ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Do you guys feel that we are going...

Great question. I'll respectfully wait to see what our last scholarship looks like. If coach brings in a 6' 4" Junior College All American guard that averaged 23 ppg & shot 40% from 3 I'll definitely vote better by a long shot.

Tough to say with so many newcomers. I don't think we can shoot any worse from outside than we did last year. I think we will miss Dishman the most. If we can keep playing solid defense I believe we have a chance to be better than last year.

I think we will improve. I think something around 22-23 wins in the regular season depending on the schedule.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Slightly improve. Do we have any idea of the OOC schedule yet?
Don’t quote me on this but this is what the CSNBBS site has for us so far:

Home: St Bonaventure, Belmont, Missouri State

Neutral: Baha Mar Hoops Nassau Championship (Brown 14-13, Delaware 17-16, George Washington 16-16, UIC 12-20, Kansas City 11-21, Middle Tennessee 19-14 and Ohio 19-14) I took that from the Baha Mar website.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Any word on how many if any players will be available for summer practice?
Looked at CNM's twitter page & there was a short video dated 6/10/2022 in which he talked about just finishing the 1st week of summer practice. With so many new faces coming on board the blending of old & new players would be great, but not sure if that's a possibility with so many recent additions.

Great question. I'll respectfully wait to see what our last scholarship looks like. If coach brings in a 6' 4" Junior College All American guard that averaged 23 ppg & shot 40% from 3 I'll definitely vote better by a long shot.
As a side note our competition 100 miles north just signed a 1st team All American JC guard Don McHenry. After a slow start WKU is building up their recruiting base with new Coach Lutz.

As a side note our competition 100 miles north just signed a 1st team All American JC guard Don McHenry. After a slow start WKU is building up their recruiting base with new Coach Lutz.
They hired the kids head coach as an assistant. It’s not surprising and I’m not impressed.

They hired the kids head coach as an assistant. It’s not surprising and I’m not impressed.
I’m kinda impressed. Wish we could do some outside the box thinking for some big time recruits. We've had the same assistant coaches for the past 15 years getting the same results. If trading an assistant coach for juco all American is what it takes, count me in

I’m kinda impressed. Wish we could do some outside the box thinking for some big time recruits. We've had the same assistant coaches for the past 15 years getting the same results. If trading an assistant coach for juco all American is what it takes, count me in
100% incorrect. CNM has been here 4-5 years. There were ZERO holdovers from Kermit’s staff as he took 2 with him to Ole Miss & Gregg stayed in The ‘Boro. Maybe Kerry as a GA stayed through the transition. Can’t recall.
Think CNM lost one coach to Clemson.
So there has not been an assistant basketball coach at MT for 15 years.
If I am wrong will come back and apologize.

Granted the young man's high school stats of 38 ppg with a single game record of 54 were much better than his junior college stats. Of course stats aren't everything, but the folks doing the rankings had to give him 1st team status for some reason. I'll take their knowledge of the JC athletes over mine any time.
For MT's sake I only hope he's a failure when playing us this winter, along with the rest of the 'toppers players.

100% incorrect. CNM has been here 4-5 years. There were ZERO holdovers from Kermit’s staff as he took 2 with him to Ole Miss & Gregg stayed in The ‘Boro. Maybe Kerry as a GA stayed through the transition. Can’t recall.
Think CNM lost one coach to Clemson.
So there has not been an assistant basketball coach at MT for 15 years.
If I am wrong will come back and apologize.
My bad. Thinking football Thread . I’ll go back to sleep

Granted the young man's high school stats of 38 ppg with a single game record of 54 were much better than his junior college stats. Of course stats aren't everything, but the folks doing the rankings had to give him 1st team status for some reason. I'll take their knowledge of the JC athletes over mine any time.
For MT's sake I only hope he's a failure when playing us this winter, along with the rest of the 'toppers players.
If he was really that good, coming out of JC, he wouldn’t have ended up at WKU. He is a good player but I don’t think they are the team to beat, that’s us. I’m sure they will be a good team more than capable of beating us but I don’t think it shows their assistant coach is a great recruiter. He had a relationship with a kid and he followed. That’s something you want to see but I’ll be impressed when it isn’t his guy.

If he was really that good, coming out of JC, he wouldn’t have ended up at WKU. He is a good player but I don’t think they are the team to beat, that’s us. I’m sure they will be a good team more than capable of beating us but I don’t think it shows their assistant coach is a great recruiter. He had a relationship with a kid and he followed. That’s something you want to see but I’ll be impressed when it isn’t his guy.
I can see your point of view. I would doubt if Western has an NIL pkg for their athletes much greater than ours. Anyway, I'm much more interested in MT's upcoming final scholarship selection as compared to the pick WKU just made. Just thought it made for an interesting topic being our biggest rival.
I'm not quite as confident just yet that we're the team to beat. Lack of leadership & skill from the guard position really undermined last year's team. Don't feel it has been fully addressed in this recruiting class just yet, & we never really recovered from Jordan's preseason injury. After 2 serious back to back injuries I'm not fully assured in the young man's ability to make it healthy through a full season. Definitely hope he can though. I remember coach saying his accuracy from long range had gotten unbelievable prior to last year's injury.
Not to beat a dead horse, but if we can still pull in that 1 last quality guard I'll feel a lot better about being that team to beat this fall. I think we have the foundation for it.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT