ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Obligatory Meltdown/Fire Everybody/Venting Thread...

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
I feel like we have one of these every year these days, but let's try to keep things civilized if at all possible.

Feel free to air any and all of your grievances here, though.

It might work as a type of therapeutic release for some..

giphy.gif

Reactions: C-Bow
I don't have any fancy gifs, don't know what to say, honestly, I am not all that upset. I will show up with the other 10K diehards next week.

We just are not improving as a program after 10 years. Despite spending more money on a leader than any program in CUSA and all the stability we are just not that good.

4-8 in the last 12 games - where is the evidence that we will ever be much better?

Next week is a must win...

Reactions: Raiderclyde
I dont think anyone can come remotely close to Al Bundy in the upper deck losing his shit
Dude he was losing shit first series. Has anyone seen him at an MT game before. I am convinced he was a goat fan just coming over to be obnoxious. He only knew numbers and his shirt still had the hanger wrinkles. Does anybody know this clown? If so there is a bandwagon somewhere that needs him.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
I don't have any fancy gifs, don't know what to say, honestly, I am not all that upset. I will show up with the other 10K diehards next week.

We just are not improving as a program after 10 years. Despite spending more money on a leader than any program in CUSA and all the stability we are just not that good.

4-8 in the last 12 games - where is the evidence that we will ever be much better?

Next week is a must win...
Truthfully this week was a must win after the candy collapse. Now every game from here on out is must win.

We now need 5-1 to reach the modest 7-5 expectation that some predicted. Quite doable, but we must to find a good kicking game and better productivity in running. Open question: what happens if we go 3-3 (or worse) and end up with a losing season, what changes have to be made?

The easy wins I see: FAU, North Texas, and UTSA. Marshall and La Tech are tough. FIU is a toss up, but we should win. That gets us to 6-6, assuming we win next week and lose our two toughies. Disappointing outlook for sure.

Let's be honest...WKU is the best team in CUSA this year. Starts a 6th year SR QB with Round 2-3 draft grade, two SR Wr, and a ton of experience in several positions. Brohm has done a GREAT job of NOT just running Petrino's offense but studying what Chip Kelly and Manning among other QB

Despite all of that, Vegas had the game pegged at 7 (and they know more about these teams than anyone and have built skyscrapers to prove it.....Vegas even liked MT in this game via dropping the line despite WKU receiving the majority of the betting action)....Results against Vanderbilt were also fairly similar (except Vandy threw 2 or 3 red zone INT's against WKU and not us).

Stop trying to makes excuses for this team not showing up and blowing yet another opportunity.....(That's 3 in a row now....)

WKU may be the best team in CUSA but we should at least be competitive with them. Charlotte hasn't had football for long, so they have legit excuse for getting beat like this. We don't. They would have had no problem putting up 70, if Brohm hadn't felt sorry for us.

We now need 5-1 to reach the modest 7-5 expectation that some predicted. Quite doable, but we must to find a good kicking game and better productivity in running. Open question: what happens if we go 3-3 (or worse) and end up with a losing season, what changes have to be made?

The easy wins I see: FAU, North Texas, and UTSA. Marshall and La Tech are tough. FIU is a toss up, but we should win. That gets us to 6-6, assuming we win next week and lose our two toughies. Disappointing outlook for sure.

After today, I don't think there are really any remaining games where I'd say MTSU should win. Maybe UNT if I had to pick one. Up next, FIU. They are having a better season compared to their recent typical seasons. Don't look now, but just today FIU whooped UTEP. I have little to no expectation of a MT win vs FIU. Even in typical poor seasons, FAU always seems to play MT close. I see no reason to expect anything different at this point. Myself, I'm not putting that FAU egg in the basket either. Marshall? Unless MTSU turns things around dramatically, I'd count that one in the L column. Same for LaTech. The same LaTech that only lost by a few points to WKU. Then today, UTSA played LaTech real close. I'm nowhere close to expecting MTSU to beat UTSA. UTSA who played a brutal OOC schedule, and lost to LaTech real close. Their overall record is deceptive IMO.

In general, I'd say that the rest of the season the games are winnable. With the way MTSU seems to be heading, I also think MTSU could lose each of those games quite easily as well. UNT might be the one team on our remaining schedule struggling worse than MT right now.

After the last couple of weeks, I just don't have much confidence in MTSU winning hardly any of the remaining game. If I was forced to make a prediction right now, I'd say MT wins maybe 3 more this season. I'm not glad about that prediction either.

I'm to the point where I hope we lose out in order to force some changes. I feel like we've had our current coordinators in place for way too long without any results. I'm fine with keeping Nix but I wouldn't care if he left. Buster on the other hand has got to go, but I suspect he'll drop 70 on some high school teams and get to continue keeping his job because in theory (and when going against air) his offense works great!

I'm to the point where I hope we lose out in order to force some changes. I feel like we've had our current coordinators in place for way too long without any results. I'm fine with keeping Nix but I wouldn't care if he left. Buster on the other hand has got to go, but I suspect he'll drop 70 on some high school teams and get to continue keeping his job because in theory (and when going against air) his offense works great!

I pretty much agree. I'm starting to think that Buster might be the "sacrificial lamb" if this season continues as is. I'm getting to be of the mind that Buster needs to move on regardless. Like you, I'm concerned a big numbers game vs a poor defense might skew things towards him staying.

With the exception of today, Ty Nix at least seemed to be improving the D this season. Being that he was just given the full reigns this season, I'm a little more willing to see if he can continue to improve the D.

Whoever coaches sp teams, particularly punting, would be fired immediately. That is if sp teams especially punting coach is even an actual coaching position.

Sacrificial lamb my arse. If he gets fired (and that's a big if....for some reason I just have a hard time seeing Stock do it) it is well deserved.

And I think Rick better think long and hard about this one. His son will have 3 years to play here at MT after this season is over. Does he really want to waste another year of his eligibility with Buster and potentially have to bring in a new offensive coordinator when Brent is half way through his college career? Bite the bullet now, go out and find a young brilliant mind running an attack similar to what Western does, and let's see what Brent and these weapons can do for the next 3 years.

I think the defense is close to being there. It's difficult to say that after today, but that's really their only bad performance in the 5 games we've played. I'm inclined to give them a pass because everyone has off days and WKU does have one of the best offenses in the country. So I'm OK with Nix staying, for sure. (Though I wouldn't be upset if he left)

No one is beating WKU in CUSA this year. Absolutely no one. Marshall has to play at WKU and they are going to get swallowed up too. We are in a nose dive and we have to pull out of it. I hope we can but we need to retool the offense and make some decisions.

I wish we would have tried Grammer after we were down by 30. He's gotten a bad break and should have had a chance to play. He can run and probably would have given us a shot in the arm. Brent just looked confused all day. SMH.

I agree with the nobody-is-beating-WKU sentiment. So where does that leave us? Big OOC wins? Nope. CUSA title? Nope. Here we are, same ol song & dance fighting for "bowl eligibility" with Rick Stockstill & Co. In a year where we were supposed to have a great team with high expectations it's just another battle for bowl eligibility. No championships, no wins of any importance, and a very embarassing loss to our rival WKU combined with a heart breaking loss to Vanderbilt....Just put me out of my misery jesus christ. I really don't know why I do this year in year out. Same shit, every year, yet here I am expecting different results. What's the definition of insanity again?

We have not even talked about how bad this loss is for recruiting. WKU was already winning most of the battles despite us beating them 5 of the last 6. Now, with this ass kicking, they're gonna have their choice of the litter. Really who cares though at this point. Same old song and dance. Stock has been here a decade now. We already know what we're gonna get. I can predict the results of our seasons for the next 10 years as long as he remains coach....(goes something like this.....)

2016: 7-5 (Bunch of 2 star recruits who had only FCS offers sign with MT, a few 3 star players also sign but will never become starters at MT because they were overhyped from the get-go, Georgia LB ends up at MT after failing to qualify)
2017: 5-7 (More 2 star recruits who only had FCS offers come to MT, a few 3 star players also sign but will never become starters at MT because they were overhyped from the get-go, DE originally committed to Auburn fails to qualify and signs with MT in December)
2018: 4-8 (More 2 star recruits who only had FCS offers come to MT, a few 3 star players also sign but will never become starters at MT because they were overhyped from the get-go, Talented safety out of Alabama fails to qualify for Georgia Tech, ends up at MT)
2019: 8-5 (More 2 star recruits who only had FCS offers come to MT, a few 3 star players also sign but will never become starters at MT because they were overhyped from the get-go, Talented RB out of Knoxville fails to qualify for UTK, ends up at MT)
2020: 6-7 (More 2 star recruits who only had FCS offers come to MT, a few 3 star players also sign but will never become starters at MT because they were overhyped from the get-go, Talented QB out of Florida fails to qualify for U of Miami, ends up at MT)
2021: 7-6 (More 2 star recruits who only had FCS offers come to MT, a few 3 star players also sign but will never become starters at MT because they were overhyped from the get-go, Talented DT out of Louisana fails to qualify for Kentucky, ends up at MT)
2022: Stockstill finally resigns after his best-selling novel "How to always achieve 50%" sells 90 million copies.

There you have it folks. No need to even bother watching/listening to the games for the next 6 years.

I do agree: The loss yesterday could have disastrous consequences come signing day. WKU already gets way to many MIDDLE TENNESSEE recruits out of MIDDLE TENNESSEE that MIDDLE TENNESSEE battled them for. Not to mention players from other places that we both offer. And we were once a FB school and WKU was a BkB school.

Another snafu by Chris Massaro was to allow WKU into the CUSA. He should have voted against their entry. Another dumb move by him.

I wish we would have tried Grammer after we were down by 30. He's gotten a bad break and should have had a chance to play. He can run and probably would have given us a shot in the arm. Brent just looked confused all day. SMH.

Did anyone else notice Grammer showed up in the box score with 2 catches yesterday? While I agree there should be a time and place to put him back under center, at least they're trying to get creative with him..

With Batties graduating this year, perhaps we see Austin switch over to receiver full time next year?,

Another snafu by Chris Massaro was to allow WKU into the CUSA. He should have voted against their entry. Another dumb move by him.

WKU earned and deserved the CUSA bid. To keep them out for selfish reasons like that is petty. We are better than that. They are a first class mid-major athletic program with facilities that some P-5 schools would love to have. The football stadium and amenities are nicer than Univ. of Kansas which I visited earlier this year. I was shocked at the improvements they've made to the entire campus (not just athletics) since we visited with my oldest son in 2004. The drive took me only 75 min from my driveway in Franklin to the University Blvd. roundabout. Now I understand how they can offer in-state tuition to most Middle TN counties as far south as Williamson.

WKU earned and deserved the CUSA bid. To keep them out for selfish reasons like that is petty. We are better than that. They are a first class mid-major athletic program with facilities that some P-5 schools would love to have. The football stadium and amenities are nicer than Univ. of Kansas which I visited earlier this year. I was shocked at the improvements they've made to the entire campus (not just athletics) since we visited with my oldest son in 2004. The drive took me only 75 min from my driveway in Franklin to the University Blvd. roundabout. Now I understand how they can offer in-state tuition to most Middle TN counties as far south as Williamson.

Maybe instead of crying about WKU being in CUSA we should take an honest look at our own athletic department. We should never fear what's going on at WKU and instead improve what's going on with us.

And I agree! Looking at Chris Massaro for direction on this statement!

Maybe instead of crying about WKU being in CUSA we should take an honest look at our own athletic department. We should never fear what's going on at WKU and instead improve what's going on with us.

Sacrificial lamb my arse. If he gets fired (and that's a big if....for some reason I just have a hard time seeing Stock do it) it is well deserved.

Of course, I really don't know just what coach stock will or won't do to make changes at the end of the year. The "sacrificial lamb" mention is an intended reference to the tendency of HCs under pressure and on the hot seat firing coords to try to make some sort of change and to take off some of the overall pressure. I'm not suggesting that this is or isn't the case with Buster, but all too often some good coords get fired for the political reasons of the appearance to key supporters that the HC is trying to make significant changes.

There is no way on god's green earth Stockstill gets the South Carolina job. Not only is he not qualified, but there are double digits coaches out there who would be better candidates

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT