ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL CUSA Championship Game @ Johnny Red Floyd Stadium, 12:30PM, Saturday, December 1, 2018

The crappy CUSA can’t even get on a network carried here on the cable in The Peabody. I’ve been following MT game on my phone and watching Memphis/UCF on ABC.

Guess you were on the red carpet petting the ducks when UCF hung 21 unanswered on your Tigers.
Have a safe trip back to your "Franklin Office" while you wait for CM to beg you for money to pay the staff that you Love so much. Looks like both programs are 8-5. Yet I don't hear you bad mouthing Mem-piss

#E.A.T.T.

I disagree it always has to be that way with attendance. A good AD and good coach promoting the program better would be a big step. Even little obvious things like giving tickets away and setting up party buses to shuttle people to the stadium should have been used to get more than about 8K that I could see on tv. It seems like they aren’t even trying anymore.

This should have been the one chance they try everything to fill that place and it sure looked like they didn’t even try. And maybe the game on the field is impacted by a better attendance by MT fans.

Fire Massaro !

Guess you were on the red carpet petting the ducks when UCF hung 21 unanswered on your Tigers.
Have a safe trip back to your "Franklin Office" while you wait for CM to beg you for money to pay the staff that you Love so much. Looks like both programs are 8-5. Yet I don't hear you bad mouthing Mem-piss

#E.A.T.T.

Did I hurt your feelings? LMAO!

rcodeman - in delusional alumni I was referring to the 95% of fellow alumni who refuse to support their Alma mater.

Reactions: C-Bow
Who is Kelly?

Why's Chip and Kelly giving UAB $hit about having 38 seniors and talking about how they're going to suck next year? Sour, sour grapes. We have a 9th year QB with a damn Master's degree already. We have a roster FULL of juniors and seniors. They think UAB is going to suck next year? We'll be lucky to win 5 games.

Zero excuse or reason for us to lose the championship today, other than....

We got outplayed, and more importantly, out coached.

I agree Murfreesboro is crap. The laziest people I have ever seen. Excuses for everything. The populous is too stupid to realize what the university means to the city. I'm disappointed in attendence and this goofd for nothing athletic department.

Reactions: subkyle
Why should M'boro care about the football team's attendance when the AD and admin do not even appear to care about the attendance?

Like a lot of people here already commented, the attendance and the mega screw the pooch ending were horrendous and embarrassing. In my opinion, the lack of attendance and enthusiasm is reason enough to find a new HC. Area sports fans including students and alumni have little to no confidence that coach stock teams will close the deal on the big games.

I get that the university community including M'boro and all the alumni in Nashville should support MT especially for such big events. Despite the overall lack of attendance, I don't think throwing the whole town of M'boro under the bus is right either. Perhaps there is just some raw emotion and frustration regarding the choke job broadcast on national tv today. While the people of M'boro could and should do better about support and attendance in my opinion, it is up to the university and athletic dept to put a product out there that will reasonably attract more fans. Once the university and athletic dept put out a better product, then I will get onboard the complain train about the people of M'boro not coming out for games.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Why should M'boro care about the football team's attendance when the AD and admin do not even appear to care about the attendance?

Like a lot of people here already commented, the attendance and the mega screw the pooch ending were horrendous and embarrassing. In my opinion, the lack of attendance and enthusiasm is reason enough to find a new HC. Area sports fans including students and alumni have little to no confidence that coach stock teams will close the deal on the big games.

I get that the university community including M'boro and all the alumni in Nashville should support MT especially for such big events. Despite the overall lack of attendance, I don't think throwing the whole town of M'boro under the bus is right either. Perhaps there is just some raw emotion and frustration regarding the choke job broadcast on national tv today. While the people of M'boro could and should do better about support and attendance in my opinion, it is up to the university and athletic dept to put a product out there that will reasonably attract more fans. Once the university and athletic dept put out a better product, then I will get onboard the complain train about the people of M'boro not coming out for games.
Confused about the better product comment... we played for a conference title today. Kermit kicked ass the last 4 years and battled the same. I blame the administration and the city for not supporting or figuring out the issue.

Reactions: MarJac23 and MTTim
I'm not going to rag on anyome right now, but I was so let down today. Hell of an overachieving run this year, but what a let down. I was immediately gut punched when I came out and saw the crowd. It made me sad. I got a bad feeling right then because we had a better crowd the previous weekend which is crazy since that was Thanksgiving weekend. I think they should be marketing more to southern middle Tennessee. More specifically Coffee, Moore, and Bedford county. They should play up the fact it's affordable, way closer, and way less traffic than going to events in Nashville. More bang for your advertising dollar too. We should forget the Nashville crowd. They ain't coming. But anyway, that post game press conference was rough too. Just a sad day.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
It took Kermit years of winning an a really high level to turn the Boro’s heads. And even then attendance was bad until the games the end of season games that mattered. At some point I’ve got to lay blame on the community at large. This town doesn’t want to support the hand that feeds it.
People started flocking to games when Kermit got the team into the top 25. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: Predarat
People started flocking to games when Kermit got the team into the top 25. It's as simple as that.

Really? What's with the Top 25 obsession? I personally give it zero credence, especially in CBB. But I'm much more than a casual follower of the sport I guess.

Still, I do not understand the fascination with a top 25 ranking. It literally has zero meaning. Zero.

So after 4 years of winning conference championships, regular P5 wins, back to back NCAA wins, an NIT run that includes a win over UT, we finally got ranked. All of those accomplishments didn’t do more than get about 6k people from this community on a regular basis to the games. I remember Kermit practically begging fans to show up to watch the guys play on his post game shows. This town’s support for MT disgusts me.

We pulled out all the stops we could for the first round against UAB and that was actually pretty well attended for a Thanksgiving weekend game. It took flooding the city with free tickets, but it worked. I was impressed with how much round two was marketed on Facebook and that they opened up Hendrix Club to all BRAA members. Give Don Mcaughlin and David Blackburn a full off season and I think we’ll see a lot of improvement and fresh ideas.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Really? What's with the Top 25 obsession? I personally give it zero credence, especially in CBB. But I'm much more than a casual follower of the sport I guess.

Still, I do not understand the fascination with a top 25 ranking. It literally has zero meaning. Zero.
You don't remember all the people at the basketball games last year once the team cracked the top 25??? Oh yeah, you weren't there...

Did YOU care about oregon football before they were ranked in the top 25? Not likely. Do you care about oregon football now that they aren't ranked? I bet you care less now than you did a few years ago.

Like it or not, Joe sports fan doesn't care about teams that aren't in the top 25. When a team cracks the top 25 it's as if the team suddenly becomes special - validated as one of the nations best - and band wagoners always want to be part of that.

Reactions: Hop45
Living in an area where hardly anyone knows who MT is, yes. Rankings matter. Bowl wins matter. I have more people say things to me during those things than any else. Even after yesterday’s debacle.

Reactions: MTLynn
Is this really the best Massaro could pull together? Hell give tickets away, maybe they buy a hotdog and you make a buck that way. It would have been so easy to get better attendance than that just with freebie tickets. Nice job Massaro. Did you even try?

Last edited:
Is this really the best Massaro could pull together? Hell give tickets away, maybe they buy a hotdog and you make a buck that way. It would have been so easy to get better attendance than that just with freebie tickets. Nice job Massaro. Did you even try?

I'm not sure the tickets were ours to give away so we could have taken a bath in buying them from the league and giving them away and people still not show.

You don't remember all the people at the basketball games last year once the team cracked the top 25??? Oh yeah, you weren't there...

Did YOU care about oregon football before they were ranked in the top 25? Not likely. Do you care about oregon football now that they aren't ranked? I bet you care less now than you did a few years ago.

Like it or not, Joe sports fan doesn't care about teams that aren't in the top 25. When a team cracks the top 25 it's as if the team suddenly becomes special - validated as one of the nations best - and band wagoners always want to be part of that.

Been an Oregon fan going back to when Joey Harrington was their QB. Still vividly remember them whipping Texas in the Holiday Bowl. Don't remember if they were ranked though (because it doesn't mean anything).

Thanks for your concern though.

Been an Oregon fan going back to when Joey Harrington was their QB. Still vividly remember them whipping Texas in the Holiday Bowl. Don't remember if they were ranked though (because it doesn't mean anything).

Thanks for your concern though.

While I can confirm that Wiley has indeed held an affinity for the Ducks for that long, that's pretty much the beginning of the golden age of Oregon football. They have one more conference championship(6) in the 19 seasons since Harrington took over as full time starter than they did in the ~100 years prior to Harrington.

Same goes for two of their three Rose Bowl victories and five(including Harrington) of their seven Heisman finalists.

His name is Brent...not Brett. He has been in the program for 6 years you should know his name
Well, hopefully you feel better now. Maybe even got a good night sleep since you were able to get this off your chest. Well done, you should be proud.

Confused about the better product comment... we played for a conference title today. Kermit kicked ass the last 4 years and battled the same. I blame the administration and the city for not supporting or figuring out the issue.

While I think I conveyed the message in the earlier post, I will try again. For starters, I touched on the point and agree that Murfreesboro and alumni in Nashville need to do a lot better about supporting MT.

Blaming the people and town of Murfreesboro striked me as more of an angry response and blaming whatever target popped up instead of the ongoing overall lack of real success in football. The trend of MT football lacking real success that has included numerous near misses at the end of the season over the last 13 or 14 years is not exactly helping in building energy and buzz to win over casual sports fans. My point, some things need to be done over in The Murphy Center to build a little energy and buzz around MT football to help with the cause of better support and attendance. That includes perhaps setting sights a little higher than granting lifetime contracts based upon mediocre football records year after year.

Basketball is a different situation. I do blame the people of M'boro and the alumni in Nashville for not better supporting basketball better than they have. Overall, I like Murfreesboro. I think it is a good suburban area in a good part of the country. While there is a problem with the people of Murfreesboro lacking in support of MT particularly with attendance, let's not forget 75,000+ MT alumni just up the road in Nashville. Again, my point, how about some balance in assigning blame instead of just throwing Murfreesboro under the bus. It's a multifaceted problem.

Back to basketball, the people of Murfreesboro and alumni in Nashville area do share a huge amount of the blame for lack of attendance and support of MT bball. It's still a proportional problem. While I would like for The Murphy Center and Floyd Stadium to be full for each game, at least MT bball did see steady improvement in attendance over the 6-7 years of good success under Kermit. Again, I remember watching way too many games in The Murph with only about 1,200 - 1,500 in attendance for regular season games. That Kermit had gotten to about 6,500 in attendance for most home games was still a pretty darn good improvement. Again, I want to see 11,500 at each home game. There were a lot more than 6,500 at big games over the recent years. I recall that first big NIT run under Kermit when around 9,000 or 10,000 turned out on short notice vs Minnesota. My point here is that there were definitely some big gains and improvements in attendance for MT bball when MT started to enjoy sustained good success. Those last regular season home games for Kermit had legit great crowds for bigtime college bball environment. I know I was finally glad to see around 10,000 showing up for conference games still in the regular season. All of this at a time when most programs are struggling with declining attendance. MT bball was in a pretty decent position in reference to our conference mates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT