ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Coaching Search

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Chip on the Blue Raider update this afternoon on wgns said that MT had interviewed two last week and will interview two this week, and that he wouldn't be surprised if there were to be an announcement next week.

Bragga supposed to interview this week. He's also a candidate for Rice job.

Serrano, Auburn assistant, College or Charleston Assistant, USM assistant also in the mix.

My guess would be landing a top assistant.

Bragga supposed to interview this week. He's also a candidate for Rice job.

Serrano, Auburn assistant, College or Charleston Assistant, USM assistant also in the mix.

My guess would be landing a top assistant.

Bragga would be a slam dunk hire I would be surprised if Rice doesn't hire Saarloos or Mosiello from TCU. However, Tech's run definitely gives name recognition.

I didn't realize how much top assistant baseball coaches really make. I don't think we could afford a single top 10 assistant coach from BA's rankings list this year. I'm talking $250,000 to almost $700,000 for assistant coaches. Then again, I think we were getting the home team discount with Mac. Maybe we can offer a more competitive salary.

I agree with MTFNBY5, I sort of wish we thought out of the box (if we do not get Bragga). Give me Shelton, Brad Stormdahl, Billy Berry, etc over Serrano. Acutally, give me the GoMiddle message board hero of the week of Serrano.

Reactions: C-Bow
College BB assistants make up to 3/4 a million a year? D--n, I remember when BB head coaches were FB assistants who were forced to take the job.

Shows the influence of $$$s on college athletics, at least for those schools who have the means.

I heard yesterday that Bragga had already interviewed. Chip also indicated an announcement about a new coach could come by weekend.

College BB assistants make up to 3/4 a million a year? D--n, I remember when BB head coaches were FB assistants who were forced to take the job.

Shows the influence of $$$s on college athletics, at least for those schools who have the means.

I should add the caveat that the high salary was apparently a coach in waiting thing. Gary Henderson at Miss State was making in the 400s prior to getting the interim HC job. But I am seeing a lot of $150,000+ for these assistant coaches. Kevin Schnall, a top assistant at Coastal Carolina, is makings $165,000 last year.

The main point is Mac made under 100,000. Top assistant coaches are consistently making well over up to double that amount.

I am hoping we offer a competive salary to get a good coach.

Here’s another name, Pat Murphy.

His program got in trouble at Arizona State, but the NCAA cleared him of wrongdoing.

He has less personal baggage than CKD did and was uber successful in college.

If we are interviewing Serrano, then this would be better.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Kendall Rogers at D1 Baseball indicating Jim Toman front runner. Current College of Charleston Asst and former Liberty Head Coach.

Kendall Rogers at D1 Baseball indicating Jim Toman front runner. Current College of Charleston Asst and former Liberty Head Coach.

If Kaarloos had accepted the Rice offer, we probably have Bragga right now.

Not sure how I feel about Toman. Looks like an upgrade to Mac. I would like more info on his resignation- looked like team was moving the wrong direction after some good years.

If Kaarloos had accepted the Rice offer, we probably have Bragga right now.

Not sure how I feel about Toman. Looks like an upgrade to Mac. I would like more info on his resignation- looked like team was moving the wrong direction after some good years.

On a side note- can Massaro not close the deal with a coach outside of the Carolinas?

June 18th will be 4 weeks since this job officially came open. Am sure CM knew a couple weeks prior he was going to have to make a change.
I thought he got our b-ball coach relatively quick.
When he hired Mags I swear he was his 3rd choice or so. Thought the Ark State coach played us for a raise & seem to recall we flirted with the Liberty guy too.
There hasn’t seemed to be as many leaks with this search. Though stretching out to 4 weeks makes one think $$$ could again be a factor. We had to be getting a hometown discount from Mags. Incredible a school our size had a baseball coach making less than $100K.

June 18th will be 4 weeks since this job officially came open. Am sure CM knew a couple weeks prior he was going to have to make a change.
I thought he got our b-ball coach relatively quick.
When he hired Mags I swear he was his 3rd choice or so. Thought the Ark State coach played us for a raise & seem to recall we flirted with the Liberty guy too.
There hasn’t seemed to be as many leaks with this search. Though stretching out to 4 weeks makes one think $$$ could again be a factor. We had to be getting a hometown discount from Mags. Incredible a school our size had a baseball coach making less than $100K.

There haven’t been a ton of leaks, but we’ve found a nugget or two. Check the premium board

Massaro is an idiot. Just gonna call it here. How do you let Bragga out of this state? If we weren't even paying 100k for a D1 baseball coach, then why even fire the guy? What does it matter if you don't pay the cash to compete?

Reactions: amgtmom
Massaro is an idiot. Just gonna call it here. How do you let Bragga out of this state? If we weren't even paying 100k for a D1 baseball coach, then why even fire the guy? What does it matter if you don't pay the cash to compete?

In his defense, Bragga went to Rice - a historically successful baseball program in a talent rich area. We haven't been good since Bryce Brentz. There aren't a whole lot of reasons to pick MT over Rice if you're being objective.

Also, doesn't Rice, as a private school - have ways to skirt around the 11.7 scholarship limits that hurt us (kind of like Vandy does).

Funding is a separate issue - but being cheap isn't an excuse for the slipping program of the last few years. I didn't like the Mac hire from the start - it reeked of the easy way out once the ASU coach bailed. All he did was run Coach Pete's program into irrelevance. Being a good guy does not equal being a competent coach.

Tennessee's a great baseball state - we're not Florida, but this is a program that should at least qualify for the conference tourney every year.

For those of you who follow baseball more closely or live in the mid state area, wasn’t the Liberty guy our 2nd or so choice 6 years ago? I can’t get out of my mind we flirted with both the Ark State & Liberty coaches last time. From reading some past articles about his departure from Liberty it was clear that was not his decision.

For those of you who follow baseball more closely or live in the mid state area, wasn’t the Liberty guy our 2nd or so choice 6 years ago? I can’t get out of my mind we flirted with both the Ark State & Liberty coaches last time. From reading some past articles about his departure from Liberty it was clear that was not his decision.

He was one of three finalists, the other two being the arky state head coach and McGuire.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Always has to have Carolina ties........the other finalist in the basketball coaching search also had Carolina ties (Odom) and Massaro favored him over McDevitt but McPhee wanted McDevitt (Odom also had some steep demands)

and there was another candidate who was considered for the b-ball job that was a JOKE to even be considered (old ECU head coach with a TERRIBLE record.... cant remember his name) for the job. *edit - Jeff Lebo

McDevitt....from the Carolinas.....

Has Massaro hired a coach yet that didn't have Carolina ties? This might seem like something petty to complain about, but I think it shows a serious lack of high level, objective decision making.

Toman will be an upgrade for sure. I like it if true. Toman helped Tanner build a National Championship team at South Carolina. Never had a losing record at Liberty? Who is Liberty? His name resonates positively around the south. Massaro trusts the opinions of his Carolina connections that are in the know. We all go to our trusted sources to find out everything we can until we make a decision. Just logical. I will be very impressed if he is in fact the coach. A major upgrade.

Reactions: C-Bow and BlueAlpha
I wanna know why Toman resigned from Liberty and why he will be successful at MT?

Interesting to note that In 2011, Liberty set a Big South record with seven draftees.

Last edited:
It seems to be that Massaro aims extremely low when starting a coaching search when it should be the other way around. Like I said before, if an assistant at a Colonial Athletic Conference school is the best we can do than that is terrible. I'm beginning to think Massaro is a huge liability to this university.

Last edited:
As to where Massaro’s HC hires came from, did not fact-check this on GoBlueRaiders.com, but at least 90% sure of its accuracy for the most part.
(2) softball coaches- somewhere in the state of Kentucky & HS coach at Manchester, TN.
W b-ball coach- Shelbyville HS, TN
W golf coach- Ark State HC
M golf coach- Ga Tech assistant
M tennis coach- Drake U HC
W tennis coach- Chattanooga HS HC, I think?
(2) volleyball coaches- HC Carson-Newman & assistant at Auburn
Baseball coach- assistant MT
football coach- assistant S Carolina
M b-ball coach- HC UNC Asheville
Can’t recall if he hired the soccer coach or not.

Yep, that is one strong Carolina connection.

As to where Massaro’s HC hires came from, did not fact-check this on GoBlueRaiders.com, but at least 90% sure of its accuracy for the most part.
(2) softball coaches- somewhere in the state of Kentucky & HS coach at Manchester, TN.
W b-ball coach- Shelbyville HS, TN
W golf coach- Ark State HC
M golf coach- Ga Tech assistant
M tennis coach- Drake U HC
W tennis coach- Chattanooga HS HC, I think?
(2) volleyball coaches- HC Carson-Newman & assistant at Auburn
Baseball coach- assistant MT
football coach- assistant S Carolina
M b-ball coach- HC UNC Asheville
Can’t recall if he hired the soccer coach or not.

Yep, that is one strong Carolina connection.

Is this Massaro’s burner account? Softball, tennis and golf come on... We all know Massaro loves the good ole boys from his Carolina days as it relates to hires that actually matter.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Looks like the guy can recruit, but player development lacked. If he continues that trend, who he hires as assistants will make or break this as a good hire.

Reactions: MTLynn
Jeez, can’t we have technical issues and end this press conference?

He better be much better on the field than on the mic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT