ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MT Developing A BS Degree In Fermentation

Good move.

Small and craft breweries are all the rage these days. They seem to be popping up everywhere, with little homebrewed tap-rooms and they bring in a food truck and then they print cash.

Knoxville and Asheville have gone from like 2 to like 20 in the last 5 years.

I took a tour of Highland Brewing in Asheville this summer. The guy was pretty blunt- come up with a recipe and a funny name for the beer, and someone will buy it.

Not a day goes by that something neat doesn't come up about MT that makes me proud, yet here in Knoxville, all I hear about is how UTk needs more $$$$'s to do something MT is doing better for half the price.

It is a neat concept but I have become more critical at non "professional" degrees. If it attracts students and furthers the science of brewing, then I guess that is ok. I am just having a hard time understanding this being a university program vs a "technical skill" offered at Nashville State Tech. But then again, "who am I..."

Does this program take away from other programs $$$ that has more of an impact.

my 2 cents.

It is a neat concept but I have become more critical at non "professional" degrees. If it attracts students and furthers the science of brewing, then I guess that is ok. I am just having a hard time understanding this being a university program vs a "technical skill" offered at Nashville State Tech. But then again, "who am I..."

my 2 cents.

Yours is only worth 1 cent if you have a "Non-Professional" degree.

my 2 cents.

FYI, there is no Nashville State Tech. There is a Nashville State Community College and a Tennessee College of Applied Technology Nashville (formerly Tennessee Technology Center Nashville).

This is such a smart move. App State has developed a program like this and so has Auburn. It is a booming business and will attract students to MT. The number of breweries has tripled in the past 15 years and has grown 40x larger than 1985. Plus craft breweries saw a 13% growth in 2015.

Add to that distilleries, wine product, food production, industrial fermentation, and chemical/bio-engineering aspect of fermentation, this is an excellent and its a growing job market.

This is a great decision - I hope the state board allows it.

This is a great idea. Hopefully we can have a future alum create a huge craft winner and donate large $$ back to the university. Or even better, the university could make a craft brew and sell it in the area.

I love beer but the phrase "craft beer" is a bit too hipster for me. Especially when the definition of craft beer seems to be open to interpretation.

All I know is when I went to St. Louis MO last year, old BUD tasted good fresh from the factory.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I love beer but the phrase "craft beer" is a bit too hipster for me. Especially when the definition of craft beer seems to be open to interpretation.

All I know is when I went to St. Louis MO last year, old BUD tasted good fresh from the factory.

That's the great thing about beer, a different flavor for every taste. For an avid home brewer like me, I'm more interested in tasting a variety of different beers. Craft or whatever you call it, beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy!

mmm... kimchi...

8bc0f1d691aa1471c12280f2926f7ee1.jpg

Reactions: MT Glenn
Most comments posted here seem to focus on the fermentation of spirits.... There are also many other facets of fermentation: cheese, yogurt, kraut, hot sauce just to name a few... If this program garners a similar prestige nationwide as the Concrete program, Aerospace, or RIM, I am all for it's implementation.

This is a great idea. Hopefully we can have a future alum create a huge craft winner and donate large $$ back to the university. Or even better, the university could make a craft brew and sell it in the area.
I have heard of several but only one I know personally. Ed Avery, Sigma Chi 86(?) began and sold High Cotton in Memphis...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT