ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

Brew_Raider

True Blue
Oct 31, 2015
Names I have seen mentioned as potential coach possibilities. Any hard no/yes on the list? More options?

1. Drew Cronic
  2. Manny Diaz
  3. Charlie Weis Jr
  4. Todd Bates
  5. Willie Simmons
  6. Mike Jacobs
  7. Drew Hollingshead
  8. Charlie Strong
  9. Walt Bell
  10. Joe Craddock
  11. Darrin Hinshaw

I don't care who we get as long as they do 2 things.

1. Hit the portal extremely hard. It's no secret Stock didn't want to use the portal that much. A school like us should live in there.

2. Recruit Tennessee/Rutherford Co extremely hard. For whatever reason, Tennessee seemed to be an afterthought to this staff. We need to recruit this state first and offer every D1 prospect in this county.

Edit: In regards to your list above, I don't think I want anyone that has been associated with this program the past 18 years to be the head coach. We need to flip this program on it's head and hire someone that comes from the outside. We need to do things differently.

Last edited:
Names I have seen mentioned as potential coach possibilities. Any hard no/yes on the list? More options?

1. Drew Cronic
  2. Manny Diaz
  3. Charlie Weis Jr
  4. Todd Bates
  5. Willie Simmons
  6. Mike Jacobs
  7. Drew Hollingshead
  8. Charlie Strong
  9. Walt Bell
  10. Joe Craddock
  11. Darrin Hinshaw
Born and raised a Sooner and I still keep up.
Todd Bates is a hell of a recruiter and players coach

Kendal Briles currently earns $1.25 million annually as TCU offensive coordinator.

Willie Simmons is 64–24 all time as a HC and 37-8 in the last four seasons. He is certainly someone to talk with.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
And no conference championships. But should get one this year.

It is against pretty much only HBCUs so they are one of the better funded programs they’ve been competing with but he is clearly winning those games.
obviously you've never been to Tallahassee on the other side of the tracks. They just updated the football building and it's still bad. FAMU is more concerned with academics and most of the money goes there

Boots was hired to come here in '79 from Austin Peay. Let's do it again.
I have a good feeling about Scotty Walden.
Done great things at Austin Peay. Watched his team give Tennessee fits all day. Smart offense & well coached.
Would not be as expensive as some of the other options & with more youthful enthusiasm.

Walden and Simmons seem to be the guys that I think I would prefer. Like others, I was impressed with what Walden and AP did vs UTk. Simmons is a success at the FCS level, and I think could be primed for a move up.

Diaz would be a good hire, I think he got shafted at Miami (look how much trouble Cristobal is having). Charlie Strong would be a splashy name, but not sure he has much in the tank after the USF debacle.

I'm not too familiar with the others.

Reactions: mtfblue
Do we really want Buster ball back? Not that it was bad. We were 29-21 his 4yrs. And he won as OC at A State too. But do we want anyone that was a Stock staff member at all? Same for Simmons.

I personally think it should be no one associated with us in the past at all. I might still give Diaz a call just to say we tried, but he's the only one.

I will give Buster credit though as he was on staff at Georgia for their last two champs, so he should understand how a championship organization works.

Buster Faulkner, learn the name. I think he'll be the guy
Why? He has never been a head coach. He could be the next Saban, but he would most likely be somewhere between Stockstill and Jeremy Pruitt.

I've mentioned it before, but Kevin Creasy has won multiple championships at two different schools, and he would instantly bring Murfreesboro football fans to see the Raiders.

Why? He has never been a head coach. He could be the next Saban, but he would most likely be somewhere between Stockstill and Jeremy Pruitt.

I've mentioned it before, but Kevin Creasy has won multiple championships at two different schools, and he would instantly bring Murfreesboro football fans to see the Raiders.

Does he have any college coaching experience?

New name popped up on my surfing:

UTk Running Backs coach Jerry Mack.

43 yrs old, was successful as a head coach at the FCS level, known as a great recruiter.

Reactions: mtfblue
Buster Faulkner, learn the name. I think he'll be the guy

Underwhelming.

I think most people here would be unhappy with that hire.

We were glad to see him & his bubble screen offense leave the first time. I’m sure he learned at UGA and GT, but that would be a disappointing hire.

Disappointing : a true Massaro move. Finally move on from Stock to give fans hope, then dash it by bringing back a person that was a major part of that era’s mediocrity.

I really hope we get this hire right, im ok with taking lumps in year 1 & 2. Walden sounds good, but we need a HC who can build a staff and recruit. Having a coach familiar with in-state talent is cool, but we also need guys on staff who can recruit hotbeds like GA, FL, SC and TX well.

obviously you've never been to Tallahassee on the other side of the tracks. They just updated the football building and it's still bad. FAMU is more concerned with academics and most of the money goes there
That’s partially my point, all of the HBCU facilities are terrible. FAMU is still one of the better ones out of the rest.

Boots was hired to come here in '79 from Austin Peay. Let's do it again.
I have a good feeling about Scotty Walden.
Done great things at Austin Peay. Watched his team give Tennessee fits all day. Smart offense & well coached.
Would not be as expensive as some of the other options & with more youthful enthusiasm.
I feel the same way, he is my number one guy and has been for a while now.

Gosha.....ai think he got into some trouble at FAMU, IIRC.
He was spending money on the football team, and one of the trustees didn't like that. Now he is the ASSISTANT AD at Tulane and leading candidate for the job

Simmons left here because he got arrested for beating his girlfriend in 2011. I doubt he comes back. We went 2-10 the year he was the OC. Just saying.
let's see, I guess people don't mature and grow. The man is married and has had 2 HC jobs since then. We won 3 straight swac titles as OC, won 1 MEAC title as HC , and plays for the SWAC title this weekend.

Reactions: subkyle and MTLynn
I really hope we get this hire right, im ok with taking lumps in year 1 & 2. Walden sounds good, but we need a HC who can build a staff and recruit. Having a coach familiar with in-state talent is cool, but we also need guys on staff who can recruit hotbeds like GA, FL, SC and TX well.
Walden was a head coach at East Texas Baptist College. He played in college in Texas and was at Southern Miss for a while. I think he would be able to recruit the south and TX well.

Do we really want Buster ball back? Not that it was bad. We were 29-21 his 4yrs. And he won as OC at A State too. But do we want anyone that was a Stock staff member at all? Same for Simmons.

I personally think it should be no one associated with us in the past at all. I might still give Diaz a call just to say we tried, but he's the only one.

I will give Buster credit though as he was on staff at Georgia for their last two champs, so he should understand how a championship organization works.
I want to make this very clear that he is not near the top of my list, but for all we know he could be the best hire or a total disaster. A lot can change in 10 years and he was hired by Kirby Smart as you acknowledged and is now OC at GT. I would want to see a few more years as a P5 OC before I considered him. In a few years if next coach leaves for whatever reason maybe give him a call. If he is successful at GT we may not be able to get him though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT