ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

He tied for 1st in 22 and tied for 2nd in 21. He's a lot more proven than Mack and has better energy. That's just my opinion. Like who you want but we already went with the quiet position coach from a SEC school and just got him out. I'd like to try a fresh HC who has recent experience as an HC which matters because of the portal and the NIL stuff. Scotty is young which is what we need. Again just IMO.
not ready just got best by nooga, I've seen him the lat 2 years. needs more seasoning, he is no better than Lamb that just got the ETSU job. Mack won 3 and a Natty at NCCU. Has helped turn around UT, say what you want. Mack is better at this. Who says Mack is quite? I know both of them, and Mack is more ready. At this stage you don't need to be the loudest in off field shenanigans, we don't need PJ clone. This hire is too important to just say a 2 HC at Peay is the best we can do.

Reactions: magaraider
Jerry Mack was 31-15 as a head coach at North Carolina Central....and 3-1 against their rival NC A&T

I just don't think Walden has proven enough. A few good years at an FCS school does not impress me.
thank you wiley, he will be ready in a few years. He still a Lil immature.

Scotty had one good year at an FCS school and doesn't have much of a pedigree. He is very young and very unproven. Sorry, not interested. We can do better.
Yeah, there is a lifetime position coach at one of the Carolina schools talking to massaro right now!

why did Mack leave NC Central? Based on his Wikipedia I don’t see much that gets me too excited. He better be a hell of a recruiter. But isn’t that what Stock was known for when he came here?

why did Mack leave NC Central? Based on his Wikipedia I don’t see much that gets me too excited. He better be a hell of a recruiter. But isn’t that what Stock was known for when he came here?
promises made and not kept. they trotted out a new stadium and plans for upgrades that never happened. So he left and went to Rice. Sounds familiar

Reactions: magaraider
You need to look at my previous post in this thread and click on the FAMU link in it. Click all three. Do some research.
I will bet you a steak dinner he will NEVER be the AD at Tulane.
I know what happened at FAMU, I know he is in the running and they love him at Tulane. No dog in the hunt I just know he is a candidate for the job.

thank you wiley, he will be ready in a few years. He still a Lil immature.
Mack had a few good years at a FCS and that impressed you. LOL. Winning at an HBCU isn't that big of a deal. APSU was a sh!t show due to Hudspeth's antics along with a freaking sink hole in their stadium. Each year, they have gotten better. They could have beaten MT with MT's former QB. Walden gets my vote but I'm sure we will get a carolina guy. I watched several APSU games and I really like their offense. Their OL blocking schemes were impressive. I'll try to drag up footage on Mack's HC work. Rice in 19 and 20 is not enough to impress me at all. At UT, he's just a RB coach. They were 13th in rushing this year but Mizzou beat the sh!t out of them and even MT held Mizzou to within 4 points. Not sold on that dude but whatever.

We'll see what South Carolina or Clemson reject will come out of the woodwork.

Mack had a few good years at a FCS and that impressed you. LOL. Winning at an HBCU isn't that big of a deal. APSU was a sh!t show due to Hudspeth's antics along with a freaking sink hole in their stadium. Each year, they have gotten better. They could have beaten MT with MT's former QB. Walden gets my vote but I'm sure we will get a carolina guy. I watched several APSU games and I really like their offense. Their OL blocking schemes were impressive. I'll try to drag up footage on Mack's HC work. Rice in 19 and 20 is not enough to impress me at all. At UT, he's just a RB coach. They were 13th in rushing this year but Mizzou beat the sh!t out of them and even MT held Mizzou to within 4 points. Not sold on that dude but whatever.

We'll see what South Carolina or Clemson reject will come out of the woodwork.
Massaro needs to treat this hire as if his own job depends on it.

Based on what I’m hearing my money is on Mack. And announcement might come sooner than expected.

Massaro needs to treat this hire as if his own job depends on it.
McPhee is setting Massaro adrift on an island to own this. When has he remained in the background or invisible altogether for a major announcement? If Massaro manages to hit what appears like a home run, then McPhee will be front and center.

1. There are so very few sure thing coaches in college football and we are not going to hire any of them. Any coach will have a pro/con or unknown.

2. We don’t know who said no thanks to the search firm when gauging interest. Walden, Diaz, and many others may have received initial feelers from the search firm and passed.

3. Both Walden and Mack provide interesting possibilities. Both of these candidates would give me hope for the future.

MT may now be like Vanderbilt, a place where coaches simply go to collect a relatively large sum of money for as long as they can. Any talented coach who wants to build a winning program and who has even just an ounce of wisdom would scoff at the idea of coming to MT as long as the establishment maintains their current death grip on the university. It'd be like moving into a house that is better suited to be razed than renovated. The establishment is destructive. Time to abolish it and replace it with something new. That requires the "influence" of wealthy alumni who are sports-minded. Not sure MT has that.

MT may now be like Vanderbilt, a place where coaches simply go to collect a relatively large sum of money for as long as they can. Any talented coach who wants to build a winning program and who has even just an ounce of wisdom would scoff at the idea of coming to MT as long as the establishment maintains their current death grip on the university. It'd be like moving into a house that is better suited to be razed than renovated. The establishment is destructive. Time to abolish it and replace it with something new. That requires the "influence" of wealthy alumni who are sports-minded. Not sure MT has that.
Nah, we have much better potential for winning seasons than Vandy, with the right leadership in place.

Reactions: ewglenn
WGNS sports podcast Monday November 27. Podcast is all about the firing. They bring in Chip for an interview with an obviously emotional Chris Massaro. As others have mentioned I strongly believe this was not Chris's decision, but something passed down from above him.

I don’t listen to sports talk anymore. I used to burn it up in the 90s and 2000s. But man I got a blast from the past when Eric called in at 43:50. Holy moly talk about a throwback. Haha. All we need is Kenny the mailman.

If you know you know.

Anyhow. Talk begins as 2 minute mark.

I’d take Scotty Walden all day.

Jon Burton and Greg Pogue talk the firing, Eddie George,,,

WGNS sports podcast Monday November 27. Podcast is all about the firing. They bring in Chip for an interview with an obviously emotional Chris Massaro. As others have mentioned I strongly believe this was not Chris's decision, but something passed down from above him.
I've kinda wondered that. I mean McP is absent from all of this. Very strange. When does he ever miss a press conference. Bahamas or not, it's too quiet.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Here's the Gannett grab bag of coaches (who's not on this???)

I had not thought about Muschamp, He was allegedly interested when Stock was hired. He's not too old that he would be a repeat, has excellent experience, etc, Diaz is still my 1 but I could get he's the one 50+ guy I could get behind.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
I've kinda wondered that. I mean McP is absent from all of this. Very strange. When does he ever miss a press conference. Bahamas or not, it's too quiet.

I really don't care. This was handled the way it was supposed to be done. McPhee shouldn't have been there, and I don't want him anywhere near this search. Just let Chris and the firm handle and sign off on whatever they come up with. Again, look at the BB hire, We could have had Odom. Thanks to McPhee we got McDevitt,

I can get behind a Mack hire (which would be number 2) but Walden would be my number 1. Here is his presser from NCCU if anyone is interested. Not bad imo.

I don’t know if this helps or hurts his case in your eyes, but Walden and his staff are close with many of the current MT staff members.

Austin Silvoy left MT to join Walden at Peay, if you’ll remember, and he wasn’t the only one Walden tried to poach.

I don’t know if this helps or hurts his case in your eyes, but Walden and his staff are close with many of the current MT staff members.

Austin Silvoy left MT to join Walden at Peay, if you’ll remember, and he wasn’t the only one Walden tried to poach.
As long as he isn’t married to them if they don’t perform to expectations idc personally. I’m sure we have some good staff but we need to adjust if they aren’t getting it done.

If the new Coach is coming in as a former coordinator he will have to assemble a completely new staff as compared to a prior head coach who may bring a lot of his existing staff with him.
Question is if you were a prior coordinator hired to be MT's new coach would you retain any of the old regime, & if so who would it be?
For a lot of his tenure here Shafer has been pretty good as our defensive coordinator. He may be the one I would try to keep while letting the rest go.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Question is if you were a prior coordinator hired to be MT's new coach would you retain any of the old regime, & if so who would it be?
A lot of WHO stays depends on WHO the new HC is.

But, to answer very broadly : Shafer and Brent are the MOST likely to stick around.

Reactions: MTLynn and Hop45
I don’t listen to sports talk anymore. I used to burn it up in the 90s and 2000s. But man I got a blast from the past when Eric called in at 43:50. Holy moly talk about a throwback. Haha. All we need is Kenny the mailman.

If you know you know.

Anyhow. Talk begins as 2 minute mark.

I’d take Scotty Walden all day.
I remember those guys...

This is why I want Manny. HC and retain defense responsibilities. What do we pay DC $300K+? Just give that cash to Manny and let him do his thing. I know many think it’s a long shot and maybe he feels he’s too good for us now but that to me is the home run hire. With every other name I’ve heard so far they all represent a shoulder shrug. Maybe they do big things. Maybe they crash and burn. Yes, it will be new but new isn’t necessarily exciting.or give me hope for the future. Those names it will be well I guess we’ll find out in a few years. After 18 years of ground hog day I want to be excited again about the future. I want to go big. So far only one name does that for me.

This is why I want Manny. HC and retain defense responsibilities. What do we pay DC $300K+? Just give that cash to Manny and let him do his thing. I know many think it’s a long shot and maybe he feels he’s too good for us now but that to me is the home run hire. With every other name I’ve heard so far they all represent a shoulder shrug. Maybe they do big things. Maybe they crash and burn. Yes, it will be new but new isn’t necessarily exciting.or give me hope for the future. Those names it will be well I guess we’ll find out in a few years. After 18 years of ground hog day I want to be excited again about the future. I want to go big. So far only one name does that for me.

Manny Diaz is not coming here. I really wish people would stop even entertaining the idea. It's not happening. I'll say this as nicely as I can but if you follow college sports and understand the hierarchy we are not taking a blue bloods OC or DC. He would probably even turn down a crappy P5 job, much less a bottom tier G5 program.

He's not coming here.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT