ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee vs LSU Sunday on ABC

I've calmed down a bit now. I'm a very sore loser and absolutely am one to sit there and say towards the other team that i hope they fall off the bus and break their legs. I've also learned I am that way and know to step aside before I do say that or worse on here and especially in front of my kids. It's the same reason I don't volunteer to coach my 8yr old's football or soccer teams. I'd be the coach telling a kid his mama should've kept her legs closed. Not a good look to give my kids and wife at all. So I fully know when to step away sometimes.

So now that I've calmed down, I am beyond proud of how our Lady Raiders handled themselves. The effort and emotion put in to it showed it was their all. They sadly were playing against some very questionable calls and no-calls, as well as sportsmanship that was as bad as I can be. I hate it for our seniors but super excited for those coming back and our incoming recruits. I see no sign of slowing down at all. 100% still proud to be a Blue Raider.
Also as said, Rick handled the presser great. I loved his Sankey comment as well.

I've calmed down a bit now. I'm a very sore loser and absolutely am one to sit there and say towards the other team that i hope they fall off the bus and break their legs. I've also learned I am that way and know to step aside before I do say that or worse on here and especially in front of my kids. It's the same reason I don't volunteer to coach my 8yr old's football or soccer teams. I'd be the coach telling a kid his mama should've kept her legs closed. Not a good look to give my kids and wife at all. So I fully know when to step away sometimes.

So now that I've calmed down, I am beyond proud of how our Lady Raiders handled themselves. The effort and emotion put in to it showed it was their all. They sadly were playing against some very questionable calls and no-calls, as well as sportsmanship that was as bad as I can be. I hate it for our seniors but super excited for those coming back and our incoming recruits. I see no sign of slowing down at all. 100% still proud to be a Blue Raider.
Also as said, Rick handled the presser great. I loved his Sankey comment as well.
Very well said. I also think this postseason run proved that we can absolutely play with and beat those top teams we’ve been aiming to go up against for all these years. I know this is thinking wayyyyy ahead but… Next year, if we have our starters returning and no unexpected transfers, I think we may have a serious shot at finishing top 16 with a strong OOC schedule and going undefeated in conference again. Insell did a fantastic job this year and honestly I think next year we could be even better.

It's almost like those referees were acting as gatekeepers to prevent the precious Power program from falling to a lower seed. Can't have that. Can't have an 11 seed beating the defending national champions and playing in sweet 16. Each year the NCAA becomes more corrupt. Never would have thought wbb would be every bit as corrupt and rigged against the smaller programs as the mens programs, but since less eyes are on it unfortunately fewer care, so they can be even more blatant about it.

It's almost like those referees were acting as gatekeepers to prevent the precious Power program from falling to a lower seed. Can't have that. Can't have an 11 seed beating the defending national champions and playing in sweet 16. Each year the NCAA becomes more corrupt. Never would have thought wbb would be every bit as corrupt and rigged against the smaller programs as the mens programs, but since less eyes are on it unfortunately fewer care, so they can be even more blatant about it.
I would argue WBB is far worse than the Men. You don't see UConn getting to play at home for the first 2 rounds. They want their Iowa v. LSU rematch.

While mid-majors do the get the shaft on the men's side, it has been a tournament where double digit seeds frequently make deep runs. I bet if I look it up you can't put together 5 double digit seeds that have advanced beyond the 2nd round in the women's tournament. If we ever hope to go deep, we're gonna need to beef up the schedule to where it was early in CRI's tenure

Here is some of my sore loser stuff. In addition to the referees calling more fouls, several of the LSU players started flopping every time there was a breeze. In fact, it seemed as Angel Reese was involved heavily in the flops. She started off the 2nd half tripping on her own feet getting a third foul on Wheeler. Wheeler-3. That has to affect Wheeler in that she wouldn't drive as much from that point on. Reese tripped again, but it was her own player. She still lays down on the floor hoping for a call, but the referees have to ignore it as no MTSU player was close. For her efforts she does wind up with a layup. A little later, Flau-Jae Johnson takes a dive when it looks like TaMia did hit her hand on a layup, but Flau-Jae winds up crumpled on the floor. I don't think she was flopping. I just think this was a chance for the referees to make a call that looked good. TaMIA-3.
We then commit 2 legit fouls to get Anastasia with 3 and Courtney with 3. Another legit bump from Jaylen-4 then a real foul from Grabosky-3. TaMia looks like she is mugged on a layup, but in running it back she indeed was tied up. On the other end Angel gets a rebound and the only contact from Anastasia could see was Angel backing into Anastasia and then going up to draw her 4th foul. After Anastasia makes Angel look bad on the offensive end, at 1:17:11 Angel comes down and when the centers start pushing each other, Angel is apparently dizzy again and falls to the floor. She then shows the great sportsmanship of waving goodbye to the player that fouled out. A little later, Grabosky was standing there setting a pick - not moving and HVL trips on her. Grabosky-4. At this point all the MTSU players were afraid to move slightly or they might be called for a foul. This was just the 3rd Quarter. Lets be honest with the talent and size disparity. LSU player for player are more talented and are stronger. In a fair fight, we had a chance though This was not a fair fight.

In looking back, the majority of this was Angel. One of the announcers commented that in addition to the 20 points and 10 rebouds, Angel drew 10 fouls and Morrow drew 07. If you watch the tape you can see why she drew so many fouls. The referees were hyper set to call a foul on the lower seeded team. That was obvious. I think that is where the NCAA is now with women's basketball. It was that way for the men for a while, but eventually it is coming around as they see it doesn't hurt to have Cinderellas to roar through the tournament. It also gives announcers something to talk about.

Angel is obviously a super talented player with a lot of potential. She doesn't play with class and or even basic honesty. I think the rest of their team is very talented but are about avergage with class. Last year we were in the same hotel as the Colorado Players. They were all classy and geniunely nice people. It was tough after the loss last year, but it was legitimate and didn't hurt as much. We wished the Colorado players good luck and told them they had a great team. I don't wish the same for LSU.

Sorry if it was sour-grapes, but

Here is my tin foil hat thought.

The men's tournament makes the ad $ and viewership with cinderellas. People will tune in to see if SDSU can do it again. Will NC St continue their run. Etc. 12million watched SDSU/FAU last year. Yes the big boys draw numbers too, but the little guys get the casuals interested.

Women's, right now anyway, has three teams making them $. Iowa, S Carolina, LSU. One could argue UConn as well. It's why I'm worried for WVU tonight vs Iowa as they run a bit of a press defense that could cook the foul numbers in Iowa's favor.

Ok. Tin foil hat off now.

Here is my tin foil hat thought.

The men's tournament makes the ad $ and viewership with cinderellas. People will tune in to see if SDSU can do it again. Will NC St continue their run. Etc. 12million watched SDSU/FAU last year. Yes the big boys draw numbers too, but the little guys get the casuals interested.

Women's, right now anyway, has three teams making them $. Iowa, S Carolina, LSU. One could argue UConn as well. It's why I'm worried for WVU tonight vs Iowa as they run a bit of a press defense that could cook the foul numbers in Iowa's favor.

Ok. Tin foil hat off now.
If WVU breathes on Iowa tonight it's gonna be called a foul. NCAA wants their rematch. I hope South Carolina whips em when the time comes

One thing that I have yet to say is I want to throw some praise to Jada who pulled down 10 rebounds in 17 minutes of action off the bench. She came in and played admirably- especially considering how good of a rebounding team LSU is. A lot has been made publicly about Insell's lack of bench use and how we weren't deep. I actually believe we have talent there and just don't utilize it. Jada, Iullia and Sifa would likely start for the vast majority of teams we played against this year. I was super proud of all our girls yesterday and after a day to settle down, I still 100% want someone to slobber knock LSU out of the tournament and whomever does it, make sure Angel Reese knows it.

I forgot to mention Jada. She seemed to be the only one that could hang onto a rebound once she had her hands on it. Normally I am hollering to put Iullia in, but yesterday I was saying put in Jada. I hope she doesn't leave via the portal either. She is talented.

One thing that I have yet to say is I want to throw some praise to Jada who pulled down 10 rebounds in 17 minutes of action off the bench. She came in and played admirably- especially considering how good of a rebounding team LSU is. A lot has been made publicly about Insell's lack of bench use and how we weren't deep. I actually believe we have talent there and just don't utilize it. Jada, Iullia and Sifa would likely start for the vast majority of teams we played against this year. I was super proud of all our girls yesterday and after a day to settle down, I still 100% want someone to slobber knock LSU out of the tournament and whomever does it, make sure Angel Reese knows it.
To me that's the frustrating part about the bench, if we just were top heavy with talent I'd understand, but this staff has recruited very well and develops as well as anyone. Just about every other successful program goes 8-10 deep.

Whoever our S&C coach is, they deserve a raise, they've earned every penny the last several years

To me that's the frustrating part about the bench, if we just were top heavy with talent I'd understand, but this staff has recruited very well and develops as well as anyone. Just about every other successful program goes 8-10 deep.

Whoever our S&C coach is, they deserve a raise, they've earned every penny the last several years
That would be the fantastic TESSA GROSSMAN. She's outstanding.

Also, Tennessee just lost to NC State... they didn't make it any farther than we did this year. Recruiting help, I would think, to be able to highlight that!

Also, Tennessee just lost to NC State... they didn't make it any farther than we did this year. Recruiting help, I would think, to be able to highlight that!
As much as I respect the late, great Pat Summit, Tennessee will likely never return to its former glory. Her shoes will never be filled and as long as Tennessee can linger in mediocrity, the bigger move the Lady Raiders can make. I have no idea what UT has coming in and we know how the portal changes things overnight, but Jackson is going to be hard to replace. I don't see UT competing for the crown anytime soon and it's a good opportunity for us to take advantage with a game in Knoxville and in Murfreesboro on the horizon.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
As much as I respect the late, great Pat Summit, Tennessee will likely never return to its former glory. Her shoes will never be filled and as long as Tennessee can linger in mediocrity, the bigger move the Lady Raiders can make. I have no idea what UT has coming in and we know how the portal changes things overnight, but Jackson is going to be hard to replace. I don't see UT competing for the crown anytime soon and it's a good opportunity for us to take advantage with a game in Knoxville and in Murfreesboro on the horizon.
UT's biggest problem is they keep going inside the family when hiring a new coach. Until they get serious about hiring the best coach period, this yr is going to be the ceiling for them. Rick has snagged a couple of in-state girls lately that UT normally gets bc they're just recruiting athletes and not girls that can play ball

You got no arguments from me, I don't remember the last time we had a major injury. Part of that is luck, but with the way CRI runs his team, your starters have to be in excellent condition

I love the fact that the Lsdy Vols are experiencing what mid-majors have for years by playing on the home court of the team they played. They never hardly left Knoxville during the Summit years. Welcome to the club.

I love the fact that the Lsdy Vols are experiencing what mid-majors have for years by playing on the home court of the team they played. They never hardly left Knoxville during the Summit years. Welcome to the club.
Yeah... all these WBB tournament games being played on a higher seed's home floor is really harming the growth of the game in my opinion. Much less likely for truly huge upsets to happen when a 16, 15, 14 etc. has to face an Iowa, UConn, etc. on their home court.

It was definitely frustrating and you could tell ESPN wanted their storyline and the Lady Raiders were on the losing side. But Rick said it best, we are a top 25 team year in and year out, the NCAA just doesnt want to admit it. We will continue doing our thing and proving people wrong year in and year out.

I do think that a lot of people saw that game yesterday (do we know what the ratings were?) and saw that Middle got the shaft from the refs. Not saying we would have won or lost, but it would have been a lot closer game.

I was thinking about this too following the game and have to agree on this, but I'm not too familiar with teams/players past 05-06 as that's when my family moved to TN when I was still in high school. This starting 5 is just so talented and any one of them could be the leading scorer.

Got to admit I watched a ton of women's basketball this year, & up to the Lady Raiders most recent game. But I haven't watched a game since Sunday afternoon. I'm sure my interest will pick back up by next November though.

If WVU breathes on Iowa tonight it's gonna be called a foul. NCAA wants their rematch. I hope South Carolina whips em when the time comes
Iowa had a 30-5 free throw opportnity advantage. There's the game's 10pts.
Iowa had 11 called on them. 5 under their season avg.
WVU had 27 called, 9 over their avg.

Was a different crew from us.

Just in case anyone thought the NCAA was in on this by themselves.....
I see it both ways. I get rewarding higher seeds. I mean that's how NFL, NBA, etc do it. But at the same time college is built on neutral sites. Sure home field/court advantage is a thing. But they are called neutral sites for a reason.

The way it is now locks out schools like us from ever hosting. Plain and simple. Just like CRI said, we are a top 25 program consistently, others just refuse to acknowledge it. Just look at how the bracket was full chalk except for us. That wasn't all because the higher seeds were better. There were a lot of good games in there.

I think there needs to be some adjustment. Want to keep home sites, fine. But change it. Make it so it has to be a conference champ hosting or something like that. It would still be a great atmosphere having LSU come here or S Carolina to Fairfield, etc.
Or really want drama, don't seed at all and draw for the seedings. See if S Carolina can win not at home. Make it unique.

If they really want the women's game to grow, cinderellas will have to become part of it just like the men's game.

I see it both ways. I get rewarding higher seeds. I mean that's how NFL, NBA, etc do it. But at the same time college is built on neutral sites. Sure home field/court advantage is a thing. But they are called neutral sites for a reason.

The way it is now locks out schools like us from ever hosting. Plain and simple. Just like CRI said, we are a top 25 program consistently, others just refuse to acknowledge it. Just look at how the bracket was full chalk except for us. That wasn't all because the higher seeds were better. There were a lot of good games in there.

I think there needs to be some adjustment. Want to keep home sites, fine. But change it. Make it so it has to be a conference champ hosting or something like that. It would still be a great atmosphere having LSU come here or S Carolina to Fairfield, etc.
Or really want drama, don't seed at all and draw for the seedings. See if S Carolina can win not at home. Make it unique.

If they really want the women's game to grow, cinderellas will have to become part of it just like the men's game.
I'm all for rewarding teams for having a great regular season, but getting to host a regional on campus goes way beyond rewarding teams. Give em a bigger cut of the money if that's what it takes. I just dont want to hear any BS from P4 schools about growing the game when this format does the exact opppsite

If we're allowing teams to bid on regional sites, allow every team that collects more than 5 votes in either poll to make a bid, make the process competitive at the very least

Discussion with Chip Walters gets into this subject on the Main Street Sports podcast, Walters appears about midway into the two hour podcast this afternoon.

Interesting to note that Saturday when the National Anthem was performed prior to the game that the LSU team left the floor leaving the Raiders by themselves standing at attention. It was not a good look at all, and I Am sure many of their fan’s were embarrassed. I know that several of our girls are not citizens but they all were being very respectful for the occasion.

Interesting to note that Saturday when the National Anthem was performed prior to the game that the LSU team left the floor leaving the Raiders by themselves standing at attention. It was not a good look at all, and I Am sure many of their fan’s were embarrassed. I know that several of our girls are not citizens but they all were being very respectful for the occasion.
Not a lot of class in that program

Former Lady Raider great Jackie Pickel Davis has a great FB post about this. Dick Palmer posted it. Will make you proud if you can track down on FB what she said. Pure class!👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️

Former Lady Raider great Jackie Pickel Davis has a great FB post about this. Dick Palmer posted it. Will make you proud if you can track down on FB what she said. Pure class!👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️
There was a lot of comments about Iowa's team out on the court while LSU was not during the anthem. Mulkey responded like she was not aware of when the anthem was, which was disputed by a Louisiana reported who stated it is something LSU has not done in years. I thought of Pickel's facebook post remarking on the subject with the accompanying photo Of the MT team on court and the LSU team missing. Just to add that MT ladies were out on court during non-conference games but I think the conference CUSA requires the teams to be off court during the anthem, during the regular season.

Loved LSU lsoing to Iowa and getting eliminated.

There was a lot of comments about Iowa's team out on the court while LSU was not during the anthem. Mulkey responded like she was not aware of when the anthem was, which was disputed by a Louisiana reported who stated it is something LSU has not done in years. I thought of Pickel's facebook post remarking on the subject with the accompanying photo Of the MT team on court and the LSU team missing. Just to add that MT ladies were out on court during non-conference games but I think the conference CUSA requires the teams to be off court during the anthem, during the regular season.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but during CUSA games both teams have been on the court for every game I have seen over the many years…men and women

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT