ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Former MT player announces transfer destination

Not particulary surprising, but not sure he'll see much time or meet the outsized expectations they seem to have of themselves down there. What is needed is consistency and self discipline. Not sure he can get what is needed there.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Yeah, I don’t see this ending well for him. Hope I am wrong. What he really needs is to live in the weight room and learn how to make a 20ft jump shot.

Best of luck to Teafale .... When you are that age, the world is your oyster and it is the time to make risky decisions that are best for you.

I don't doubt that Nick can replace a Teafale but its the coaching them up part that I would like for him to ramp up. We have been soooo close the last two years for a breakout season. For Nick to be the guy for me, that needs to happen.

I think Nick is going to do fine with the portal.

With no disrespect to T's lob dunk or shot blocking skills, but how much can a player who only averaged 8 points a game really expect from the NIL? Sometimes personal ego outpaces personal production. Sure Memphis will have some NIL bucks for him, but unfortunately for him it won't represent the lofty numbers he's seen for the elite players. Whatever the iffy NIL package Lenard Jr acquires I sure hope for his sake it turns out to be worth the gamble for leaving a pretty safe & secure environment at MT.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
What player football or basketball has left MT through the portal and has went on to do better than they did here from a standout performance level? Like people know their name? This is what I say about the portal. "If they didn't move heaven and earth to get you then, why would they want you now?"

Dobson - Classic example. He had some success here and thinks he's too big for MT. Now, he's at TSU doing nothing. Greg grate went to Jackson and barely played. Would have been a welcomed piece in the puzzle last year.

Jaylin and Riley are probably the ones who will produce at the P5 level but how much? Not more than here. They won't have the same spotlight. There, they are just another body.

In Lenard's case, he has less people to compete with. He could produce. It's all about chemistry. If you don't see him getting minutes early, then we know that he's gonna be another statistic. I think it's harder to go the portal rouie. It works for a player maybe 10% of the time and that's a P5 player. Not a G5.

The NBA draft is often much more about potential ability than anything tangible (although I suspect his draft stock has certainly fallen)- he has some phenomenal athletic gifts but until he figures things out between the ears it may very well be unrealized potential at that level... what he needs is some off the court help and I hope he finds it

Reactions: MTFAN61
What player football or basketball has left MT through the portal and has went on to do better than they did here from a standout performance level? Like people know their name? This is what I say about the portal. "If they didn't move heaven and earth to get you then, why would they want you now?"

Dobson - Classic example. He had some success here and thinks he's too big for MT. Now, he's at TSU doing nothing. Greg grate went to Jackson and barely played. Would have been a welcomed piece in the puzzle last year.

Jaylin and Riley are probably the ones who will produce at the P5 level but how much? Not more than here. They won't have the same spotlight. There, they are just another body.

In Lenard's case, he has less people to compete with. He could produce. It's all about chemistry. If you don't see him getting minutes early, then we know that he's gonna be another statistic. I think it's harder to go the portal rouie. It works for a player maybe 10% of the time and that's a P5 player. Not a G5.
The only guy I can think of is that Linebacker that went to Alabama. I think it was around when Sabin first got there. He ended up being a beast on their D. Can’t quite remember his name

The only guy I can think of is that Linebacker that went to Alabama. I think it was around when Sabin first got there. He ended up being a beast on their D. Can’t quite remember his name
It goes back before Saban (and really before the portal as we know it) but you might be thinking of Jeremy Pruitt. If I remember correctly, he was a freshman starter at Middle under Boots. He went home for the summer and there was a lot of talk about Boots taking the open Vanderbilt job. So much so, Pruitt was convinced he was gone so he decided to transfer to Alabama and be a walk on. Boots stayed at Middle and Pruitt ended up having a good career at Bama. Afterwards, he went into coaching and you know the rest of the story....

It goes back before Saban (and really before the portal as we know it) but you might be thinking of Jeremy Pruitt. If I remember correctly, he was a freshman starter at Middle under Boots. He went home for the summer and there was a lot of talk about Boots taking the open Vanderbilt job. So much so, Pruitt was convinced he was gone so he decided to transfer to Alabama and be a walk on. Boots stayed at Middle and Pruitt ended up having a good career at Bama. Afterwards, he went into coaching and you know the rest of the story....
No!

seems like a perfect match down there:

Sadly, negative crap like this has been happening with Memphis Tiger Basketball for decades and because of it, Tiger Football has been collateral damage in P5 realignment consideration among college Presidents.
Ironically, a former Tiger basketball player who passed away last week once pulled a gun in ‘78-‘79 season and held the Miss St. team bus from leaving the Mid-South Coliseum parking lot after their 93-64 beatdown of the Tigers. They heckled said player pretty badly and trash talked the entire game and afterwards. The Bulldogs didn’t know this guy carried frequently. Our AD at the time (who was a Miss St. grad) had to get involved in removing the player from the players parking lot and keep the police out of it.
I even revisited the incident with Kermit at a BRAA golf outing a few years ago and he had heard about it when he got to Miss St. the next season.
True story.

Every program picks up a bad apple from time to time, but to their credit Kermit, Stock , and Nick have all moved very quickly in showing them the door. Memphis has a history of picking up more than their fair share. Hope it works out well for T.

Reactions: ewglenn
Every program picks up a bad apple from time to time, but to their credit Kermit, Stock , and Nick have all moved very quickly in showing them the door. Memphis has a history of picking up more than their fair share. Hope it works out well for T.
To his credit Stock dealt with Dozier and King fairly quickly. The Dasher situation was a little different though. 😂

Reactions: RaiderDeez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT