ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (5-5, 2-4) vs FAU (5-5, 4-2) (Senior Day), ESPN+, 2:30PM, Saturday, November 19, 2022

Going bowling in back to back years is nothing to scoff at. Hopefully it will be back to back bowl wins.

Reactions: Hop45
Peaking at the right time! Blow out cupcake fiu next week and than it’s bowling time! Be cool to get that myrtle beach game. Lot of nice gentlemens clubs and golf courses to keep you occupied for a couple days. Or so I’ve been told…

Reactions: SubwayAlumni
My 4 seats were in the end zone. I give Lee and his team credit. They are trying, thinking outside the box. But they are trying to sell a product that has zero demand. At least the basketball program has a pulse again.
Not sure we we had a beating heart against MOST!

• Haha
Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Going bowling in back to back years is nothing to scoff at. Hopefully it will be back to back bowl wins.
That to me is the biggest thing. We've never done that and if we want to build anything we have to to get year to year momentum going and win.

Reactions: ewglenn
I’ll piss in the cheerios.

Every team we have beaten this season has a losing record.

Thankful we can beat down sisters of the poor to get bowl eligible.

If anything, there are too many bowls. I’m pessimistic that Rick Stockstill can build any momentum other than a cool .500 record.

Sorry. Not sorry.

I’ll piss in the cheerios.

Every team we have beaten this season has a losing record.

Thankful we can beat down sisters of the poor to get bowl eligible.

If anything, there are too many bowls. I’m pessimistic that Rick Stockstill can build any momentum other than a cool .500 record.

Sorry. Not sorry.
FAU was 5-5 too and has our former OC who knows us. To go out and get 650 yards on them and hold them to 31 yards rushing deserves credit. I have no problem bashing the hell out of Stock and the team for that matter but last night wasn’t one of those nights. This was the most solid performance I’ve seen us have in years. FAU beat UAB. It’s not like they were Charlotte. Would it have been better to have beaten WKU and UTSA? Uh, yeah. However, we could have folded like a lawn chair yesterday and didn’t. Not ever gonna be mad at that.

It does make me scratch my head at the UAB and LaTech performances though. I guess it’s all about matchups.

Is Willie Taggart the worst coach in football? I just looked a his career record year by year and it’s amazing he’s still keeps getting jobs.

Is Willie Taggart the worst coach in football? I just looked a his career record year by year and it’s amazing he’s still keeps getting jobs.
I hope his luck has ran out, being one of those coaches that job hops leaving his team behind. Departe WKU prior to the Bowl Game to take the USF job. Left USF before the Bowl Game to take the Oregon job. Left Oregon after one year and before the bowl game to take the FSU job

Worst? No, but he lacks on the field acumen. Hell of a recruiter but can never put it all together on the field. Tagg inherited Kiffin's Lambo when he left (plus the FSU transfers) but is failing to keep up with maintenance.

I'm happy that the players will get the bowl experience but I'm still going to scoff at the "accomplishment." We got our six wins against teams with an average Sagarin ranking of 136. THERE'S ONLY 131 TEAMS PLAYING FBS FOOTBALL. Our average win is over an FCS quality team.

Miami (75)
FAU (103)
Colorado St (133)
UTEP (134)
Charlotte (168)
TSU (205)

Our losses?
UTSA (54)
James Madison (68)
WKU (74)
UAB (97)
La Tech (151)

18:30 mark, Murphy talks about FAU, includes Stockstill clip and comments...

Murphy has some valid points. But my gripe is this.

Is it good we are 12 our of 17 years bowl eligible, absolutely. There are even P5 teams that can't say that and it is harder for G5s due to $ games.

But why, after 17 years is 7-5 acceptable? Shouldn't the standard be set higher? To me, 7-5 is mediocre. And after 17 years there shouldn't be an injury issue for that to be a reason to be happy with 7-5. There should be enough of a system of recruiting snd development in place after that long that it should be next man up and not a beat missed.

Talking with Lee Saturday he mentioned specifically to me that they want people to know they aren't happy with being mediocre and want to win. I hope he is right but I have yet to see it. Again, 7-5 is mediocre to me.

It's a good thing I'm not an AD. His contract after 17 years would set the minimum at 8 wins. An extension would happen ONLY for a conference championship, and two years in a row of 6 wins or less and you are fired with cause. Gone. Which really means win 60% of your games or you are gone.

7-5 should be a down year, not the top level goal. I just do not understand at all how anyone can be happy with that. And I don't want to hear Jeff say I don't support. I'm BRAA and my @$$ drove 6 hours to see them Sat. I go to away games. I don't want to hear that.

Saturday was by far the best complete game we have played since Miami. Super fun to watch. By why, if we are a good football team, are we still losing to those with winning records and always always lose one we shouldn't.

And yes facilities will help, but Stock won't magically win 10 games every year just because we have a fancy weight room. Could it swing a 3 star player to us, sure. But we aren't even recruiting 3stars. We are barely recruiting guys that have FCS offers. It has nothing to do with facilities.

I need to stop. Getting more ticked off the more I write.

Murphy has some valid points. But my gripe is this.

Is it good we are 12 our of 17 years bowl eligible, absolutely. There are even P5 teams that can't say that and it is harder for G5s due to $ games.

But why, after 17 years is 7-5 acceptable? Shouldn't the standard be set higher? To me, 7-5 is mediocre. And after 17 years there shouldn't be an injury issue for that to be a reason to be happy with 7-5. There should be enough of a system of recruiting snd development in place after that long that it should be next man up and not a beat missed.

Talking with Lee Saturday he mentioned specifically to me that they want people to know they aren't happy with being mediocre and want to win. I hope he is right but I have yet to see it. Again, 7-5 is mediocre to me.

It's a good thing I'm not an AD. His contract after 17 years would set the minimum at 8 wins. An extension would happen ONLY for a conference championship, and two years in a row of 6 wins or less and you are fired with cause. Gone. Which really means win 60% of your games or you are gone.

7-5 should be a down year, not the top level goal. I just do not understand at all how anyone can be happy with that. And I don't want to hear Jeff say I don't support. I'm BRAA and my @$$ drove 6 hours to see them Sat. I go to away games. I don't want to hear that.

Saturday was by far the best complete game we have played since Miami. Super fun to watch. By why, if we are a good football team, are we still losing to those with winning records and always always lose one we shouldn't.

And yes facilities will help, but Stock won't magically win 10 games every year just because we have a fancy weight room. Could it swing a 3 star player to us, sure. But we aren't even recruiting 3stars. We are barely recruiting guys that have FCS offers. It has nothing to do with facilities.

I need to stop. Getting more ticked off the more I write.
Talk is cheap. Contracts that reward mediocrity speak louder than words.

I'm not sure how much credibility he already had but Murphy tossed it in the trash with that segment. It seemed like he and coach 500 were just calling out all of us who aren't happy with mediocrity and even describing the bowl eligibility (🤢) stretch as a great job. In my opinion, that's just a perfect example of one of the three types of lies.

I'm sure his employment status, on gameday, requires him to make statements like that.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I'm happy that the players will get the bowl experience but I'm still going to scoff at the "accomplishment." We got our six wins against teams with an average Sagarin ranking of 136. THERE'S ONLY 131 TEAMS PLAYING FBS FOOTBALL. Our average win is over an FCS quality team.

Miami (75)
FAU (103)
Colorado St (133)
UTEP (134)
Charlotte (168)
TSU (205)

Our losses?
UTSA (54)
James Madison (68)
WKU (74)
UAB (97)
La Tech (151)
It's like high school football. Idk how TN works, but for WV rankings and playoffs it mostly is based on bonus points. You win it helps, but you get bonus points if the team you beat wins again, and again etc. So your points from one win in game 2, can grow by game 8 if that team wins more.

Like there are 4 schools in my county. While one is huge AAA with over 1k students grades 9-12, the smallest is our school, class A with less than 200 for grades 9-12. Old fashioned family school. Finished 8-2, missed playoffs by one spot, because of bonus points. Combined records of their wins, 12-57. Had 10 bonus points. Top 16 get in and five with 3 losses got in over us.

The team that was top seed at 10-0 had 41 bonus points.

Even at high school wins over good teams matter more.

Some one remind me of how many of those bowl eligible season did MT actually play and win a bowl game?
Out of 16 (since we haven't even made it into a bowl yet this year)

Eligible 11
Played 9
Won 3

Edit....
Records of those we lost 49-25 (.662)
Records of those we won 21-14 (.600)

Not one of our bowl wins was over a team that won more than 7 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT