ADVERTISEMENT

Skip Holtz is out at La. Tech

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012

Will coach final game against Rice. Was at La. Tech for 9 seasons, was 2016 CUSA Coach of the Year. Overall record at La. Tech 64-49. (56.6% W/L)

Unclear if he's being fired and paid a buyout, or resigning w/ some sort of negotiated severance deal. Probably the latter.

I hope everyone applies pressure on twitter on some other forms of communication. Lord knows media and higher ups don’t care.

I spoke to a former Defensive end today about the current state of MT. He says we have got to get the Ws. We are weak and so are the facilities. Can’t recruit great athletes with these facilities and APRs. This guy wants a change. The only people that do not want change are the AD and Prez. Come on Man!

LaTech in 2019 played Miami in a bowl game. They shut out Miami 14-0 in that game. I think that's the only G5 team to ever shut out a P5 team in posteason play. Holtz's bowl record was insanely great. You can talk championships all you want but they won their bowls and beat 2 P5 teams in bowl games as well. they had bad years last year and thins year but before that, they were rolling.

The J'mar controversy led to this parting of ways. If J'mar would have played, they would be 6-5 right now.

Been following this recently, I’ve been following MT all my life and have also talked to former players. The main thing I’m hearing is that MT needs a facilities upgrade stat. They say it’s hard to get recruits to come there when they see the outdated facilities on visits and they choose to go elsewhere

What upgrades specifically. Stadium? Weight room? Lockers?

outdated facilities means nothing to me. I don’t use it. Not being a jerk, I just want to know what specifically turns off a recruit.

isn’t this a job of an athletics director? Step out of your office once in a while and figure out what the issues are specifically and solve them?

Been following this recently, I’ve been following MT all my life and have also talked to former players. The main thing I’m hearing is that MT needs a facilities upgrade stat. They say it’s hard to get recruits to come there when they see the outdated facilities on visits and they choose to go elsewhere

This has been a known problem since Troy was beating us for recruits circa 2006.

This isn't anything new and certainly should not be used an excuse as our administration and staff have known it's an issue for quite literally decades.

This has been a known problem since Troy was beating us for recruits circa 2006.

This isn't anything new and certainly should not be used an excuse as our administration and staff have known it's an issue for quite literally decades.
And it should be crystal clear that they don't really care

Facilities make a difference.

And MT’s facilities issues have been an issue for some time. It’s unfortunate that it’s talen this long to get the necessary upgrades to compete with peer programs, but the facility upgrades are a step in the right direction.

I’ve also heard recruits say “family” (or feeling like family) pushed them toward MT. And this is where I think Stockstill makes his money. Like him or hate him, he builds relationships with the players.

Facilities make a difference.

And MT’s facilities issues have been an issue for some time. It’s unfortunate that it’s talen this long to get the necessary upgrades to compete with peer programs, but the facility upgrades are a step in the right direction.

I’ve also heard recruits say “family” (or feeling like family) pushed them toward MT. And this is where I think Stockstill makes his money. Like him or hate him, he builds relationships with the players.
But what does he do with the players once they get here? He hasn't had a winning season in 3 years.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Facilities help with recruiting. Players win games at this level. Stock seems to do okay with developing what we get but we need better players. Nick Saban wouldn’t be the coach he is if he were in Kansas. Personally, I think everyone is underselling how big of a need this is. We need to get better recruiters on staff and give them the tools to go get the players they want.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Are there any rumblings staff changes will be made after the season? He is a former competitive athlete, I'd like to think he cannot be satisfied with being .500, but here he is.
Hell, he's stood by while the Offensive line (never dominating in his tenure) turn increasingly to crap the last half dozen years and not made a move there. Hell, Franklin resigned (IIRC) - Stockstill didn't fire that toxic piece of crap.

Look at how Jim Harbaugh retooled his staff. He hired all younger guys and fired all the boomers on his staff. There is not an assistant over 45 years of age on his staff now. And look at how much better Michigan is…

ive said it before and I’ll say it again. This is becoming a young mans game more and more with each passing year.

time to purge the friends and get some young blood in here

Hell, he's stood by while the Offensive line (never dominating in his tenure) turn increasingly to crap the last half dozen years and not made a move there. Hell, Franklin resigned (IIRC) - Stockstill didn't fire that toxic piece of crap.
And that while that position group was responsible for protecting his own son. If he couldn't see the problem then when would he ever? One of the worst O-Line's we had was during Brent's time here and has just kept getting worse. And I don't think the guys we have now are that bad. They just aren't being developed and getting the instruction they need.

Are there any rumblings staff changes will be made after the season? He is a former competitive athlete, I'd like to think he cannot be satisfied with being .500, but here he is.
Siriki Diabate (LB coach) is on his way to UConn. It wouldn't shock me if Shafer got a look after how the defense performed this year. Dearmon's familiarity with Alabama and/or Malzahn offense may get him an opportunity to be HC Jacksonville State or SMU OC with Rhett Lashlee (another Malzahn disciple).

West and Mallory need to retire. The OL has been pretty horrendous for several years while the DL improved this year, West just seems to be milking his TN retirement

Siriki Diabate (LB coach) is on his way to UConn. It wouldn't shock me if Shafer got a look after how the defense performed this year. Dearmon's familiarity with Alabama and/or Malzahn offense may get him an opportunity to be HC Jacksonville State or SMU OC with Rhett Lashlee (another Malzahn disciple).

West and Mallory need to retire. The OL has been pretty horrendous for several years while the DL improved this year, West just seems to be milking his TN retirement
Dearmon won’t be going to JSU, as they are nearing a deal to make Rich Rod their next HC.

Not a bad hire (if you can look past some of the off-the-field stuff)

Dearmon won’t be going to JSU, as they are nearing a deal to make Rich Rod their next HC.

Not a bad hire (if you can look past some of the off-the-field stuff)
Not bad at all... I thought the Helton to Ga Southern was a good one. Name recognition as well.

Why can't Middle make a splashy hire for once? One with some name recognition...

Orgeron to Middle.. lol

Not bad at all... I thought the Helton to Ga Southern was a good one. Name recognition as well.

Why can't Middle make a splashy hire for once? One with some name recognition...

Orgeron to Middle.. lol
I can't figure that one out. There were some "splash" names interested in the MBB position after CKD left and McPhee wanted McD. When MT replaced Andy Mac, they went with a TE coach from USC Jr.

You can add another G5 in Troy that doesn't accept mediocrity.

Also, C-USA 4.0 is going to be harder than the current version we are in.

Jerry Kill
Rich Rodriguez
Hugh Freeze

And he's already getting his butt handed to him by Ty Helton as he's 0-3 against him. It's hard to imagine that either or both La Tech or FIU not making decent hires.

There are no C-USA titles anywhere in site for this program under Stockstill.

I can't figure that one out. There were some "splash" names interested in the MBB position after CKD left and McPhee wanted McD. When MT replaced Andy Mac, they went with a TE coach from USC Jr.
Isn't USC Jr where he wanted to hire the MBB coach from, but got overruled? May have been a good hire for all I know if it happened.

Brian Kelly to LSU they are saying. Holy crap. Gotta be paying him a buttload to leave the ease of Notre Dame ACC for the SEC west.

Brian Kelly to LSU they are saying. Holy crap. Gotta be paying him a buttload to leave the ease of Notre Dame ACC for the SEC west.
P5 schools are playing with Monopoly money.

We are less than 10 years away from being unable to afford any coach currently on a P5 school’s staff. Forget Massaro hiring South Carolina’s TE coach when Stock retires in 2028, their TE coach would need to take a pay cut at the rate these salaries are exploding.

Gophers just fired there OC..could be a cheap pickup in the unlikely event of a retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT