ADVERTISEMENT

BRAA sets new record in fundraising

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
MT Athletics just announced a new fundraising record today : $8.9 million. This is up 300% over previous record.

This is cash-in-hand. Not pledges. Cash.

This doesn't count any CUSA buyout money that may have found its way to MT during last fiscal year.

Read about it here.

I have a special piece coming as soon as I can get to a faster video connection.

Thanks Austin! Surprised by the negativity on here when we're trying to promote the positive things happening with MTSU Athletics right now. Happy to talk to/meet anyone that wants to learn about the incredible momentum that we can tangibly feel in the athletics department. Exciting times ahead man. We're just scratching the surface!! My email is lee.deleon@mtsu.edu. LET'S GO BLUE!

Thanks Austin! Surprised by the negativity on here when we're trying to promote the positive things happening with MTSU Athletics right now. Happy to talk to/meet anyone that wants to learn about the incredible momentum that we can tangibly feel in the athletics department. Exciting times ahead man. We're just scratching the surface!! My email is lee.deleon@mtsu.edu. LET'S GO BLUE!

The negativity is because Chris Massaro is AD and Sydney McPhee is president.

They have both overstayed their welcome at MT for many of us on this board. Their actions over the past 15+ years alienated most of the fanbase.

I appreciate your efforts, but I will not give a dime to MT again until those 2 are gone. It’s sad, I love the school, but cannot support it financially while they are in Murfreesboro.

The more you are on here the less you will be surprised. We could win a national title in football and someone on here would make a negative comment about it meaning Stock stays. Keep up the good work.

The negativity is because Chris Massaro is AD and Sydney McPhee is president.

They have both overstayed their welcome at MT for many of us on this board. Their actions over the past 15+ years alienated most of the fanbase.

I appreciate your efforts, but I will not give a dime to MT again until those 2 are gone. It’s sad, I love the school, but cannot support it financially while they are in Murfreesboro.
Look, I'm not a huge fan of McPhee (IMO, it's probably time for him to ride of into the pastures of retirement) & I disagree with Massaro on a few things...

But, McPhee / Massaro aren't leaving anytime soon. At some point, the Blue Raider community needs to come together and unite. At some point, MT fans can't blame Massaro for every failure in the MT AD.

The Blue Raider nation needs to support football & give football the resources to COMPETE (sorry, folks couldn't help it). As someone who HAS worked in college athletics, the FB facility situation is not ideal. That's changing. Will change. And soon.

MT fans have begged for YEARS for someone to engage. To listen. To care. Lee is listening. Just jump on Twitter. He responds. Just look at the board. It's the 1st time that a MT AD staff has engaged on GoMiddle board under his own name since I've covered MT athletics (better part of the last 10 years or so).

Life has taken me away from the Boro, but the folks I know & trust back home say MT AD staffers are out. They see them at Chamber events. At coffee shops. They're engaging. It's what you've asked for.

We never get EVERYTHING we want (otherwise, I would have graduated from MT, stayed in the Boro, & died in the Boro). That's what I wanted.

MT fans have an opportunity to put aside differences (Re: Stock, Massaro, McPhee, CUSA vs MAC, etc) and transform the future. At some point, fans have to stop complaining & do their part.

Myself and three of my siblings graduated from MT. I have a niece and two nephews that have graduated. I have a niece currently attending. My son starts next year in the aerospace program. My second child already has her dorm life mapped at Middle and she is 14.

Welcome to MT Lee! We need people like you!

As a parent of a future student, MT is such a desirable school. I won’t go into what I’ve experienced as a future “mtsu dad” but MT is killing it from that perspective.

From athletics, I am tired of Stockstill being a coach. No championships and a .500 record makes this fan tired. I am cautiously observing Coach McDevitt. I don’t think Massaro has been the worst AD but he botched Rick’s contract. Rick needs to do the needful and retire.

I would love to contribute but there is that. Why am I tired as a fan? Because there are no changes. Status quo is ok.

The fact that you were able to do what you did is beyond an accomplishment. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Planning facilities upgrade supposedly for a couple of years, yet no public announcement or promotion until the week after MTSU is passed over by the recent big wave of realignment. Not a good look for leadership, nor a good sign of good energy. Maybe MTSU gets a good opportunity in the next wave, but MTSU just didn't appear to be a prime choice in the first round when half the conference left.

As for energy moving forward, maybe I'll believe it when I see 25k in seats for each football home game this fall. I see something like that, I'll gladly admit I was wrong about reading energy for MTSU athletics.

Whatever the case, maybe it's a good sign from a possible change in attitude in admin leadership that a @mtsu.edu shows up around here after a few years of declining attendance, media & fan engagement, and general mediocrity. So maybe that with increased braa donations is a positive sign, I just have not looked into the numbers to see if it's a few huge donations or actual fan driven grassroots donations. If more fan driven grassroots, then maybe that would be a good sign of overall increasing energy.

This much I do know: this board may not be populated with ultra-rich big money donors, but they are the hard core fans & alums that have been around here for decades! They may not give (or have available to give) the big bucks like big donors that the prez & AD rub shoulders with in the climate controlled sky boxes, but these are the fans & alums that are in the stands sweating in 90+ degree heat in September games. These are the fans & alums that are the very few (less than 3000 in the stadium) remaining in the the stands in November when it's 38 degrees, freezing to watch a losing effort or another inconsequential to the postseason game at the end of another year of mediocrity.
I'll add, around here you might even find one or two fans that have been the dedicated hardcore fans doing this since the 60s, I know for sure a few on this board that have been doing this since the 70s. The 70s! They are into their 6th decade of living & dying, hopeful & heartbroken, ecstatic & crushed with the successes or failures of their alma mater year in and year out and game in and game out. Me, I'm just beginning my 4th decade which is but one of many around here.

So I do hope there are some changes afoot. I do hope to see signs of change this upcoming academic/athletic year. I hope to see increasing energy, improving fan engagement and attendance, and last but not least a sign that the university leadership even cares about the thoughts and feelings of the alums and fans that have intensely cared about this university for decades. After easily several years of disregard, neglect, complacency, and mediocrity with not a hint of change, it will take at least some sustained action I can see with my eyes before I can believe and buy into actual change and increased energy.

Lastly, I'll be watching closely for signs of positive changes in athletics and the university as a whole this upcoming athletic/academic year not only as an alum and fan, but as a dad of my youngest that is starting her freshman year at MTSU next month with the fall semester.

An additional thought: let's not pretend that this forum is some place of horrible commmenters, extreme negativity, trolls, and general terrible attacks.

I may not be young anymore, but I'm not a boomer either. Plus, my college-aged kids eagerly fill me in on the realities of the internet where I might lack. Compared to the internet generally, this forum is a fairly decent place with decent folks. Especially compared to the 7 levels of hell that is social media, this place is a pleasant sunny afternoon in the park.

Yes, people do vent their frustrations about MTSU around here. I'm one of them. Sometimes we get a little testy with each other, even argue some.

On the other hand, there are many discussions celebrating or remembering big wins. Heck even now, people are posting their hopeful outlook for the upcoming football season in an ongoing thread. Many of those posting hopeful positive outlooks are the same people that were grumbling about football most of the offseason. There's nothing wrong with that. I think it's fairly normal especially for sports fans. When fans, enthusiasts, hobbyists, etc. closely follow the thing they greatly care about, they usually say, write, or post passionately even intensely about that thing. Compared to the internet in general, the people of this forum are pretty tame.

Look, I'm not a huge fan of McPhee (IMO, it's probably time for him to ride of into the pastures of retirement) & I disagree with Massaro on a few things...

But, McPhee / Massaro aren't leaving anytime soon. At some point, the Blue Raider community needs to come together and unite. At some point, MT fans can't blame Massaro for every failure in the MT AD.

The Blue Raider nation needs to support football & give football the resources to COMPETE (sorry, folks couldn't help it). As someone who HAS worked in college athletics, the FB facility situation is not ideal. That's changing. Will change. And soon.

MT fans have begged for YEARS for someone to engage. To listen. To care. Lee is listening. Just jump on Twitter. He responds. Just look at the board. It's the 1st time that a MT AD staff has engaged on GoMiddle board under his own name since I've covered MT athletics (better part of the last 10 years or so).

Life has taken me away from the Boro, but the folks I know & trust back home say MT AD staffers are out. They see them at Chamber events. At coffee shops. They're engaging. It's what you've asked for.

We never get EVERYTHING we want (otherwise, I would have graduated from MT, stayed in the Boro, & died in the Boro). That's what I wanted.

MT fans have an opportunity to put aside differences (Re: Stock, Massaro, McPhee, CUSA vs MAC, etc) and transform the future. At some point, fans have to stop complaining & do their part.

I see your point, but I disagree with you.

I have X amount of disposable income. My wife and I have ties to 2 other universities (with better ADs / Presidents / athletics), a few charities and family considerations. There are plenty of worthy causes and athletics that have shown better results for the dollar than Sydney and Massaro.

I would not continue to support an addict financially that won’t seek help and I will not support MT financially while M&M are in charge.

I would donate to a Massaro or McPhee contract buyout fund.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
First off @ldeleon5, thank you for being on this board. As Austin said, that is a HUGE step. Thank you for what you are doing for MT.

You will find as said, there are great people here, but frustrated people. McPhee and CM have done great things, but also let us down. The law school for example. Before your time but still on our minds. And Stock's contract is a very sore subject with us all.

We don't want to settle for our namesake. An avg .500 coach isn't what we want. There is no reason, ZERO reason we can't be a high G5 school. We don't expect Saban 12-0 11-1 every year. We do expect championships. Minimum every 3-4 years. Every class should leave here with at least 1 ring. We have never won an outright championship in FBS. Ever. We want no, zero, losing seasons. 2 in a row is grounds for dismissal, which oh yeah, we can't afford anyway because of the ridiculous buyout for a G5 coach that CM made (can't blame Stock for signing that). We want a coaching staff that isn't eating the TN retirement fund. I'd rather average winning 9 games every year and have to hire a new coach every 4 years because they get poached, than average 6 wins a year just to have "consistency" in the coach.

We want a ranked team now and then. Football has never been ranked in over 20 years of FBS. We expect bowl games we can attend. Bahamas and Hawaii are amazing for the players, but not for fans. Look at the number of fans that went to the Camellia Bowl.

We want MBB to be like WBB. Post season every season and ranked now and then.

We want big names to come to the Boro and we want coaches that don't treat them like a practice because it isn't a conference game. The average Joe we need in the stands, cares more we beat Vanderbilt, Minnesota, or Wake Forest than FIU or UTEP. We should play a TN school, and WIN, every single year. Show we are the best in the state. Vandy, Memphis, TSU, AP, ETSU, etc.

We want Murfreesboro to be MT. It wouldn't be anything if not for the school. It should shut down on Saturdays.

Winning cures a lot of things.

Silence from the AD over issues for years has many of us disheartened. You are a breath of fresh air and are very much appreciated, but more still needs to be done.

As said above by Duke, you won't find a more passionate group of fans than on this board. We may only fill up a few sky boxes ourselves, but we by far would be louder than the barely 10k fans you are averaging now.

So yes, there is negativity, but keep doing what you are doing, and it will change.
Let's get that Fan Committe going and get some fresh ideas flowing. Create an atmosphere that is more than just a game. Make it a destination in town.

I’m a fairly newer fan but I do have some disposable income. I work for a sales company and have a sales team that I manage. I have openly offered to donate to the school but I put a stipulation on it. I sent an email to CM laying out my thoughts about the facilities and if there was a response I’d donate. Follow up is something I preach to my teams so I’d expect that from any organization I plan to give money to (who really values me). I’ve yet to get a response and if he doesn’t care enough to respond I’ll hold onto my money. I’ve floated the idea about joining the BRAA but just haven’t taken that step. My email is everhetteglenn@gmail.com.

As far as my ideas I would like to see the upper deck run end zone to end zone and not hook towards the facility like the renderings suggest (I like symmetrical things). A new PA announcer was needed so I’m glad that change has happened (no one was fired like it should have been imo, just a retirement). We absolutely should be playing a local FCS team at home yearly. Why would we not want to bring in someone the fans know and will also bring fans to the game (no more Monmouth teams)? Make the student section on the 50 yard line behind the opposing teams bench. Do look alike comparisons on the video board like a lot of professional teams do (give away something for the fan that gets the biggest laugh from the crowd). Give the students a voucher for free food if they attend during the 4th quarter. For basketball I’d like to see cup holders on the seats. That was a pain with attending those games. Just some ideas, some are costly and some cost nothing but at least everyone can see them here.

You seem like I nice guy and I appreciate the effort (it's been a long time since anyone affiliated with MT Athletics actually seemed to give a crap).

But as long as Stockstill's the football coach - you've been sent out to sell a steaming hot pile of turds. Good luck.

RaiderDoug - Proud alum, MT class of 2005. With plenty of disposable income that will never go anywhere near MTSU athletics until there's a new football coach. But feel free to give me a call at the end of Stock's retirement press conference (whenever that may be).

I sincerely wish you well, Lee. Not gonna rehash what’s already been said. I expressed my concerns with Hans over lunch a few weeks ago. You are our 6th Senior Athletics Development Officer (/BRAA Director) since I became a MTSU alum and graduate in May, 2005, yet we still have a career .500 head football coach beginning his 17th season.

Congrats on the fundraising numbers, given what you have been up against. Go Blue!

I appreciate the engagement @ldeleon5. I understand you are new here, have a job to do, and are going to carry that positive outlook and do the job you were hired to do.

But you really have to understand the failures of the past from our current leadership to really appreciate the current situation. You might want to ignore the past and just try to be positive for the future, but that's just not how this works. McPhee in particular has been an absolute disaster for MT sports. The guy is literally on record last year saying "I now understand the importance of facilities" after we got passed up in the recent conference realignment. That comment was made last year, in 2021, and there have been talks about needing new facilities since AT LEAST 2006 when we were regularly and thoroughly losing recruits to Troy because of their superior facilties. I sat as a student in Rick Stockstill's classroom and heard he himself mention it along with his Director of Football operations Danny Lewis who stated it multiple times that our facilities are a joke for an FBS school. And that was in 2006/2007......I was actually dead set on going into college football coaching (thus me taking the classes) but was talked out of it by one of the MT coaches because of all the BS in the profession. He was miserable as a coach at MT (and took another job not long after). MT sports will never be anything special as long as McPhee is the President. He simply doesn't appreciate or have any desire to push our major athletics sports to the next level.

Stockstill, his staff, our fans, and anyone with an association to the football program have been saying we need new facilities for almost two decades now. Think about that Mr. Lee. Almost 20 years. Do you know what our football program has gotten in the last 20 years? A big TV and some new turf, and both of those additions were a decade or more ago. Yet now McPhee and Massaro think it's time to expand? They see the light FIFTEEN YEARS later after we get passed up in conference realignment? LOL. We are going to pay 200% or more for the same facilities now versus when we SHOULD have built them. See the mismanagement now? It's all just such a bad look and reeks of incompetence. But because they hold government bureaucrat jobs (and McPhee is definitely serving his peon purpose in Tennessee higher education) its near impossible to get them fired. I suspect now you are starting to understand why so many of us don't give money and refuse to participate in anything until there is change in leadership....

Even if we all gave $$$$ and cared, it's just too late. Realignment has happened, the cream is rising, and we are not anywhere near the top. We had serious momentum in 2009 when we won 10 games and had a superstar QB. We could have built on that and been the Boise St. of the east coast. We could have been building facilities at that time, helping to attract better staff and recruits, and pushed for championships and trying to be one of the best G5's. We could have tried! ……. But we didn't, because our "leaders" want to do everything on the cheap and never strive to be the best.

Sorry for the rambling, but we will be lucky to not end up in an FCS style conference/division before all is said & done. This administration didn't take football/basketball seriously and it's just too late to start caring now. The super conferences are starting to form and schools like us are going to end up where we belong (with other schools who give mediocre effort to their major athletics programs, the bottom)

Also, the town of Murfreesboro is an ungrateful POS. They don't appreciate or understand that MT built that city, and their profitable business wouldn't exist without the university. But they don't care, MT is taken for granted. We can't just move the university because the city sucks, so why would they care?

Last edited:
Several good posts on here, but they are all long. I like that Lee is engaging and motivated to try and maximize our potential. Something that M&M have been terrible at. For the ADD crowd, let me sum it up.

The lack of performance has made The fan base negative. They have every right to be and can you blame them? They barely got into CUSA years ago, now again they are passed up on any conference expansion and relegated to the most embarrassing conference in sports. Maybe locally in TN it’s fine, but at a national level, CUSA has become the lowest of low and MT admin seems to be fine wit just being average and never excelling. Mediocrity performance, terrible leadership and a lack of any drive to fullfill Potential has destroyed the fanbase.

I like what Lee is bringing to the program. My hope is we see results and he gets the AD job very soon. Massaro is the real problem.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Well since Lee sent me an email I guess I’ll shut up and join the BRAA lol. Hopefully more people jump on board so we can turn this thing around.

Massaro is the real problem.

I’m not excusing Massaro of anything but I think McPhee is by far the biggest problem. He has hamstrung our athletic department at every turn. He is the reason our football program has only gotten a big TV and some new turf the last 20 years.

McPhee is an academic that doesn’t understand the value and importance of a strong football and basketball program. He hardly seems to even care about the academics anymore (see law school) much less athletics.

at this point he is just milking his position for every last penny he can get. His approach has been and will remain one of “not rocking the boat.” He’s just trying to hang on as long as he can. Why would he stick his neck out for MT Football ? It’s too late anyway.

McPhee is a peon and puppet in the grand scheme of tennessee higher education. And he knows it too, and plays the role to a T. He is bought and paid for and will continue to make sure MT is a commuter school with no new professional programs and crappy athletics programs. It’s the McPhee guarantee.

He is an absolute cancer to MT and it’s future. Always has been and always will be and until he’s gone it doesn’t matter who the AD is.

I see your point, but I disagree with you.

I have X amount of disposable income. My wife and I have ties to 2 other universities (with better ADs / Presidents / athletics), a few charities and family considerations. There are plenty of worthy causes and athletics that have shown better results for the dollar than Sydney and Massaro.

I would not continue to support an addict financially that won’t seek help and I will not support MT financially while M&M are in charge.

I would donate to a Massaro or McPhee contract buyout fund.
That’s fair. I’m not gonna tell you how to spend your money. Money is tight.

I have ties to 5 universities (undergrad & grad) and my wife has connections to 3.

FWIW, one of the areas I disagree with Massaro is value of MT athletics. IMO, FB season tickets are overpriced (for families), given the results on the field. I don’t think you can market a 6-6 football team (avg results over the last 16 years) like a team that has won multiple championships (which MT hasn’t).

One of the times I spoke with Massaro, he described how he didn’t like promotions (like the previous AD did) because they devalued the product. I like promotions because they CAN create value, excitement, and engage new customers.

Since I was a little flippant in my previous remark and l respect @ldeleon5 's efforts here, i'd like to have a question answered.

From the president to the bottom of the labor market, we all have performance standards that we need to meet in order to be successful or even keep our jobs. I do. I'm sure you do as well.

What is the standard that our football coach has to reach to be considered a success by the folks who administer athletics? Is it a set # of wins? Should we average a certain amount of wins over time? How many titles are expected for the return on investment, over, say, a 6 year period (or make it 10 years if you prefer)? If we started our football program fresh, ala UAB, how many years would the MT AD give a coaching staff to produce a title before trying something new?

Now, I know you probably can't answer that for several reasons.

But, if you can't, i'd like to know what you personally, taking off the BRAA/Fan relations hat for a moment - @ldeleon5 - what standard would you feel would be reasonable for success or to keep you coming back?

You may not be able to admit it, but I seriously doubt your answer would be a .508 win percentage (which is only over .500 thanks to FCS cupcakes) over 17 FREAKIN YEARS without even a single trip to the top of the mountain in the form of a championship.

Completely agree with you there Austin,

When Larry Schmittou architected the Nashville Sounds in the 70s and presided over them during the 80s and 90s, his motto was to "get them in the stadium". Whatever it took. I think his "promotions" and just getting people in the door mentality is why the Sounds are still here to this day.

You could plan on getting to Greer stadium for some cheap tickets but Larry knew we would buy concessions or just come back......

Since I was a little flippant in my previous remark and l respect @ldeleon5 's efforts here, i'd like to have a question answered.

From the president to the bottom of the labor market, we all have performance standards that we need to meet in order to be successful or even keep our jobs. I do. I'm sure you do as well.

What is the standard that our football coach has to reach to be considered a success by the folks who administer athletics? Is it a set # of wins? Should we average a certain amount of wins over time? How many titles are expected for the return on investment, over, say, a 6 year period (or make it 10 years if you prefer)? If we started our football program fresh, ala UAB, how many years would the MT AD give a coaching staff to produce a title before trying something new?

Now, I know you probably can't answer that for several reasons.

But, if you can't, i'd like to know what you personally, taking off the BRAA/Fan relations hat for a moment - @ldeleon5 - what standard would you feel would be reasonable for success or to keep you coming back?

You may not be able to admit it, but I seriously doubt your answer would be a .508 win percentage (which is only over .500 thanks to FCS cupcakes) over 17 FREAKIN YEARS without even a single trip to the top of the mountain in the form of a championship.
I broke down the amount of P5 games Rick has had to face in another thread. As a new fan looking at it somewhat objectively, this OOC scheduling really set him up for failure. Mix that with the piss poor facilities and I’m honestly shocked Rick has managed a .500 record. I honestly don’t think he is the problem (with the exception of not being willing to change obvious coaching changes that are needed). There needs to be a change at the HC position not because of his inability to coach but because the fans are so far gone that is the only thing to potentially get them back on board. I do wonder if he won a CUSA championship if everyone would get back on board?

Reactions: Raiders_55
Completely agree with you there Austin,

When Larry Schmittou architected the Nashville Sounds in the 70s and presided over them during the 80s and 90s, his motto was to "get them in the stadium". Whatever it took. I think his "promotions" and just getting people in the door mentality is why the Sounds are still here to this day.

You could plan on getting to Greer stadium for some cheap tickets but Larry knew we would buy concessions or just come back......
Also, it doesn’t make sense to pay more for season tickets with only 5 home games. I could understand it but maybe they should set the pricing based on how many home games we have and not just a flat rate. Also, doing some multi game packs is always a great idea.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
............ I do wonder if he won a CUSA championship if everyone would get back on board?

One wouldn't matter sadly. Look at the small number who attended the champ game we hosted against UAB.

As you said, it will take a HC change to create interest again or winning consistently. As in 3 or 4 years of 10 plus wins and multiple championships.

And sadly I don't think that would help even against the "new" CUSA.

On all the notes in this thread, I'd love to see a data set on Stock's record.

Records against
G5 total
G5 finishing with winning record
P5 total
P5 finishing with winning record
FCS
In-state opponents

A true breakdown.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I broke down the amount of P5 games Rick has had to face in another thread. As a new fan looking at it somewhat objectively, this OOC scheduling really set him up for failure. Mix that with the piss poor facilities and I’m honestly shocked Rick has managed a .500 record. I honestly don’t think he is the problem (with the exception of not being willing to change obvious coaching changes that are needed). There needs to be a change at the HC position not because of his inability to coach but because the fans are so far gone that is the only thing to potentially get them back on board. I do wonder if he won a CUSA championship if everyone would get back on board?

No one is or would be upset over the P5 losses. We all know we're not Georgia. No one is demanding a playoff spot. We're not saying any MT football coach has to win at a Nick Saban clip.

There's only one real achievable measure of success for a G5 program, and that's conference titles. Yes, bowl eligibility is ok, and so is winning against your rivals (let's not mention this), and you can still have a "good" season even if you don't win a conference championship, but you have to win one occasionally.

And as to your hypothetical of "would a CUSA Championship get people back on board" - well, sure. To a point. I mean, if you finally deliver what you were hired to do after 18 years, i'll take it. But that doesn't mean it buys you another 18 years.

But then you're forced to wonder - on what strange college football planet does it take a "good" coach 18 years to build a program than can win the worst G5 conference in college football?

Any way you look at it, the Stockstill era has been a failure. And the longer the MT Admin's allow the failure to fester, the more the stink tarnishes Massaro and even McPhee and now the whole fan base is dwindled away.

Sell me a turd once, shame on you. Sell me a turd for the 10th time, shame on me. Knock at my door for the 18th time with a big bag'o'turds, and all the "positivity" you're trying to sell isn't going to get you very far.

I'm greatful for Stock, to an extent. He was what we needed after the Andy Mac mess and did a fantastic job bringing APR back up, getting scholarships back, and taking us to our first and a few more FBS bowls. First 10 win season. First votes in the polls.

That being said, the welcome is overstayed. It was time to move on many years ago. Problem is, the above was the cap. A program should continuously build higher and higher and we got to a good point, and leveled off. And in some instances moved backwards.

No one here 17 years should have a losing seasons after season 4 (when it should be all your own players) and there should never be a "rebuild" year for a coach who has been here over 10 years.

We are at year 18 and are predicted middle of the pack, with some outlets saying 4-8, some saying 7-5. With a tenure like that, we should be picked 1st or 2nd every year. On top of that he is not an outgoing run around town screaming coach, which is what a G5 school in P5 territory needs.

I totally understand those that won't give a dime or aren't hopeful until he and those who allowed the level to continue are gone.

Massaro is the 6th longest tenured AD in FBS.

Stockstill is the 4th longest tenured FBS coach.

McPhee is in the top 10 for longest tenured FBS presidents.

Look at those tenures vs results

I don’t think you can honestly justify any of those 3 still being here that long given the results. And if you can’t justify the men in charge being here, I definitely can’t justify giving the school money with them in charge.

It's unfortunate because none of them are going anywhere anytime soon either. There's always a small chance Stockstill retires, but I don't see Massaro or McPhee leaving until they retire/pass away. Why would they go anywhere? Little to no expectations in Murfreesboro and a more than generous salary....

God willing, I will outlive them and hope for better leadership once they finally do move on.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
One wouldn't matter sadly. Look at the small number who attended the champ game we hosted against UAB.

As you said, it will take a HC change to create interest again or winning consistently. As in 3 or 4 years of 10 plus wins and multiple championships.

And sadly I don't think that would help even against the "new" CUSA.

On all the notes in this thread, I'd love to see a data set on Stock's record.

Records against
G5 total
G5 finishing with winning record
P5 total
P5 finishing with winning record
FCS
In-state opponents

A true breakdown.
Assuming Western Carolina and Monmouth were FCS when they came to Floyd, I believe the number of early season patsy FCS wins is 9 over the past 16 seasons which, when removed from his win total, would make Stock 92-98 all-time against FBS schools or .484 winning pct.
McNeese St. pulled off an upset in Murfreesboro in 2012.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Stockstill is 0-4 against vanderbilt while andymac was 3-0. Stockstill has lost six, SIX, out of the last seven against wku. Your two nearest 'rivals'

Name any other school where a football coach with that kind of record would be allowed to achieve that low point and continue in their position. This is what angers the hell out of me. Call it negative or what ever.

There are lots of reasons for long time fans to have tuned out, more than the two I have listed. I have bought season tickets every season since Boots was brand new here (1979), and over the years I have donated thousands of dollars to the school, the BRAA, etc, but not for many years, and for years going back to Ramrod Simpson bought MBB season tickets, WBB season tickets since MT started charging separate for that, and baseball season tickets. I've heard it all many times before, and to a large extent McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill have absolutely no credibility with me and I suspect many others. At this point I am just hoping to be alive when their tenures here end.

Now I am in my senior years, fixed income, and not-the-best to middling health. It's not worth time or expense trying to convince me things are going to change for the better. I wish DeLeon the best in his efforts and will be rooting for him to succeed. This may be Massaro's best hire in well over a decade. I liked what I heard in the discussion with Austin.

Cynicism is addictive. Lots of addicts on this board, but I am hopeful their root is just wanting a better MT.

FWIW, I want to be the first BRAA and season ticket holder sold the minute we hire a new football coach. 100% serious. I have the cash, I want to see MT be great (or at least try to be great). I think good, competent people deserve our support.

I will not support the current effort though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT