ADVERTISEMENT

BRAA sets new record in fundraising

I commend those who can be positive, who want to be positive, etc.

But....

come talk to me when you've been here for 16 years with the same President, the same athletic director, same football coach, and the same mediocre results year after year after year after year after year after year....

And no changes are made. so what are we supposed to do ?

Last edited:
Your optimism is commendable. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will gladly be looking for further or follow up signs of positive changes.

If there is a growing groundswell of support to which I'm unaware, does this mean we can be looking for a commiserate rise of 300% in attendance at football games this fall? Admittedly, a 75% rise would likely be quite notable.

So yes, 300% increase in donations is quite an accomplishment. I do want to know if it is a widespread groundswell of support, or is it something more akin to a few really wealthy donors kicking in big bucks? The reason I think it matters is if it is a real sign of change with leadership concerning football, overall athletics, and the university as a whole? If a few donors kicking in big bucks, does this mean that those possibly same donors are supporting the ongoing status quo? By ongoing status quo, I refer to the seeming commitment to mostly empty seats on game day, 500 level performance in football, apparent lack of awareness regarding conference realignment, etc etc. Admittedly, it seems basketball just might be getting back on track, but football is the big revenue & attention getter especially regarding conference desirability.

My point in all this is that more signs of positive change are needed to convince me than this one data point that could mean a number of things. A good looking data point, yes, but some more are needed at this point in order to convince me.

Reactions: coachchia and Hop45
I view it this way.

Am I totally happy with McPhee, No.
Am I totally happy with Massaro? No.
Is it time to move on from Stock? Yup.

But I donated to BuildBlue because we need it. I bleed blue, and also belive this...

If people don't donate, no way Stock is going anywhere even if CM or McPhee wanted him to. So might as well add to the pot, and help the students and other sports. And with the new set up for BRAA, it's easier to donate to specific things.

One wouldn't matter sadly. Look at the small number who attended the champ game we hosted against UAB.

As you said, it will take a HC change to create interest again or winning consistently. As in 3 or 4 years of 10 plus wins and multiple championships.

And sadly I don't think that would help even against the "new" CUSA.

On all the notes in this thread, I'd love to see a data set on Stock's record.

Records against
G5 total
G5 finishing with winning record
P5 total
P5 finishing with winning record
FCS
In-state opponents

A true breakdown.
I think I did one years ago. Deep dive. Record of every game & win/loss record of opponent. Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment.

If it's in a GoMiddle article, it's probably in the Its Time for More, the follow up, or It's Time to Move on Follow up series

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Assuming Western Carolina and Monmouth were FCS when they came to Floyd, I believe the number of early season patsy FCS wins is 9 over the past 16 seasons which, when removed from his win total, would make Stock 92-98 all-time against FBS schools or .484 winning pct.
McNeese St. pulled off an upset in Murfreesboro in 2012.
If you're going to remove the "patsy FCS wins", isn't it fair to remove the $$$ games against SEC / Big 10 / ACC opponents

I view it this way.

Am I totally happy with McPhee, No.
Am I totally happy with Massaro? No.
Is it time to move on from Stock? Yup.

But I donated to BuildBlue because we need it. I bleed blue, and also belive this...

If people don't donate, no way Stock is going anywhere even if CM or McPhee wanted him to. So might as well add to the pot, and help the students and other sports. And with the new set up for BRAA, it's easier to donate to specific things.

It's sort of catch 22.

If we don't vote with our wallets, how do we let them know that this performance is unacceptable?

It's sort of catch 22.

If we don't vote with our wallets, how do we let them know that this performance is unacceptable?
I understand this sentiment completely.

Could a fan donate to Build Blue Now (so MT doesn't far further behind) but vote with their wallets re: tickets?

MT needs the facility upgrades. They needed them when I was there 15 years ago. They need them even more now.

Thanks Austin! Surprised by the negativity on here when we're trying to promote the positive things happening with MTSU Athletics right now. Happy to talk to/meet anyone that wants to learn about the incredible momentum that we can tangibly feel in the athletics department. Exciting times ahead man. We're just scratching the surface!! My email is lee.deleon@mtsu.edu. LET'S GO BLUE!
GoMiddle Raider Roundup Online Message Board. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Anybody remember when posters on here used to hassle recruits and tell them not to come to MTSU on twitter? All in the name of helping force change. Good times…

Reactions: subkyle
I’m just hoping to outlive Wiley posting constant negative material on here. Don’t think I’m going to make it. I’m young but that Guys like the energizer bunny…

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Not buying season tickets is understandable but not donating to facilities only makes the situation worse imo.
You are new to the party. There are high school seniors who were born the same year I got involved with the Stockstill era. You go with your heart but, you cannot shame folks into giving more after 16 seasons of this. To ignore the signs is just outright denial.

You are new to the party. There are high school seniors who were born the same year I got involved with the Stockstill era. You go with your heart but, you cannot shame folks into giving more after 16 seasons of this. To ignore the signs is just outright denial.
Facilities are bigger than Stock. I understand the frustration but not getting them completed is going to make it hard to attract what y’all want when he finally is done.

Facilities are bigger than Stock. I understand the frustration but not getting them completed is going to make it hard to attract what y’all want when he finally is done.

THIS

We need to create a place that when Stock is done, no matter if we trust CM to hire right or not, no way he will even have a chance if we don't show a commitment which to me means new facilities to at least catch us up to our peers. We need someone young and energetic to come in here and say "wow, this place is new, fresh. They've invested. It's a place I can grow and take to the next level and invest myself."

Don't want to donate to BRAA or tickets that is fine. But contribute to BuildBlue. That's how I look at it anyway.

should have been done 15 years ago

I think it’s too late. I think we missed our chance to be a household top level G5 program.

competition is even more fierce now and I just don’t believe the leadership we have in place has the desire to truly be elite. Even if the desire was there, I don’t think the resources ever will be. MT just doesn’t have the financial resources to be what we all want it to be. Not even close actually.

they say acceptance is the final stage of the grieving process. I think we all just need to accept what MT is and what MT always will be. A middle of the pack school in a bad G5 league. Basketball might have a bright spot here and there, but even that will probably fade away once ESPN outbids everyone for the next NCAA tournament contract and removes auto bids and it becomes almost exclusively power 5.

plus another recommendation came out recently that will be rubber stamped that will allow students to transfer as many times as they want without sitting. The deck is just getting more and more stacked against schools like us.

it’s too late.

Does anyone have any actual insight to lost recruits due to facilities.

I’m not buying that this is the reason we are where we are. Unless you can say something other than “we are so behind…”

Are there any coaches here in high school or other d-1 athletics that can share insight.

we certainly didn’t spare anything to pay Rick.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Since joining CUSA in 2014, what do the folks in Bowling Green, KY have that MT doesn’t have other than two outright CUSA titles ‘15, ‘16 and a 6-2 record against Blue Raider Football??
IPF? No.
Multiple Practice Fields? No.
Weight Room? No.
New Coaching Staff? Yes. x4

Same for UAB.
$4.2MM “covered pavilion” in 2017. You can see it from I-65 northbound. Looks like a Farmers Market.
2 outright CUSA titles in ‘18 and ‘20

It’s definitely not facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: subkyle
Since joining CUSA in 2014, what do the folks in Bowling Green, KY have that MT doesn’t have other than two outright CUSA titles and a 6-2 record against Blue Raider Football??
IPF? No.
Weight Room? No.

Same for UAB.
$4.2MM “covered pavilion” in 2017. You can see it from I-65 northbound. Looks like a Farmers Market.

it's all younger energetic coaching staffs that they lose recruits to

Since joining CUSA in 2014, what do the folks in Bowling Green, KY have that MT doesn’t have other than two outright CUSA titles and a 6-2 record against Blue Raider Football??
IPF? No.
Weight Room? No.

Same for UAB.

Like it or not, the football facilities at UAB and WKU are ahead of MT's. The football facility, meeting rooms, and locker rooms are significantly better at both programs (not to mention their stadium(s) are in much better condition for the fans).

WKU practiced on the game field most of the time when I was there. Still does (from the best I can tell).

As someone who covered recruiting for 10 out of the last 12 years, I heard "felt the love" & "family" A LOT when players committed to MT. Never heard facilities. But make no mistake : facilities make a difference and schools use it in recruiting.

Reactions: ewglenn and elamlee
Our facilities are a major problem and have been a major problem for a long time. If you don't believe that or see that I don't know what to tell you. I used to help Hutton run GoMiddle circa 2006/2007 when Stockstill first arrived. I believe we wrapped up around 2008/2009 and he handed the website over to Casey and I stopped most of my involvement at that time too. Danny Lewis was director of football operations at the time I was involved and he was my liaison for football information from the coaches staff. He was also coincidentally the teacher for the coaching classes I took at MT, so we developed a good friendship. He was very candid and objective about MT and routinely talked about our poor facilities. Heard the same from our players who I made friends with.

I also heard it frequently from potential recruits that I spoke to along with their families. And I'm not talking a handful of guys....I probably spoke to 50ish young men and their families every recruiting cycle. I feverishly called these guys not only to get the scoop but to encourage them to come to MT. Rivals used to (not sure if they still do) have a database that site administrators could access that had recruits phone numbers. I called every player on MT's radar. I was as bias'd as I could be because I was not some journalism major worried about all that stuff. I called these kids to get info and really just to encourage them to come to MT. I was living and breathing MT football there for a few years as a student and I'd like to think maybe helped sway a few kids minds. Never heard any of them compliment MT facilities, but definitely heard several that committed to other programs cite better facilities as a reason why they chose someone else over MT.

But beyond all that, to the point of facilities, we routinely lost recruits because of them. Especially when Troy and MT wanted a player, which happened very frequently. I'd say Troy got them 80% of the time if not more frequently. We could never seem to beat Troy in a recruiting battle (or on the field) and when I talked to these kids facilities came up nearly every time. Troy had a sweetheart deal with some movie theatre company that built them state-of-the-art facilities at the time. They were really nice. Plus DeMarcus Ware was tearing up the NFL and a big deal for Troy at the time, so it was nearly impossible for us to win in recruiting (or on the field) against them. They had much better facilities and a superstar in the NFL plus easy online classes and they took kids with grade issues too.

It's hard to imagine that we still have those same pathetic facilities from 2006/2007 that consistently lost us recruiting battles in the Sun Belt....but we do.

So, yeah. Facilities are a problem. A big problem. Not trying to make excuses for Stockstill....but we still have 1-AA facilities from the 90's. In the last 20 years all football has gotten is a big TV and some new Turf. Not gonna cut it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think context provides a lot.

it does make me want to contribute to the build blue or whatever it’s called but I also would be more willing after Rick is done.

like Doug, I would like to be a first to open up and give my literal 2 cents.

Awesome. Now break some dirt for a change and quit using this money to give stupid 6 year auto renewable extensions to lifetime .500 coaches who brings no excitement to an already lethargic setting.
We broke ground on our $7.1 million Outdoor Tennis Complex an hour ago. This is the first project for the Build Blue Campaign. We break ground on the $66 million Student-Athlete Performance Center in December after Football season. We're on track!

We broke ground on our $7.1 million Outdoor Tennis Complex an hour ago. This is the first project for the Build Blue Campaign. We break ground on the $66 million Student-Athlete Performance Center in December after Football season. We're on track!

Lee,

I am going to break my swear off for one more post.

When is Chris or someone from the athletic department going to address Stock’s extension and the fact it took a FOIA request for fans/alumni to learn about it?

I am associated with 2 other FBS schools and they publicly announce ALL their coaches extension. All of them are publicly announced.

Given the overwhelmingly negative response to the extension, does Chris or anyone in the AD plan to address this, at all?

Or is the plan to ignore concerns, stay quite and just move forward talking about the great things the athletic department is doing while so many fans or unhappy and disgruntled by Chris’s decisions?

Does anyone in in the AD care that so many of us are unhappy with their decisions?

Lee,

When is Chris or someone from the athletic department going to address Stock’s extension and the fact it took a FOIA request for fans/alumni to learn about it?

I am associated with 2 other FBS schools and they publicly announce ALL their coaches extension. All of them are publicly announced.

Given the overwhelmingly negative response to the extension, does Chris or anyone in the AD plan to address this, at all?

Or is the plan to ignore concerns, stay quite and just move forward talking about the great things the athletic department is doing while so many fans or unhappy and disgruntled by Chris’s decisions?

Does anyone in in the AD care that so many of us are unhappy with their decisions?
We (GoMiddle) are working on something.

We (GoMiddle) are working on something.
I appreciate it.

It should not be required. Chris should do what ever other FBS AD does and announce it publicly, without a FOIA. He could try to show fans the respect of directly addressing concerns.

It’s insulting to ask for money & act like he does. There’s really no justification for requiring a FOIA.

I appreciate it.

It should not be required. Chris should do what ever other FBS AD does and announce it publicly, without a FOIA. He could try to show fans the respect of directly addressing concerns.

It’s insulting to ask for money & act like he does. There’s really no justification for requiring a FOIA.
He can't show us respect if he doesn't have any to show. The last several years have just been one middle finger after another from him. If he thinks I'm going to give money or buy another ticket, I have one for him.

Lee,

I can help you out there. Massaro is clearly operating as a mercenary and carrying out someone else's mission (as evidenced by his lack of contract and stealthy operations). Someone is telling Massaro what to do and what not to do and he's doing exactly that. Mercenary, puppet, you get the jist. He probably can't take a dump at this point without reporting it to someone.

The problems with MT are systemic and can mostly be traced back to these "leaders." Steve Smith and his cronies have to be the ones driving the ship, and McPhee to a lesser extent. McPhee is more of a spineless enabler I suspect. He doesn't really care about athletics, just appeasing his overlords and hanging on for as long as he can.

I do praise Deleon for coming on here and at least engaging with us but at the end of the day he's way down on the totem poll and can't make any of the changes that we all want and need.

We are just gonna have to outlive all these incompetent, sabotaging, flat out crooked "leaders" at MT and hope that the next bunch of bureaucratic "leaders" are not as incompetent and dirty as these and have a sense of morality and ethics. For those of you already retired and well into your senior years, I truly do sympathize with you. It feels criminal what's happening here.

Last edited:
Lee,

Not speaking directly for Chris, Lee, Stock, or anyone in the athletic office. Trust me : They hear.

Several years ago, when we sat down with Massaro for the "Pulling Back the Curtain" series, Massaro indicated he saw. He didn't always agree, but he read what was written.

And I know Lee listens. That's how the Blue Raider fan committee was formed. Fans asked for it. Lee (and others started it).

They listen. They may make different decisions than fans may like, but they listen.

Honestly, some of ya'll may not like the decisions I would make if I were AD. And that's fine too.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Not getting my hopes up. I bet Syd '7wood' McFEE does not have the hair on his balls to announce the extension to the StockTract.

Not speaking directly for Chris, Lee, Stock, or anyone in the athletic office. Trust me : They hear.

Several years ago, when we sat down with Massaro for the "Pulling Back the Curtain" series, Massaro indicated he saw. He didn't always agree, but he read what was written.

And I know Lee listens. That's how the Blue Raider fan committee was formed. Fans asked for it. Lee (and others started it).

They listen. They may make different decisions than fans may like, but they listen.

Honestly, some of ya'll may not like the decisions I would make if I were AD. And that's fine too.

When you made decisions, would you at least announce them publicly and explain your decisions?

They hear, but don’t respond. They give a contract extension and require a FOIA to find out. That shows a lack of integrity and is gutless.

How hard is to announce the decision, acknowledge some fans might be disappointed, and then give your reasons for the move? That’s integrity. That’s leadership.

However, ignoring a large group of our fans and handling business like this…..I question everything about that type of man.

And for Lee to come here and sunshine pump movement forward and not at least acknowledge the overwhelming disappointment with the extension news is very disappointing in him. We are not trolls on this page. We are the few remaining alumni who gave a damn. And they “listen” but can’t respond?

Its too hard to say we hear you, but here’s why we went a different direction?

Don’t you dare ask me for money/support, but lack the common decency to acknowledge mine or other concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDeez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT