ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB CUSA Tourney: Middle Tennessee vs UTEP, 11:30AM, Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Our average margin of victory in the regular season matchups with UTEP was only 13 points, second to only La Tech at 12 points. Our average margin of victory was 20+ points for all other conference teams. Also of note, UTEP had the lead after the 1st quarter in both games and, in each game, we had a single, big quarter that ultimately separated us and led to the W (29-13 3rd quarter in the first game and 21-8 4th quarter in the second game).

Our average margin of victory in the regular season matchups with UTEP was only 13 points, second to only La Tech at 12 points. Our average margin of victory was 20+ points for all other conference teams. Also of note, UTEP had the lead after the 1st quarter in both games and, in each game, we had a single, big quarter that ultimately separated us and led to the W (29-13 3rd quarter in the first game and 21-8 4th quarter in the second game).
UTEP also gave MT the toughest game in last year's conference tourney.

11-11 after 1st qtr, 0-12 from three

Team Comparison
STATISTIC
FG%25%16%
FGs3-123-19
3FG%33%0%
3FGs1-30-12
FT%67%67%
FTs4-64-6
TOs31
PtsOffTO04
TotReb1014
DefReb108
Off Reb06
2ndChPts04
BenchPts07
PtsPaint06
FstBkPt14
Blocks11
Steals01
Assts31
Times Tied:2
Time Tied:2:19
Lead Chg:0
LeadTime7:410:00

Getting some decent looks at 3, but shooting 0-12. Still tied going into the 2nd somehow. Just got to believe the 3s will hit at some point.

I just looked at the box score at lunch. 1-17 from three and 3 of our 3 post players have 7 total fouls between them. Yet we are up. As mentioned above, surely some shots will start falling in the second half.....

Last edited:

Going back to this, UTEP played us well in the 1st half, as they did in the regular season games; main difference being today we had two dominate quarters instead of just the one. Iullia stepped up big time in this game with Boldyreva sitting due to early fouls.

Anyone catch Coach Insell talking to the UTEP coach after the game? May be misreading, but he seemed none too pleased at something.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue

CUSA Women's Basketball Tournament Quarterfinals Press Conference | MTSU​

Last edited:
CRI mentioned in his postgame he had some real problems with some people in CUSA. He said we had to replace 3 players and our top recruit was out all season but other coaches saying we should have won the conference with everyone back. He did not name anyone but could see UTEP not voting for him as coach of the year as there seems to be some bad blood between the two programs the past few years

Great win, beat the Miners and the refs. Classic case of fouls being called because of a size advantage. Laughable to see Nas get foul calls for standing vertical and getting run into by UTEP players. I think coach and the team took it personally especially after the technical to really demolish them and I’m glad they did. Hope we destroy our semi game too. And FWIW, Coach Adams from UTEP said she did in fact vote for CRI for coach of the year. Believe it or not.

CRI got fired up! LOL
Yep! I just watched the press conference. Can't recall that type of fire from him in a while. Sports are certainly unpredictable but my money would be on Middle to provide a beatdown these next two games. My fears of complacency were real after the first half, but after the second, we're ready to punch our ticket and do some damage.

Yep! I just watched the press conference. Can't recall that type of fire from him in a while. Sports are certainly unpredictable but my money would be on Middle to provide a beatdown these next two games. My fears of complacency were real after the first half, but after the second, we're ready to punch our ticket and do some damage.
100% agreed. Another point -- if we didn't go 0-14 from 3 early on... let's say we hit 4 or 5... we're up by 17-20 at halftime. It's not like we played that poorly in the first half all around, we just clunked every single shot. Get those jitters out of the way early and gain confidence in these tournaments and we'll be in great shape to make some serious noise in the NCAAs.

Great resilience today despite rough games from Wheeler & Scott. Combined for only 3-22 from the field & 0-11 from 3. Take those stats away & we're about 50% from field. Also way too many shots from 3. 40 of 67 total field goal attempts from deep. Part of that was likely Boldyreva's foul trouble inside. However, Great effort by Iullia in the post today.
Didn't see Scott with any of her patented drives to the hoop in second half. Could have been bothered by her poor 1st half stats. I've come down at times concerning Whitson's less than stellar shooting stats during the year, but one thing you can say for her is she's a fighter. She never stops trying, & she led the way in the 2nd half for a Blue Raider victory.
Rick was almost as entertaining post game as the Raiders second half come back. And thumbs up to today's fan support in Huntsville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT