ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

I found that interesting, too, and agree with you. Most searches are not “updated” officially midway.

I would guess this means - as talked about in the Lightning Lounge - that in-person interviews are about to begin and, as such, names could start leaking.

I will quadruple that. (is that the right term?)

This is the type of thing he did early in his tenure at MT with the engagement and outreach. Definitely appreciate that. And it's a smart move on his part - especially after the fake account caught fire today.

I will quadruple that. (is that the right term?)

This is the type of thing he did early in his tenure at MT with the engagement and outreach. Definitely appreciate that. And it's a smart move on his part - especially after the fake account caught fire today.
Is there smoke to that fake account fire? I think so. Whole thing is getting weird.

Last edited:
It's been confirmed that Massaro has talked to Banks twice in the last 24 hours. I think there is smoke but no hire has been made yet and probably won't until next week. There will be visits to the campus this weekend for sure.

I think we may end up with Banks or another DC which is the wrong move unless Banks brings Mack with him. If Banks brought in Mack as an OC, that would be a 2 for one kinda move. May be ok then but who knows.

It's been confirmed that Massaro has talked to Banks twice in the last 24 hours. I think there is smoke but no hire has been made yet and probably won't until next week. There will be visits to the campus this weekend for sure.

I think we may end up with Banks or another DC which is the wrong move unless Banks brings Mack with him. If Banks brought in Mack as an OC, that would be a 2 for one kinda move. May be ok then but who knows.
Why not Elarbee as OC/OL Coach?

Tim Banks has been kind of mediocre everywhere he has been. The resume is impressive but the results.....I don't know.

Honestly probably prefer the RB guy Jerry Mack over him, and he would be cheaper.

Guess we'll see.

Really feel like Tim Banks would be a mistake. Especially at the $$$ that's being reported.

If we really can pay 1.5 - 2 million then that changes a lot and opens up a lot of possibilities.

I thought for sure we would go cheap and pay $1 mil max.

I'm curious to see the $$$ for the assistant pool. If they can increase our funding there we might actually end up with a decent staff.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I just would prefer someone who has been a head coach before. And won there. Young snd hungry ones that want to move up the ranks. I think that should be requirement #1.

If no one that is that interviews well or seems a fit, then you go after power coordinators at programs that are winning. Young and hungry ones.

It seems that is the path they are taking.
This is my list of the latest rumors in order of preference.

Jerry Mack (currently at $500k)
Scotty Walden $270k
Blake Baker $1.1m
Glen Elarbee $900k
Tim Banks $1.5m

Honestly there's not much to Walden anymore and to me there is a drastic drop off to Banks. He may be OK depending on his coordinators. Elarbee of course knows us which is a plus, and even before the Stock regime.

Really feel like Tim Banks would be a mistake. Especially at the $$$ that's being reported.

If we really can pay 1.5 - 2 million then that changes a lot and opens up a lot of possibilities.

I thought for sure we would go cheap and pay $1 mil max.

I'm curious to see the $$$ for the assistant pool. If they can increase our funding there we might actually end up with a decent staff.
Agreed. If they have $2M to spend, that's a completely different pool of candidates. Banks would not be exciting if that is your salary range. Isn't that what Massaro said in the press conference? Someone that gets some excitement?

Might be random, but if they have $1.5-2M to spend, maybe they are waiting on Manny to see what he does first? If he doesn't get another job, maybe they think they can get him?

Don’t believe either UT coaches will generate the excitement needed with this hire. Gonna blow this opportunity

I know sometimes in the business world there can be paralysis by analysis, but I hope they're not just looking at resumes and records, but at motivations, desire to advance in their carrers or trying to escape a situation that might not be all that clear to observers....

Hope the decision makers do a deep dive if they are committing to paying 7 figures to a coach.

Don’t believe either UT coaches will generate the excitement needed with this hire. Gonna blow this opportunity
I think I’m on the other side of the fence. Here’s why :

1) they’ve rebuilt UT in 3 years (26-12) since Heupel
2) they’ve gotten to know a lot of the HS HC
3) they’ll help with the MT / UT crowd
I know sometimes in the business world there can be paralysis by analysis, but I hope they're not just looking at resumes and records, but at motivations, desire to advance in their carrers or trying to escape a situation that might not be all that clear to observers....

Hope the decision makers do a deep dive if they are committing to paying 7 figures to a coach.
Oh I get the concern there Space. We can judge the resume, the reports we read, etc, but the decision makers are the only ones who know the motivation, goals, etc

Tony Basilio of A to Z Sports reported 4 hours ago reported 1.5 million has been approved. Spoke about that for Tim Banks, but that's what he's making already.

jerry mack, anthony jones jr

Geezus. When I hoped for heading coaching experience, Cordova High School 6 years ago was NOT what I was thinking.

Rock N Roll Thumbs Down GIF by Zakk Wylde

Reactions: Hop45
If true, this is not swinging for the fences. More like sac bunt with 2 out. Hopefully just a smoke screen for true candidates

jerry mack, anthony jones jr

So, this is what I've heard too though I understand there may be one other. One word. Disappointing.

Just position coaches. Really sad we won't hire someone with more proven experience. We can. We just won't. Two reasons why this is. The university seems to only be able to hire people associated with the Carolinas or connection to Memphis (which is almost always not a positive) Second...

We all know the main reason. I'm going to say what no one else is willing to say. McPhee, with his biases (and we've all seen it before), wants a black coach. Now, the next thing I'm going to say is I don't I have a problem with that. What my problem is if this leadership is just trying to find the best black coach or the best coach. Pretty sure I know the answer.

Unfortunately, these two represent neither. In spite of his ties to CRS, I put Willie Simmons in a higher regard and both he and Alex Atkins are more proven, experienced coaches. My #1 was the longshot in Manny. My #2 would have been Liam Coen (and doubt we even reached out). My #3 would be either Simmons or Atkins. I also liked Baker once that named popped up. Could get behind that.

If it's down to these two it has to be Mack. At least some HC experience.

So, this is what I've heard too though I understand there may be one other. One word. Disappointing.

Just position coaches. Really sad we won't hire someone with more proven experience. We can. We just won't. Two reasons why this is. The university seems to only be able to hire people associated with the Carolinas or connection to Memphis (which is almost always not a positive) Second...

We all know the main reason. I'm going to say what no one else is willing to say. McPhee, with his biases (and we've all seen it before), wants a black coach. Now, the next thing I'm going to say is I don't I have a problem with that. What my problem is if this leadership is just trying to find the best black coach or the best coach. Pretty sure I know the answer.

Unfortunately, these two represent neither. In spite of his ties to CRS, I put Willie Simmons in a higher regard and both he and Alex Atkins are more proven, experienced coaches. My #1 was the longshot in Manny. My #2 would have been Liam Coen (and doubt we even reached out). My #3 would be either Simmons or Atkins. I also liked Baker once that named popped up. Could get behind that.

If it's down to these two it has to be Mack. At least some HC experience.
Mack is a great recruiter too. It has to be Mack. Better than Banks IMO.

Just read up on Atkins. I can get on board with him. OC at FSU, played/coached OLine (glaring weakness for us for years). I do like that Mack has HC experience. I'm good with either guy.

Mack is a great recruiter too. It has to be Mack. Better than Banks IMO.
Mack is 100% the choice in my book. I'll support whoever they hire fully, but I admit part of me will be disappointed if it's not him.

Just read up on Atkins. I can get on board with him. OC at FSU, played/coached OLine (glaring weakness for us for years). I do like that Banks has HC experience. I'm good with either guy.
I wouldn't mind Atkins and could even live with Elarbee or Baker. I'm assuming you meant Mack when you said Banks. Tim Banks doesn't have any HC experience.

We will see. I think we could do a lot worse than what's being floated out there.

The devil is going to be in the details, ie. what will the assistant pool funding be ?

We are about to find out just how committed this university is to football.

He's why I don't like hiring an unproven black coach. Analytics.

There are currently seven black coaches at G5 schools. Only one of the seven has a winning record. And that one is only 22-16 with no championships (Huff at Marshall).

If you go back another five years, the only black coach I can find that had a winning record at a G5 was Charlie Strong. I could have gotten behind Strong too. I think he would do well here. He already knows how to win having coached at Louisville and USF.

Anyway, I cant explain this, but fail rate of black coaches at G5 schools is like in the 90th percentile.

He's why I don't like hiring an unproven black coach. Analytics.

There are currently seven black coaches at G5 schools. Only one of the seven has a winning record. And that one is only 22-16 with no championships (Huff at Marshall).

If you go back another five years, the only black coach I can find that had a winning record at a G5 was Charlie Strong. I could have gotten behind Strong too. I think he would do well here. He already knows how to win having coached at Louisville and USF.

Anyway, I cant explain this, but fail rate of black coaches at G5 schools is like in the 90th percentile.

That's unfortunate and pretty sad. I wonder what some of the underlying factors might be that are preventing them from being successful. Obviously, their skin color isn't the problem. But something is definitely up because that is a decent sample size all things considered.

On Charlie Strong, maybe we can get him as defensive coordinator ? He's just doing the analyst thing at Alabama right now.

Reactions: subkyle
That's unfortunate and pretty sad. I wonder what some of the underlying factors might be that are preventing them from being successful. Obviously, their skin color isn't the problem. But something is definitely up because that is a decent sample size.

On Charlie Strong, maybe we can get him as defensive coordinator ? He's just doing the analyst thing at Alabama right now.
Hell yeah, get a HC like Mack, with hopefully a good OC, and bring in Strong as the DC. We might actually have something then.

Reactions: ewglenn
Fixed it for you.

I would be excited about Willie coming back. He's had sustained success at more than one program. And if guys recall, I really felt like it was his departure in that 2011 season that really caused Stock to lose the team. And the offense was clicking - we just had an awful defense that season. In fact, I thought play calling while he was running offense the first half of the season was some of the best I've seen at MT. I liked Willie and was disappointed with how things played. But he's obviously taken advantage of his second chance and become a true professional. Really impressed with what he's done.

Wiley, as for Strong maybe. Wonder if he even wants to be HC again?

Reactions: RaiderDeez
That's unfortunate and pretty sad. I wonder what some of the underlying factors might be that are preventing them from being successful. Obviously, their skin color isn't the problem. But something is definitely up because that is a decent sample size all things considered.

On this point, it would be an interesting study. I really don't know but have some theories.

First, the best coaches tend to go from OC or DC to head coach -regardless of race. Some take G5 jobs, succeed, and then get a P5 job, but generally most of the "top" coaches get their first head coaching gig at a P5 from another P5 coordinator position, so the better ones skip the G5 route. Like we may be experiencing you see coaches go straight from position coach to G5 head coach. They miss out on some of those experiences jumping straight into the CEO role (as HC) that are needed to truly understand how to oversee chief operating officer roles (i.e OC and DC). This is magnified for black coaches because they get fewer opportunities for those OC and DC positions than do white coaches. Just the unfortunate reality.

Second, I have to imagine there's a lot of psychology at play. An immense amount of pressure put on themselves knowing they are one of the handful of black coaches at the FBS level. And what that's like having to constantly feel like you have to prove yourself on the field, with boosters, with fans, with administration, etc. I think you put these two factors together and it's creates an environment that doesn't set these individuals for success.

And until that changes I don't think this is the route we should go, because the chances of success here without those experiences is pretty remote. This is why I like Willie over the others. He's already proven ability to lead and run a program.

On this point, it would be an interesting study. I really don't know but have some theories.

First, the best coaches tend to go from OC or DC to head coach -regardless of race. Some take G5 jobs, succeed, and then get a P5 job, but generally most of the "top" coaches get their first head coaching gig at a P5 from another P5 coordinator position, so the better ones skip the G5 route. Like we may be experiencing you see coaches go straight from position coach to G5 head coach. They miss out on some of those experiences jumping straight into the CEO role (as HC) that are needed to truly understand how to oversee chief operating officer roles (i.e OC and DC). This is magnified for black coaches because they get fewer opportunities for those OC and DC positions than do white coaches. Just the unfortunate reality.

Second, I have to imagine there's a lot of psychology at play. An immense amount of pressure put on themselves knowing they are one of the handful of black coaches at the FBS level. And what that's like having to constantly feel like you have to prove yourself on the field, with boosters, with fans, with administration, etc. I think you put these two factors together and it's creates an environment that doesn't set these individuals for success.

And until that changes I don't think this is the route we should go, because the chances of success here without those experiences is pretty remote. This is why I like Willie over the others. He's already proven ability to lead and run a program.

Jerry Mack does have some HC experience and was successful, albeit FCS. He was also 3-1 against their rival while there. Overall 31-15. I would imagine that's probably close to Willie's record

He was 21-11 at Prairie View. 43-13 at FAMU. 32-5 in conference.

.727 vs. .673

But the bigger point to that is he's been doing it consistently for longer.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

usually taking over crap programs.
Let's see the successful ones that have moved up as well. Most aren't given adequate funding and most aren't given a chance to be successful. Most black coaches have to be better than there white counterparts.
Strong
Babers
Sumlin
Taggart
Mack
McNeil
Norvell
Hazell

You brought up the failure rate of black coaches what is it for 1st or FCS white coaches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT