ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL FIRST GoMiddle coaching hot board!

I really wish people would stop talking about Diaz.

There is literally not a snow ball's chance in hell he comes here. He will have multiple Power 5 offers if he wants them. Even if he didn't take them we couldn't even match his current salary at Penn St.

It's not happening.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

There is literally not a snow ball's chance in hell he comes here. He will have multiple Power 5 offers if he wants them. Even if he didn't take them we couldn't even match his current salary at Penn St.

It's not happening.
At least make him say no.

Regardless of the pay (which is certainly competitive at our level) the fact is, this is one of only 130 of these jobs on the planet.

One with some inherent advantages (and some challenges to be fair), but one where a guy who has some success can punch his own ticket.

I think this is going to be a more attractive job than some think.

I think it would be smart to have a conversation with Glen Ellerbee. A former player and coach here who has been successful at every place he has been.

Reactions: Hop45
There’s a better chance of Diaz than Petrino.

Petrino is 62, I believe. MT needs to get younger, not exchange one old coach for another old coach.

Diaz isn't coming here because we can't pay him enough AND he will have better opportunities. I don't believe Middle could lure any OC or DC from any of the blue bloods. They simply pay more than we do + they know they will have better opportunities.

Petrino will be available after TAMU bowl game since Jimbo got fired + we could very likely make him a respectable $$$ offer. He is a great offensive mind and with the right assistant coaches I believe could win big here.

Diaz isn't coming here because we can't pay him enough AND he will have better opportunities. I don't believe Middle could lure any OC or DC from any of the blue bloods. They simply pay more than we do + they know they will have better opportunities.
I think you’re probably right that Diaz will probably have other opportunities. But you gotta make the call to find out.

I won’t get into the details WHY, but I have reason to believe Manny will get a call / look
Petrino will be available after TAMU bowl game since Jimbo got fired + we could very likely make him a respectable $$$ offer. He is a great offensive mind and with the right assistant coaches I believe could win big here.
Petrino is 62. Sure, he may attract a quality staff, but he’s not who MT needs at this point IMO.

Do you know how I know that?

I worked with the guy.

I respect his football mind and I’m grateful for the opportunity, but I don’t believe he’s the right fit for MT

I think you’re probably right that Diaz will probably have other opportunities. But you gotta make the call to find out.

I won’t get into the details WHY, but I have reason to believe Manny will get a call / look

Petrino is 62. Sure, he may attract a quality staff, but he’s not who MT needs at this point IMO.

Do you know how I know that?

I worked with the guy.

I respect his football mind and I’m grateful for the opportunity, but I don’t believe he’s the right fit for MT

He's a big selfish asshole. We all know that. He is not personable, and he's not the over the top guy that Massaro wants.

But I highly doubt you will find a better or more qualified candidate. Petrino could win big time here.

It's not happening.
Respectfully, he’s the one guy we know they’d hire tonight if they could.

He’s not a realistic candidate (he would be if MTSU was in, say, the AAC) but he has to be on the list.

I would question someone's ability at 62 to want to be fully dedicated, put in the long hours and pound the ground getting recruits/transfers. As far as I know he has no connections to the university, which would help in that scenario. He's sitting on plenty of $$$ and I would have a hard time thinking this guy will give the 110% that is needed just to right the ship.

I would take Jeff Fisher over Petrino. At least he would probably raise some $$$ and has connections to the area. The local media would eat it up. Do the CEO thing, but his last years in the NFL were pathetic. And by the way, Fisher would be terrible as well so I'm not advocating for him.

Young and energetic LEADER (not necessarily top signal caller) that is looking to make a name for himself is what we need.

Got to bring someone in that will “Win the presser”. The town and school needs someone with some swagger that can energize a newer fan base. I think someone who goes out and looks for donors can make some serious strides. I do realize it’s been a challenge but coaches that have gone out and gotten involved in the community have raised some big funds, ie Kermit, Insell and Jimmy B with tennis. Let’s take the approach that WKU and Arkansas St took for some years and turn out folks that can get MT some buyout funds along with winning championships.

Got to bring someone in that will “Win the presser”. The town and school needs someone with some swagger that can energize a newer fan base. I think someone who goes out and looks for donors can make some serious strides. I do realize it’s been a challenge but coaches that have gone out and gotten involved in the community have raised some big funds, ie Kermit, Insell and Jimmy B with tennis. Let’s take the approach that WKU and Arkansas St took for some years and turn out folks that can get MT some buyout funds along with winning championships.

I said this earlier but it’s not just that. Yes, do that but they have to know how to win too. As a reminder Andy Mac won the presser. Won signing day. Didn’t win much else.

Sports Illustrated has put out an initial list.

Willie Simmons
Scotty Walden
Buster Faulkner
Bryan Vincent

Not saying any of these would be bad, but I do hope we aim a little higher initially.

I said this earlier but it’s not just that. Yes, do that but they have to know how to win too. As a reminder Andy Mac won the presser. Won signing day. Didn’t win much else.
Different times. Andy Mac brought a lot of Prop 48 kids in and recruited well. Lots of staff turnover early hurt. Coaching skills at this level should be implied and mandatory. But I’m looking for a charismatic CEO type. I’m taking about a fund raiser and hand shaker. Hire a young energetic staff and let’s see what happens. We are so far removed from new blood I think we will be surprised on what a new look could do.

What's Doc Holiday doing? The dude they replaced Doc with has done hardly anything at Marshall since they canned DOC.

Good question
Bill Clark, who is 55, retired from coaching June ‘22, citing back issues. He had successful spinal fusion surgery shortly after retiring.
His back issues date back to a weight lifting type injury he suffered while in high school.

Last edited:
Clark, who is 55, retired from coaching June ‘22, citing back issues. He had successful spinal fusion surgery shortly after retiring.
His back issues date back to a weight lifting type injury he suffered while in high school.
Didn’t realize he is that old.

I can't imagine a former coach under Stockstill would enthused a disaffected base.
Nobody connected to Stock ! Manny would be fine but I dont see that happening. Also, those articles referenced some coaches that could keep recruiting en tact. We don’t need that either. TN is not a hotbed for talent, and our recruiting was very weak.

Massaro’s presser was good I thought. However he said he got a little too emotional when talking with Stock. I’m guessing he started to cry. I’m not bashing him for that, but it does show he was tied into Stock a little more than he needed to be. He probably hasn’t been objective with his performance in the past, which is how we got to this point. He has to draw a line.

Willie Simmons
Scotty Walden
Buster Faulkner
Bryan Vincent

Not saying any of these would be bad, but I do hope we aim a little higher initially.
Willie popped up on Facebooks “people you know” friend suggestion tonight 😂

Reactions: subkyle

I don’t think Mitch Stewart and Scott Shacer are realistic options. Massaro knows he needs to “win” the fan base & I don’t think you do that by promoting the OC / DC of a coach the fans were tired of.

From a budgetary standpoint, Buster Faulkner makes sense, but I think there are probably some other guys higher on the list.

I‘d love for Elarbee to come home, but I don’t get the picture he’s on the short list at this time.

It’s very interesting to me that Jerry Mack (RB coach, UTK) keeps popping up on EVERY list.

The question I have is : Why?

Is that because some keyboard jocks are just going down the UT staff looking for a name or do they really know something?

As I’ve said before, I really believe Broyles Award nominee Manny Diaz will get a call. Will it go farther than that? I don’t know.

Willie Simmons
Scotty Walden
Buster Faulkner
Bryan Vincent

Bryan Vincent is probably a candidate for OC, not HC (depending on who the HC is). I don’t think you “win the press conference“ and unite the fan base by hiring the OC for the 4-8 New Mexico team that also fired their coach.

It’s very interesting to me that Jerry Mack (RB coach, UTK) keeps popping up on EVERY list.

The question I have is : Why?

Is that because some keyboard jocks are just going down the UT staff looking for a name or do they really know something?

As I’ve said before, I really believe Broyles Award nominee Manny Diaz will get a call. Will it go farther than that? I don’t know.

Those lists came out before the ink was dry. Every single one of those sites were darts at a board. And you can tell they just copied what another site had written. We don’t even have any local media that covers us. These others damn sure aren’t going to know anything - not this soon anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Nobody connected to Stock ! Manny would be fine but I dont see that happening. Also, those articles referenced some coaches that could keep recruiting en tact. We don’t need that either. TN is not a hotbed for talent, and our recruiting was very weak.

Massaro’s presser was good I thought. However he said he got a little too emotional when talking with Stock. I’m guessing he started to cry. I’m not bashing him for that, but it does show he was tied into Stock a little more than he needed to be. He probably hasn’t been objective with his performance in the past, which is how we got to this point. He has to draw a line.
The presser was brutal at the beginning and at the end. It did prove that he and Stock were too close and probably the reason this thing went on longer than it should have. I still don’t think Massaro wantEd to fire Stock, but was forced to by all the events taking place recently and maybe a little push from McPhee who was notably absent. Proof that the Good Ole Boy system is alive and well at Middle Tennessee State University
Another reason Massaro should not be in this job

Those lists came out before the ink was try. Every single one of those sites were darts at a board. And you can tell they just copied what another site had written. We don’t even have any local media that covers us. These others damn sure aren’t going to know anything - not this soon anyway.
That’s why the fact Jerry Mack popped up on footballscoop means something. Those guys don’t just report everything. They have a “in” on some level.

It may be Jerry Mack trying to throw his name in the mix. May be someone else.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT