ADVERTISEMENT

What Middle needs to do to slow down Alabama offense/score points...

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
On defense....

Load the box, Load the box, Load the box. Cavellis Lucket has got to come up huge in this game. His size at the MLB position is really going to be a factor here. We've really never had a legit sized SEC style linebacker that isn't a liability in pass coverage. C. Luckett provides just that, and will have to step up and have the best game of his career. Hoping to see the talented D.J. Sanders on the field more and working his way into a starting role.

MT's chances are going to live and die with the front 7. As much as I love Cutrer, his size could be a liability on Saturday as stopping the run has to be priority #1. Byard also isn't traditionally known as the nastiest safety to come down a lay a big hit. These guys are really going to have to step up because if we don't stop/slow down Bama's run game, we have zero chance of even keeping it close. Singletary is a liability in pass coverage, but I believe was #4 on the team in tackles last year, so perhaps we'll see him more this week.

I say load the box and force them to throw to win. If they can beat us through the air (which they probably can) then so be it. At least make them one dimensional and take away what they love to do (run the ball). Their QB's were not forced to win the game through the air with Wisconsin because they more or less ran at will. Shaq Huff & Pat McNeil (320lbs each) must raise absolute hell up front. At the very least clog up the lanes between the tackles and force their RB's outside where it's more difficult to block LB's. If our defensive line allows the RB to run between the tackles, it is much easier for Alabama to block our 2nd level linebackers. Forcing them to run outside the tackles at least gives us a chance to hawk them down. With Bama's OL averaging over 310 pounds, our guys have their work cut out for them.....

On offense....

Watch the left tackle position. You can bet your ass Nick Saban is going to try and punish our true freshman starter, Chandler Brewer. If he struggles early, Stock won't hesitate to give Carlos Johnson a chance whom I thought for SURE would win the job over anyone else. The Brewer kid must be really, really good because I thought Carlos Johnson would be special here at MT. (And he still might).....Our WR's won't have any obvious mismatches with all of our startering WR's being 6'0 or less. TE's Pettis & Hamilton (Both 6'5) provide our only potential mismatches in terms of height and weight, so I'm expecting Faulkner to have the TE's very involved in our game plan.

Wisconsin, a team known for power running, ran for only 40 yards on 21 carries against Alabama. Lining up and trying to power it down their throats didn't work, and it isn't going to work for the Blue Raiders either. Look for our coaches to run lots of misdirection, off-tackle, draws, and screen style plays. Grammar will see many more snaps this game because of his ability to run, in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Grammar take just as many snaps as Brent, especially if Brent struggles early. Faulkner must find a way to manufacture some yards with our RB's, or else it's going to be a long day.

On special teams.....

If we are truly going to win this game, we are going to have to take some chances. Why not implement an option style punt that allows the punter to make a choice on whether to punt or run? I'll link a youtube video to better explain what I mean by that (). Also, we won't win this game with field goals, so rolling the dice on maybe a 4th and 3 at their 20 might be needed. I know Stock has traditionally been mega conservative, but that's not gonna get it done playing arguably the best team in the country. Both punters didn't look too great either against Jackson St., with Trevor Owens averaging a measly 26 yards on 2 punts and Bonadies only punting for 38 yards on his lone try. Field position will be huge in this game so having an adequate punter is a must.

Overall, this will be a feast or famine game. Something along the lines of 55-7 or 42-28. We are either going to have offensive success or weren't not. Bama will get their points one way or another. This will be a great gauge and test for our team and will give our coaches a lot of film to see where we need to improve and get better. I think we'll most certainly see some depth chart changes after this game based on who shines and who struggles. Regardless of the results, I know we will give great effort and surprise everyone in that stadium. The last two times we have played the Crimson Tide they've been pretty humbled after facing us. We all but won our first match up and for all intents and purposes did (bullshit holding call) and when we played down there in 2005 you could hear a pindrop at half time in the restrooms (Alabama led by only 2....9-7)....

Last edited:
Offensively, MT needs to stretch the Alabama defense horizontally (by alignment), utilize RPO (run-pass options/packaged plays), screens, and the quick game to nullify the Alabama pass rush. Ideally, going 4 wide and no-huddle a first down to start the drive should simplify the Alabama defense and get their base personnel off the field. Even then, Alabama's secondary is no slouch. Saban and Smart both cut their teeth as secondary coaches, IIRC.

Defensively, follow keys, stay at home, and tackle Henry. Wisconsin got beat for a 50+ TD run by Henry b/c the defense (particularly the LB) followed the motioning WR instead of the pulling OL on this Jet Counter

We need Bama to turn it over about 4 times...and then we have to hit some BIG plays. No way we are going to have 10-12 play drives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT