ADVERTISEMENT

How Incredible Would it Be if...

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
at the same time we are going through a generational change with a new coach, new facilities being built, etc., that the leadership finally had an epiphany that a rebrand to the University of Middle Tennessee is long overdue. A name change with a new logo - block MT - dropping the pegasus would be profound. What an immeasurable benefit that would have to this institution at this time.

at the same time we are going through a generational change with a new coach, new facilities being built, etc., that the leadership finally had an epiphany that a rebrand to the University of Middle Tennessee is long overdue. A name change with a new logo - block MT - dropping the pegasus would be profound. What an immeasurable benefit that would have to this institution at this time.
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Maybe Smith has flexed some muscle given the low point that football dropped to this year. We know McPhee has been hostile to a lot of that. Massaro, I have the feeling if there's a strong breeze from any direction, he's blowing in the wind....

I'd lean heavily into the "its a new day" type of thinking. If that includes a name change (long overdue), then do it.

But to defend M&M at little bit, I do think the inertia of getting that off the ground is quite substantial. You're going to run into a lot of issues (everything from other institutions trying to block you to the cost of a complete and total rebrand).

I wholeheartedly agree this is a prime opportunity. But sadly it isn't easy with all the new MT State University signage literally all over campus. The huge stonework at all the school corners, seal on bridge, etc. It will be a years long process to change it all over. Not to mention as above the pushback. It will be extremely costly.

They should 100% start the process. It just won't be an overnight thing. Bluefield College and Bluefield State College by me changed their names to University back in '21 and '22. Pole banners were changed immediately but some building signage wasn't changed until this week even. Not to mention websites etc.

All the more reason it should be started now so it maybe can be fully completed by the time the SAPC is open in '25.

I wonder if a "marketing" rebrand could work just as well.

For example, Virginia Tech is not Virginia Tech. It's Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. But no one actually uses that word salad. It's just Virginia Tech, or VT.

Keep MTSU/Middle Tennessee State University on all formal uses if you have to.

But for everything else - everything from t-shirts, branding, uniforms, media productions, any new stadium/arena logo usage - just use Middle Tennessee and MT. Stop using the "SU". In time, we'll just become colloquially Middle Tennessee/MT.

You don't have to change your name if you change your brand.

I wholeheartedly agree this is a prime opportunity. But sadly it isn't easy with all the new MT State University signage literally all over campus. The huge stonework at all the school corners, seal on bridge, etc. It will be a years long process to change it all over. Not to mention as above the pushback. It will be extremely costly.

They should 100% start the process. It just won't be an overnight thing. Bluefield College and Bluefield State College by me changed their names to University back in '21 and '22. Pole banners were changed immediately but some building signage wasn't changed until this week even. Not to mention websites etc.

All the more reason it should be started now so it maybe can be fully completed by the time the SAPC is open in '25.

MT has a bridge now? (I stopped going to games about the time all of McCollum's players had made it through the system).

along the subject of rebranding, that's what Elon Musk did with twitter. He cleaned house then changed the name. I'm seriously thinking about going back on twitter now the same way I'm thinking about coming back to football and basketball games at MT. EDIT - if McPhee and Massaro resign, I'll buy a charter jet for the athletics department when I get my season tix. That's an easy promise to make.

MT has a bridge now? (I stopped going to games about the time all of McCollum's players had made it through the system).
middle-tennessee-state-university_748.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT