ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MT board to hold first meeting in April

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Austin Peay State held its meeting on Thursday, becoming the fourth state university board to convene. MT joins tsu as the last two state schools governing boards yet to meet:
http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-holds-historic-first-board-meeting/99692514/
Austin Peay State University holds 'historic' first board meeting

...Haslam did “gently remind" the board that they would not be operating in a vacuum — the new system includes a check against each university's newfound power. The Tennessee Higher Education Commission will serve as a sort of referee between the six state university boards, the Board of Regents — which still oversees 13 community and 27 technical colleges — and the intact University of Tennessee system. The commission will set binding parameters for tuition increases and will give final approval of new programs, for instance.

The Austin Peay board got off to a modest start, focusing on procedural issues for much of its 50-minute meeting. Without debate, the board established committees, approved policies and set the stage for more substantive action down the road.

The board unanimously approved an average 3 percent increase for housing costs starting in fall 2017. A new undergraduate program in engineering physics — which officials said would be the first of its kind in the state — also won approval, although the program needs the support of the higher education commission before it can launch.

Mike O’Malley was voted in as board chair and Katherine Cannata was selected as vice chair. The board selected Crystal Wallenius as its non-voting student member.

Austin Peay was the fourth state university to hold an independent board meeting this month. Boards for the University of Memphis, Tennessee Tech University and East Tennessee State University have already met, while board meetings for Tennessee State University and Middle Tennessee State University are set for April.....

As a gov't institution, I believe we could go as far as a FOI request for all of these questions. I don't know the legalities more than what I took in college upteen years ago but I do believe that we could get better pervue into these questions rather than waiting on satisfactory media tidbits. Not that I would want to do it but...

Anyone want to lead the charge?

Last edited:
Hopefully MT will be better represented by it's leadership now in the state. It seems that for many years, MT has been the whipping boy of the TBR and THEC under the guise of the Geier (sp?) lawsuit.

As a gov't institution, I believe we could go as far as a FOI request for all of these questions. I don't know the legalities more than what I took in college upteen years ago but I do believe that we could get better pervue into these questions rather than waiting on satisfactory media tidbits. Not that I would want to do it but...

Anyone want to lead the charge?

Funny you mention that. Stay tuned. We've got something in the works!

http://www.mtsunews.com/board-of-trustees-meeting-april2017/

Middle Tennessee State University’s Board of Trustees ... will hold its inaugural meeting at 2:30 p.m. Monday, April 10, in the second-floor ballroom of the Student Union Building...

The board is scheduled to vote on several items at this initial meeting, including the adoption of bylaws, election of officers, approval of board policies that includes board committees, reservation and delegation of authority, and adoption of a code of ethics and conflict of interest policy.

The board also will select a student representative.

The meeting is open to the public and will also stream live. To watch the meeting live, or to view meeting materials, such as the agenda, visit www.mtsu.edu/boardoftrustees.

wgns
http://www.wgnsradio.com/news.php?viewStory=38818
Inaugural Meeting: MT Board of Trustees

...inaugural Board of Trustees meeting is slated for the new Student Union Building at 2:30 Monday afternoon (4/10/2017).

University president, Dr. Sidney McPhee, stressed that the historic event will be in the second floor ballroom and is open to the public.

In addition, it will be streamed "live" for those who can not attend. To watch the meeting live, or to view meeting materials, such as the agenda, visit www.mtsu.edu/boardoftrustees. .....

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
https://middletennessee.forums.rivals.com/threads/university-board-members-named-by-governor.11358/

The appointees to the board are:

• Andrew Adams, former chairman and CEO of National Healthcare Corporation.
  • J.B. Baker, owner and CEO of Sprint Logistics.
  • Pete Delay, executive in Forterra Building Products’ Nashville office.
  • Darrell Freeman Sr., executive chairman of Zycron Inc.
  • Joey Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Acadia Healthcare Company.
  • Chris Karbowiak, executive vice president, chief administrative officer and chief risk officer of Bridgestone Americas Inc.
  • Stephen Smith, board chairman of Haury & Smith Contractors Inc.
  • Pamela Wright, founder, owner and CEO of Wright Travel.

Sorry. Took me a while to find the thread to confirm Darrell Freeman is on the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT