ADVERTISEMENT

BRAA sets new record in fundraising

Not speaking directly for Chris, Lee, Stock, or anyone in the athletic office. Trust me : They hear.

Several years ago, when we sat down with Massaro for the "Pulling Back the Curtain" series, Massaro indicated he saw. He didn't always agree, but he read what was written.

And I know Lee listens. That's how the Blue Raider fan committee was formed. Fans asked for it. Lee (and others started it).

They listen. They may make different decisions than fans may like, but they listen.

Honestly, some of ya'll may not like the decisions I would make if I were AD. And that's fine too.
I get it and I appreciate you sharing that with us. My issue is when have they ever done anything sizable that make sense in the eyes of the fan? His argument works for decisions where there is a debate of what makes us better, like a decision to join the MAC or stay in CUSA and collect exit fees. Which decisoin makes MT better? There is an argument for both sides and they just have to pick one. I can respect that. Two options to get better, which one is more valuable.

In the case of the football program it's do we fire Stockstill, let him keep coaching as is or give him an extension. You would be very hard pressed to find anyone that would say extend him. Based on the trend, that would not help MT improve. We actually regress as other programs pass us by. There isn't even an argument to be made at all, let alone saying it auto renews at 6 wins. There is not justification for that at all.

I still think Massaro is the bonehead. He obviously has his hands tied, but if he had any skills and was in that scenario with his boss telling him what to do, he would have left to a better program years ago. By him staying in that role, it tells me he doesn't have any marketable skills.

When you made decisions, would you at least announce them publicly and explain your decisions?

They hear, but don’t respond. They give a contract extension and require a FOIA to find out. That shows a lack of integrity and is gutless.

How hard is to announce the decision, acknowledge some fans might be disappointed, and then give your reasons for the move? That’s integrity. That’s leadership.

However, ignoring a large group of our fans and handling business like this…..I question everything about that type of man.

And for Lee to come here and sunshine pump movement forward and not at least acknowledge the overwhelming disappointment with the extension news is very disappointing in him. We are not trolls on this page. We are the few remaining alumni who gave a damn. And they “listen” but can’t respond?

Its too hard to say we hear you, but here’s why we went a different direction?

Don’t you dare ask me for money/support, but lack the common decency to acknowledge mine or other concerns.
No one is ignoring you or not responding. Would love to chat. Please email me and we’ll go from there: Lee.deleon@MTSU.edu. Looking forward to to connecting!

No one is ignoring you or not responding. Would love to chat. Please email me and we’ll go from there: Lee.deleon@MTSU.edu. Looking forward to to connecting!
Lee:
I’m a grad school MTSU alum. Spent 18 months driving over to Murfreesboro at night to get my MBA at age 47. Never slept in a dorm or made any lifelong relationships in fraternities, etc. that are done in your 20’s undergrad years. I’ve seen this Athletics Dept., more specifically the Football program, go from a 10 win season in ‘09 and a bowl beatdown of So. Miss. in NOLA (coached by a former MT OC ) to what we have now for the past 13 seasons since. I gave and attended regularly after graduation in ‘05 because I enjoyed watching them beat Memphis, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
My personal opinion of the reason for the decline? The first stupid contract extension and the way it was pitched. It was downright insulting. There are two ways to mislead folks. By flat out COmmission (or lying,) and by Omission. They knew what our reaction would be when news broke of this 2nd extension Requiring someone file a FOIA to just get the news out is pretty telling. It breeds distrust and fan apathy. Insanity. Doing the same things over and over expecting different results.

Check most of our peer group institutions for the average tenure of the President, AD, and Head Football Coach. We’re closing in on almost 20 years for all three of ours.
That’s unacceptable given the undeniable drop in attendance, ticket sales, giving, community and fan support and a .500 won-loss record. The Athletics Dept. is dependent on an annual welfare check from student fees just cover the shortfall.

Like I told Hans over lunch, I’m out until the BOT cleans house.

Last edited:
Lee:
I’m a grad school MTSU alum. Spent 18 months driving over to Murfreesboro at night to get my MBA at age 47. Never slept in a dorm or made any lifelong relationships in fraternities, etc. that are done in your 20’s undergrad years. I’ve seen this Athletics Dept., more specifically the Football program, go from a 10 win season in ‘09 and a bowl beatdown of So. Miss. in NOLA (coached by a former MT OC ) to what we have now for the past 13 seasons since. I gave and attended regularly after graduation in ‘05 because I enjoyed watching them beat Memphis, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
My personal opinion of the reason for the decline? The first stupid contract extension and the way it was pitched. It was downright insulting. There are two ways to mislead folks. By flat out COmmission (or lying,) and by Omission. They knew what our reaction would be when news broke of this 2nd extension Requiring someone file a FOIA to just get the news out is pretty telling. It breeds distrust and fan apathy. Insanity. Doing the same things over and over expecting different results.

Check most of our peer group institutions for the average tenure of the President, AD, and Head Football Coach. We’re closing in on almost 20 years for all three of ours.
That’s unacceptable given the undeniable drop in attendance, ticket sales, giving, community and fan support and a .500 won-loss record. The Athletics Dept. is dependent on an annual welfare check from student fees just cover the shortfall.

Like I told Hans over lunch, I’m out until the BOT cleans house.
Ditto.

Reactions: Hop45
When you made decisions, would you at least announce them publicly and explain your decisions?

They hear, but don’t respond. They give a contract extension and require a FOIA to find out. That shows a lack of integrity and is gutless.

How hard is to announce the decision, acknowledge some fans might be disappointed, and then give your reasons for the move? That’s integrity. That’s leadership.

However, ignoring a large group of our fans and handling business like this…..I question everything about that type of man.

And for Lee to come here and sunshine pump movement forward and not at least acknowledge the overwhelming disappointment with the extension news is very disappointing in him. We are not trolls on this page. We are the few remaining alumni who gave a damn. And they “listen” but can’t respond?

Its too hard to say we hear you, but here’s why we went a different direction?

Don’t you dare ask me for money/support, but lack the common decency to acknowledge mine or other concerns.
Austin said GoMiddle is working on it. I’m sure Chris/Lee would prefer to do a comment with the person who broke the news so there isn’t any miscommunication. Wait to cast judgement until after Austin finishes what he started.

Reactions: C-Bow
Austin said GoMiddle is working on it. I’m sure Chris/Lee would prefer to do a comment with the person who broke the news so there isn’t any miscommunication. Wait to cast judgement until after Austin finishes what he started.

That’s the problem.

If it takes talking to GoMiddle and a FOIA to discuss the contract publicly, then I do judge Chris.

Austin should not have broken the story. They should have announced it publicly the day it was signed.

Chris should acknowledge fan/alumni concerns without needing an interview with GoMiddle.

I appreciate Austin and GoMiddle’s work, but that fact it was needed is another example why Chris Massaro is bad for MT.

Last edited:
That’s the problem.

If it takes talking to GoMiddle and a FOIA to discuss the contract publicly, then I do judge Chris.

Austin should not have broken the story. They should have announced it publicly the day it was signed.

Chris should acknowledge fan/alumni concerns without needing an interview with GoMiddle.

I appreciate Austin and GoMiddle’s work, but that face it was needed is another example why Chris Massaro is bad for MT.
FOIA was my idea to get to the bottom of the contract situation for Massaro, Stock, and McD.

As I now understand it, Stock's extension (to 2028, initially reported on Tuesday by me) was part of the automatic extension contracts in the earlier contracts. When Stock finished the 2018 / 2021 seasons with winning records, it triggered the automatic extension clause. Because of this, MT was contractually obligated to extend Stock's contract until 2028.

Because Stock's extension to 2028 was triggered by an existing contract, there was no PR release. When there has been substantial or substantive changes to Stock's contract, MT has issued releases and discussed it publicly (see how it was handled when Stock took the paycut in 2015).

I believe - but I can't verify this - the reason for a new contract may be tied to state laws re: length of employee contracts (I vaguely remember some things were said about this earlier in Stock's tenure, but my memory & knowledge of the law in this situation may not be correct).

FWIW, there's a time and place to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the contract & extension (FWIW, former DNJ beat writer Adam Sparks chimed with some insightful thoughts on this), but MT AD did not intentionally hide the extension. The extension was part of previous contract and thus, MT was obligated to comply with the existing contract.

For those interested, just listened to Thur 09-15 WGNS all sports podcast with Monte Hale. Excellent interview with Lee De Leon. I do like him & his enthusiasm. Speaks of rebuilding the fracture with fans that took place after Kermit left. As much dislike as many feel towards Massaro currently, you may be surprised by the earnest words that come from Lee. Have a strong feeling from where those all time high donations came about.

For those interested, just listened to Thur 09-15 WGNS all sports podcast with Monte Hale. Excellent interview with Lee De Leon. I do like him & his enthusiasm. Speaks of rebuilding the fracture with fans that took place after Kermit left. As much dislike as many feel towards Massaro currently, you may be surprised by the earnest words that come from Lee. Have a strong feeling from where those all time high donations came about.
In previous conversations with GoMiddle, Lee has been open about us desire / goal to rebuild & repair relationships & build bridges.

He’s engaged in ways that MT fans havent seen in a long time. And that’s good. Lee is extroverted. He’s perfect for this time and place.

Massaro - IMO - seems to be a bit more introverted. And that’s fine too.

There is balance in the force.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
The only question I have now is are the auto extensions unlimited? I feel better knowing this was just a prior contract that’s been renewing but I’m curious if that expires or not.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
FOIA was my idea to get to the bottom of the contract situation for Massaro, Stock, and McD.

As I now understand it, Stock's extension (to 2028, initially reported on Tuesday by me) was part of the automatic extension contracts in the earlier contracts. When Stock finished the 2018 / 2021 seasons with winning records, it triggered the automatic extension clause. Because of this, MT was contractually obligated to extend Stock's contract until 2028.

Because Stock's extension to 2028 was triggered by an existing contract, there was no PR release. When there has been substantial or substantive changes to Stock's contract, MT has issued releases and discussed it publicly (see how it was handled when Stock took the paycut in 2015).

I believe - but I can't verify this - the reason for a new contract may be tied to state laws re: length of employee contracts (I vaguely remember some things were said about this earlier in Stock's tenure, but my memory & knowledge of the law in this situation may not be correct).

FWIW, there's a time and place to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the contract & extension (FWIW, former DNJ beat writer Adam Sparks chimed with some insightful thoughts on this), but MT AD did not intentionally hide the extension. The extension was part of previous contract and thus, MT was obligated to comply with the existing contract.
He did not take a pay cut in 2015, he “donated” unearned bonuses (at that time) for the next three years in exchange for 3 extra years of base salary in excess of $800,000 a year. Everyone raise your hand if you would be willing to forego an annual bonus of $100,000 x 3 in exchange for guaranteed 3 additional years of base pay or $2.4MM.

I appreciate you doing the heavy lifting to get this contract extension information released, but they knew how this info would play to the masses if made public while launching BBB campaign. Sorry, Austin but I ain’t buying their explanation.

Bottom line, an extension is an extension. I don't care if it was a new contract or not. The fact that this program even signed an "open tab" in the first place is newsworthy. I'm not spending a dime with this school until the "open tab" auto extension BS is eradicated. We are now stuck with a .500 coach who is about as exciting as a corpse for another 6 years with a 6+ million buyout. It's insane and the results speak for themselves. MT is begging people to attend. My last game there last year, there were 200 people in the upper deck. The public doesn't want Stockstill. WE DON'T WANT HIM. WE WANT SOMETHING NEW. We will continue to speak with our wallets and turn off the tap from our side. I root for the kids, not the program at this point. There is no coach in FBS who has ever stayed at a program for 16+ years at .500. It's never been done until now. There's a reason for that. It kills fan interest and the overall progression of the program. It basically says "We don't care and you shouldn't even bother to argue against it."

Whether it was a new contract or an obligation from the previous BS contract, ANY EXTENSION SHOULD HAVE TO BE PUBLICLY STATED BY THE SCHOOL. It should be mandatory. It's simply shady not to inform us that we are stuck with a .500 for another 6 years with another 5 mill stacked on top. It's unjustifiable to me.

We now have to either hope we lose every game, Stock retires, or he gets hit by lightning or a bus. Empty aluminum seats at JRF proves this point. This is not emotion, this is straight up fact. Like it or not, Stock is a liability and has been for quite some time. Marshall fired Doc 2 years ago and they played in the CUSA title game and were ranked earlier that year. They blew their season and Doc was gone. Now, Marshall just beat Norte Dame at their house. That has re energized their fan base and support. They are also in a much better conference now. All of this matters but our AD and leadership doesn't think so. Doc Holiday was a way more successful coach than Stock has been. He at least has an outright championship along with multiple national rankings.

It's not an exciting propostion to extend this average coach and it's not going to be good for the program. We aren't happy about it. Other fans of other program are sending us condolences on other message boards. This is not good. The admin knew this and suppressed the sh!t out of it. Austin, you did a great thing letting us know about this dumpster fire.

If it takes an FOIA to let the fans know about something like this. That's a huge problem!

Last edited:

IIRC, in the old version of Stock’s contract (I believe MT01 or someone posted an excellent explanation on it), the auto extension portion was supposedly capped and should have ended. Meaning what happened in 2021 should not have auto-extended Stock.

Most people were under the impression that with all the previous auto-extensions we were obligated to him through 2025 and there were no more auto-extensions in his contract. That was obviously not accurate.

Somehow, that has changed. He has a new contract for whatever reason and we are bound to him through 2028.

So If he goes 6-6 any year before 2028, with this new contract, is he automatically extended again? Is there a limit on auto-extensions?

The fact we are contractually obligated to Rick Stockstill through 2028 due the terms of previous contracts and given the results on the field further solidifies that Chris Massaro is inept and unfit to be AD.

Bottom line, an extension is an extension. I don't care if it was a new contract or not. The fact that this program even signed an "open tab" in the first place is newsworthy. I'm not spending a dime with this school until the "open tab" auto extension BS is eradicated. We are now stuck with a .500 coach who is about as exciting as a corpse for another 6 years with a 6+ million buyout. It's insane and the results speak for themselves. MT is begging people to attend. My last game there last year, there were 200 people in the upper deck. The public doesn't want Stockstill. WE DON'T WANT HIM. WE WANT SOMETHING NEW. We will continue to speak with our wallets and turn off the tap from our side. I root for the kids, not the program at this point. There is no coach in FBS who has ever stayed at a program for 16+ years at .500. It's never been done until now. There's a reason for that. It kills fan interest and the overall progression of the program. It basically says "We don't care and you shouldn't even bother to argue against it."

Whether it was a new contract or an obligation from the previous BS contract, ANY EXTENSION SHOULD HAVE TO BE PUBLICLY STATED BY THE SCHOOL. It should be mandatory. It's simply shady not to inform us that we are stuck with a .500 for another 6 years with another 5 mill stacked on top. It's unjustifiable to me.

We now have to either hope we lose every game, Stock retires, or he gets hit by lightning or a bus. Empty aluminum seats at JRF proves this point. This is not emotion, this is straight up fact. Like it or not, Stock is a liability and has been for quite some time. Marshall fired Doc 2 years ago and they played in the CUSA title game and were ranked earlier that year. They blew their season and Doc was gone. Now, Marshall just beat Norte Dame at their house. That has re energized their fan base and support. They are also in a much better conference now. All of this matters but our AD and leadership doesn't think so. Doc Holiday was a way more successful coach than Stock has been. He at least has an outright championship along with multiple national rankings.

It's not an exciting propostion to extend this average coach and it's not going to be good for the program. We aren't happy about it. Other fans of other program are sending us condolences on other message boards. This is not good. The admin knew this and suppressed the sh!t out of it. Austin, you did a great thing letting us know about this dumpster fire.

If it takes an FOIA to let the fans know about something like this. That's a huge problem!

We have the explanation but no justification. It is purely indefensible. If there were anyone person in a decision-making position who had the best interests of this university, the previous errors in the then contract would have been addressed in this 'contract. There is no excuse for repeating the mistakes made in the previous contract.

It is simply indefensible. It demonstrates why so many of us feel divorced from the people in charge.

Am I understanding this correctly? State laws prohibited more automatic extensions so they made a wink wink nod nod agreement to circumvent the law at a later date? Does that make it ok?

Last edited:
IIRC, in the old version of Stock’s contract (I believe MT01 or someone posted an excellent explanation on it), the auto extension portion was supposedly capped and should have ended. Meaning what happened in 2021 should not have auto-extended Stock.

Most people were under the impression that with all the previous auto-extensions we were obligated to him through 2025 and there were no more auto-extensions in his contract. That was obviously not accurate.

Somehow, that has changed. He has a new contract for whatever reason and we are bound to him through 2028.

So If he goes 6-6 any year before 2028, with this new contract, is he automatically extended again? Is there a limit on auto-extensions?

The fact we are contractually obligated to Rick Stockstill through 2028 due the terms of previous contracts and given the results on the field further solidifies that Chris Massaro is inept and unfit to be AD.

Am I understanding this correctly? State laws prohibited more automatic extensions so they made a wink wink nod nod agreement to violate the circumvent the law at a later date? Does that make it ok?
I wonder - and please understand I am just speculating here - if the "extension cap" that has been rumored / reported before merely referred to the amendments / addendums MT could add on to the original contract. I'm not a lawyer, nor am I versed in TN state law for higher ed employees so this is purely speculative on my part.

If my speculation is correct, this would explain why the current contract was both a "contractual obligation" & a new contract. State law prohibited any additional amendments, but the contract obligated MT to extend him.

Nuts and bolts of the contract as it stands right now is that MT is contractually tied to Stock until 2028.

I wonder - and please understand I am just speculating here - if the "extension cap" that has been rumored / reported before merely referred to the amendments / addendums MT could add on to the original contract. I'm not a lawyer, nor am I versed in TN state law for higher ed employees so this is purely speculative on my part.

If my speculation is correct, this would explain why the current contract was both a "contractual obligation" & a new contract. State law prohibited any additional amendments, but the contract obligated MT to extend him.

Nuts and bolts of the contract as it stands right now is that MT is contractually tied to Stock until 2028.

Can Stock get another year added by going 6-6?

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
We revolt. It's the only thing we can do at this point.

Maybe the last game of the year, those of us that are left do everything we can - Fire Stock Banners, chants from the stands (there won't be anyone there to drown us out), sit in the front row and just heckle and yell all game long. Make it as uncomfortable as possible (until they throw us out). Tell the recruits not to come (if we can find any), make as big as stink as possible.

Yep, Nashville media just this past week reported that UT just had a large increase in enrollment this semester despite the downward trend for most schools. Great for all these other schools seizing the moment, but it really sticks in my crawl when I look at the current state of mediocrity at MT.

Honestly, I thought I had seen it all when, in Justin Fuente’s first season, Memphis still owed West a year and Larry Porter for two. Thanks to RC Johnson, they were still paying three Head Football Coaches in 2011.

Stock’s current deal could top that assuming he tanks this season, they cut him loose, and the next contract(s) aren’t as generous and suffocating to the school. I guess it will depend on who the AD and President are at that time. 😂😂

If his buyout is indeed 6+ million, he isn't going anywhere. We could finish 1-11 and absolutely nothing would happen. MT couldn't pay that buyout if world peace depended on it. We are flat broke and always running on empty.

If his buyout is indeed 6+ million, he isn't going anywhere. We could finish 1-11 and absolutely nothing would happen. MT couldn't pay that buyout if world peace depended on it. We are flat broke and always running on empty.
Exactly. Which is why we are outraged. Not just an extra year got added for 6-6 and a bowl win but 3-6 depending on the bits of info I've gotten. Something is definitely not adding up. We couldn't payoff the 3+ we owed. Now, we've just borrowed deeper than the product is even worth just to have it be the same. Bad business any way you slice it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez

Something doesn’t add up here with what you are saying. Let’s review the facts of the previous extension he received.

1. First and foremost he received that extension of an additional three years (for delaying his raise for three seasons due to cost of attendance) in 2015 that then took his contract through the 2023 season. This is one thing Mr. DeLeon needs to understands was a already huge slap at the fans demonstrating bad business. Chris stated how he was saving $400K over three years but the real impact was affording CRS an additional guarantee of about $2.5M. But most of all it was extending what had already been the demonstration of averageness. But I digress.

2. The contract called for CRS to receive an automatic raise of $100,00 and a year added onto the contract as noted above for meeting the benchmarks. But this again is where things breakdown.

3. First, the newcontract raised the bar to five conference wins and/or seven overall wins (not six). I have not seen what Austin uncovered but it’s sounds like it’s at six again. When did that happen? It wasn’t part of this new contract in 2015.

4. Second, there were also caps placed on the auto extension and auto raise. The caps occurred at five years if he met the benchmarks. So, 2020 would have been the last season he could activate the automatic benefits; however, CRS only met the requirements in those five years three times in 2016, 2017, and 2018, which have extended his then 2023 contract until December 2026.

So if what’s being portrayed here is accurate there was another change in the contract somewhere and it wasn’t just part of that new contract in 2015 (which is what Austin is claiming above).

Bottom line there needs to be a clear accounting of all this and some transparency from the athletics department. This whole thing amounts to the Univ trying to pull the wool over our eyes, and this unfortunately isn’t the first instance of this and each time the alumni base and fan base who actually give a damn about this program are treated like children who should just accept that they’re the grown ups and they know best. That paternalistic and dismissive attitude is the number one reason I have stopped giving and stopped attending.

Last edited:
Something doesn’t add up here with what you are saying. Let’s review the facts of the previous extension he received.

1. First and foremost he received that extension of an additional three years (for delaying his raise for three seasons due to cost of attendance) in 2015 that then took his contract through the 2023 season. This is one thing Mr. DeLeon needs to understands was a already huge slap at the fans demonstrating bad business. Chris stated how he was saving $400K over three years but the real impact was affording CRS an additional guarantee of about $2.5M. But most of all it was extending what had already been the demonstration of averageness. But I digress.

2. The contract called for CRS to receive an automatic raise of $100,00 and a year added onto the contract as noted above for meeting the benchmarks. But this again is where things breakdown.

3. First, the ne contract raised the bar to five conference wins and/or seven overall wins (not six). I have not seen what Austin uncovered but it’s sounds like it’s at six again. When did that happen? It wasn’t part of this new contract in 2015.

4. Second, there were also caps placed on the auto extension and auto raise. The caps occurred at five years if he met the benchmarks. So, 2020 would have been the last season he could activate the automatic benefits; however, CRS only met the requirements in those five years three times in 2016, 2017, and 2018, which have extended his then 2023 contract until December 2026.

So if what’s being portrayed here is accurate there was another change in the contract somewhere and it wasn’t just part of that new contract in 2015 (which is what Austin is claiming above).

Bottom line there needs to be a clear accounting of all this and some transparency from the athletics department. This whole thing amounts to the Univ trying to pull the wool over our eyes, and this unfortunately isn’t the first instance of this and each time the alumni base and can base who actually give a damn about this program are treated like children who should just accept that they’re the grown ups and they know best. That paternalistic and dismissive attitude is the number one reason I have stopped giving and stopped attending.

Very well spoken MT01 and you are dead on about another contract being signed. If he is indeed extended until 2028 with the potential to add more years based on performance, then there was 100% another contract signed and kept quiet.

We revolt. It's the only thing we can do at this point.

Maybe the last game of the year, those of us that are left do everything we can - Fire Stock Banners, chants from the stands (there won't be anyone there to drown us out), sit in the front row and just heckle and yell all game long. Make it as uncomfortable as possible (until they throw us out). Tell the recruits not to come (if we can find any), make as big as stink as possible.

3. First, the newcontract raised the bar to five conference wins and/or seven overall wins (not six). I have not seen what Austin uncovered but it’s sounds like it’s at six again. When did that happen? It wasn’t part of this new contract in 2015.

re 3 : This is on me. I dropped the ball and did not read close enough. The “new contract” actually “raises the bar.” I’ve been traveling for work so I’ve been out of pocket most of the day, but I read over initial contract (signed in 2013). This contract called for contract extension with 5 conference wins or overall winning record. The new contract calls for auto extension with 6 conference wins or winning 50% of games.

Re 4 : Since the original contract went into effect prior to the 2013 season, I’m assuming the various extensions & amendments covered the 6 straight .500+ seasons from 2013-2018.

beyond that, we’re getting to state law, contract law, and other stuff that I don’t have the ability to sort though on my phone as I lie in bed

re 3 : This is on me. I dropped the ball and did not read close enough. The “new contract” actually “raises the bar.” I’ve been traveling for work so I’ve been out of pocket most of the day, but I read over initial contract (signed in 2013). This contract called for contract extension with 5 conference wins or overall winning record. The new contract calls for auto extension with 6 conference wins or winning 50% of games.

Re 4 : Since the original contract went into effect prior to the 2013 season, I’m assuming the various extensions & amendments covered the 6 straight .500+ seasons from 2013-2018.

beyond that, we’re getting to state law, contract law, and other stuff that I don’t have the ability to sort though on my phone as I lie in bed

That’s not how contracts work. A new contract signed in 2015 would supersede anything written into the 2013 contract. IIRC the contract signed in 2015 specifically and explicitly stated his contract was good through Dec 2023. Keep in mind at that time - signed in the summer of ‘15 was an absurd eight year extension with the potential (through automatic extensions by meeting very low benchmarks) to 13 years and 2028, but he did not meet those benchmarks twice in the five year period. He parlayed that into 11 years in total. I do not understand how any of that got him then full 13. So, where are the two extra years coming from?

But beyond all that his contract has never stipulated extensions or automatic raises for championships. He would have received a minuscule bonus for such an outcome as a conference championship. Think about this. He got an additional $100,00 annual plus another year worth up to an additional $800 or $900K just for getting to average but only was due something like $25K or maybe it was $50K for a conf title. How f’n ass backwards is that?? The contract basically stipulates getting orders of magnitude more for a .500 than for winning a title. It literally boggles my mind.

That's why I'm not mad at Stock at all. We all would take a deal for nearly a million a year for 50% performance. You could say he should retire or resign on his own for milking the school etc, but in reality, the majority of us would stay too.

The standard level set, the length of time those standards have been allowed, and the deep hole it put the school in both financially and perception/conference realignment wise is 100% on CM and McP.

People can scream fire Stock all they want but this proves that won't and $ can't happen. All that anger we saw after the JMU loss needs redirected at the ones that allowed that to create any meaningful change. The average fan needs to see there is more than just a loss and .500 coach causing us to be in a bottom feeder conference with under 10k attendance at games.

Pretty simple.

You would only keep the extension private if you knew the backlash would be bad because it can’t possibly be justified.

When you have a contract that you know people would be excited to hear about and it would energize the program then you release it immediately, do interviews with media, etc. You are proud of what happened and you tell everyone.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT