ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hawaii Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs San Diego State (ESPN), 7PM (CT), Saturday, December 24, 2022

Credit to the offense on that last drive to move the ball down the field and retake the lead with a FG. This is the first back to back bowl wins ever right?

Also wonder if there's ever been a team to win with a recorded -66 rushing yards?
Yup and actually 3 bowl wins out of the last 4.

I had a family Christmas Eve so didn’t pay attention to the board, but leave it to us to have “fans” that called it over in the first quarter. I always say we have the worst admin in CFB, but many of our fans match the admin. Still want a new coach, but happy for the players.

Those three sacks in a row didn’t hurt. The offense did well in the second half except for the O Line. A couple of those guys looked lost. Hopefully they return and are better next year, the O Line that is.

Back to back bowl wins. I said at the beginning of the year that would be a successful season to me and I think it is. Great year with the expected roller coaster of emotions. Looking forward to trying to get three in a row next year.

Never know. We’re going to struggle to move the ball against then. One of the best defenses we will have faced all season. If we do move it we always have trouble in the red zone against defenses with a pulse. And they are run first oriented team which plays to our defensive strength. I can see this being a field position/turnovers based outcome but I guess we will find out soon.
🤷🏻‍♂️

First one to 20 won

Fewest rushing yards in the history of FBS football bowl games. Congrats Mike Polly. Quite an accomplishment.

It’s amazing how these players are still able to win games. Between Stock and his buddies they quite literally have some of the worst coaches in the nation teaching them.

Ferg pretty much won us this game. He's done that since he's been here. Gonna miss him a lot. Wood and Ferg have been amazing players here and should get looks in the NFL. Ferg has 3 bowl wins and that also says a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
great effort by our guys to get this win! Our rebuilt defense got better thru the season. Our offensive line has been our weakness for several years….. glad that Chase survived and went out a champ!

It was not pretty at all on the Offensive side of the ball but ill definitely take a bowl win. Also thankful that Brady Hoke out Stockstilled Stockstill. Great game by Jordan Ferguson, the Defense and Zeke Rankin. Very gutsy effort. Cunningham and Lane were good when they had to be. Hey two Bowl Wins in a row!

I am no recruiting expert but back to back winning seasons and two bowl wins has to move the needle some way. Maybe too soon but how big is this to getting better on the recruiting trail?
I think the success will have a bigger impact with the 2024 guys. The way recruiting is structured, most guys sign during December signing period. There are certainly some leftovers that will sign in February but I think most the hay is in the barn there.

In the coming weeks, more and more 2024 names will emerge...

I am no recruiting expert but back to back winning seasons and two bowl wins has to move the needle some way. Maybe too soon but how big is this to getting better on the recruiting trail?
It's got to a little bit with recruiting and the general public. That's why I said we had to win this game. Build some momentum. We need to keep it up because these bowls will mean less once the playoff expands so we need to make a showing now while we can.

I'm beyond glad I didn't turn it off after the 1st qtr. I came within a hair and my wife had enough already and left the room. Haha. Just a great whole team win. Offense had trouble and defense helped pick up the slack along with Zeke.

Only 2 OL signees via high school and no transfers. I’m shocked we expect to roll with this same talent level on the offensive line again next year. How could that not be the main priority?

Only 2 OL signees via high school and no transfers. I’m shocked we expect to roll with this same talent level on the offensive line again next year. How could that not be the main priority?
There still may be some hope in the transfer portal? If you can block anybody then you can start next year for us!

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Don't know how many players redshirted, but Stuckstill has always signed a few guys after signing day. Many times over the summer.

Don't know how many players redshirted, but Stuckstill has always signed a few guys after signing day. Many times over the summer.
Yeah I would expect a couple from the portal. Honestly, the guys this year “should” also improve next season. We need a lot of help on the oline but I do think there will be some improvement organically. I’m sure I’m going to get obliterated for that take 😂

The O-line has been terrible for years, with only one constant - the OL coach, who's been here 10 years. As long as he's here, i'm not sure the players that come and go will matter.

Stock seemed visibly pissed at the sieve like performance of the OL during the bowl game (it was nice to see a little fire) - maybe, just maybe, he's seen enough to demand something better.

Reactions: Hop45
The O-line has been terrible for years, with only one constant - the OL coach, who's been here 10 years. As long as he's here, i'm not sure the players that come and go will matter.

Stock seemed visibly pissed at the sieve like performance of the OL during the bowl game (it was nice to see a little fire) - maybe, just maybe, he's seen enough to demand something better.
Polly has been here 10yrs but hasn't been OL coach for all that. It's been an issue with multiple positions heads which screams recruiting and conditioning (ie size building) to me. It was decent when Wade was here. Not on fire, but better. Once Helton was hired at GaSouthern and Wade was released I was hoping we'd bring him back, but oh well. He went to App St and was just hired at GaT.

Stock moved Polly over last year to change things up, so I dare say he will stay there due to the old adage "one year isn't enough" to fix things. Plus as Austin has said, Polly is a heck of a recruiter (just not for the OL obviously).

But you are right on his fire. He was royally pissed several times, even threw his headset once. Either portal or bulking up. The fact we had an immediate TD with the D-line up front, even after a TO to allow SDSU to adjust, speaks volumes. Conditioning hasn't been the same since Spray left as well. He left after '18 season but can't blame him. Wanted more time at home for his kids.

22 Mike Polly
16-21 Rick Mallory
13-15 Geep Wade

Mallory and Polly should have been gone. Earlabee was pretty good in 2012. Jimmy Ray Stephens did a lot with a little.

Polly has been here 10yrs but hasn't been OL coach for all that. It's been an issue with multiple positions heads which screams recruiting and conditioning (ie size building) to me. It was decent when Wade was here. Not on fire, but better. Once Helton was hired at GaSouthern and Wade was released I was hoping we'd bring him back, but oh well. He went to App St and was just hired at GaT.

Stock moved Polly over last year to change things up, so I dare say he will stay there due to the old adage "one year isn't enough" to fix things. Plus as Austin has said, Polly is a heck of a recruiter (just not for the OL obviously).

But you are right on his fire. He was royally pissed several times, even threw his headset once. Either portal or bulking up. The fact we had an immediate TD with the D-line up front, even after a TO to allow SDSU to adjust, speaks volumes. Conditioning hasn't been the same since Spray left as well. He left after '18 season but can't blame him. Wanted more time at home for his kids.

22 Mike Polly
16-21 Rick Mallory
13-15 Geep Wade

Looking at the bios - it’s kind of tough to tell who did what.

Guys have rather nebulous titles such as “tackles” and “run game coordinator”. One of them is “tight ends/H-backs”. Do we even have TEs and H-backs on the team? What does he do?

As for recruiting, our recruiting sucks. It hasn’t been good since Andy Mac was here. If any of these dudes are here primarily to recruit, our recruiting classes full of guys who should be at places like North Florida and Mercer instead of MTSU is evidence that they are not doing that well either.

One thing that stands out - these guys have been here way too long. They’ve both been here since 2013 - neither of them have performed to a standard where they could even have sniffed a bigger/better job.

These guys need to move up, or move them out. We need to turn over these retirees and bring in some younger, hungry guys who want to do a great job and get hired by the P5.

Stock needs to build a coaching tree that has actual branches. Instead, we have a straight line of guys who are clearly underperforming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT