ADVERTISEMENT

MAC talk

Promise this is my last reply on this subject. It's not unusual for an entity (or person) to be thought of differently away from home. A wise pastor once told me that I would be considered a man away from my small town but at home I would always be seen as a the son of my father. I once was at a winery north of Cookeville and the winery's owner's daughter was going through Cookeville and by TTU to attend MT although TTU offered the same degree. I was told the daughter loved MT and the owner had nothing but good things to say about MTSU. Additionally I see more MT gear in Winchester, Fayetteville, and Tullahoma than in Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, and Franklin.
This psychology just might be a partial explanation as to why so many local %$&-major prospects choose to go to other schools rather than MT and why we seem to recruit better farther away from N'ville and The Boro.
Now you sucked me in. When work used to take me down to Winchester & Tullahoma area years ago, I too noticed a lot more display of support for MT compared to the Murfreesboro area.

It also reminds me of my youth in Northern Virginia in the 80s. Amongst my friends/peers, ODU, JMU even Radford seemed to be seen as more desirable than George Mason. Lots of similarities here with MTSU like George Mason being a reasonably large university in the suburbs of the major metro area. To the youthful way of thinking, George Mason wasn't going away from home to college like other state schools that were a few hour drive away. I think it ties into that stage of life thing, breaking away from home, and coming of age perspective.

Plus, familiarity breeds contempt, right? To my peers, George Mason was the local college. It just wasn't seen as cool. I remember no arguments based on academics. Now for my friends going to UVA or Tech, academics were an argument, but not for the other schools spread out around the state that many of my friends preferred. At least the way I remember it these many decades later. ;)

Lastly, just on the other side of the beltway Univ of Maryland was given little to no thought but for many of my friends West Virginia was given thought. Again, it seemed to have to do with "going away to college."

This makes so much sense. Pride and arrogance are getting in the way of it happening. Also false hope of "P6".

I say sign it and get it done. Where we going? The AAC in 5 years? That's a big IF. No guarantee of that whatsoever. Even if that went down then what? We join the same A holes who put us in this crap in the first place? Nah. AAC is gonna be a POS in 3 years. No doubt. None of those teams save maybe UAB and UTSA is gonna be worth anything. Like they are now. FAU is banking on Willie, who is loyal to no one. If we stay in CUSA, we won't be putting in a swimming pool in the HOF building anytime soon. LOL. We won't see hardly any of that money. I don't care what the theories are. That cash will evaporate like water in Cali.
I tend to think the same way about the AAC. Just like with C-USA, by the time MTSU arrived, it was no longer the same conference to which MTSU had once aspired. I imagine it would be the same with the AAC.

One of the main differences with the SunBelt is that they at least seem to be consolidating geographically.....somewhat. Perhaps MAC to the North and SunBelt to the South. Somehow, WKU & MTSU seem to be thrown into the North.

Again, it makes me wonder if someone (or a small group of someone) are just moving chess pieces around on the board. Of course, that someone being ESPN. That also leads me to think that all these debates about with which conference to affiliate are just academic discussions to something that the real powers have already decided.

I say sign it and get it done. Where we going? The AAC in 5 years? That's a big IF. No guarantee of that whatsoever. Even if that went down then what? We join the same A holes who put us in this crap in the first place? Nah. AAC is gonna be a POS in 3 years. No doubt. None of those teams save maybe UAB and UTSA is gonna be worth anything. Like they are now. FAU is banking on Willie, who is loyal to no one. If we stay in CUSA, we won't be putting in a swimming pool in the HOF building anytime soon. LOL. We won't see hardly any of that money. I don't care what the theories are. That cash will evaporate like water in Cali.
The Sun Belt is going to be the better conference now. And it’s becoming more geographically friendly too. Neither of which you could say when we were in it.

If it plays out like I think it’s going to being in the Sun Belt is the better option. Marshall and USM saw it and have been working on it all year. ODU I could see eventually leaving for the AAC. And maybe Texas St ends up in the MWC or AAC. But I do think the SBC is now going to be the top one or two G5 conferences. But the chance at either would be better than the MAC. It’s just ironic that my preference would now be the SBC over he AAC since they added the three Texas schools.

There is no doubt in my mind that ESPN is in the MAC's ear saying take MT and WKU. The mouse wants CUSA gone. They want inventory for them and no one else and know if the two of us leave, it will be much more difficult for CUSA to sustain anything with only 5 schools even in FBS now. And that is if Liberty and NMSU still come on board if we do leave.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Agree. Sign this thing and bring stability to this.

Dave, stability doesn’t mean much if you have to live in the wrong place from henceforth. I mean China is stable but it’s still a communist state where you give up your freedom (i.e. GOR as the analogy).

This would be beyond ideal for everyone, but it's a pipe dream. It would require too many people to swallow their pride and egos.
Agreed. I think those are three very solid conferences as well. Best for the athletic departments, players, fans, etc. Only people that don't think it is best are the ones making the decisions. Add the current MAC and MWC to that and you would have 5 regional and strong conferences in the "G5".

Yes, just like China. I heard that if the men's basketball team doesn't improve into the top 200 in the RPI in the MAC, the entire athletic program will be sent to work in a forced labor prison in Qincheng (maximum-security, located in the Changping District) to work 18 hours a day making K-cup machines for the Walmart Black Friday sale and discount air fryers for Costco and Best Buy. And don't think Central Michigan won't use that in negative recruiting. They are known to be ruthless.

And if forced prison labor is the result of joining the MAC? Each day at 6:30 a.m. the cell leader wakes everyone by clapping his hands to begin another routine day. Thirty men line up to brush their teeth while simultaneously using a single hole in the ground as a toilet.

If MTSU decides to stick with the new improved C-USA, everybody in the BRAA gets a new Tesla from the conference and tickets to the Super Bowl and Final Four. All expenses paid. First class. The pull out bleachers in the upstairs of Murphy Center are replaced with reclining theater seats. This all impresses all the 5-star recruits in every sport that MTSU sweeps the top recruiting class honors for every sport. Even the sports they don't field teams of.

Yes, just like China. I heard that if the men's basketball team doesn't improve into the top 200 in the RPI in the MAC, the entire athletic program will be sent to work in a forced labor prison in Qincheng (maximum-security, located in the Changping District) to work 18 hours a day making K-cup machines for the Walmart Black Friday sale and discount air fryers for Costco and Best Buy. And don't think Central Michigan won't use that in negative recruiting. They are known to be ruthless.

And if forced prison labor is the result of joining the MAC? Each day at 6:30 a.m. the cell leader wakes everyone by clapping his hands to begin another routine day. Thirty men line up to brush their teeth while simultaneously using a single hole in the ground as a toilet.

If MTSU decides to stick with the new improved C-USA, everybody in the BRAA gets a new Tesla from the conference and tickets to the Super Bowl and Final Four. All expenses paid. First class. The pull out bleachers in the upstairs of Murphy Center are replaced with reclining theater seats. This all impresses all the 5-star recruits in every sport that MTSU sweeps the top recruiting class honors for every sport. Even the sports they don't field teams of.

And I'm the one with blue blinders expecting rainbows and unicorns! LOL. Hilarious post

But stability. Thought it was the be all end all? You guys just proved how ludicrous the concept of stability is. It means absolutely nothing.

The only person who deserves forced labor is the head basketball coach. Can we just get him on chain gang duty and see if that helps?

GeeMel, you have to understand the Blue Raider mindset.
Suffice it to say, the following question and answer says it all:

How do you spell delusional?
M-T-S-U B-L-U-E R-A-I-D-E-R-S
My daughter had 2 degrees with honors from MTSU when she was twenty. Now she is working on a Global Biology masters from Miami (OH).**

Her husband has a business degree from MTSU. I'm an Ohio alum who lives in Rutherford County. There will be a ton of representation for the new improved MAC in this family and none of us are delusional.

**She is part of a prestigious Miami University program known as "Project Dragonfly"
https://projectdragonfly.miamioh.edu/

And just in case this merger becomes official, let's get something clear. Miami University is the one in the MAC. University of Miami is the one in the ACC. (ya know.... the Hurricanes). Another thing, Ohio Bobcats don't like Miami (OH) - this is their rival. They disparagingly call it "fiami." Most of them don't like Ohio State either - long story, you don't want to know.

I hope that all of those multiple degrees have translated to more than six figures.

They should because my bachelors from mtsu has been a gold mine.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
GeeMel, you have to understand the Blue Raider mindset.
Suffice it to say, the following question and answer says it all:

How do you spell delusional?
M-T-S-U B-L-U-E R-A-I-D-E-R-S
Not all blue raider fans, just this weird jaded off shoot of fans that do not support teams or attend events. Some contact potential recruits online and tell them to go to other programs. The only thing they are willing to do is post on this message board. Strange path they have chosen but whatever makes you happy, right?

Again, think the Mac will be great. Every game like a bowl game that we can all attend!

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I love it when people pull the old trick of taking isolated events or the behaviors or attitudes of a few and smearing a whole group of people with them. Bravo, well done. /s

I'd venture a guess that the vast majority around here are mostly quiet after having to endure the endlessly frustrating embarrassment of watching MT athletics uninspiringly led to empty seats and college sports irrelevance. I'd also guess that most continue to say little while watching the humiliation of MT athletics likely finally landing a reasonably decent conference affiliation because MT is a 2 for 1 deal with our closest and most hated rival. Believe me, it is a soul crushing experience having to admit WKU is helping save our bacon when most of us would rather be trash talking WKU. Suffice it to say, not everyone feels MT is lofty enough to be condescending to other schools or conferences.

I'll always talk trash on other schools and conferences. But I also accept and agree when said trash is directed back at me and MT.

But everyone also understands I still make trips to games because I enjoy rooting for my Blue Raiders and want to 100% support the players. I am proud of the diploma on my wall.

But I'm also not afraid to 100% not support the head of the staff, many of his assistants, as well as the AD and Pres.

I'd venture to say that is nearly 100% of us in a nutshell.

Not all blue raider fans, just this weird jaded off shoot of fans that do not support teams or attend events. Some contact potential recruits online and tell them to go to other programs. The only thing they are willing to do is post on this message board. Strange path they have chosen but whatever makes you happy, right?

Again, think the Mac will be great. Every game like a bowl game that we can all attend!
Considering we almost always play MAC teams in bowl games… that’s pretty accurate lol

My daughter had 2 degrees with honors from MTSU when she was twenty. Now she is working on a Global Biology masters from Miami (OH).**

Her husband has a business degree from MTSU. I'm an Ohio alum who lives in Rutherford County. There will be a ton of representation for the new improved MAC in this family and none of us are delusional.

**She is part of a prestigious Miami University program known as "Project Dragonfly"
https://projectdragonfly.miamioh.edu/

And just in case this merger becomes official, let's get something clear. Miami University is the one in the MAC. University of Miami is the one in the ACC. (ya know.... the Hurricanes). Another thing, Ohio Bobcats don't like Miami (OH) - this is their rival. They disparagingly call it "fiami." Most of them don't like Ohio State either - long story, you don't want to know.
My oldest niece is attending Ohio. The campus is beautiful there. I have a lot of family in the Dayton area.

To me this is extremely depressing. Not that I don't think the MAC has good teams or anything like that. It is depressing because we have fans actually excited we are going to the MAC. The MAC is consistently the worst conference in FBS. Not as far as performance on the field, but as far as facilities, fan support, budget, etc. I am not saying we don't fit perfectly in with that right now, but I thought the goal was to move up and now we are moving to a conference where what we have been complaining about for years is the norm. I know it is probably the best option right now because CUSA leadership is the biggest joke in the world, but forgive me if I am not jumping for joy. If CUSA leadership had a pulse they could have possibly kept Marshall and ODU by adding Liberty and JMU earlier. MTSU, WKU, Marshall, FIU, UTEP, ODU, La Tech, Liberty, JMU, and NMSU would be a pretty damn good conference. IF you wanted to get to 12 teams you could bring up a couple more FCS schools, but not necessary. What could have been with actual leadership.

I really don't meant to sound like I think we are better than the MAC. I know we are not too good for the MAC right now. The MAC may be too good for us as it stands. I just want to be too good for the MAC and I feel we will never be if we join the MAC. I hate that this is our best choice and we only have our leadership and the people who supported them to blame.

To me this is extremely depressing. Not that I don't think the MAC has good teams or anything like that. It is depressing because we have fans actually excited we are going to the MAC. The MAC is consistently the worst conference in FBS. Not as far as performance on the field, but as far as facilities, fan support, budget, etc. I am not saying we don't fit perfectly in with that right now, but I thought the goal was to move up and now we are moving to a conference where what we have been complaining about for years is the norm. I know it is probably the best option right now because CUSA leadership is the biggest joke in the world, but forgive me if I am not jumping for joy. If CUSA leadership had a pulse they could have possibly kept Marshall and ODU by adding Liberty and JMU earlier. MTSU, WKU, Marshall, FIU, UTEP, ODU, La Tech, Liberty, JMU, and NMSU would be a pretty damn good conference. IF you wanted to get to 12 teams you could bring up a couple more FCS schools, but not necessary. What could have been with actual leadership.

I really don't meant to sound like I think we are better than the MAC. I know we are not too good for the MAC right now. The MAC may be too good for us as it stands. I just want to be too good for the MAC and I feel we will never be if we join the MAC. I hate that this is our best choice and we only have our leadership and the people who supported them to blame.
Given the current leadership we have in place we should be thinking we are damn lucky to be having this opportunity.

Last edited:
quote:
Given the current leadership we have in place we should be thinking we are damn luck(y) to be having this opportunity.

^ ^ What HE said ^ ^

(I looked at a prominent WKU forum and don't see the grousing about this impending move)

You know what Bill Shakespeare said about it in Hamlet? About those who "doth protest too much" - ?? (they could end up "hoist with their own petard")

Of all of the mistakes that McPhee and Massaro have made - and the list is too long to state - this will go down as their biggest. It will be interesting to revisit this thread three or four years from now when the same people supporting this are realizing what an epic screw up it was to lock ourselves into the MAC for a long term commitment.

I'm going to be interested to hear from CM how they intend to:
1) Make up the $4-$6M in revenue that we are now going to forfeit over the next two years from this decision.

2) Not only how to get back to a net of zero, but how they actually intend to do anything facility-wise given we've walked away from at least an additional $10M over the next few years.

3) How our coaches are supposed to forge new recruiting grounds given we will no longer be relevant in any of the southern media markets.

4) Grow a fan base by playing programs that MT has never had an ounce of history with.

I’ve heard a lot of people trashing the MAC schools facilities. It seems like a lot are dumping serious money into their football programs. I know Buffalo completed an indoor practice facility, EMU and CMU have completed new football ops centers recently. Seems like we better get to moving dirt or we will be behind in a conference most think have trash facilities. Here is my thread on the MAC page with more info and links:

I have seen NIU's and WMU up close and they have great facilities for football. NIUs indoor and Op's center was on par with Michigan States at the time, just smaller weight room that MSU had just remodeled theirs

Reactions: GeeMel
Of all of the mistakes that McPhee and Massaro have made - and the list is too long to state - this will go down as their biggest. It will be interesting to revisit this thread three or four years from now when the same people supporting this are realizing what an epic screw up it was to lock ourselves into the MAC for a long term commitment.

I'm going to be interested to hear from CM how they intend to:
1) Make up the $4-$6M in revenue that we are now going to forfeit over the next two years from this decision.

2) Not only how to get back to a net of zero, but how they actually intend to do anything facility-wise given we've walked away from at least an additional $10M over the next few years.

3) How our coaches are supposed to forge new recruiting grounds given we will no longer be relevant in any of the southern media markets.

4) Grow a fan base by playing programs that MT has never had an ounce of history with.

1. I trust the bean counters who have way more info than us message board ya-hoos to figure it all out. It's not my money. Plus, this isn't a 2 year decision, this is a decision that could pay off for a decade or more.

2. See above. Plus, I don't believe any of that money would be used for facilities, and if it were, then there's no reason to believe it'll actually payoff in any meaningful way considering the embarrassing state of the Conference we'd be in. No fancy new IPF is worth being associated with Liberty or stuck in a conference spread out across half the continent. It's just as likely that the cost of playing in the new CUSA will suck up any windfall we actually maybe get.

3. They'll be fine. "New" CUSA isn't really southern anymore either. I'm not so sure recruits are going to flock to MTSU because we have 1 game every 2 years in a southeastern state - unless they're just dying to play Jacksonville State on Facebook or something.

4. We don't have any history with anyone in CUSA either - unless you're talking about that historic 20 year rivalry with FIU. We've no history with Liberty. We've no rivalry with UConn, The teams we have a history with are either in the 'Belt or going to the MAC (WKU).

I know it is probably the best option right now because CUSA leadership is the biggest joke in the world

There you go. We're just making the best of it.

Reactions: Hop45
I have seen NIU's and WMU up close and they have great facilities for football. NIUs indoor and Op's center was on par with Michigan States at the time, just smaller weight room that MSU had just remodeled theirs
Have you seen Ohio's basketball arena? No pull-out high school style bleachers anywhere to be found.

convo-interior.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT