ADVERTISEMENT

BlueRaiderPod's Upcoming Interview with AD Chris Massaro

jakeboldenbrp

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2024
Shelbyville, TN
Exciting episode coming on January 16th. Ahead of recording on the 11th I'd love to hear some questions from the boards!

I'm sure there is lots you want to ask, but let's keep positive as it is apparent the administration is seeking more fan engagement and approval!

Here's one. As we head in to conference play with a losing record.

He mentioned when firing Stock that he judges success on conference record.
Does he use that same guage for basketball? If so, what are his expectations, and demands, this year with what our out of conference record is?

You can be cordial, but ask challenging questions. Please ask challenging journalist questions. For the love of god please make him ask at least a few challenging questions for once his tenure.
  1. What are the expectations and requirements for a HC performance-wise? Specifically basketball
  2. When does CNM’s current contract expire?
  3. Why does the athletic department continue to use the Pegasus- MT logo when the fanbase universally hated having lightening in it?
  4. CM said he assessed Stockstill based on conference record. He said that was the metric he used to assess coaches. While in the SB, and now CUSA, we have played in the lowest rated conference in FBS with numerous terrible programs. A very mediocre coach could win .500 against really bad conference teams. Why does CM not have higher standards given the weakness of our conference?
  5. Yes or no, does he think he is doing a good job as athletic director? Many fans think it’s time form him to leave and let Lee, Hans or someone else lead the program. What does he say to those passionate fans that love MT and want what’s best for the program, that think he doesn’t have high enough standards?
  6. To many fans, hiring Jerry Meyer as the HC baseball coach looked like the easy hire opposed to completing a real national search for the best coach. Meyer had a losing record as interim HC and was not really successful at ODU, what made CM think he was the best man to get MT back in the NCAA tournament?
  7. What was the rationale in our seemingly very poor scheduling in baseball?
  8. MT is currently asking for donations after CDM’s hire. There is excitement given the change in coach and CDM doing simple things that happens at other schools. Given the excitement for just doing the basic thing and that MT football were allowed to stop doing those basic things under CM’s watch, what does that say about CM’s leadership and why should we trust you?
  9. When will the football schedule be announced? Who are our 4 home CUSA opponents?
  10. Why didn’t MT announce CRS’s contract adjustment? If CNM’s contract is now past 2024 as well, why does MT not announce these updates / contract changes like other schools do? How does he think the lack of transparency affects trust / mistrust with the fanbase?
  11. Why do the coach shows refuse to take live calls? It comes across as cowardice in your decisions. If Dabo can take calls and Jimbo can take calls, then how hard is it for a coach that will make millions at MT to take calls, even if challenging?
  12. Stability in athletics can be a good thing, but staying too long in the same position can breed complacency and stagnation. How does he know that hasnt happened with him and when will he know it’s time to go?
  13. Why did the athletic department ask for deposits on football season tickets without stating what the actual final price would be (this isn’t normal behavior)? How much will season football tickets cost for 2024?

Exciting episode coming on January 16th. Ahead of recording on the 11th I'd love to hear some questions from the boards!

I'm sure there is lots you want to ask, but let's keep positive as it is apparent the administration is seeking more fan engagement and approval!

You can be cordial, but ask challenging questions. Please ask challenging journalist questions. For the love of god please make him ask at least a few challenging questions for once his tenure.
  1. What are the expectations and requirements for a HC performance-wise? Specifically basketball
  2. When does CNM’s current contract expire?
  3. Why does the athletic department continue to use the Pegasus- MT logo when the fanbase universally hated having lightening in it?
  4. CM said he assessed Stockstill based on conference record. He said that was the metric he used to assess coaches. While in the SB, and now CUSA, we have played in the lowest rated conference in FBS with numerous terrible programs. A very mediocre coach could win .500 against really bad conference teams. Why does CM not have higher standards given the weakness of our conference?
  5. Yes or no, does he think he is doing a good job as athletic director? Many fans think it’s time form him to leave and let Lee, Hans or someone else lead the program. What does he say to those passionate fans that love MT and want what’s best for the program, that think he doesn’t have high enough standards?
  6. To many fans, hiring Jerry Meyer as the HC baseball coach looked like the easy hire opposed to completing a real national search for the best coach. Meyer had a losing record as interim HC and was not really successful at ODU, what made CM think he was the best man to get MT back in the NCAA tournament?
  7. What was the rationale in our seemingly very poor scheduling in baseball?
  8. MT is currently asking for donations after CDM’s hire. There is excitement given the change in coach and CDM doing simple things that happens at other schools. Given the excitement for just doing the basic thing and that MT football were allowed to stop doing those basic things under CM’s watch, what does that say about CM’s leadership and why should we trust you?
  9. When will the football schedule be announced? Who are our 4 home CUSA opponents?
  10. Why didn’t MT announce CRS’s contract adjustment? If CNM’s contract is now past 2024 as well, why does MT not announce these updates / contract changes like other schools do? How does he think the lack of transparency affects trust / mistrust with the fanbase?
  11. Why do the coach shows refuse to take live calls? It comes across as cowardice in your decisions. If Dabo can take calls and Jimbo can take calls, then how hard is it for a coach that will make millions at MT to take calls, even if challenging?
  12. Stability in athletics can be a good thing, but staying too long in the same position can breed complacency and stagnation. How does he know that hasnt happened with him and when will he know it’s time to go?
  13. Why did the athletic department ask for deposits on football season tickets without stating what the actual final price would be (this isn’t normal behavior)? How much will season football tickets cost for 2024?
All great questions. No disrespect, but I'm primarily anticipating a discussion on how pleased the athletic department is with Build Blue's ongoing growth, & how the administration & CDM are pleasantly adapting to each other here. I would be surprised if anything of a possibly sensitive nature to him will be touched upon in a public forum at this time.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
All great questions. No disrespect, but I'm primarily anticipating a discussion on how pleased the athletic department is with Build Blue's ongoing growth, & how the administration & CDM are pleasantly adapting to each other here. I would be surprised if anything of a possibly sensitive nature to him will be touched upon in a public forum at this time.
I know. One could hope just one time he has to face something remotely challenging outside of someone from this site.

Does the administration truly realize this is a turning point for MTSU football? I mean a huge moment in where a nice corner Weigel’s just won’t move the needle. This university needs the
Buc-ee’s rolled out!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Honestly, I have no desire to listen to more softball questions (and the same old tired CM answers) lobbed from another brand new social media startup wanting access.
Adam Sparks was the last guy who questioned and wrote about the good, the bad and the ugly. Even better, he is an MTSU alum. As the Vols beat writer for the KNS, his coverage at UTK during the Jeremy Pruitt mess was stellar and he pulled no punches.

Over 4 years ago, when I wanted answers about where the program was headed before I would get involved again, I went straight to CM and had a one on one meeting at McAlister’s on Memorial. At that time, he assured me changes were coming.

Yet here we are………..,..in 2024 drawing 700 folks for a basketball game. Good luck with your podcast. I’m gonna get my basketball fix this season on Belmont Blvd.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRaiderDave

You get fan engagement and approval with results and transparency. For years we’ve had neither.

Ignoring warts just makes them spread.

I appreciate (some of) the enthusiasm around the upcoming interview. To be honest, nothing turns me off of a thread more than being told to ask hard questions, and in turn being given no questions to ask. That is the basis of this thread.

Allow me to lay some ground rules, and introduce my aspirations because it sounds like some haven't even turned on the show and assuming I'm eating what the department has been cooking for the last 20 years:

Here is also a reality check for some (no one in particular, but if the shoe fits...), it is unprofessional and inappropriate to have a guest on and ask them when someone is going to be fired. That is another persons' livelihood and job at hand. He is not, nor would I expect him to lay the guidelines for a specific individual to keep or lose his/her job.

We all want answers! If you listen to my podcast, I said DAY 1(!!!) that I am doing this project to be a voice for the fans. I am blessed with the opportunity to sit down with Massaro on his inquiry. I didn't think it was worth asking because I assumed he would say no. I'll give him credit for wanting to come on. Why would I jeopardize my young show with a 30 minute monologue berating the athletic director? Easily the quickest way to end all opportunities of speaking with anyone affiliated with MTSU. By the sounds of it, you would want me to continue interviewing people from within.

I'm asking for cool-headed, productive conversation. I don't have the rapport with Massaro to undermine him the first 30 minutes we've ever spoken to each other, and if you think you'd have the guts to do it yourself, kudos to you. I have a brand I'm trying to build and I'm not going to let emotion squander a huge opportunity in my 6th episode.

A couple more that are informing to the fan base:

Spring game - has a date been set for that? Are there any activities for fans/families to go along with that?

Facility update - Timeline? Is the Murphy Center plans now fully funded? The IPF - will that have plans for indoor track?

I appreciate (some of) the enthusiasm around the upcoming interview. To be honest, nothing turns me off of a thread more than being told to ask hard questions, and in turn being given no questions to ask. That is the basis of this thread.

Allow me to lay some ground rules, and introduce my aspirations because it sounds like some haven't even turned on the show and assuming I'm eating what the department has been cooking for the last 20 years:

Here is also a reality check for some (no one in particular, but if the shoe fits...), it is unprofessional and inappropriate to have a guest on and ask them when someone is going to be fired. That is another persons' livelihood and job at hand. He is not, nor would I expect him to lay the guidelines for a specific individual to keep or lose his/her job.

We all want answers! If you listen to my podcast, I said DAY 1(!!!) that I am doing this project to be a voice for the fans. I am blessed with the opportunity to sit down with Massaro on his inquiry. I didn't think it was worth asking because I assumed he would say no. I'll give him credit for wanting to come on. Why would I jeopardize my young show with a 30 minute monologue berating the athletic director? Easily the quickest way to end all opportunities of speaking with anyone affiliated with MTSU. By the sounds of it, you would want me to continue interviewing people from within.

I'm asking for cool-headed, productive conversation. I don't have the rapport with Massaro to undermine him the first 30 minutes we've ever spoken to each other, and if you think you'd have the guts to do it yourself, kudos to you. I have a brand I'm trying to build and I'm not going to let emotion squander a huge opportunity in my 6th episode.

I appreciate the response. I think you can have a cordial conversation and not just be an extension of the athletic department. I believe there are ways of wording questions that can be respectful and have him acknowledge/address concerns. Mark, Chip and Sam plus Cecil et al. never ask him to even address the half of fans with concerns about leadership, transparency or standards.

You don’t have to attack a person to ask them how would you respond to fans who have concerns about XYZ?

I look forward to hearing how you choose to handle it as the voice of the fan. I liked the first few episodes.

That's fair, but you absolutely also have to address the elephant in the room, which is disenfranchisement with the alumni and fan base. And there is a way to ask hard questions respectfully without going all Jim Rome on him and it do it with objectivity and integrity. Honestly, do I think he gets that? Yes, because otherwise he wouldn't talk about how he needed to hire a coach who has the skillsets he doesn't to engage the fanbase.

If he doesn't come back on your show, because you respectfully ask hard questions then frankly that's an indictment on him not you. Be objective, respectful, and welcoming, but don't shy away from the core questions that currently haven't been answered for years because of the lack of transparency under his and McPhee's leadership. If you were to re-frame the questions in a more respectful and objective manner just about every question sans maybe #5 in Brew Raider's list should be on the table.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

All good points. I admit I fall in that category. While the first part of my question posted is in the realm of ok, asking what his expectations are for MBB this season is not, as it does set him up in a perilous situation if McD doesn't meet those. Remember the whole Iowa OC Ferentz contract mess...

There is a reason I'm not an AD. I demand perfection. I'm the kind that got pissed yesterday when Aubrey missed a FG in the Cowboys game and his perfect season was done. I viewed the whole season as a waste. I am way too hard on myself and others. If I stub my toe, I feel my whole day is ruined and I have to start over. I have a quote from Vince Lombardi in my office to remind me life isn't really that way. "Perfection is not attainable, but if we strive for perfection, we can capture excellence."

The issue is we all want perfection. Nothing but 12-0 seasons where the opponent never scores a point. But realistically we all know that won't happen. Deep down we know. Like Jake Rose said on ep. 2, fan stands for fanatic. We are fanatics and want to excell and get frustrated when we don't. In reality we don't know behind the scenes. Should CM share more, absolutely. Should he share everything, absolutely not. I respect your position in it being hard to find that balance in your questions.

You and I unfortunately have a generational difference. Many alums (several in here) who are my age have waited for years for M&M to get this program to a level it deserves to be and should be. In my personal situation, it’s been over 20 years since I met with the late Dr. Troy Festervand who welcomed me with open arms into his MBA program. I’ve never forgotten that meeting with him and he was the one who got me involved with Roy Mewbourne, Alan Farley and the BRAA. I jumped in with both feet, financially and with my time.

And for the record, I have asked tough questions to CM’s face in 2014 when he drove to my office in Franklin to explain/defend “the Contract” and also his “vetting” of the Tommy West hire (knowing my Memphis background).
Why? Because I knew I was right about what to expect from Stock after they gave him a “golden parachute”. A previous Blue Raider forum actually banned me for predicting it. That forum is no longer with us. 😂😂

I raised more tough questions again 5 years later in a meeting that I previously posted about in this thread regarding what Brock did on social media (during the season) and CNM’s horrible brand of basketball. The changes CM promised were hollow and never came. In his defense, I think CM has been running the Dept. with SM looking over his shoulder for several years.

Watching our peer FBS programs like UAB, UTSA, Charlotte, James Madison, and Liberty run circles around us is heartbreaking given the amount time and money I personally put into this athletic program for almost 9 years during the short time I had been an “active“ Blue Raider alum.

I wish you well but I won’t be listening to you give CM an opportunity to wax poetic the same lip service I’ve heard before without him being called on it. I still don’t see anything changing in my lifetime.

Last edited:

While I get what you are saying.... welcome to life and reality. We are the people you want to listen to your stuff so if we tell you what what we want, you can either get your feathers bent and ignore us and do your own thing OR listen to the overwhelming feedback being given and go with the flow of the river and build your following into a successful entity. It's not personal. You have to understand that we've listened to 20 years of double talk drivel from "pros". It's totally ok to have a hotseat segment of the interview and lightly grill his ass. He's been in the job for 20 years and is a public employee. He's not gonna start crying and you don't have to be offensive either.

I'm sure you have a plan so you will do fine. However, we are merely saying that you will get one listen from us by doing the same ol thing as others have done. I'm sure you know this. Just stating the obvious. I believe all of us here want you to be highly successful with this and want some good BR intel and insight. We are rooting for you. I know I am.

As far as questions from me.
-------------------------------------------------------------

With the unexpected firing of Stock given conference performance, does this set a new standard for all of MT athletics?

When is the spring game and what are all of the events planned?

What will be Mason's and your gameplan in terms of engaging the students on campus to attend games?

Is there a new jumbotron coming and what's the timeline?

IPF! We need it. What's the plan? Is it next after the SAPC?

Will there be a change in vendors at the games and will there be more options of purchasing merch and food at ALL 4 corners of the stadium along with the side sections?

Is there an actual timeline of the SAPC building and with the 24 recruiting season lean in heavily to that building being ready for use in spring or fall of 25?

Why is he not been offered or agreed to a new contract? Why is he month to month?

How much did McPhee involve himself in Mason's hiring and who iniated the coaching change?

When will the new schedule be out?

Is CNM on the hotseat or given the conference performance record was a factor in the CFB HC change, does that factor into Men's BB as well.

Other schools typically rebrand or update their logo every 10 years, will their be an opportinity to update ours sans the my little pony? Has Massaro ever fielded the logo or mascot change question himself over the last 20 years and does he himself think that there is a branding problem. Is it all in the fan's brain?

I could go on but I have to get some work done. :) Good luck and I hope it's good in depth podcast with some grill marks applied to his cheap suit. LOL.

Respectful but insightful questions I would ask:

Have we seen an increase in season tickets for football?

Where are we on funding for phase 2 of Build Blue?

What is the official capacity of Floyd going to be once renovations are complete?

When are we expecting to have a new video board in Floyd?

When does Nick’s current contract expire?

What can we expect from the spring game?

Outside of BuildBlueNow, what are some other ways we are improving our student athletes quality of life at MT?

Do we have NIL opportunities outside of apparel for our student athletes. Is there a timeline of when we could possibly have a collective?

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
While I get what you are saying.... welcome to life and reality. We are the people you want to listen to your stuff so if we tell you what what we want, you can either get your feathers bent and ignore us and do your own thing OR listen to the overwhelming feedback being given and go with the flow of the river and build your following into a successful entity. It's not personal. You have to understand that we've listened to 20 years of double talk drivel from "pros". It's totally ok to have a hotseat segment of the interview and lightly grill his ass. He's been in the job for 20 years and is a public employee. He's not gonna start crying and you don't have to be offensive either.

I'm sure you have a plan so you will do fine. However, we are merely saying that you will get one listen from us by doing the same ol thing as others have done. I'm sure you know this. Just stating the obvious. I believe all of us here want you to be highly successful with this and want some good BR intel and insight. We are rooting for you. I know I am.

As far as questions from me.
-------------------------------------------------------------

With the unexpected firing of Stock given conference performance, does this set a new standard for all of MT athletics?

When is the spring game and what are all of the events planned?

What will be Mason's and your gameplan in terms of engaging the students on campus to attend games?

Is there a new jumbotron coming and what's the timeline?

IPF! We need it. What's the plan? Is it next after the SAPC?

Will there be a change in vendors at the games and will there be more options of purchasing merch and food at ALL 4 corners of the stadium along with the side sections?

Is there an actual timeline of the SAPC building and with the 24 recruiting season lean in heavily to that building being ready for use in spring or fall of 25?

Why is he not been offered or agreed to a new contract? Why is he month to month?

How much did McPhee involve himself in Mason's hiring and who iniated the coaching change?

When will the new schedule be out?

Is CNM on the hotseat or given the conference performance record was a factor in the CFB HC change, does that factor into Men's BB as well.

Other schools typically rebrand or update their logo every 10 years, will their be an opportinity to update ours sans the my little pony? Has Massaro ever fielded the logo or mascot change question himself over the last 20 years and does he himself think that there is a branding problem. Is it all in the fan's brain?

I could go on but I have to get some work done. :) Good luck and I hope it's good in depth podcast with some grill marks applied to his cheap suit. LOL.
I appreciate an honest, respectful perspective! Lots of great questions that can be both constructive and critical.

However, l “get my feathers bent” when your (not you specifically) expectation is for me to go on and say “WhY hAvEn’T yOu FiReD McDeViTt YeT!?”

That gets the conversation no where, and will lead to no “tough questions” ever again.

Stepping in for a second :

I don't think you can ask the "when is MCD going to be fired" & expect a straightforward response or even “he’s gonna be fired right after I get off this podcast.”

If you ask CM, Lee, or any other senior athletic official, they’re gonna toe the line & give some sort of response on the record.

Asking tough questions doesn’t mean asking when someone is going to be fired. That’s just a recipe for disaster. Asking tough questions means asking “In your press conference announcing Stock’s termination, you mentioned high expectations for MT coaches. Could you elaborate on what those expectations are?“

That question is more opened ended & can set up additional questions / conversations about how MT community needs to rally / unite for NIL, cooperative, attendance, & recruiting (among other things).

You and I unfortunately have a generational difference. Many alums (several in here) who are my age have waited for years for M&M to get this program to a level it deserves to be and should be. In my personal situation, it’s been over 20 years since I met with the late Dr. Troy Festervand who welcomed me with open arms into his MBA program. I’ve never forgotten that meeting with him and he was the one who got me involved with Roy Mewbourne, Alan Farley and the BRAA. I jumped in with both feet, financially and with my time.

And for the record, I have asked tough questions to CM’s face in 2014 when he drove to my office in Franklin to explain/defend “the Contract” and also his “vetting” of the Tommy West hire (knowing my Memphis background).
Why? Because I knew I was right about what to expect from Stock after they gave him a “golden parachute”. A previous Blue Raider forum actually banned me for predicting it. That forum is no longer with us. 😂😂

I raised more tough questions again 5 years later in a meeting that I previously posted about in this thread regarding what Brock did on social media (during the season) and CNM’s horrible brand of basketball. The changes CM promised were hollow and never came. In his defense, I think CM has been running the Dept. with SM looking over his shoulder for several years.

Watching our peer FBS programs like UAB, UTSA, Charlotte, James Madison, and Liberty run circles around us is heartbreaking given the amount time and money I personally put into this athletic program for almost 9 years during the short time I had been an “active“ Blue Raider alum.

I wish you well but I won’t be listening to you give CM an opportunity to wax poetic the same lip service I’ve heard before without him being called on it. I still don’t see anything changing in my lifetime.
If you’re not going to listen to my show, why engage with this thread and be disrespectful towards me?

Genuinely, what are wanting to hear from the interview? What answers would change your outlook and revert you back to the excitement you had 20 years ago?

If it’s something outlandish, then my follow up is why are you still here?

If you want him to say we will win a CUSA Football Champ in 5 years and win a MBB NCAAT bid. That’s just BS and we both know it. I want to know if he’s doing everything he possibly can to make those programs attain that. At the end of the day, if he’s not, then at least I’ve made him audibly answer those questions.

I’m not going to be disrespectful, not in my morals to do so. He’s still a human. But he makes enough of my tax-funded money to have a cordial, critical conversation about my/our shared concerns.

I’d bet you a view you’ll listen on the 16th 😉

Stepping in for a second :

I don't think you can ask the "when is MCD going to be fired" & expect a straightforward response or even “he’s gonna be fired right after I get off this podcast.”

If you ask CM, Lee, or any other senior athletic official, they’re gonna toe the line & give some sort of response on the record.

Asking tough questions doesn’t mean asking when someone is going to be fired. That’s just a recipe for disaster. Asking tough questions means asking “In your press conference announcing Stock’s termination, you mentioned high expectations for MT coaches. Could you elaborate on what those expectations are?“

That question is more opened ended & can set up additional questions / conversations about how MT community needs to rally / unite for NIL, cooperative, attendance, & recruiting (among other things).
Perfect phrasing for a great question. Removes any aspect of being callous in regards to a coaches future employment. Allows for specifics without specific finger pointing.

I’m bailing from this thread and your show. You come on here asking for questions and then criticize what people recommend you ask. That’s weak ass stuff. Just say thank you and move on. Or don’t ask us.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Massaro is clearly just a puppet at this point. McPhee and Steve Smith are 100% running (ruining) the show here.

Here's my question for Massaro:

Why in the world are you still working for these clowns on a month-to-month basis, while being completely hamstrung with every important decision that has to be made? That's wildly unfair to you.

At this point I feel sorry for the guy. Hopefully he can find a better gig elsewhere. Probably just sticking it out for the Tennessee retirement at this point.

Last edited:
I’m bailing from this thread and your show. You come on here asking for questions and then criticize what people recommend you ask. That’s weak ass stuff. Just say thank you and move on. Or don’t ask us.
He asked for opinions and then gave his. He has every right to be critical of questions as you have to be critical of his response. After a few interviews he may gain the ability to ask tougher questions. Give him a chance. If you want tougher questions asked start a podcast, secure the interview, and then ask them yourself.

Well here we are again. Every time people make a statement it’s criticized and people take their ball and go home. He asked for questions and did not like some of them. I have listened to every pod cast. I appreciate the effort to promote the brand. Everyone needs to take a breath and engage or don’t.

How do you grade your coaches year to year?

Why is the ticketing office asking for down payments on football season tickets? How does this help get MT to a football conference championship?

I will not pose a basketball question. BTW even if we slow down the basketball game because we have zero offense we will still end up with the L. Bad coach and team. The portal may have changed the game but a coach does not have time to figure it out. They either understand the portal and win or you move on. Like every other college. If an ad continues to make bad hires then the program has zero fans.

Merchandising!

I’ve noticed Mason sporting somr new apparel in his appearances. Any chance the fans can buy some of those?
On that note, Chelsea has said they will have his Middle Tennessee sideline text hat available around May. I called her out early on over on X for that and she came through 100%. From what I've seen his vest will be available too as that is a CDM staple.

Perfect phrasing for a great question. Removes any aspect of being callous in regards to a coaches future employment. Allows for specifics without specific finger pointing.
When the program’s top revenue sports are drawing attendance associated with that of a dumpster fire for the last 5 years, there needs to be finger pointing at, and demanding accountability from, all involved from the top down. I hope CDM can turn things around for football, but I’m not gonna jump back in just because of a new coat of paint. This mess has gone on for years without anyone asking the tough questions. The folks calling the shots are all still in place and I blame them for the mess.

There will always be pop-up social media “journalists” willing to toe the SID’s line just for access.

Again, good luck to the OP on his new venture, but I won’t be listening.

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
He asked for opinions and then gave his. He has every right to be critical of questions as you have to be critical of his response. After a few interviews he may gain the ability to ask tougher questions. Give him a chance. If you want tougher questions asked start a podcast, secure the interview, and then ask them yourself.
Sure, he can do that but that doesn't make it the right think to do, and certainly doesn't embolden people to follow what he's doing. I didn't ask him to start a podcast. He asked us for questions and then attacks us for what people came up with. Like I said the right thing to do - if you're going to come on here and ask - is just to say thanks and move on without using them. Not attack the people and the responses that were offered to him. Good grief. Doesn't take but a little common sense to figure that one out.

Sure, he can do that but that doesn't make it the right think to do, and certainly doesn't embolden people to follow what he's doing. I didn't ask him to start a podcast. He asked us for questions and then attacks us for what people came up with. Like I said the right thing to do - if you're going to come on here and ask - is just to say thanks and move on without using them. Not attack the people and the responses that were offered to him. Good grief. Doesn't take but a little common sense to figure that one out.
Where did I attack anyone? I said I'm not going to ask the athletic director to fire someone or tell him to retire. I plan to use a majority of the questions asked, reworded.

It's a difficult spot. On one side, you've got the old crusties who have suffered through this mess for 10-15 years and are pissed and no longer care about feelings. On the other hand, the new guy is doing a podcast with an AD who it does not appear he has ever actually met. Of course, he can't go in there like a raging bull on the first interview, pi$$ CM off, then never get another interview again. get your feet wet, young man, ask some good questions, develop the relationship, and hopefully with each subsequent meeting, the questions get a little tougher.

It's a difficult spot. On one side, you've got the old crusties who have suffered through this mess for 10-15 years and are pissed and no longer care about feelings. On the other hand, the new guy is doing a podcast with an AD who it does not appear he has ever actually met. Of course, he can't go in there like a raging bull on the first interview, pi$$ CM off, then never get another interview again. get your feet wet, young man, ask some good questions, develop the relationship, and hopefully with each subsequent meeting, the questions get a little tougher.
That's the balance I was referring to earlier.
I've met Lee and talked with him on the phone several times. Expressed light concerns. Same with Hans. But I've never done more than an email with CM and only shaken McP's hand getting my diploma.

I'd love to sit CM as well as McP down and say: "Why didn't you fight harder for the law school? Why are you against a name change? Why is McD paid so much? Why no announcement on extensions? Why, when Stock begged for years for facilities it took so long? Why when the mayor is an alum do we not have a better symbiosis with the city? Why aren't games on major radio stations?" We all could go on for frustration over the years.

But I personally wouldn't ask CM that the first time we met. I haven't even asked Lee. I eventually will get comfortable enough to ask, and them comfortable enough to answer. But not right out of the gate. I'm not saying the first pod with CM should be a PR piece, and some hard questions should be asked, but some can't be...yet.

We don't have a huge social media presence. Things like this are a way to help build that. Just like how they are working with CDM and socials, it will take some time. Should've been done a decade ago, but things are finally moving in a good direction.

I guess an Old Crusty is similar to a Slappy?

And FWIW, I also had lunch with Hans last year to air out my concerns in a respectful manner just like I did with CM. But, I wouldn’t let Hans pay because I didn’t want to be obligated.

As I stated previously I’ve decided to vote with my wallet and my feet and spend the rest of this basketball season watching the MVC product at Belmont.

Reactions: subkyle
I guess an Old Crusty is similar to a Slappy?

And FWIW, I also had lunch with Hans last year to air out my concerns in a respectful manner just like I did with CM. But, I wouldn’t let Hans pay because I didn’t want to be obligated.

As I stated previously I’ve decided to vote with my wallet and my feet and spend the rest of this basketball season watching the MVC product at Belmont.
I'm an old, crusty slappy

• Haha
I know there's a lot of longstanding hard feelings and no one was more negative on the previous staff than me, but......we can't get so toxic and vengeful that we actually do more damage to the program.

I'm not sure the media/public realize how crappy Stock actually was, I do think we, as fans, somehow got a bit of a bad rap as a "we don't support the program" and "Stock did the best he could with what he was working with" sentiment. We know that it is bullcrap, but I'm not sure the outside perception is the same.

Mason, is by all regards, a quality coach and he's well regarded in the world of college football. We are seen as something of a quality program that hasn't put it together. If Mason fails here, it's possible that this could be seen as a coaches graveyard - "Yeah, MTSU - Murfreesboro's nice, but they have no fans"

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their entertainment dollar, or that you need to jump back in with your emotion investment, and I'm not going to play "you're a bad fan if you don't do X" card.

But I do think that maybe we have a chance to have a fresh start - the program seems to have some new life, and there is definite effort taking place to maybe reconnect with the fans and alumni. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, get some positivity going for the first time in forever, and see where it all goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT