ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Texas Tech, Fri Nov. 25th 1 pm, FloHoops

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
Blue Raiders vs Red Raiders this Fri. Tech is 3-1 & has good victories over Colorado (home) & Louisiana (away). A note on Colorado victory, became a free throw shooting contest. Tech shot 36-41 free throws. Their one loss was to Jackson State, a SWAC school with a ton of athletic transfers. Primary question to be shared with fellow posters is this is broadcast thru Flohoops. Has anyone here worked with or used Flohoops? Wondering about the video feed quality, & if it's worth having? I see it's $20 monthly, & certainly higher than ESPN PLUS. Wasn't sure how easy it is to cancel after ordering or if anyone is aware of free trial options. Any known info appreciated. Would like to see the ladies performance this Holiday weekend, but not sure the investment's worth it.

What was #6 Louisville has lost 2 of last 3, to Gonzaga & South Dakota State. 2 excellent women's teams, but teams the Cards were predicted to win. They have an upcoming game with Ohio St which increases chanced of Louisville coming in with 3 losses. One win in Louisville's corner between losses, a victory over #3 at the time Texas. Those losses are making a MT victory over the Card's more imperative for tournament seeding purposes.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I've used FloHoops - it's good quality, but expensive as you can see. I'll probably sign up for the weekend tournament. It's easy to cancel from what I remember. I think you can sign up in certain links for a discounted rate (maybe $10 instead of $20 for a more limited selection, this is what we'd want since it's just the two games).

Reactions: MTFAN61
  • WGNS 101.9 FM / 1450 AM (Murfreesboro), WGNS 100.5 FM (Smyrna)
  • Streaming on GoBlueRaiders.com and the Varsity Network App

If our Lady Raiders come out with sound focus today like our last 2 games they will surprise a good Tech team with a solid win today!

Speaking of "sound focus" the stream quality is TERRIBLE so far for me.

Is it just me that is having tech issues with this stream? The video is horrible and the audio is choppy as hell. UPDATE: My email to tech support seems to have worked -- much better now that they switched cameras!

It's a battle so far. Whitson doing a great job on rebounding. Need more consistent inside game. Good to have a lead at half though.

Announcers are loving Wheeler and Malashka - and crediting Rick for calling the refs out for missing that charge on Blakely, since the TTU player WAS inside the restricted area.

Texas Tech player shoves Whitson to the floor as she's trying to get off one of their players. Classy. Then refs call double technicals on Whitson and the one who shoved her -- classy officiating, too.

Last edited:
Tough to shake a P5 team when you have to battle them & the ref. Couple of times we've had them down with double digit leads. Gonna have to tough this one out

Not handling the pressure. How many 1 possession losses have we had between this year & last?

Love Coach Insell but he really needs to learn how to call timeouts. Doesn't do any good to save them all for the end then try to salvage the game when you let the team slowly claw back in and your own lead collapses. Just baffling. It's a reason why we lose a lot of games that we do lose. I get having faith in your players but sometimes you need to reset and calm things down.

Not handling the pressure. How many 1 possession losses have we had between this year & last?
Too many, and too many of those have the same pattern -- we have a lead then we slowly lose it, and Insell doesn't call timeouts until WE ARE ALREADY LOSING. This game is a case in point right here. Now there's 10 seconds left, 5 points down because of that. We lose unless there's a miracle.

Lady Raiders battle and lead almost all the way but the only second that matters is the last. We lose 72-67. Led or tied 38+ minutes but can't hit shots down the stretch to close it out. Still an awesome team but most likely going to need to win CUSA to punch a ticket to the big dance.

We had a 94.6% chance to win late in the 3rd quarter. And then a total collapse. If you're a coach you have to know what's happening and at least do something to stem that tide. We didn't see that at all today. Yes, we need to make our shots but come on. Sloppy passing all game, not running the offense, and Insell just watching from the sideline. The team needs to work on some things as with any loss, and so does Coach. I am so thankful we have him but this game was one we should have one. I had a feeling this would happen and lo and behold, here it is.

Reactions: tyler90wm
Lady Raiders battle and lead almost all the way but the only second that matters is the last. We lose 72-67. Led or tied 38+ minutes but can't hit shots down the stretch to close it out. Still an awesome team but most likely going to need to win CUSA to punch a ticket to the big dance.
What I just will never understand is watching the team throw sloppy passes, get thrown off by a changing Texas Tech defense, and absolutely no adjustment in REAL TIME from coaching from the sideline on that. This is why we lose games like this! Where's the in-game adjustments? Not happening without a called timeout! It's one thing to wait till a media timeout (one per quarter) but it's another to actually have a stoppage that you cause in the game.

We HAVE TO be able to make open shots, too - why not take a breather and talk to the team, reinforce confidence? Just makes no sense to me. We want to make a run in the tournament but if this was an NCAA game, we just got knocked out. This isn't a rant to say oh Insell sucks, no he's a great coach for many reasons - but we can all see how good this team can be and this is one thing that I think really needs to be improved. I get that it's not his style, but there's a reason why his style doesn't work out so well in settings like this a lot of the time. Flexibility and adaptation are key. Just like players needing to work on their shot and offensive flow, I think there's some improvement that can happen from the sideline too.

Before the game started I was practically convinced we would win, but by the start of the 4th you could see the outcome staring us in the face. Totally frustrating when you know your team wins all the blowouts, but you become terrified when it's a single digit game in the 3rd & 4th period

What's up with Boldyreva? I thought she and Malashka should've been in the game at the same time. I guess that would require something that he's not willing to do. That is to take Whitson out.

What's up with Boldyreva? I thought she and Malashka should've been in the game at the same time. I guess that would require something that he's not willing to do. That is to take Whitson out.
Yes, despite the very poor shooting from downtown. I appreciate wanting to have your leaders in the game like that but she's a leader on the court and from the bench - it would be a good reset, probably worth the risk. But we'll never know since he is back to his ways of not substituting well.

I was thinking this before the game but never mentioned it. But isn't it odd to have such a long layoff early in the season? The argument could be made that we started hot and it didn't matter but we literally went nine days between games. It's not finals or mid-term week. Just wondering if that factored into some of our rusty play today?

This is a long time theme of Rick's teams. One example for those who may remember. In 2010 when Mississippi State started their tremendous run, we led the whole game only to have Miss St score last 13-15 game points in a row only to lose by 4. We had a very talented team & should have won that one too. 20 plus point blowouts you put on the players & their overall talent compared to weaker competition, but continued single digit losses to similarly talented teams you put on the coach. This has been going on over a decade now, you can see why we only have 1 ncaa tournament victory despite going to the big dance as much as we have. Not a slight or slander towards coach, we all know he has a strong desire to win. But you have to put most of this loss on the bench.....again

This is a long time theme of Rick's teams. One example for those who may remember. In 2010 when Mississippi State started their tremendous run, we led the whole game only to have Miss St score last 13-15 game points in a row only to lose by 4. We had a very talented team & should have won that one too. 20 plus point blowouts you put on the players & their overall talent compared to weaker competition, but continued single digit losses to similarly talented teams you put on the coach. This has been going on over a decade now, you can see why we only have 1 ncaa tournament victory despite going to the big dance as much as we have. Not a slight or slander towards coach, we all know he has a strong desire to win. But you have to put most of this loss on the bench.....again
Very well said. It's not like we are a bad team, or have bad coaches. These are the little things that must be improved if we are gonna get to where we all want to be, but they haven't been fixed for as long as Rick Insell has been HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT