ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee (16-4, 6-0) vs Western Kentucky (13-8, 4-2) Sat. Feb 03, 2:00 pm. ESPN+

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
Middle Tennessee begins a 3 game home swing against WKU this weekend, while WKU is in the midst of a 3 game road trip. The Lady Raiders come into Saturday's contest red hot & on a 6 game winning streak. MT & WKU shared the same opponent on their last road match up versus FIU, but the outcome was totally different for each team. The Lady Raiders played their best game of the year resulting in a 92-62 pasting of the Lady Panthers. It was a totally different ending for WKU. A defensive 1st half for both squads turned into a better 2nd half offensive effort for FIU as they went on to win against a struggling WKU squad 70-60.
Middle Tennessee has been sluggish at times coming off of a 1 week or more layoff. However, look for the ladies to shake off a little rust in what should be their best crowd since the Rutherford County Students day game.
With pleasant weather forecast into the low 60's this Saturday it would be great to see 5,000 or more in attendance for this weekends game.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I like the timing of the game for those who want to support the men's team later that day up in Bowling Green. It should always be this way between the two schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTFAN61
What we did to FIU was more than impressive. Long way to go but our balanced attack is something we haven't had in a while. We can beat you inside, we can beat you outside. Catch us when both are clicking and look out as FIU found out.

Next up, WKU. Our old rival doesn't stack up on paper but is quite capable if we aren't up to par. Their best player, Acacia Hayes, only played 11 minutes due to illness in the FIU loss - their last game played at this point. Provided she has recovered, she will look to put on a show in her hometown.

It would suit me if we win by 50. Anytime we can lay the wood to Big Red is a good day. Yet I'll be satisfied if we win by 1.

Hope the coaches show the team clips from the latest home games between Tennessee vs South Carolina, & Kentucky vs Florida men's contests.
When you're used to giving great effort on the road & on a nice winning streak it's easy to think you may have one in the bag coming back for a home game. Tennessee & Kentucky can let you know high praise & pats on the back don't guarantee a home victory.
Hopefully we stay focused & don't let any of the next 3 home match ups fall into the dreaded trap game scenario.

When we have had evenly matched teams, it does seem like our team plays tight against WKU. I feel like Insell having an extreme dislike for WKU, plays into that. We won't overlook them, but may be tight. The other two games would be easier for the team to have a let down.

We cannot overlook WKU ever, especially not this year when they are pretty decent. Hope we have a big crowd on Saturday for this one. First 250 students are getting a giveaway, it's a light-up cowboy hat.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Great crowd today. Team playing well... currently up 47-29. WKU not looking very impressive

What we did to FIU was more than impressive. Long way to go but our balanced attack is something we haven't had in a while. We can beat you inside, we can beat you outside. Catch us when both are clicking and look out as FIU found out.

Next up, WKU. Our old rival doesn't stack up on paper but is quite capable if we aren't up to par. Their best player, Acacia Hayes, only played 11 minutes due to illness in the FIU loss - their last game played at this point. Provided she has recovered, she will look to put on a show in her hometown.

It would suit me if we win by 50. Anytime we can lay the wood to Big Red is a good day. Yet I'll be satisfied if we win by 1.
How about 32?

Great win. WKU was a mouthy bunch and brought a lot of attitude. I believe Kyle said they were 'chirpy' and the refs were clearly letting them get away with a lot of stuff, but the Lady Raiders were being held to a higher standard. I thought some of the calls on Boldyreva were just the opposite of what should have been called.

Very nice crowd today.

Very good win. Great defensive effort. Needed this margin of victory. Scott is becoming that unstoppable scoring threat we need. Love we have so many scoring options now. Gregory with 19 & I didn't even know it until checking box score. WKU is not a bad team, but looks like having maturity issues with their lack of discipline. They finally woke up the beast at the end when we decided to put them out of their misery with that 17-0 run. Perfectly fine with me. Bully needs a little slapping on occasion.

And this was not MT at its best. Like coach said, we missed a number of easy shots + it was for us a mediocre day at the foul line 21-29. To still win by that margin, wow.
Was a little concerned with the one week lay between games, but WKU had same schedule so no biggie. Now that we're back to 2 games a week look for a better rhythm to finish off regular season.
Looking forward to see how we perform against a really hot Liberty team.

I'd like to know what Mead said to Insell in the 2Q. She was in sweats the 2H
Curious 'bout this too. WKU said she had an "illness" and sat. Perhaps a case of diarrhea of the mouth? I know Hayes had an "illness" and sat most of the FIU game. Maybe they are passing it around as it seemed several WKU players were spewing it Saturday.

Last edited:
Welp, that confirms suspicions that Mead did indeed direct comments at CRI. No doubt, WKU plays with attitude. The return trip to Bowling Green in a couple of weeks should be interesting. I'd imagine the linked editorial will become bulletin board material. We play our game and I'm not worried about losing. I am worried about WKU playing their game and we come away with a cheap shot injury.

Just reviewed the nation's top 20 attended women's basketball games for 2023 season thus far.
The #17 ranked most attended game in the nation this year is Middle Tennessee vs Western Kentucky in Murfreesboro with 4,877!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT