ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Where does the MT HC job stack up in CUSA?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Hiring Mason got me thinking…What is the quality of job compared to the other conference teams? I suppose it’s a loaded question when you have to consider facilities, location and recruiting base…

Well, Liberty and their massive resources would have to be #1. And not even close.

After that, it's tough, because, really, how many of us know what facilites are like? I do think we can look at things like budget to get an idea and recruiting territory as well.

But after Liberty, i'd probably rank them.

2. MT - historically, we have some money relative to peers, great location for recruits, we're finally investing in facilities and running the program like it should. If we can get some fans back, the sky's the limit (or at least till we bump into Liberty).

3. FIU - should be better than they are and I could have ranked them #2, but they have terrible history. Most fertile recruiting area in the conference. No support. Good academics.

4. WKU - good facilities, good history, well run program with support, but recruiting is always going to be tougher here than places above.

5. SHSU: No idea, but they had some success as a FCSer, Texas schools always have potential. But at some point, are there too many Texas schools?

6. Delaware: Good Success at FCS, good fan base, good academics. Tough to recruit to Delaware.

7. Kennesaw - great location, but just getting off the ground. Potential here though as sort of MTSU's suburban Atlanta counterpart.

8. Jacksonville State: Solid program with some support, should have good recruiting base, not sure how much money is around for another Alabama football program.

9. La Tech - good recruiting area, school has history, but Louisiana schools not named LSU are broke.

10. UTEP: EL Paso's got probs, Texas school, but too far away from the recruits, what does it have?

11. NMSU: All credit to Jerry Kill for what they did this year, but this has got to be one of the 5 toughest jobs in college football?

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I'd rank it much lower because we stuck with stockstill so long with absolutely no results that make people sit up and take notice. MT in the midstate attention wise has been a cypher so long. Massaro, McPhee, and Smith sat on their butts with facilities and changing coaches for so long it almost killed off the fan base. A lot of work has to be done to get it into the top two or three.

When compared to their own conference, Middle is a top 3 job. But compared to say the Sun Belt? Not sure it would be considered the top half of the league. Pretty ironic

I think this question will be more apt in the next 2-3 years. By then CDM should be much more established & many of the facility upgrades will start paying dividends. Hopefully by then MT will be in a prime spot to compete with Liberty for the conferences top coaching position.

Once the SAPC is built and they start on the IPF, this will be no.2 easily. Liberty will always be no.1 because they have P5 type money. Right now, we are on the bottom.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I agree... In a few years and our facilities are all upgraded, then we will get a hard look at where we're out. But I like what I'm seeing so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT