ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

Pete Shinnick

"As the head coach of West Florida, Shinnick won the school's first football national championship in 2019. The football team began play in 2016. 2017 He led the University of West Florida Argonauts to the NCAA Division II playoffs, making them the fastest team to do so (two years).[1] He broke the record he held at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, that being three years. On December 21, 2019, Shinnick won the NCAA D-II National Championship with the UWF Argos in just the program's 4th year of existence.[4]"

Pete Shinnick

"As the head coach of West Florida, Shinnick won the school's first football national championship in 2019. The football team began play in 2016. 2017 He led the University of West Florida Argonauts to the NCAA Division II playoffs, making them the fastest team to do so (two years).[1] He broke the record he held at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, that being three years. On December 21, 2019, Shinnick won the NCAA D-II National Championship with the UWF Argos in just the program's 4th year of existence.[4]"
Also another good option. He has done a lot with little.

No, I don't think so.

I would expect his impact to be comparable to that of Rick Insell or head softball coach Jeff Breeden
Speaking as someone that attends every Oakland game......

George Quarles just flamed out at ETSU and is regarded as one of the best HSFB coaches in the country. Trying to compare making the jump from HS to College in WBB and SB is apples to oranges. Would be perfectly fine with him being a position coach if the next HC wanted to make that move

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
Pete Shinnick

Looked at Shinnick's coaching record. Very impressive. Liked the fact he can overcome his year 1 struggles at a new program. Appears wherever he was at his year 2 always showed significant improvement. Looks like an excellent candidate.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
One thing with Joe Craddock is he was a Slappy Mac Recruit I believe, so though he played for Stock he is not a pure Stockstill Guy.

Speaking as someone that attends every Oakland game......

George Quarles just flamed out at ETSU and is regarded as one of the best HSFB coaches in the country. Trying to compare making the jump from HS to College in WBB and SB is apples to oranges. Would be perfectly fine with him being a position coach if the next HC wanted to make that move
The difference is that Maryville is a longtime power and Quarles jumped on that train.

Creasy built Trousdale County and Oakland into championship winners

There are couple of things that are probably just as important as who.

1. The new coach needs to be able to assemble a competent, competitive staff that can both recruit and coach X's and O's. That's the hardest part about this job at the non-power level - especially if you bring in a younger guy like Walden. The younger coaches don't have the built in rolodex just yet. That's a risk. But younger staffs recruit better than older ones and you can't win with worse talent (as we've seen).

2. Tiering the pay scale. This is what M&M messed up with McDevitt. The same salary shouldn't apply to someone like Diaz as it would Walden. For example, I would start with a Diaz type - offer in in the range of $1.5 to $1.7 with incentives that could get him to $2M. A guy like Walden or Simmons. Probably start them at $750-$800K with similar incentives that could get them up to $1M maybe $1.1M.

Can we afford a Diaz type like that? I think that's a good question. If it could be done I would take the chance. But if that type of hire isn't in play, I damn sure wouldn't pay these younger less experienced guys the same thing Stock was making. That doesn't make any sense to me. I hope we go after Diaz hard and make him say no. Or someone like him. I want to see us truly commit. Not low ball and hope it works out.

FYI Mack makes just $500k at UT. So if he wanted to be a HC coach again and stay in his home state, we could afford him.
Just listened to Blaine & Mickey 104.5. John Brice from Football Scoop reported MT job has very strong interest due to tremendous potential it has. 1st name he reported was Tony Mack saying that Mack who is Tennessee's top recruiter is strongly wanting the job, & wants to be a head coach again. Said Mack being from Memphis has very strong connections there. Also said Walden will be playing a role in the decision. Sounds like at this point those 2 may be among our strongest choices.

Just listened to Blaine & Mickey 104.5. John Brice from Football Scoop reported MT job has very strong interest due to tremendous potential it has. 1st name he reported was Tony Mack saying that Mack who is Tennessee's top recruiter is strongly wanting the job, & wants to be a head coach again. Said Mack being from Memphis has very strong connections there. Also said Walden will be playing a role in the decision. Sounds like at this point those 2 may be among our strongest choices.
I've got some family that are all in on the orange. Bleed it like I do blue and all have said Mack is a heck of a recruiter. There are some he's flipped from other schools, and even some he brought back in to the fold. I've watched some vids of his interviews and he is super personable. Add to that he's been a successful HC and he fits the bill.

Only question I have is how is he with donors and the community. Could he be the personality working hand in hand with Lee ro bridge that gap.

Coordinators will have a lot to do with it too.

But they are 100% right. There is huge potential for someone to come in and 100% put their stamp on it. Develop their own NIL group, have a say in future facilities planning like the IPF and even some of the SAPC. Great recruiting area, decent pay, etc. Not to mention honestly being in CUSA is probably a plus right now. It's not like we have a gauntlet conference schedule.

N
Correction, "Jerry Mack" not Tony.

Come on Walden. I just listened to an interview with him and watched a mic'd up video. He is what Massaro talked about. Big personality, relatable to fans, players and the young students. He has a lot of offensive knowledge. He turned Mike Dilelo into a good QB and the OL coach needs to come with him because that line can block. The blocking schemes were solid. He would be an upgrade in every sense. I want Walden now.

Our schedule the next two years finally is half way decent. Still play two power teams next year but open both years with FCS.

Next year
08/31 Tenn Tech
09/07 @ Ole Miss
09/21 Duke
09/28 @ Memphis

So either our bye is early or we'll have a conf match up 09/14. Plus WKU is home this year. That schedule and a new coach should equal some decent crowds. I'm tempted to get season tickets. I may have to start flying. Lol.

Come on Walden. I just listened to an interview with him and watched a mic'd up video. He is what Massaro talked about. Big personality, relatable to fans, players and the young students. He has a lot of offensive knowledge. He turned Mike Dilelo into a good QB and the OL coach needs to come with him because that line can block. The blocking schemes were solid. He would be an upgrade in every sense. I want Walden now.
I like Scotty, I think he needs another 2 years, you don't want this to be a Will Healy situation.

I like Scotty, I think he needs another 2 years, you don't want this to be a Will Healy situation.
He's a much better coach than healy. He's already coached 3 seasons and has finished 1st in their conference back to back years. Mack has about the same experience at NCCS and now is a position coach at UT. Scotty has the attitude and personality to motivate. Mack is more like Stock. Plus, he was the OC at Rice 2 years ago. No thank you. Walden's offense would run laps wround him.

If we hire Walden we may need to have some urgency. Traylor has been getting a lot of smoke to other places and I can see UTSA giving him the call.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
If we hire Walden we may need to have some urgency. Traylor has been getting a lot of smoke to other places and I can see UTSA giving him the call.
This is exactly what I'm saying. If I'm Massaro, I make that call today. Houston is going after Traylor hardcore.

The difference is that Maryville is a longtime power and Quarles jumped on that train.

Creasy built Trousdale County and Oakland into championship winners

George Quarles was the HC for 11 of Maryville's 17 titles with a record ilof 250-16. Like Creasy, he took a really good program and made them great.

Oakland had won 24 games the 2 previous seasons to his arrival. Trousdale had no problem with winning titles either. Creasy has done a phenomenal job at both. He's also been blessed with a decided advantage in talent and size, something he won't have at MT

Massaro cannot afford to roll the dice on a hire that will have a learning curve. He screws this one up, he'll be the next one to be shown the door

Reactions: Hop45
in 2 years, we wouldn't be able to afford him. I would much rather pull the trigger now. We are not a destination school. The up and comers is who we better go after.
APSU has only 1 title under Scotty, that was this year. EKU won it in 2022. I highly doubt Scotty is getting a call from UTSA, they will promote one of the Assistants to take over. This is by far the best year to have a coaching search, there aren't a bunch FBS jobs available, so you will get a great pool of candidates this time around. You can be patient with a 2nd year coach from Peay. Heck you don't like Mack because he was at Rice, don't forget Scotty was at USM and was 1-3 as the HC in that 3-7 season and OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
All I know is I got my wish, a new coach will be heading the program. I was completely ready to never set foot again in Floyd if Stockstill remained, whether or not Massaro and the Parker group screws this up, we probably won't know for a couple of years. This decision will define Massaro's remaining time here. Probably why nothing has been heard from McPhee.

All I know is I got my wish, a new coach will be heading the program. I was completely ready to never set foot again in Floyd if Stockstill remained, whether or not Massaro and the Parker group screws this up, we probably won't know for a couple of years. This decision will define Massaro's remaining time here. Probably why nothing has been heard from McPhee.
So True, either way this will be a deep pool of candidates, you can scratch Petrino off, Ark is trying to bring him back as OC.

John Brice also said an assistant coach out of the ACC but still getting details on that. Garrett Riley from Clemson? Has Carolina ties that Massaro requires being at Clemson.

Our AD has been here almost 20 years. Hope & pray he doesn't continue his good ole boy network of bringing in someone because it reminds him of home, but I wouldn't be surprised.

APSU has only 1 title under Scotty, that was this year. EKU won it in 2022. I highly doubt Scotty is getting a call from UTSA, they will promote one of the Assistants to take over. This is by far the best year to have a coaching search, there aren't a bunch FBS jobs available, so you will get a great pool of candidates this time around. You can be patient with a 2nd year coach from Peay. Heck you don't like Mack because he was at Rice, don't forget Scotty was at USM and was 1-3 as the HC in that 3-7 season and OC.
He tied for 1st in 22 and tied for 2nd in 21. He's a lot more proven than Mack and has better energy. That's just my opinion. Like who you want but we already went with the quiet position coach from a SEC school and just got him out. I'd like to try a fresh HC who has recent experience as an HC which matters because of the portal and the NIL stuff. Scotty is young which is what we need. Again just IMO.

Reactions: MTFAN61
He tied for 1st in 22 and tied for 2nd in 21. He's a lot more proven than Mack and has better energy. That's just my opinion. Like who you want but we already went with the quiet position coach from a SEC school and just got him out. I'd like to try a fresh HC who has recent experience as an HC which matters because of the portal and the NIL stuff. Scotty is young which is what we need. Agian just IMO.

Jerry Mack was a head coach for four years as well. Top to bottom, he is also more qualified.

Scotty had one good year at an FCS school and doesn't have much of a pedigree. He is very young and very unproven. Sorry, not interested. We can do better.

Jerry Mack was a head coach for four years as well. Top to bottom, he is also more qualified.

Scotty had one good year at an FCS school and doesn't have much of a pedigree. He is very young and very unproven. Sorry, not interested. We can do better.
Mack was extremely successful at NC Central. Another plus is he is currently with the orange. Say what you will but that honestly would bring some orange fans to at least check us out and then maybe we can build on that.

He has had a winning record every year he's been there and he had to clean up Mark Hudspeth's mess which was sizable. I want to know what better looks like.

Mack was extremely successful at NC Central. Another plus is he is currently with the orange. Say what you will but that honestly would bring some orange fans to at least check us out and then maybe we can build on that.
Mack hasn't been a HC in a while. That concerns me. He was Rice's OC and Associate HC in 2020. The historic quadruple doink. He was the Assistant HC of that squad. They were also the squad that beat an undefeated Marshall team too so there's that. I'm sot sold on Mack. That seems like the safe bet people would expect us to take. I don't see charisma nor energy from his interviews and high energy is what it will take to sell this thing to Rutherford county. Walden has that energy in spades. Again, my opinion. If Mack is hungry for the gig, it could be a good thing too. It's gonna be a tough hire.

Reactions: mtfblue
He has had a winning record every year he's been there and he had to clean up Mark Hudspeth's mess which was sizable. I want to know what better looks like.
Jerry Mack was 31-15 as a head coach at North Carolina Central....and 3-1 against their rival NC A&T

I just don't think Walden has proven enough. A few good years at an FCS school does not impress me.

Recommend Googling Vol Club Confidential: Jerry Mack, Episode 1 Season 2.
Also Scotty Walden: Inside the Headset
Compared to our previous coach love the fact either one can carry on a comfortable conversation.

Boots was hired to come here in '79 from Austin Peay. Let's do it again.
I have a good feeling about Scotty Walden.
Done great things at Austin Peay. Watched his team give Tennessee fits all day. Smart offense & well coached.
Would not be as expensive as some of the other options & with more youthful enthusiasm.

Loved the way Austin Peay had "615" on the side of their helmets when they played the Vols. I saw that and thought it was great branding.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
These high school names are reminding me of during the Search For Stock when the Nashville Media was trying to shove Gary Rankin on us.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT