ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Charlotte (Homecoming), 2PM, Saturday, October 20, 2018

Who did we have carted off today? I thought I saw one lineman but couldn’t tell who it was.

Stockstills championship season is starting to come together! Winning the way he wants with his boy at the helm! We really are on the brink of something special. Hang on to your seats this is starting to get good!

And we still put as many on Charlotte as we did FIU. Charlotte actually has a better defense than FIU. They just have a much worse offense.

Brent was bad. O'Hara should have been playing.

I don't think the offense or defense played anything but base sets and it resulted in an ugly game.

There wasn't 10K in the stands today

O’Hara is a better runner than passer right now and Charlotte came into the game as one of the leagues best rush defenses, but a more porous secondary. I’m not sure how productive he would have been.

After Stockstill made that great run for a first down, it appears that he gained more confidence and was then able to push off his injured leg without worrying about being hurt again. That touchdown throw came soon after and I don’t believe O’Hara could have completed that pass.

I hope Stock can heal more by ODU.

Let's address Rick Stockstill's mentality toward this situation. Right of the bat he's right. We won. I don't know about y'all, but I would rather win ugly with terrible stats than lose pretty putting up gaudy numbers. Bottom line is to win the game. No matter how you go about it.

Now, here is the flip side and it doesn't do anything to take away the fact that we won. What should really, really concern CRS is that we won in spite of ourselves. Charlotte literally gave us that game. If they don't give us two possessions in our own territory then I'm not sure that we would have scored more than 7 points. He should be really concerned with the fact that we cannot run the ball at all. He should be really concerned that our offense is both so inept at running the ball and so predictable with the play calling that we ran nine plays in the third quarter - three possessions that were all three and outs. He should be really concerned that his offense is so vanilla it does not present a challenge for the opposing defenses. He should be really concerned that the offense didn't get single first down in the second half - not one. He should be really concerned that his secondary got beat deep consistently the entire game. He should be very thankful that Charlotte's QB weren't two inches shorter on all those deep throws that skipped off the finger tips of Charlotte WR's. Otherwise they would have did to us what they did to Western. He should be really concerned that his team is not getting better.

He can be happy about the win. It's better to win than lose, but if he really wants to be "a winner" then he should probably take a long hard look at that tape and realize that he won that game due to luck and and because Charlotte basically gave us that game not because he has a good team, his team played a good game, or because they coached and called a good game.

That was literally one of the worst offensive performances I have ever witnessed in my two decades of watching MT football. If I could give the play calling something worst than an F- I would. If I could give our play making abilities something less than an F- it would get that grade too.

One last thing. Why does CRS say every chance he gets that winning football games is hard? Who gives a F? You are paid nearly $1 million dollars per year to do that. If it wasn't hard everyone could be a football coach. I'm really tired of hearing a millionaire tell me how hard his job is. I don't give a flying F how hard your job is Rick. If it's so hard for you then walk away and retire. We know it's hard. That's why you are paid really well. So, feel free to stop telling us how hard your job is, because really no one gives a F.

I'm telling you. He's retiring at the end of the season. He's worn down. Players are telling me this too.

His son is still playing. Once Brent is done so is he. I've had at least 3 former players who still keep in touch with Brent and others and that's what they're hearing from within. I believe them. We'll see what happens.

I believe it. I've been saying this for a while now that he looks tired. Was actually worried he was having some health issues.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Watching the Raiders Sat. reminded me of watching Davis' early BkB teams. As much fun as watching paint dry. Performances like that on HC are a huge factor in the declining fan base.

On to Coaching: Disregarding the fact that the QB is your son: If your offense was stagnant, your QB was gimpy, and you had another QB who had performed admirably in a backup role the previous week: Would you keep trotting out your ineffective QB during the 2nd half?

As a fan I got more and more POed each time I watched Lil' Stock come out for another 3 and out.

Reactions: Hop45
Watching the Raiders Sat. reminded me of watching Davis' early BkB teams. As much fun as watching paint dry. Performances like that on HC are a huge factor in the declining fan base.

On to Coaching: Disregarding the fact that the QB is your son: If your offense was stagnant, your QB was gimpy, and you had another QB who had performed admirably in a backup role the previous week: Would you keep trotting out your ineffective QB during the 2nd half?

As a fan I got more and more POed each time I watched Lil' Stock come out for another 3 and out.

I was one possession away from it. Brent is not the problem. He clearly wasn't right early, but after he got fully warmed up and the 0-for-5 start he completed 14 of his 15 pass attempts and threw 3 TD passes. The problem was (1) play calling was simply atrocious and (2) we can't run the ball. Not even a little bit. And there is probably a third. Not only can the OL not run block they also can't pass protect very well. And the receivers aren't getting open.

I will say this though. We are in Charlotte territory with a 3rd and 7. I'm damn sure not calling a QB draw with my injured QB. And of course we didn't get it and punted. That goes back to #1 above.

Reactions: Hop45 and Blue_H
Just think about this. We had more than double the yards in Brent's first start on the road AT Alabama than we did against Charlotte Saturday.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Just think about this. We had more than double the yards in Brent's first start on the road AT Alabama than we did against Charlotte Saturday.

I wonder how they truly feel about O'Hara.

Yeah, when forced, they can put him in and have him run around here and there, but it seems like they would rather have Brent out there with one arm tied behind his back than anyone else.

Brent was clearly not Brent on Saturday. We've got 4 other QBs on 'ship. Charlotte is not Marshall or one of the F_U's when it comes to being a formidable opponent.

With Brent running out of eligibility in about 6 weeks, this is the time to be getting a backup ready to play (if not already ready).

I wonder how they truly feel about O'Hara.

Yeah, when forced, they can put him in and have him run around here and there, but it seems like they would rather have Brent out there with one arm tied behind his back than anyone else.

Brent was clearly not Brent on Saturday. We've got 4 other QBs on 'ship. Charlotte is not Marshall or one of the F_U's when it comes to being a formidable opponent.

With Brent running out of eligibility in about 6 weeks, this is the time to be getting a backup ready to play (if not already ready).

Better than in years past. Brent could have come back in last week. This week was just a matter of probably letting the 5th year senior QB make his own decision about whether he could go or not. The fact that Brent didn't play a snap in the 2nd half last week says they felt somewhat confident with Ohara.

First of all, Charlotte is a formidable team. They were 3-3 just like us and 2-1 in the conference just like us. They have the best defense in the conference and the 6th best rushing D in the nation. Their total D is 13th in the nation. They are ranked 2nd in the country in time of possession.

It was ugly but we beat a very good D. That DC is going to a P5 team real soon.

Reactions: Blue_H
But they don't have P5 players. There isn't a defense in the country that should prevent us from getting a first down in an entire half - much less one in our conference.

I was dumbfounded...no first downs in the 2nd half. Didn't Charlotte give up 49 points to UMass?

The good news this year is we are over achieving...when I look at our offense over the year

294 yds
460 yds (on freaking UT-Martin)
288 yds
426 yds
420 yds
329 yds
144 yds

We have a history of good offense, just a few years ago we were lighting everyone up...what is the problem...how can we not move the ball on any body on a regular basis?

I don't see us breaking out without the other team giving us multiple turnovers.

So in light of our offense, its crazy amazing that we have won 4 games.

Actually having a serviceable defense has a lot to do with why we have four wins.

But if you recall, that QB for Charlotte - aside from a few errant passes - was just a hair long on half a dozen deep throws that fell off finger tips of Charlotte receivers. At least one was a sure touchdown. Our DB's were beat on all six of those. If he's just a hair closer on those throws we lose that game.

Actually having a serviceable defense has a lot to do with why we have four wins.

But if you recall, that QB for Charlotte - aside from a few errant passes - was just a hair long on half a dozen deep throws that fell off finger tips of Charlotte receivers. At least one was a sure touchdown. Our DB's were beat on all six of those. If he's just a hair closer on those throws we lose that game.

Honestly, our D is not that good - they are ranked like 90th. Serviceable is a fair word, and you are right, Charlotte missed on several deep passes where the WR is open.

Honestly, what I think may be helping out D is we don't run tempo anymore. A few years ago, I felt like our D was gassed all the time. Now, they still get gassed due to all our 3 and outs, but not as gassed as in the past.

But they don't have P5 players. There isn't a defense in the country that should prevent us from getting a first down in an entire half - much less one in our conference.
They don't need P5 players. Their defensive scheme is excellent. Plus their time of possession is another big factor. They had the ball for over 36 minutes. That's their MO. It's a smart play. You don't need P5 players to be formidable. You just have to be smart with your gameplan. I think Charlotte will be close to bowling and could very well beat FAU or FIU.

They don't need P5 players. Their defensive scheme is excellent. Plus their time of possession is another big factor. They had the ball for over 36 minutes. That's their MO. It's a smart play. You don't need P5 players to be formidable. You just have to be smart with your gameplan. I think Charlotte will be close to bowling and could very well beat FAU or FIU.

Dude, we didn't have a first down the entire second half. That's why they had the ball so long. Cause we ran nine plays in the third qtr. Nine. No first downs. I mean come on man.

Dude, they average 36 minutes in possession time per game. They are no. 2 in the country in TOP. It is part of their gameplan.

They are 6th in the country in stopping the run. They are a good sound defense. They hired a new coordinator and he's really improved them. Also, they matched up really well against us.

Did we play like crap? Yes. Was their D good? Yes. So far, UNCC's D has been the toughest we've faced besides UGA. They moved to the ball faster than Vandy. Vandy just had a much better O and more depth.

ODU is 126 in stopping the run. We should do better this week.

Looking back, we were very fortunate in getting the victory Saturday. Had we not intercepted Charlotte deep in their own territory and Gatlin Casey scored with about 9:37 left to make it 21 (after extra point) to 6, outcome could have got very anxious at the end. Outcome could have been 14-14 headed to OT or 14-12 MT escape with a nail biter. We weren’t doing that well moving the ball or very efficient...the defense obviously saved a happy Homecoming.

Survive and advance to the next one against Old Dominion. Nothing is going to be easy given how we are playing.

Looking back, we were very fortunate in getting the victory Saturday. Had we not intercepted Charlotte deep in their own territory and Gatlin Casey scored with about 9:37 left to make it 21 (after extra point) to 6, outcome could have got very anxious at the end. Outcome could have been 14-14 headed to OT or 14-12 MT escape with a nail biter. We weren’t doing that well moving the ball or very efficient...the defense obviously saved a happy Homecoming.

Survive and advance to the next one against Old Dominion. Nothing is going to be easy given how we are playing.

One of the truest statements I've heard so far this season.

Dude, they average 36 minutes in possession time per game. They are no. 2 in the country in TOP. It is part of their gameplan.

They are 6th in the country in stopping the run. They are a good sound defense. They hired a new coordinator and he's really improved them. Also, they matched up really well against us.

Did we play like crap? Yes. Was their D good? Yes. So far, UNCC's D has been the toughest we've faced besides UGA. They moved to the ball faster than Vandy. Vandy just had a much better O and more depth.

ODU is 126 in stopping the run. We should do better this week.

What does their TOP have to do with the fact we didn't get a first down the entire second half? Aside from us helping them pad that stat by - you know - not getting any first downs. They are also one of the worst in the nation stopping the pass, which is what we are supposed to be good at. Hilarious you think Charlotte's D is better than Vandy's, FIUs or Marshalls. I thought you knew football.

Last edited:
What does their TOP have to do with the fact we didn't get a first down the entire second half? Aside from us helping them pad that stat by - you know - not getting any first downs. They are also one of the worst in the nation stopping the pass, which is what we are supposed to be good at. Hilarious you think Charlotte's D is better than Vandy's, FIUs or Marshalls. I thought you knew football.

Yes, TOP on offense matters a ton for defense. The defense stays rested and the DC has more time to review and relate info down to the defense to adjust on D or get even more aggressive while focusing on weak points. For instance, after our first series in the 3rd quarter, UNCC started to attack the left side more and more, thus limiting our run game and putting pressure on Brent from his strong side. As MT would rotate out players to adjust to that pressure, the D had time to adjust and bring pressure on the opposite side for the next series. We were on our heels in the entire 2nd half. Their D was rested and fresh the whole time. TOP provides that. Plus, the other team can't score when you have the ball. Duh. :)

Charlotte's run D has been the most effective vs. us besides UGA. We ran more on VU. We ran more on Marshall and scored more too while being on the road. Charlotte is ranked 13th in the nation on total D. They are 55th vs. the pass so they are not one of the worst vs. the pass. There are at least 128 teams in CFB. I thought you knew football. :)

From a situational standpoint and matchup wise, they were the toughest D besides UGA we've faced. Statistically, we did put up more yards on UGA but UGA took out their starters in the 1st quarter.

You can say UNCC isn't good on D but they lead the conference right now on rushing D and is right behind UAB on total D. Marshall is 60th overall with the 10th best rushing D.

Our lack of T.O.P. is why our D isn't statistically better or a complete lock down D. We get gassed because our "genius" OC trots the O out there in a no huddle taking only 45 seconds off the clock for an entire possession. No rest. Our D is playing lights out for a D that is out there for over 36 freaking minutes. From a situational standpoint, our D is the most solid I've seen in many years. This is also the worst O I've seen since Stock has been here. However, UNCC attacked the weakpoints and was successful in their gameplan because they are a damn good D.

Thanks for playing though.

Last edited:
Yes, TOP on offense matters a ton for defense. The defense stays rested and the DC has more time to review and relate info down to the defense to adjust on D or get even more aggressive while focusing on weak points. For instance, after our first series in the 3rd quarter, UNCC started to attack the left side more and more, thus limiting our run game and putting pressure on Brent from his strong side. As MT would rotate out players to adjust to that pressure, the D had time to adjust and bring pressure on the opposite side for the next series. We were on our heels in the entire 2nd half. Their D was rested and fresh the whole time. TOP provides that. Plus, the other team can't score when you have the ball. Duh. :)

Charlotte's run D has been the most effective vs. us besides UGA. We ran more on VU. We ran more on Marshall and scored more too while being on the road. Charlotte is ranked 13th in the nation on total D. They are 55th vs. the pass so they are not one of the worst vs. the pass. There are at least 128 teams in CFB. I thought you knew football. :)

From a situational standpoint and matchup wise, they were the toughest D besides UGA we've faced. Statistically, we did put up more yards on UGA but UGA took out their starters in the 1st quarter.

You can say UNCC isn't good on D but they lead the conference right now on rushing D and is right behind UAB on total D. Marshall is 60th overall with the 10th best rushing D.

Our lack of T.O.P. is why our D isn't statistically better or a complete lock down D. We get gassed because our "genius" OC trots the O out there in a no huddle taking only 45 seconds off the clock for an entire possession. No rest. Our D is playing lights out for a D that is out there for over 36 freaking minutes. From a situational standpoint, our D is the most solid I've seen in many years. This is also the worst O I've seen since Stock has been here. However, UNCC attacked the weakpoints and was successful in their gameplan because they are a damn good D.

Thanks for playing though.

Actually JT, our offense has slowed way down - there is no basketball on grass, there is no getting in as many plays as possible, that ended in 2016. We do not run a hurry up, there is no fast tempo. If our D is gassed its because we can't get a first down.

We ran 53 plays against Charlotte, only 67 against FIU, we did run more against Marshall and FAU but not crazy numbers. Once this year, have we run more than 85 and that was against UT Martin.

We had 8 possessions for less than 2 minutes per possession vs. Charlotte. We might have slowed our game down but we are 110th in time of possession averaging 27:30 per game. It matters. Or O isn't helping our D and our D still rises to the occasion.

UNCC's strength is run D and their T.O.P and we didn't counter that at all. UNCC had the better gameplan. We moved the ball just enough while taking advantage of the opportunities given to our D.

No first downs an entire half against anyone other than Bama is a disgrace. Our offense is pure crap. Our only saving grace is we play in the worst conference ever against low level competition. Easy for stats to be skewed when you play crap teams.
Most prolific offense in MT history my azz.

No first downs an entire half against anyone other than Bama is a disgrace. Our offense is pure crap. Our only saving grace is we play in the worst conference ever against low level competition. Easy for stats to be skewed when you play crap teams.
Most prolific offense in MT history my azz.

JT says Charltotte D is Bama worthy. Keep up.

I never said UNCC D was Bama worthy. I said that they are good and their game plan was very effective. It's a good defense. They are top 25 ranked in rush D and Total D Nearly top 10 ranked. It's relative but they had our number.

Ever heard of matchups? If you played fantasy football you would pickup a really good rushing D that was gonna go against a bad rushing team wouldn't you? Charlotte's ability to close down run lanes as fast as they did was impressive. Watch the film. They knew what we were gonna do 85% of the time. Our execution was bad but their D was good as well which made it even worse.

To be honest, I thought we were gonna lose to them this time a week ago. Defensively, they do everything we don't do well on O. It was gonna be close no matter what. We survived it.

I never said UNCC D was Bama worthy. I said that they are good and their game plan was very effective. It's a good defense. They are top 25 ranked in rush D and Total D Nearly top 10 ranked. It's relative but they had our number.

Ever heard of matchups. If you played fantasy football you would pickup a really good rushing D that was gonna go against a bad rushing team wouldn't you? Charlotte's ability to close down run lanes as fast as they did was impressive. Watch the film. They knew what we were gonna do 85% of the time. Our execution was bad but their D was good as well which made it even worse.

Heck, most of the folks in attendance know what play we are running, and I think that is the bigger point.

Its not about Charlotte (yes they have a good D), its ABOUT US. We have seen the body of work on the offense side of things, we are are below average. I hope we can get better, but I don't see how its possible. With our tools, we need a dual purpose QB to bail us out, Stock isn't that guy. Please understand, I think he is a great QB, but not with our tools (and his injuries). Now, not suggesting we play O'Hara, but in my mind, he may have been a better option last week. I can't believe he didn't get a series or two.

Reactions: MTFNBY5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT