ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

Way back when Stock was hired, there were rumors that Massaro was really trying to get Muschamp. I wonder if that is still something he would go back to.

Mack - I guess I would support him, but looking at his bio and career, it’s not very exciting or “wow” by any means.

At one time I was a Larry Fedora fan and hoped somehow he would work his way back. However it seems like I have read over the years that he is a little crazy. His latest USFL departure even sounds a little weird. Did he just go insane?

#3 Jones is a position coach. His only HC experience was at Westwood HS and Cordova HS however, he is an excellent recruiter. So was Stock. In his early years as an assistant.
#4 Stewart is gone.
#5 So is Shafer. Especially not Shafer. There will be no leftovers from this current staff considered. Not gonna go into why but , after last Monday morning Shafer may already be out the door.
Don’t know the author of this article but he’s clueless.

Way back when Stock was hired, there were rumors that Massaro was really trying to get Muschamp. I wonder if that is still something he would go back to.

Mack - I guess I would support him, but looking at his bio and career, it’s not very exciting or “wow” by any means.

At one time I was a Larry Fedora fan and hoped somehow he would work his way back. However it seems like I have read over the years that he is a little crazy. His latest USFL departure even sounds a little weird. Did he just go insane?
Muschamp hasn't won as a HC anywhere he's been and he's a loose cannon. That would be a mistake. We don't need a wow name retread. We need a young guy who has been successful beyond his resources.

Muschamp hasn't won as a HC anywhere he's been and he's a loose cannon. That would be a mistake. We don't need a wow name retread. We need a young guy who has been successful beyond his resources.

Yep. Some guys are coordinators but have no business being a HC. Will has proven to be a pretty good DC, but underachieved as HC at both stops.

I could see Massaro loving Will though. A career .500 coach with South Carolina ties and no prospects of leaving anytime soon for a P5 job.

GT fans really seem to like what he did there.

I'm not sure we can evaluate any OC's time here independently with the way CRS allegedly micromanaged.
Buster did get us the GT win and the Marshall win in 2013. in 12 and 13 we averaged 8 wins a season. 14-15 were rougher seasons. We had no defense either. We did get incredible WKU performances which got us wins in 12 and 14. He wouldn't be the worst thing ever but.... I still think we need a younger guy who's more hungry.

GT fans really seem to like what he did there.

I'm not sure we can evaluate any OC's time here independently with the way CRS allegedly micromanaged.

Given McPhee’s track record, if Massaro wants to move this direction, Sydney might push him to hire GA Mangus since “it’s essentially the same, plus we can probably get GA cheaper from the high school he coaches at now.”

Sadly I am only slightly being sarcastic.

How young do you want? Isn't Buster like 41 or 42?? Seems like just the right age for a head coach.

At the end of the day Rick is gone so I’m just happy with that. I really don’t care who the coach is as long as the contract has a low buyout so we can get out of it if it doesn’t work out. Every hire is essentially throwing darts and seeing what sticks.

At the end of the day Rick is gone so I’m just happy with that. I really don’t care who the coach is as long as the contract has a low buyout so we can get out of it if it doesn’t work out. Every hire is essentially throwing darts and seeing what sticks.
This right here is the key. A&M learned from their Fisher fiasco, so Elko's contract is structured entirely different. More incentives, auto extend only for playoffs, lower buyout.

Hopefully CM learned to not set autos at bowls. I'm fine with a bonus for bowls, especially in a first contract. But auto only for conf champ. Everything else, WKU win, P4 win, bowl win, ranking, etc should be bonuses.

This right here is the key. A&M learned from their Fisher fiasco, so Elko's contract is structured entirely different. More incentives, auto extend only for playoffs, lower buyout.

Hopefully CM learned to not set autos at bowls. I'm fine with a bonus for bowls, especially in a first contract. But auto only for conf champ. Everything else, WKU win, P4 win, bowl win, ranking, etc should be bonuses.

Exactly. Think contracts should be more about bonuses than extensions. No more than three-year extensions under any circumstances--that requires NYD 6 Bowl or highest G5 ranked school or final year-end Top 25 ranking. In C-USA, final rankings would require earning an outright championship (given Liberty is just #24 in the CFP poll right now and undefeated and Marshall only finished #23 back in 2014 as examples)...we're not the Tennessee Vols still getting ranked with four losses deep out of a championship race. Outright Conference Championship won is worth two years. Minimum 7-wins plus being top three conference finisher equals one year and FCS division wins would not count towards the seven. Bowl victories, Championship Game appearances, in-season AP/Coaches rankings, and notable P5(4) wins equal bonuses. Bowl eligibility and WKU wins are an essential expectation to keep a job than a reward.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Chesney

That is a guy who has had success at multiple stops. Listed as JMU possibility, so unlikely we would get him.

Very good quals. I like him, but given his entire life is in the northeast I-95 corridor, he probably wouldn't be a good fit in a small southern town. Mid Virginia is a perfect spot for him. Close enough to southern talent and close enough to where he has contacts for northern talent. That would a good hire for JMU, but I would not be surprised if they promoted from within.

Reactions: ewglenn
Very good quals. I like him, but given his entire life is in the northeast I-95 corridor, he probably wouldn't be a good fit in a small southern town. Mid Virginia is a perfect spot for him. Close enough to southern talent and close enough to where he has contacts for northern talent. That would a good hire for JMU, but I would not be surprised if they promoted from within.
JMU’s AD hinted that they won’t promote from within. I also had thoughts of where he coached, but a winner is a winner. Fit does matter though. I would be calling him of I were UCONN/UMASS or even BC since he seems to like Catholic schools.

JMU’s AD hinted that they won’t promote from within. I also had thoughts of where he coached, but a winner is a winner. Fit does matter though. I would be calling him of I were UCONN/UMASS or even BC since he seems to like Catholic schools.
Whether right or wrong, I think a preference for Nashville area recruiting/fundraising is being prioritized in this search.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I heard it from someone who is tapped into UT recruiting. But MT has been in contact with Tim Banks for 2 straight days to be HBC. I've heard it's mainly interest, but we'll see what comes from it.

Reactions: Tyler Pellom
I've heard Blake Baker interviewed this week as well.
If CM did talk to Manny (and I certainly think he would've at the very least called him just to talk), it's possible Manny recommended we talk to Baker. He's worked with Manny at several stops.

Reactions: mtfblue
If CM did talk to Manny (and I certainly think he would've at the very least called him just to talk), it's possible Manny recommended we talk to Baker. He's worked with Manny at several stops.

Yep. And he's had a lot of success where ever he's been. Not a name I had thought about.

That’s an unusual amount of transparency for CM. I applaud him for sharing this. It’s obvious he understands the gravity of getting this hire right. Like many, not a fan of his, but I appreciate the update.
Agree. So far in this process he has said all the right things. I'm anxious to see if he can redeem himself further and follow through on what he's said, and not just with the hire.

That’s an unusual amount of transparency for CM. I applaud him for sharing this. It’s obvious he understands the gravity of getting this hire right. Like many, not a fan of his, but I appreciate the update.
I found that interesting, too, and agree with you. Most searches are not “updated” officially midway.

I would guess this means - as talked about in the Lightning Lounge - that in-person interviews are about to begin and, as such, names could start leaking.

Read Blake Baker salary is $1.1 million with an $100,000 annual increase at Missouri. Could possibly be done, but tough for us to even match. Lateral pay, but the opportunity to be a head coach.

Unless we hire the Peay guy, I think the salary is going to be over $1M for the next coach.
Stock made a bit over $900k last year. If we are going to commit, do it. Even Rich Rod hit $1m last year. I'm not saying Liberty $. Just throw that out the window. But we should be near the top not counting them.

Stock made a bit over $900k last year. If we are going to commit, do it. Even Rich Rod hit $1m last year. I'm not saying Liberty $. Just throw that out the window. But we should be near the top not counting them.
I would guess Stock took a slight pay cut in order to get the 6 win renewal, so to your point, the next coach will likely be paid a little more.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Unless we hire the Peay guy, I think the salary is going to be over $1M for the next coach.
I think that is close to 100% accurate. To me, what’s equally, or even more important, is what the assistant coach’s pool $$$ going to be?
We can hire a great HC, but if he is hamstrung by a below market assistant coaches salary pool, we might have some of the same issues we have complained about with some of Stocks assistant coaches.

Last edited:
No. Probably fell for the same thing most of us did. That headline shows up on Google still but the story doesn't exist.
That came from a parody account of Pete Thamel tweet. They probably did a quick post and then removed it once they read that is was a parody account. No gravity to it at all. If he's talking to 2 UT assistants, that's a mistake too.

I think that is close to 100% accurate. To me, what’s equally, or even more important, is what the assistant coach’s pool $$$ going to be?
We can hire a great HC, but if he is hamstrung by a below market assistant coaches salary pool we might have some of the same issues we have all complained about with some of Stocks assistant coaches.
Totally agree. That's why I've been hoping for Scott Walden. Getting him for possibly a 4 year $600,000 contract with incentives would allow for some decent salaries for some good assistants.

I think our coordinators were paid pretty decently in comparison with our peers. Is that not right?
In line with the conference. But the problem now is that our coordinator pay is less than position coach at a P5. Getting harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT