ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT not bowling got me thinking

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
What’s the pecking order of the best CUSA tie in bowls? In terms of rank and pedigree I mean

First off, the Conference USA champion will be in the mix for the Fiesta, Cotton, or Chik-fil-A Peach Bowl if it is the highest ranked Group of Five champion and if it’s not in the College Football Playoff.

Bahamas Bowl
Nassau, Bahamas vs MAC

Armed Forces Bowl
Fort Worth, Texas vs American

Been to this one MTSU vs. Navy in the eye gouging bowl. 😂

New Orleans Bowl
New Orleans, Louisiana vs Sun Belt

Been to this one when Dasher went wild on Fedora and Southern Miss.
The good old days before “The Contract”

New Mexico Bowl
Albuquerque, New Mexico vs Mountain West

Independence Bowl
Shreveport, Louisiana vs TBD

If CUSA has additional bowl eligible teams, there are also a number of bowls where CUSA teams can be selected as a secondary team:

Cure Bowl
Hawaii Bowl
Frisco Bowl
Boca Raton Bowl

Been to this one when Taywon Taylor and WKU tore up Memphis.

Prestige wise - I think the Indy bowl is tops on that list. Weird for Shreveport, but that's an old school bowl with a lot of history. It wasn't too long ago teams like Notre Dame, LSU, and Georgia were playing in that bowl.

After that, probably the New Orleans Bowl, which was pretty much one of the better G5 v G5 bowls.

Most of the others came about when bowl game #'s exploded, and they're just TV filler. There's certainly perks to the individual destinations (Hawaii, South Florida, Bahamas), but let's face it, the Cure bowl just doesn't have that Q rating that major bowls have.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
We only have 2 bowl eligible teams in Liberty and NMSU.
And only two more can even make it. WKU at 5-4 and FIU at 4-5.

There's a legit chance there won't even be enough bowl teams. Only 51 are currently eligible with 57 more possible. 82 are needed and alot of those possible play each other.

Pretty sure JMU gets the nod before any 5-7 teams (such a stupid rule) 🙄. If we were to finish 5-7 and somehow be offered, we better say no. I'm sorry but I don't even think a 6-6 team belongs in a post-season. APR or not a 5-7 team has zero business.

The new CUSA compared to the SunBelt. What a mess.

The new CUSA compared to the SunBelt. What a mess.
And they have 5 more teams that can get eligible. Meaning, counting JMU, the SBC could have as many as 12 of 14 teams bowling, or 86%.

CUSA, counting JSU, at most 5 of 9, or 56%.

What's crazy is CUSA is on track to have their best overall conference record in years. Since we've joined they have never had a winning record. But we currently sit at 41-44 .482, and have 11 Power teams scheduled with 0 wins right now.
2022 .475
2021 .472

For comparisons sake, the SBC is currently 71-55 with 19 Power teams scheduled and 4 wins so far.
MAC 56-64
MWC 55-54
AAC 55-66

. If we were to finish 5-7 and somehow be offered, we better say no. I'm sorry but I don't even think a 6-6 team belongs in a post-season. APR or not a 5-7 team has zero business.

For reference, we have plummeted in the APR the past 2 years. According to the sporting news, we are tied at 59 in the APR this year.

• Wow
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
That was one thing I always applauded Stock for. Add that to the list of reasons now to move on.
The last couple of years of desperation for West at Memphis had him wearing out the junior colleges and even signing a defensive end from Memphis Ridgeway who had to teach himself to read. He could not read on a first grade level when he got to The Univ. of Memphis.
Tiger Football APR dropped from 955 to 932 in West’s last 4 years.

Link: “Dasmine Cathey”

Last edited:
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT