ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Penny Hardaway suspended to start the year

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
I will not start this discussion as a means of belittling Memphis. I rather point out the hypocrisy of the NCAA. Penny got suspended because he had a recruiting visit with a high school junior at home instead of on his campus. Yet the NCAA has allowed itself to totally decimate high school recruiting of athletes via the transfer portal & NIL recently. In comparing what the NCAA now approves as ok versus the supposed horrors of a coach visiting a player at home or campus is it that big a deal?? If the NCAA is OK with NIL packages worth hundred of thousands they might as well drop some of these stupid regulations just so they can justify having a job.
If this had happened at Duke or UNC would said suspension happened to one of their coaches?

They will penalize more for this than payouts. The NCAA literally has lost control.

Now that the CFP president is retiring, that will be the impetus for change. The schools will get someone in there with the vision and power to replace the NCAA in a lot of aspects.

Penny and Tiger Basketball will keep Memphis from getting even a sniff from a P5 conference in any future realignment. Been that way for 50 years. The old money basketball boosters don’t care.

They will penalize more for this than payouts. The NCAA literally has lost control.

Now that the CFP president is retiring, that will be the impetus for change. The schools will get someone in there with the vision and power to replace the NCAA in a lot of aspects.
Change of subject, but still basketball related. Understand this was to be a pretty talented WVU team this fall for Huggins. Who would you like to see coming as coach to maintain as much continuity as possible, & maybe retain as many players as possible.
Couple of bad mistakes on Huggins part, hate to see a long successful career end on such a down trajectory the way his did the past month or so.

Change of subject, but still basketball related. Understand this was to be a pretty talented WVU team this fall for Huggins. Who would you like to see coming as coach to maintain as much continuity as possible, & maybe retain as many players as possible.
Couple of bad mistakes on Huggins part, hate to see a long successful career end on such a down trajectory the way his did the past month or so.
Apparently my opinion is different from a lot of fans, but I'd go interim. I would've already had it done.

Wren doesn't want to because in April he hired a new WBB coach, then this fall he will almost be guaranteed to be doing a FB search. He doesn't want another one next April. He wants to get this one over with now.

If I didn't do that, I would hire John Beilein again for a couple years. Go after the right assistant as a coach in waiting and build for the future.

What's happening now isn't working. What is crazy is soooo many people think he shouldn't have been fired. Apparently rehab was offered by him and the school said no. Agree with what he said last month or not, you just can't say that in today's world. But even without that, he was arrested while driving drunk IN A UNIVERSITY VEHICLE. Name me any job out there that a person wouldn't get fired from for doing that. Taxi driver, limo, cable guy, power company, ceo, anyone would get fired for it. Even we would fire Stock if that ever happened in his school provided car.

Huggs made over $8k a day. If I made that, especially with the cost of living in WV, I'd have a black Escalade with my own driver at my beck and call.

With that $ in arguably the best basketball conference in the country, we can find a great coach. But not in June.

Apparently my opinion is different from a lot of fans, but I'd go interim. I would've already had it done.

Wren doesn't want to because in April he hired a new WBB coach, then this fall he will almost be guaranteed to be doing a FB search. He doesn't want another one next April. He wants to get this one over with now.

If I didn't do that, I would hire John Beilein again for a couple years. Go after the right assistant as a coach in waiting and build for the future.

What's happening now isn't working. What is crazy is soooo many people think he shouldn't have been fired. Apparently rehab was offered by him and the school said no. Agree with what he said last month or not, you just can't say that in today's world. But even without that, he was arrested while driving drunk IN A UNIVERSITY VEHICLE. Name me any job out there that a person wouldn't get fired from for doing that. Taxi driver, limo, cable guy, power company, ceo, anyone would get fired for it. Even we would fire Stock if that ever happened in his school provided car.

Huggs made over $8k a day. If I made that, especially with the cost of living in WV, I'd have a black Escalade with my own driver at my beck and call.

With that $ in arguably the best basketball conference in the country, we can find a great coach. But not in June.
FAU has a guy available. That would be my call. Take their entire roster essentially.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I remember when he (at Akron with Joe Jakubik) and Bruce Stewart here were ruling the OVC back in the 80s
Remember watching this gangly kid from Akron around '81 or '82 who had an awkward set shot, but could throw it in from everywhere & rarely missed. That might have been Joe

Reactions: blue rai
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT