ADVERTISEMENT

MAC talk

I know it is probably the best option right now because CUSA leadership is the biggest joke in the world

There you go. We're just making the best of it.
I agree, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. My other alma mater keeps looking better and better.

1. I trust the bean counters who have way more info than us message board ya-hoos to figure it all out. It's not my money. Plus, this isn't a 2 year decision, this is a decision that could pay off for a decade or more.

2. See above. Plus, I don't believe any of that money would be used for facilities, and if it were, then there's no reason to believe it'll actually payoff in any meaningful way considering the embarrassing state of the Conference we'd be in. No fancy new IPF is worth being associated with Liberty or stuck in a conference spread out across half the continent. It's just as likely that the cost of playing in the new CUSA will suck up any windfall we actually maybe get.

3. They'll be fine. "New" CUSA isn't really southern anymore either. I'm not so sure recruits are going to flock to MTSU because we have 1 game every 2 years in a southeastern state - unless they're just dying to play Jacksonville State on Facebook or something.

4. We don't have any history with anyone in CUSA either - unless you're talking about that historic 20 year rivalry with FIU. We've no history with Liberty. We've no rivalry with UConn, The teams we have a history with are either in the 'Belt or going to the MAC (WKU).
I didn't and wasn't making any comparisons the two situations.

Again, I still don't believe C-USA would be our long term home. But whatever future options would have been available we are are going to be signing that option away.

And if you don't think we would use our increased distributions for anything worthy then what the hell are we doing? If you really believe that then why be FBS at all? I mean I don't understand this mindset. This is the most little middle decision we can make so of course we are making it. No one wants to piss excellence. Just plod along in a meaningless existence. This is basically what you're saying. But more importantly how is it you trust the bean counters to make the right decision here but wouldn't trust them with the money? Again, makes no sense and is very contradictory.

I also don't understand the disdain for Liberty. They sure did beat our ass.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73

Again, I still don't believe C-USA would be our long term home. But whatever future options would have been available we are are going to be signing that option away.

And if you don't think we would use our increased distributions for anything worthy then what the hell are we doing? If you really believe that then why be FBS at all? I mean I don't understand this mindset. This is the most little middle decision we can make so of course we are making it. No one wants to piss excellence. Just plod along in a meaningless existence. This is basically what you're saying. But more importantly how is it you trust the bean counters to make the right decision here but wouldn't trust them with the money? Again, makes no sense and is very contradictory.

If the MAC school presidients ratify this today, it's a done deal. A group of MAC reps are headed to the game tomorrow. Something is about to go down.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I also don't understand the disdain for Liberty.

The disdain for so-called "Liberty" - ??

"Liberty" students ask for investigation into sexual assault claims​

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Liberty" could lose tax-exempt status​

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Liberty" threatens disciplinary action against rape victims who come forward.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-Executive Sues "Liberty" Over Wrongful Termination Amid Sexual Assault Probe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business partner of Falwells says affair with evangelical power couple spanned seven years​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for all the Fox News fans out there...

Jerry Falwell Jr., wife allegedly ranked students with who they most wanted to have sex: report​

The disdain for so-called "Liberty" - ??

"Liberty" students ask for investigation into sexual assault claims​

"Liberty" could lose tax-exempt status​

"Liberty" threatens disciplinary action against rape victims who come forward.

Ex-Executive Sues "Liberty" Over Wrongful Termination Amid Sexual Assault Probe

Business partner of Falwells says affair with evangelical power couple spanned seven years​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for all the Fox News fans out there...

Jerry Falwell Jr., wife allegedly ranked students with who they most wanted to have sex: report​

Falwell is gone.

Well, I hope this works out for MT. I still love my alma mater.

For me at least, there just isn't single ounce of blood in my body that believes we benefit from this move. I've tried my best to look at it objectively and what few benefits it may bring I can easily counter, which is why I'm able to see a different future. I have a vision of the future. Of course, I could be completely wrong but realignment is one I've understood for a long, long time.

And I get the sense from a lot of you that your voice in support of this isn't because the MAC is where we should be but its actually based on the fear from the uncertainty that stems from our current conundrum. That's another red flag for me, because I don't see people being gung ho about the MAC. It's being - well this is better than the other option. And I just don't believe that's the right approach to make such a significant decision - what is basically going to amount to a forever decision. So, I think I'm just going to leave it at that and say I hope it works out. Even though I know deep in my heart and mind we're going to regret this.

None of this is ideal and I agree whole heartedly about that but this move at least keeps us around.

This new CUSA whatever it is may or may not be around. None of the CUSA adds are remotely official. Nothing has been oficially announced other than the invite. Unless you watch Stadium, you won't see em much anyway. I have no faith in Judy and there is no talk in getting rid of her which is enough to leave.

I also think trying something different is better than doing nothing. We've tried that. If the MAC invite happens and we didn't take it, there would have been mass criticism. No matter what we do, there is criticism. MAC is firmly in with ESPN. CUSA ain't. That is yet another reason.

What if we stayed in CUSA but got leap frogged again with the AAC? Then what? We would be "frothing at the mouth" mad at the admin for not jumping to the MAC. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

None of this is ideal and I agree whole heartedly about that but this move at least keeps us around.

This new CUSA whatever it is may or may not be around. None of the CUSA adds are remotely official. Nothing has been oficially announced other than the invite. Unless you watch Stadium, you won't see em much anyway. I have no faith in Judy and there is no talk in getting rid of her which is enough to leave.

I also think trying something different is better than doing nothing. We've tried that. If the MAC invite happens and we didn't take it, there would have been mass criticism. No matter what we do, there is criticism. MAC is firmly in with ESPN. CUSA ain't. That is yet another reason.

What if we stayed in CUSA but got leap frogged again with the AAC? Then what? We would be "frothing at the mouth" mad at the admin for not jumping to the MAC. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
I hate ESPN and don't want every conference "firmly" in with them. I think that is what has caused the biggest problem with college football. I don't understand why you all think it is any different to stream games on ESPN+, Stadium, CBSSports, etc. The fewer people have satellites or cable, the less it is going to matter. I feel too many people are clinging to the old way of watching sports. ESPN has too much power in this and it is ruining the game. Our media deal was not terrible because we were not on ESPN. It was terrible because they tried to be too innovative with Facebook and other garbage.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Just going to respond to this part. There are too many what ifs. And I'm going to say this as abruptly as I can. If this were Dr. Walkers mindset back in the 90's we would still be in the OVC. And there were a ton of people with the same mindset that's saying go to the MAC that wanted to stay I-AA. Exact same thinking. Probably even some of the same people.

This isn't all on McPhee and Massaro. We have an apathetic fan base that doesn't pressure leadership for their decisions. We come on message boards and bitch about it but that's about it. We have a tendency as a fan base to accept the least path of resistance, the least friction. As alums/fan base/etc we are somewhat culpable, because we don't demand excellence. We are the type of fan base that accepts the wrong conference invitation because it's safe and easy. We don't ever make the hard choices at MT. And as a base we don't press for the hard choices to be made. As I said before I just don't operate and think that way. I want to be better. Sports is all about competition. In the spirit of competition, this feels like settling.

I hate ESPN and don't want every conference "firmly" in with them. I think that is what has caused the biggest problem with college football. I don't understand why you all think it is any different to stream games on ESPN+, Stadium, CBSSports, etc. The fewer people have satellites or cable, the less it is going to matter. I feel too many people are clinging to the old way of watching sports. ESPN has too much power in this and it is ruining the game. Our media deal was not terrible because we were not on ESPN. It was terrible because they tried to be too innovative with Facebook and other garbage.

You don't have to like ESPN, but like it or not, they're the gold standard.

Not everyone has super fast internet, not everyone has cut the cable cord. For whatever reason, half the CBS streams are junk. Not everyone wants to stream sports from some low-rent broadcaster who's production value is similar to that of a high school visual arts club. Not everyone wants 37 different tiles on their tablet and channels to find some obscure game once a week. Or heck, maybe you go out to eat and want to watch the game - it's going to be easier to find a place that's showing ESPN than whatever CUSA is on now.

I acknowledge and respect that you don't like ESPN, they have ticked me off as well for a variety of reasons - but whatever personal axes to grind we have with ESPN - but the program will undoubtedly be better off with a conference that works with ESPN rather than the only one that doesn't.

Well, I hope this works out for MT. I still love my alma mater.

For me at least, there just isn't single ounce of blood in my body that believes we benefit from this move. I've tried my best to look at it objectively and what few benefits it may bring I can easily counter, which is why I'm able to see a different future. I have a vision of the future. Of course, I could be completely wrong but realignment is one I've understood for a long, long time.

And I get the sense from a lot of you that your voice in support of this isn't because the MAC is where we should be but its actually based on the fear from the uncertainty that stems from our current conundrum. That's another red flag for me, because I don't see people being gung ho about the MAC. It's being - well this is better than the other option. And I just don't believe that's the right approach to make such a significant decision - what is basically going to amount to a forever decision. So, I think I'm just going to leave it at that and say I hope it works out. Even though I know deep in my heart and mind we're going to regret this.

For me at least, there just isn't single ounce of blood in my body that believes we benefit from this move. I've tried my best to look at it objectively and what few benefits it may bring I can easily counter, which is why I'm able to see a different future. I have a vision of the future. Of course, I could be completely wrong but realignment is one I've understood for a long, long time

Explain it again for us simpletons.

Please use your extensive understanding of conference re-alignment to lay out the reasons you that's only evident to you with your singular "vision of the future" that the 'Belt or AAC is a realistic option within 2-3 years.

I'll be here, waiting :)

You don't have to like ESPN, but like it or not, they're the gold standard.

Not everyone has super fast internet, not everyone has cut the cable cord. For whatever reason, half the CBS streams are junk. Not everyone wants to stream sports from some low-rent broadcaster who's production value is similar to that of a high school visual arts club. Not everyone wants 37 different tiles on their tablet and channels to find some obscure game once a week. Or heck, maybe you go out to eat and want to watch the game - it's going to be easier to find a place that's showing ESPN than whatever CUSA is on now.

I acknowledge and respect that you don't like ESPN, they have ticked me off as well for a variety of reasons - but whatever personal axes to grind we have with ESPN - but the program will undoubtedly be better off with a conference that works with ESPN rather than the only one that doesn't.
I am not saying have a TV/streaming deal like we currently do. I am just saying that even with ESPN in the MAC most our games will be streamed on ESPN3/+, so if you don't have good internet you will still have issues. CBS broadcasts AFC football games, so we know they can do a good job. My biggest preference would be Fox Sports. When I say I don't want ESPN I am not saying I want Facebook/BeIn Sports. My ideal situation would be every conference outside of the SEC and ACC (since locked in) cuts ties completely with ESPN and the SEC/ACC, but that definitely won't happen. ESPN is why we are discussing the move to the MAC right now.

Ever watched ABC? Or a Pixar movie. Or Marvel anything. LucasFilm. Touchstone. A&E. History Channel. Lifetime. Took the kids Disney-land/-world/EPCOT/Animal Kingdom.

Who do you think you were doing business with when you bought those Disney movies on VHS or DVD depending on your age and your kid's age(s). People know it's all the same company. They can pretend to hate ESPN all they want but will be watching it tonight and tomorrow and tomorrow night, etc.etc.etc.

And don't think for a minute if some other conglomerate was calling the shots for sports that it would be doing things any different. We live in a society ruled by greed. If you didn't already know that, then this would be a good time to wake up and smell the Starbucks/DunkinDonuts/Tim Hortons/McCafe/other corporate coffee here.

Ever watched ABC? Or a Pixar movie. Or Marvel anything. LucasFilm. Touchstone. A&E. History Channel. Lifetime. Took the kids Disney-land/-world/EPCOT/Animal Kingdom.

Who do you think you were doing business with when you bought those Disney movies on VHS or DVD depending on your age and your kid's age(s). People know it's all the same company. They can pretend to hate ESPN all they want but will be watching it tonight and tomorrow and tomorrow night, etc.etc.etc.

And don't think for a minute if some other conglomerate was calling the shots for sports that it would be doing things any different. We live in a society ruled by greed. If you didn't already know that, then this would be a good time to wake up and smell the Starbucks/DunkinDonuts/Tim Hortons/McCafe/other corporate coffee here.
I agree we are a society ruled by greed. That is why I don't like one company having all the power. I have Disney+/HULU/ESPN+. I can still hate ESPN and what is going on even though I watch it because they have things I want to watch. I really do hate going to Disney World. Took my kids there for the first time this year and it is horrible. I hate our athletics department right now, but I still watch because I love the torture. I really don't know why you think you have to argue against everything we say that does not affirm the greatness of the MAC and their "amazing" deal with ESPN. I think it is reasonable for some of us to not like the move to the MAC for various reasons just like you probably wouldn't like if Ohio were in this situation and had to move to the Sun Belt or whatever because the MAC was raided by the AAC.

You're correct that I don't HAVE to debate this impending move but it sure is fun to anyway.

Then after the announcement tomorrow at halftime, there won't be much for me to talk about.

Yea, I don't like espn calling so many shots, but I will still likely watch at a few minutes of some game on espn this weekend. I'll likely even lose some of my own self respect. :oops:

But his stench lives on. Most of those articles are recent.
As I said in another post somewhere, they got rid of Falwell, but we're still stuck with 7 wood.

To go with the reasoning of the stench lives on, then you should immediately start your campaign against MTSU joining the MAC.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Like I said, not ideal but ESPN is gonna still be the big dog whether we like it or not. Might as well run with the big dog then stay on the porch.

Reactions: coachchia
Even good ole Domer Napsnider up the street showers once't a week, even if he don't 'specially need it.

For me at least, there just isn't single ounce of blood in my body that believes we benefit from this move. I've tried my best to look at it objectively and what few benefits it may bring I can easily counter, which is why I'm able to see a different future. I have a vision of the future. Of course, I could be completely wrong but realignment is one I've understood for a long, long time

Explain it again for us simpletons.

Please use your extensive understanding of conference re-alignment to lay out the reasons you that's only evident to you with your singular "vision of the future" that the 'Belt or AAC is a realistic option within 2-3 years.

I'll be here, waiting :)

No. You aren't worth my time with your condescending bullshit. Keep waiting.

No. You aren't worth my time with your condescending bullshit. Keep waiting.
Don’t do it for me then. I’m clearly not worth your time.

But I’m sure a few folks here would benefit from your explanation, your vast experience and expertise and your inside knowledge of this round of conference realignment.

They’re surely worth your time, right?

So, let them hear it.

Watched a Mac game on prime time the last two nights I think. Very enjoyable high scoring affairs. Reminds me of the old cusa games. Can’t wait to get into the macation!!!

Watched a Mac game on prime time the last two nights I think. Very enjoyable high scoring affairs. Reminds me of the old cusa games. Can’t wait to get into the macation!!
But-but-but.... it's the same as communist China. And by the way, did you hear about that time they asked Melania what her opinion was about Red China? She said it looks good on a black tablecloth.

But-but-but.... it's the same as communist China. And by the way, did you hear about that time they asked Melania what her opinion was about Red China? She said it looks good on a black tablecloth.
Stop it with the rainbows and unicorns. We only allow pessimism and depression around here

This is basically what you're saying. But more importantly how is it you trust the bean counters to make the right decision here but wouldn't trust them with the money? Again, makes no sense and is very contradictory.

To continue this - It's not that I don't trust them because they're incompetent.

I don't trust them to use the funds because, for whatever reason, the powers have decided that fielding a championship football program and the investment required to do so is not their paramount priority. I don't have to like it, but they don't appear to be asking me what I think.

So, to sum up - I have every confidence in the MT administration to make the best decision to keep the lights on and keep the bulk of all sports funded to the necessary levels and keep the program in the black.

But, it's also apparent that they've decided not the enter into the football facility arms race around college football. So, I don't trust them to use any funds gained to invest in the football program (really the only program I care about) to the extreme (some would say) levels needed to really have a consistent championship contending program.

The MT admin is not stupid, we just don't share the same vision or desire.

I have a lot of patience with trolls, but you've posted a lot of condescending bullsh*t and you need to return to where ever you were posting and stay there. No more.

My 2 cents with all this MAC/C-USA talk is simple...

These new schools that have just joined C-USA:
1) New Mexico State
2) Sam Houston
3) Jacksonville State
4) Liberty, Liberty, Lib-er-ty, Liberty

I think JSU and SH are only using CUSA as a springboard to get their foot in the door to the FBS. I totally get it. Plus, give Liberty, Sam Houston and Jacksonville State some time and as soon as the Sun Belt or the AAC comes calling they will be gone in a heartbeat.

I think New Mexico State is simply looking at this as a lifeline to stay afloat with their athletic department. Split some revenue money they wouldn't of had previously plus hopefully have an opportunity down the road to be looked at by the Mountain West.

Right now, it's obvious that the Sun Belt doesn't want MT and WKU and the chances of being invited to the AAC in the next decade are slim to none.

I guess my point is - CUSA is now just a waiting room for teams to stay awhile before moving on to better opportunities. CUSA is a shell of what it used to be. The MAC is a STABLE and tradition-rich conference that has decent TV contracts and a respected national brand. As it stands today MT and WKU would benefit by going to the MAC. Who knows what the next 10-15 years will bring but I can tell you this, in this age of college football if you don't position your program to be in a stable environment you risk falling off the face of the earth so to speak.

My 2 cents with all this MAC/C-USA talk is simple...

These new schools that have just joined C-USA:
1) New Mexico State
2) Sam Houston
3) Jacksonville State
4) Liberty, Liberty, Lib-er-ty, Liberty

I think JSU and SH are only using CUSA as a springboard to get their foot in the door to the FBS. I totally get it. Plus, give Liberty, Sam Houston and Jacksonville State some time and as soon as the Sun Belt or the AAC comes calling they will be gone in a heartbeat.

I think New Mexico State is simply looking at this as a lifeline to stay afloat with their athletic department. Split some revenue money they wouldn't of had previously plus hopefully have an opportunity down the road to be looked at by the Mountain West.

Right now, it's obvious that the Sun Belt doesn't want MT and WKU and the chances of being invited to the AAC in the next decade are slim to none.

I guess my point is - CUSA is now just a waiting room for teams to stay awhile before moving on to better opportunities. CUSA is a shell of what it used to be. The MAC is a STABLE and tradition-rich conference that has decent TV contracts and a respected national brand. As it stands today MT and WKU would benefit by going to the MAC. Who knows what the next 10-15 years will bring but I can tell you this, in this age of college football if you don't position your program to be in a stable environment you risk falling off the face of the earth so to speak.
Very well put, totally agree

Agree 100% and while some folks on these boards would like see us cease football operations, or drop down in competition, those things are not happening. We are hopefully going to the Mac. This is a good thing for fans of the program who want to see MTSU succeed. Prob a bad thing for those who wish failure on the program.

Big thing is it’s not up to any of us, so enjoy the ride!

Just saw on ESPN.com that Western and Middle are moving up to the MAC, a conference with good tradition going back a long way. Some people may not know the expression "the cradle of coaches" and this is only about Miami. Not to mention the rest of the league.

Again, congrats.

(Did you know Nick Saban coached Toledo and Urban Myer coached BGSU?)
I did know that. Do you have a link to that ESPN report? We’ve seen nothing official.

I did know that. Do you have a link to that ESPN report? We’ve seen nothing official.
Assuming this quote from the article: "The Conference USA overhaul might not be done. Mid-American Conference presidents were meeting Friday with possible expansion on the agenda and Conference USA members Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State as potential options, a person familiar with the situation told the AP, speaking on condition of anonymity because the league discussions are private."

I'm not certain if that was the same article or not. The Detroit ABC affiliate has picked up the story late today as an AP wire service article. That sounds pretty convincing. Plus I saw this on twitter:

FDIbugCXoAE3vFm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT