ADVERTISEMENT

Any of you a sales manager?

I am sort of involved in the hiring process. The guys that report to me carry duel responsibility of sales and service. There is a local branch and customer service manager that actually make the final decision as service takes precedence over sales but I do some interview stages and give input.

Then teke you can probably tell me. I interviewed Tuesday morning with a company and the interview was unlike any I have ever been around. Basically seemed like a meeting to see if I was someone they could have a beer with. I typically interview with situational questions like "name a time when" which I usually do pretty good. It was for commercial sales in insurance. I've been in the insurance business for nearly ten years, but right off the bat they asked if I had any sales experience - which I don't have. One question was if I had ever been in a fight which I thought was bizarre. After the interview he said he liked the fact that I was from a small town, but I really came out of there feeling like that was one of my worst interviews I have ever done. Just curious what sales managers are looking for when they interview because I have been trying to get into insurance sales for a while, and not life insurance sales. Seems like they interview a little different from other jobs.

They are so different from company to company and industry to industry it's hard to say. My guess is they are looking for a hyper aggressive sales guy since they asked the fight question but I could be wrong. Those can be lucrative but high stress.

Thanks man. I went into that one with no idea how to prepare. Felt like they were trying to gauge my personality more than anything. First thing out of his mouth was I had no sales experience so I figured I didn't have much of a chance of getting the job after that queation. Still good practice I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT