ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Charlotte (Homecoming), 2PM, Saturday, October 20, 2018

The TOP stat is deceiving when using it to grade Charlotte's defense. Appy St scored 45 points in 23 minutes TOP. UMass had 49 points in 23 minutes. UAB 28 in 26. ODU 25 in 21. If you're giving up more than a point per minute, that's not a great defense. It just means they give up big plays they don't force the opponent to drive the ball. Fordham, WKU and us are the only teams that couldn't get more than a point per minute of TOP. Two bad offenses and an FCS team.

That being said, I'd still rather win like this than lose a shootout.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I never said UNCC D was Bama worthy. I said that they are good and their game plan was very effective. It's a good defense. They are top 25 ranked in rush D and Total D Nearly top 10 ranked. It's relative but they had our number.

Ever heard of matchups? If you played fantasy football you would pickup a really good rushing D that was gonna go against a bad rushing team wouldn't you? Charlotte's ability to close down run lanes as fast as they did was impressive. Watch the film. They knew what we were gonna do 85% of the time. Our execution was bad but their D was good as well which made it even worse.

To be honest, I thought we were gonna lose to them this time a week ago. Defensively, they do everything we don't do well on O. It was gonna be close no matter what. We survived it.

I just don't agree with you. There isn't a defense in this conference that should hold us to zero first downs. They may be statistically decent due to a very weak schedule. The only other games they played against decent teams were App State and UAB who beat them by a combined 73-16 with 764 yards of offense.

I guess that's the point though right. We aren't a decent team. We've finally found a little luck this year.

Our O isn't good. I agree whole heartedly on that point and I'm not defending it at all. We did go into Marshall and play much better so we do have it in us to play but the playcalling, blocking, WR separation, and QB play has been all over the place and sloppy as hell. I don't question or defend any of that. If Stock is to stay, Polly, Mallory and Silvoy need to go. If TF leaves, I ain't sad either. We need new offensive coaching over there.

BTW, Appy St. and UAB is beating just about everybody. UAB's D is better than Charlotte as they are 11th in total D and their offense is pretty good too. Top 20 in running the ball. They are winning the conference.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT