ADVERTISEMENT

MAC talk

JMU's athletic budget is very impressive. They are going to be a solid FBS program.
MTSU (89th Nationally in all of D1) is a certainly a case of money doesn't always equal success

I watched a MAC game last night and it was quite entertaining. Low attendance, but we are used to seeing that. Decent level of talent.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
You do know JMU is about to go FBS, right?

Also, that is why there are many people fighting for a true playoff at the FBS level. The real solution to the problem.

This isn’t even a discussion, the MAC has way more tv exposure than the entire FCS. Nationally televised games this week below.

MAC this week (5 games):
ESPN2 two games
ESPNU two games
CBSSN one game

Entire FCS this week(63 games):
ESPN2 one
ESPNU one game
Is success the number of times on national TV or actually the number of games winning? if so, lets just do independent and play nothing but P5 schools

Just saw this on the C-USA board posted by a Marshall fan.

WKU and MTSU to the MAC on Hold

Just heard that the WKU/MTSU to the MAC has hit a sticking point. Supposedly the MAC is wanting to lock WKU and MTSU into signing a long-term 25 year GOR commitment to the conference. Will be interesting to see where this goes. Maybe WKU/MTSU can negotiate and knock it down some? That is crazy long.

This isn’t even a discussion, the MAC has way more tv exposure than the entire FCS. Nationally televised games this week below.

MAC this week (5 games):
ESPN2 two games
ESPNU two games
CBSSN one game

Entire FCS this week(63 games):
ESPN2 one
ESPNU one game
Nationally televised does not matter near as much as it used to. For $6/month I can watch any game on ESPN+ from anywhere in the world that has internet. Televised or streamed are the same thing. I am not saying streamed on Facebook garbage, but on platforms like ESPN+, CBSSports app, HuluLive, etc. To watch a game "televised" on ESPN I turn on my TV, go to the ESPN app on my smart tv, and then select the game on ESPN. To watch a game on ESPN+ I do the exact same thing. I guess I could also go to my Hulu Live app and watch from there, but either way it is streaming over the internet.

Just heard that the WKU/MTSU to the MAC has hit a sticking point. Supposedly the MAC is wanting to lock WKU and MTSU into signing a long-term 25 year GOR commitment to the conference. Will be interesting to see where this goes. Maybe WKU/MTSU can negotiate and knock it down some? That is crazy long.
Wow

You do know JMU is about to go FBS, right?

Also, that is why there are many people fighting for a true playoff at the FBS level. The real solution to the problem.
Yea I know and I agree with you second point. Like I said, I don't really want to drop down, but it is frustrating seeing a team like Cincy left out. If they can't get into the playoff this year, I don't see a path forward. Independence would be interesting, but how many P5 road games would we have to play to make up for lost revenue from a conference? Play 6 P5 and 6 G5 games/year would be a stronger schedule than we would play in any G5 conference. Two teams from SEC/ACC, two from B1G/Big 12, and one from Pac 12 a year would be sweet. Remaining games be local G5 schools.

I don't really want to drop down, but I ask why be FBS if all we can do is win our conference and play in a bowl that does not lead to a championship? Why play at a level where you are left out of competing for the top prize no matter how good you are or what you do?

Because it’s not a real championship.

Its a championship of teams that won’t compete at a higher level. It’s like the NIT.

It’s not a whole lot different than a conference championship at the FBS level. It’s a title won by a defined subset of teams.

Id much prefer a conference title in FBS than a “national” title in FCS.

Because it’s not a real championship.

Its a championship of teams that won’t compete at a higher level. It’s like the NIT.

It’s not a whole lot different than a conference championship at the FBS level. It’s a title won by a defined subset of teams.

Id much prefer a conference title in FBS than a “national” title in FCS.
So Div II and Div III national champions are not "real" national champions? I guess in high school the only "real" state championship is in the highest classification in the state?

I mean, there are several FBS teams I have never watched not sure what your point is here. As for talent, there are 120 players on NFL rosters from the MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt combined and 97 from the FCS. I wouldnt say the talent difference is that significant.

Attendance: 2019 CUSA averaged 18,929 and MAC 15,530...meanwhile 10 FCS schools had attendance over 16,000. Remember in 2018 when there were zero MTSU home games with more than 10,000.

All those #s prove is that the lower end of the FBS is more than twice as talented as the entire FCS.

If the entire FCS of 128 teams only produced 97 NFL players, but the 40-ish teams in the MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt alone produced more than 1/3rd more, than your odds of seeing high level talent in any given FCS game are much smaller than in a random MAC game.

Attendance is fickle- SHSU is #1 ranked FCs team coming off a title, and they barely draw 8k outside of a one off game vs SFA

I think it was CBS Sports that reported that there was some hesitancy on someone's part. Some negotiations are to be expected, well, at least on WKU's part. Not so much on M&M.

• Wow
Reactions: Hop45
So Div II and Div III national champions are not "real" national champions? I guess in high school the only "real" state championship is in the highest classification in the state?
they are in the record books, so they are real. MT doesn't have a Natty at any level. So i guess when MT was playing fcs they didn't play for a real title and kept getting disappointed. I guess WKU, EKU don't have real titles... he needs to stop with tha.

I pay no attention to any of those. The last high school football game I paid attention to was the last one I played in in 1996.

And I venture to guess most of your average sports fan doesn’t either.

We’re selling an entertainment product here. It’s not a stretch to claim that lower level football is far less of a draw than FBS football.

All those #s prove is that the lower end of the FBS is more than twice as talented as the entire FCS.

If the entire FCS of 128 teams only produced 97 NFL players, but the 40-ish teams in the MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt alone produced more than 1/3rd more, than your odds of seeing high level talent in any given FCS game are much smaller than in a random MAC game.

Attendance is fickle- SHSU is #1 ranked FCs team coming off a title, and they barely draw 8k outside of a one off game vs SFA
I believe their stadium only holds 10,000 people, but not 100% sure. I am not arguing that FCS is as good as FBS. I do think there are a certain number of teams at the FCS level that are just as good or better than most G5 teams and have better facilities, coaching, etc. I do not actually want to move down to the FCS, but I do want to compete at a level where we would not be excluded from the highest prize just because the conference we compete in. We are already considered a lower level by many. I know numerous people who think it is okay to be a fan of MTSU and an SEC school because they are two different levels. I am not talking about people that have affiliations with two different universities. I am saying ones that think MTSU and Alabama are not on the same level of football.

they are in the record books, so they are real. MT doesn't have a Natty at any level. So i guess when MT was playing fcs they didn't play for a real title and kept getting disappointed. I guess WKU, EKU don't have real titles... he needs to stop with tha.
They don’t need my validation.

They do need my $$$s and if they want a chance at them, then they need to be playing football at the highest level.

I pay no attention to any of those. The last high school football game I paid attention to was the last one I played in in 1996.

And I venture to guess most of your average sports fan doesn’t either.

We’re selling an entertainment product here. It’s not a stretch to claim that lower level football is far less of a draw than FBS football.
Ferris State is a Division II school in Michigan that has the same amount of players in the NFL as we do. Pretty good for a "high school" team.

Ferris State is a Division II school in Michigan that has the same amount of players in the NFL as we do. Pretty good for a "high school" team.

We suck at football, we have a dead program and a horrible coach. I'm not sure comparing anyone to us as a validation of success is a good comparison.

Reactions: Hop45
Some aren't highly recruited, some are FBS ready, some want to get all the film they can and play from day 1. I can speak for my son, he had FBS offers from MAC schools and his mom wouldn't let him go because of distance and being able to come to games. When he had full rides at all school. He got a late offer after he enrolled for the spring from Memphis, because the new dline coach had recruited him while at Buffalo. Your argument is weak, there are a lot FBS players that aren't ready for FBS either and they never contribute. I see scouts at FCS schools just as much as G5 schools.
Hence why I said there are diamonds in the rough. I never mentioned FBS players not ready at the FBS level but you are correct.
Point is there is a distinct difference between FCS and FBS. I've heard some argue, not you, that the FCS champion could beat the majority of G5. I beg to differ as the talent level is much different.
Good luck to your son.

I believe their stadium only holds 10,000 people, but not 100% sure. I am not arguing that FCS is as good as FBS. I do think there are a certain number of teams at the FCS level that are just as good or better than most G5 teams and have better facilities, coaching, etc. I do not actually want to move down to the FCS, but I do want to compete at a level where we would not be excluded from the highest prize just because the conference we compete in. We are already considered a lower level by many. I know numerous people who think it is okay to be a fan of MTSU and an SEC school because they are two different levels. I am not talking about people that have affiliations with two different universities. I am saying ones that think MTSU and Alabama are not on the same level of football.

They may not "think" MTSU and Alabama are on the same level of football. But if you drop down to FCS, you just prove them right.

If you win an FCS "title", but no one cares - then it's not a whole lot different in not winning a title at the higher level.

At least competing at the highest level gives you a chance a some notariety on a week to week basis, a chance to see more talented teams and more interesting games, and a chance to play for at least major conference bragging rights. The MAC may not be the SEC, but it's a heck of a lot better than the SoCon.

You guys really hate the idea of playing Ohio on ESPN more than playing ETSU in a bubble on their campus in front of 3k people completely untelevised?

They may not "think" MTSU and Alabama are on the same level of football. But if you drop down to FCS, you just prove them right.

If you win an FCS "title", but no one cares - then it's not a whole lot different in not winning a title at the higher level.

At least competing at the highest level gives you a chance a some notariety on a week to week basis, a chance to see more talented teams and more interesting games, and a chance to play for at least major conference bragging rights. The MAC may not be the SEC, but it's a heck of a lot better than the SoCon.

You guys really hate the idea of playing Ohio on ESPN more than playing ETSU in a bubble on their campus in front of 3k people completely untelevised?
Just like you wouldn't compare teams to us, I am not talking about ETSU or the SoCon when I am discussing FCS. I don't hate the idea of playing Ohio on ESPN more than playing anyone anywhere. This is not about playing in the MAC. To the people that matter in college football the MAC is no different than the Missouri Valley Conference. Neither champion deserves a chance to play for the national championship. Again, I am not sure how many times I have to say this but I do not want to drop down. I mentioned it as something I think about sometimes because of how frustrating the playoff rankings were. The talent level of the top tier FCS teams is not much different at all then the vast majority of the G5 teams. The only difference may be depth and that is because FCS teams are allowed fewer scholarships. Sam Houston State, North Dakota State, James Madison, etc. would beat us right now without much issue.

I don't really want to drop down, but I ask why be FBS if all we can do is win our conference and play in a bowl that does not lead to a championship? Why play at a level where you are left out of competing for the top prize no matter how good you are or what you do?
Just because the University has garbage leadership, you don't change what the school does. You find good leadership.

MT can do what NIU did in 2012 or what WMU did in 2016 but that probably won't happen until the wretched employees currently in place are gone.

Looking just now at unopinionated and unbiased Real Time RPI and noticed these interesting points.

Of the top 130 rated college football teams, ZERO right now are FCS. Nada. Goose egg.

The first FBS team behind the top three FCS teams is F.I.U. of C-USA

MTSU would be the 7th best team in the MAC at this time. Not great but not horrible. WKU would be sixth. Not great but not horrible.**

**This would indicate a good fit.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTOleBlue

Same poster who said MT was not being considered by the MAC at the same time as actual sportswriters saying we were. I imagine there’s a long term GOR commitment but probably not 25 years.

Not even the ACC did that many years and even theirs is ridiculous. I totally understand the MAC wanting to keep us. If they are going to do this they want to be safe and not let what happened to CUSA happen to them. From a business stand point it makes sense. But 25 is too much.

I'd say make it 10 and $1m entry fee. MAC counters at 15. Counter back at 12 and entry fee waived. Done deal.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I mean if this were the ACC and there was $15M to $20M annual distribution that's one thing. Sign me up. But to go to a conference that had paid less revenues than that God-awful Judy-run conference is perplexing.

I mean I get that they want to protect their equity, but 25 years is absurd.

I would rather play in a conference with ETSU, Tech or Chattanooga than the MAC or CUSA.

I would rather play in the playoffs with a chance for a championship than play for a shot at San Jose State in the Arizona Bowl or maybe playing in a non-championship bowl game against a disappointed P5 school that is not interested in playing is.

I cared just as much about MT athletics when we were FCS as I do now.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I cared just as much about MT athletics when we were FCS as I do now.
I think you would be the exception.

I have no real illusion about MTSU beating Alabama in the playoffs and hoisting the NC trophy.

But I look at what WMU did in 2016 and I think I'd be happy with that - undefeated regular season and conference title, Cotton Bowl game against Wisconsin, got to see some program great NFL players, ended up ranked in the top 15, lots of TV games.

To be completely honest, and not trying to be flippant, but the FCS is just not worth my time.

I was thinking how funny would it be that after all of this, Massaro turns down the MAC invite.

And if the MAC won't come of that considerably then he really doesn't have a choice. That GOR length is longer than we've been in FBS.

A reminder - 96 Ls.

LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLL

• Haha
Reactions: MT Glenn
I think you would be the exception.

I have no real illusion about MTSU beating Alabama in the playoffs and hoisting the NC trophy.

But I look at what WMU did in 2016 and I think I'd be happy with that - undefeated regular season and conference title, Cotton Bowl game against Wisconsin, got to see some program great NFL players, ended up ranked in the top 15, lots of TV games.

To be completely honest, and not trying to be flippant, but the FCS is just not worth my time.
I get it. And it looks like only 2 or 3 of us feel that way.

MT was FCS for 2 years I was in school. I went to as many games those first 2 years as I did the last two.

serious question - When the P5 finally split from the G5, will you still follow MT?

25 year GOR? LOL

Not only are we going to the pit of mediocrity, but it looks like we'll be there for the remainder of some of our lives and likely longer.

Why would the university lock itself into such a position? I'd rather go independent than be held captive in a northern/mid-west conference.

So much for better leadership replacing Massaro/McPhee and fixing our problems. These clowns are about to put us in mediocrity prison for a quarter century

I personally will not be treating random message board posts from someone who has been wrong recently as gospel. A tweet from a connected sportswriter, okay maybe a little bit more meat to it... but let's just sit back and watch what happens. As has been pointed out over and over here, M&M will do something ridiculous and bad along the way. Maybe agreeing to a 25 year GOR (insane) would be that thing. Who knows? We'll just have to see what happens.

From the same poster who "broke" this: "Heard late last night from some "friends in the know" on the MAC side that there is some consideration in going to 14 schools in a model that included Western Kentucky but DID NOT include MTSU." Spoiler alert ... WRONG

I personally will not be treating random message board posts from someone who has been wrong recently as gospel. A tweet from a connected sportswriter, okay maybe a little bit more meat to it... but let's just sit back and watch what happens. As has been pointed out over and over here, M&M will do something ridiculous and bad along the way. Maybe agreeing to a 25 year GOR (insane) would be that thing. Who knows? We'll just have to see what happens.

Right. Wherever we end up I'm sure we will get a bad deal. 25 year GOR in the MAC, or staying in CUSA and getting 20% of exit fee's, or the like......I'm sure our leadership will find a way to fail us somehow. They always do. It may not be easily noticeable at first but will eventually manifest.

Right. Wherever we end up I'm sure we will get a bad deal. 25 year GOR in the MAC, or staying in CUSA and getting 20% of exit fee's, or the like......I'm sure our leadership will find a way to fail us somehow. They always do. It may not be easily noticeable at first but will eventually manifest.
I find it very suspicious that Liberty suddenly decided "Never mind, we'll join after all!" What crazy percentage of the exit fees will they (and FCS programs) be getting from everyone who is leaving? Who knows if we stay what the divvying up of money will look like?

Watching a little MACtion right now. The Skillet looks better than the stadium at Kent St. At least from the views I have seen.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
serious question - When the P5 finally split from the G5, will you still follow MT?
Maybe. I don't know. How much of a split will there be? Who knows at this point.

I can say that if that split comes to fruition, i'd rather be with the G5 teams like the MAC/Belt/AAC/MWC than with the FCS teams. Whatever they manage to carve out of that is still going to be better than being just another regional small-time nobody indistinguishable from Austin Peay and Tennessee Tech and ETSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT