueraiders.com. It incorrectly states LSU leads the series 3-1. It omits the one game that then #8 ranked LSU visited the Murphy Center on 12/28/2007 and lost. How the hell could that be omitted?!?!?!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT