ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CUSA Semifinal: (#7) Middle Tennessee vs (#3) WKU, 2PM, Friday, March 15, 2024

"For the Hilltoppers, the win marked its 100th all-time victory over the Blue Raiders and its largest win over its rival since an 80-48 win on Jan. 7, 2006. The 31-point margin of victory was WKU's largest win in a conference tournament in program history."
goodness

Hard to argue stats.

Men’s sports in a huge rut right now. We deserve where we are in conferences. We can’t complain.

It starts at the top.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Hard to argue stats.

Men’s sports in a huge rut right now. We deserve where we are in conferences. We can’t complain.

It starts at the top.
I think when stockstill was given the pink slip, one of the refrains we heard was they wanted to rebutt the notion they didn't care about football. If a change is not made after what has transpired not only this season but 80% or more of his tenure, they can't say honestly that they care about the direction of men's basketball/

Wait, we've performed at the worst level of all basketball teams six times this season? That should never happen once for what we pay a head coach. Holy smokes.

Combined with overall results what more data would one need?

Meanwhile, Odom has won 20 games in three straight seasons at two different schools since we screwed up this hire. And just a couple of minutes away from another conference championship in his first year with VCU in the toughest mid major conference in the nation. Which would also be his second straight trip to the NCAA Tournament.

If we truly had a shot at Odom then Massaro needs too be fired along the prz

They could have easily done the deal if McPhee wasn't fawning over McDevitt.

The only issue was Odom wanted private charter travel for away games. I'm sure they could have worked something out.

I'm afraid they are going to take their finger off the trigger, if they had it on it in the first place. McDivitt is McPhee's hire he won't want to admit his mistake.

I will be more shocked than the stockstill dismissal if a change is made.

I'm afraid they are going to take their finger off the trigger, if they had it on it in the first place. McDivitt is McPhee's hire he won't want to admit his mistake.

I will be more shocked than the stockstill dismissal if a change is made.

The entire situation is actually insane. It shouldn't even be up for debate if he should be fired, but we are dealing with McPhee and Steve Smith after all. They have no intelligence AND no standards. A deadly combination when running a University and it's athletics programs. I could easily see McPhee making Massaro stand up at a press conference and try to justify the trainwreck. Blame this season on injuries, so on and so forth.

They are wholly incompetent. If their positions were that of the free market they would have be replaced long, long ago. But they are instead protected by the bureaucratic government incompetency phenomenon. BGIP.

Sadly, even if McDevitt is fired, I have no confidence they will find a suitable replacement. They're just so out of touch and don't even realize it. And it's depressing because there's absolutely nothing we can do about it except boycott, boycott, boycott (and that sucks).

Personally, I'm so jaded when it comes to college athletics anymore that I really don't care which way it goes. Watching the NCAA turn G5 schools into glorified JUCO's has just about sealed it for me.

Will Wade has traction at Louisville and has been mentioned at Michigan and Vanderbilt.

He just signed a 5 year extension at McNeese (their AD actually announces things like this).

It’s going to take P5 $$$ to get him. He’s going to land in a prominent spot of his choosing or stay in Louisiana.

We got Mason for football, why not Stackhouse for hoops? 😂

Why would a kid want to commit to playing basketball here? If they don’t make a change at head coach, we are sliding into the same problem we had with football. It’s a death spiral. Poor results on The court, leading to poor talent being recruited and fans turned away with disappointmen. Year after year it gets worse and worse. This isn’t a blip on the radar, the basketball program has been bad for a while.

Meanwhile, Odom has won 20 games in three straight seasons at two different schools since we screwed up this hire. And just a couple of minutes away from another conference championship in his first year with VCU in the toughest mid major conference in the nation. Which would also be his second straight trip to the NCAA Tournament.

I misspoke. VCU wins semis but lost today in finals. My bad.

While yet to be totally determined, MT appears to have struck gold with Coach Mason. His positive personality & community reach out is beyond anything ever seen at MT.
If a coaching change was made in basketball selecting Stackhouse would seem to be getting away from the "outgoing personality" set forth by the hiring of Mason. Coach Stackhouse may know his X's & O's concepts very well, & for all I know may be an excellent recruiter. But personality wise appears much more reserved than how Coach Mason comes across.
MT men's basketball needs someone that can strike a chord with the fans. A coach not only with a proven track record, but a highly positive infectious personality that people will be drawn to.
I'm not necessarily one of those who enthusiastically supported the return of Kermit. If it came down to a decision between Davis & Stackhouse as our 2 best coaching options I would have to select Davis first. Based on his more outgoing personality & his past ability to show his support for a strong community involvement.

While yet to be totally determined, MT appears to have struck gold with Coach Mason. His positive personality & community reach out is beyond anything ever seen at MT.
If a coaching change was made in basketball selecting Stackhouse would seem to be getting away from the "outgoing personality" set forth by the hiring of Mason. Coach Stackhouse may know his X's & O's concepts very well, & for all I know may be an excellent recruiter. But personality wise appears much more reserved than how Coach Mason comes across.
MT men's basketball needs someone that can strike a chord with the fans. A coach not only with a proven track record, but a highly positive infectious personality that people will be drawn to.
I'm not necessarily one of those who enthusiastically supported the return of Kermit. If it came down to a decision between Davis & Stackhouse as our 2 best coaching options I would have to select Davis first. Based on his more outgoing personality & his past ability to show his support for a strong community involvement.
Bring back Kermit.

Bring back Kermit.
My thoughts on bringing back Kermit as our head coach again would be a mistake. A good parallel to this would be Coach Steve Prohm at Murray State. Thus far, the move to the MVC from the OVC by Murray has been tough sledding and records speak to some of the same struggles (at least this season) that are apparent with the Blue Raiders in terms of consistency and production. There are games where MT excel at 3pt attempts or the occasional 19-22 night at the charity stripe, but for every one of those superlatives we come back (and Murray displayed this year in MVC play) with a turnover plagued game or cold shooting night that resulted in a 14-20 point plus loss. NIL and transfer portal have changed recruitment and team chemistry dynamics where player skills should be constantly evaluated and evolving...not rebuilding from scratch every third or fourth year or having multi year quagmires where we struggle to reach the middle of the pack. Think we need a fresh coach with quality experience, and hungry to win a conference championship within 2-3 years. On the other hand, if we were looking for an AD, would be more supportive of Kermit fulfilling that role as a good administrator. Think his management skills and focus would help us lift our profile to improve our conference home. MT needs to be winning championships in FB, MBB, Baseball with frequency and the coaches need the budgets and resources to keep us in the top third of the conference every year and winning championships often.

Would love to see Kermit as AD and a younger coach for the Men's team but I doubt McPhee has the foresight or balls to make that move.

Massaro is a great, very controllable yes man for the current decision makers (McPhee & Steve Smith)

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
so when did Penny get fired or quit?
Penny is on borrowed time. I predicted he would have Tiger Basketball on NCAA probation within 3 years after being hired. He didn’t disappoint.

From the Commercial Appeal today:
“The University of Memphis fired its men's basketball academic advisor on Feb. 23, one day before the athletic department announced fifth-year senior Malcolm Dandridge would be withheld from competition pending a review of a potential issue related to his eligibility status.
Leslie Brooks was hired by Memphis as an athletic academic advisor for men's basketball, softball, men's golf and women's golf in August 2023, according to a copy of her personnel file obtained by The Commercial Appeal through an open records request. That file also included a copy of her termination letter.

Portions of Brooks' termination letter are redacted, including the reason for her firing. Brooks came to Memphis from Alabama State, where she spent one year as an academic advisor. She also worked as an academic advisor at Southeast Missouri State, her alma mater, from August 2020 to May 2022, according to her University of Memphis employment application.
Memphis has not commented on the matter publicly since its initial announcement on Feb. 24. Coach Penny Hardaway has also avoided discussing specifics of Dandridge's situation, repeatedly noting to reporters, 'We’re just waiting to find out, just like you guys are."

The decision to keep Dandridge out of games indefinitely stems from potential academic misconduct, multiple sources confirmed to The Commercial Appeal in February. Dandridge, who was enjoying his best season in a Memphis uniform, sat out the final five games.

Not long after the Tigers' loss to Wichita State in the AAC tournament on Thursday, Dandridge issued his first public comments since being sidelined.
"I hope them punks that wasn’t letting me play satisfied," he posted on Instagram. "The truth will come out! Be careful who you allow yourself to be around, them snakes will smile and say they love you, and stab the (expletive) out of you."

• Haha
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Will Wade has traction at Louisville and has been mentioned at Michigan and Vanderbilt.

He just signed a 5 year extension at McNeese (their AD actually announces things like this).

It’s going to take P5 $$$ to get him. He’s going to land in a prominent spot of his choosing or stay in Louisiana.
Think you could see Vandy hire Chris Mack sooner than later

Welp. Goats are out. I thought they had em for a while watching the score, but Marquette came back. Still, at least they made it..........

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT