ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB #24 Middle Tennessee (24-4, 17-2) vs UT-El Paso (19-9,12-7), 2PM, Saturday, March 4, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Founded: 1913
Enrollment: 24,003
Colors: Blue, Orange & Silver Nickname: Miners
Series: MTSU leads 9-3
Facility: Don Haskins Center
Head Coach: Kevin Baker
Record at UTEP: 73-73 (5) Overall: 195-103 (10) 2021-22 Record: 14-15 2022 Postseason: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 7/6

Radio: WGNS 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM; 1450-AM
Talent: Dick Palmer (pxp) Duane Hickey (color)

TV: ESPN+
Talent: Jake Rose (pxp) Daron Park (color)

Last edited:
#121 net ranked UTEP represents the only team MT has not beaten in the regular season. That comes to an end with a big blowout & a little bit of revenge tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Of note -- Louisville is currently crushing ACC #1 seed Notre Dame in the semifinals of their tournament. That win keeps looking better and better.

ALEXIS WHITTINGTON: Follow your shot. Every game there are several shots she takes where she just fades back down the court and doesn't even try to rebound when if she hadn't moved from the spot she shot the ball, she'd have gotten the offensive rebound! She is such a talented player and super high basketball IQ, that's one area that it seems like defenders often don't check her like they should and she can make a big impact on the offensive glass even more so than she already does!

Last edited:
Unacceptable that the lead of 15 has fallen apart without timeouts being called or any sort of adjustment by Insell. Just standing around watching it happen, like usual. And a total bulls*** call against Boldyreva for an "intentional" when trying to box out. Give me a break

Very glad we won this one and the Senior Night was a big win, this should wrap up an at-large bid assuming nothing crazy happens in the next week. Team showed a lot of fight BUT we should have not even been in this situation!

Touching to see the emotions on display during end of game celebration.
On the other hand, UTEP exhibited a number of our flaws. 3 point shooting, ability to maintain a lead, & addressing time outs when needed are of major concern. Sad to say I agree on the likelihood of 1 & done again this year

I'll withhold judgement on whether the 1 and done is likely until we see how the conference tournament goes. I think UTEP is a bad matchup for us for whatever reason, but I think we have a real shot this year to do some damage in the NCAAs. And I think we've secured an at large by winning today.

I thought the loss to UTEP there was a fluke but they have a really good and tough team. Officials were very inconsistent. I don't think I have ever seen a player foul out with 5 of the most ticky-tack fouls like Savannah did. Also, their coach started cussing our bench in the first half and CRI had to almost hold Matt to keep him from going after their coach. He also started jawing with fans behind the scorers table.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
One other thing. Who was the person the entire team went up to see in stands and present her a ball?

I'll withhold judgement on whether the 1 and done is likely until we see how the conference tournament goes. I think UTEP is a bad matchup for us for whatever reason, but I think we have a real shot this year to do some damage in the NCAAs. And I think we've secured an at large by winning today.
Definitely hope my feeling was an overreaction. Im sure as all of us were expecting a much more comfortable victory than what occurred. On the positive side 2 of our more recent victories have been won in closely contested fashion. We do need those kind of nail biter wins going into tournaments. Most of our prior wins were comfortable double digits, & the few losses were all of the close nerve racking variety. Hopefully these type of wins will allow us to have stronger & more steady nerves in Frisco & elsewhere.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Gonna tip my hat to UTEP and be happy we won this one. We just couldn't put them away. I thought we played a good defensive game although UTEP put together a couple of spurts where they couldn't miss. At one point they scored 11 points in two minutes to end the first quarter, yet only had 28 points total midway thru the 3rd period. They were aggressive and we struggled to find consistency. And at the end of the day, had they hit their free throws, they probably would have won. But they didn't. My two cents on some comments above:

Officials: just some jaw dropping inconsistency. One trip they let them wrestle with no call then next trip it's, oops you brushed her and they call it. That said, Wheeler did get the short end of the stick. But, I thought we got some go our way too.

The Coaches: I am not sure what provoked it but what I saw was the very animated UTEP coach way out of the coaches box. Matt Insell was yelling at the refs to look and they were ignoring him. Matt started yelling and motioning as if to tell the coach he needed to back up. Then the UTEP coach had some words in return to which Matt had a response and CRI had to settle him down.
Meanwhile, something from the stands stuck in the coaches ear because he later had some verbal exchanges with some of the fans. It was obvious that the coaches and players from UTEP were very emotionally charged for this game. We all know we have a target on our back and we are the big game for most teams. They were out to prove game one wasn't a fluke while many of us, myself included, expected us to come out and smack them around in a revenge game. I didn't care for their demeanor, but they scratched and clawed and stayed in it. They have most of their kids back too. Definitely a program on the rise that matches up with us well. Would rather not be in a position to see them again next week.

Anastasiia Foul: She did it. I just happened to be watching when it happened. While she was boxing out, she also positioned her hand against the other girls head and gave her an added shove to the face. The other girls sold it, but Anastasiia did it. Maybe it wasn't intentional and with her height it's easier for her to accidentally knock someone in the grill. From my vantage point, it didn't look accidental. There was clearly an extra shove with intention.

One and Done in the Big Dance? Hopefully the answer is no. Sceptical to think otherwise. I'm still not convinced this team has played a complete four quarter game all year. So we are due. And if we do, we can hang with about anyone. Yet the fact that we haven't scares me. By now, we should have. The 30 point quarter followed by 30 points total for the next three quarters scares me. This team can do it. They can make a solid run although sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he blow a 20 point lead and lose in round one.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Gonna tip my hat to UTEP and be happy we won this one. We just couldn't put them away. I thought we played a good defensive game although UTEP put together a couple of spurts where they couldn't miss. At one point they scored 11 points in two minutes to end the first quarter, yet only had 28 points total midway thru the 3rd period. They were aggressive and we struggled to find consistency. And at the end of the day, had they hit their free throws, they probably would have won. But they didn't. My two cents on some comments above:

Officials: just some jaw dropping inconsistency. One trip they let them wrestle with no call then next trip it's, oops you brushed her and they call it. That said, Wheeler did get the short end of the stick. But, I thought we got some go our way too.

The Coaches: I am not sure what provoked it but what I saw was the very animated UTEP coach way out of the coaches box. Matt Insell was yelling at the refs to look and they were ignoring him. Matt started yelling and motioning as if to tell the coach he needed to back up. Then the UTEP coach had some words in return to which Matt had a response and CRI had to settle him down.
Meanwhile, something from the stands stuck in the coaches ear because he later had some verbal exchanges with some of the fans. It was obvious that the coaches and players from UTEP were very emotionally charged for this game. We all know we have a target on our back and we are the big game for most teams. They were out to prove game one wasn't a fluke while many of us, myself included, expected us to come out and smack them around in a revenge game. I didn't care for their demeanor, but they scratched and clawed and stayed in it. They have most of their kids back too. Definitely a program on the rise that matches up with us well. Would rather not be in a position to see them again next week.

Anastasiia Foul: She did it. I just happened to be watching when it happened. While she was boxing out, she also positioned her hand against the other girls head and gave her an added shove to the face. The other girls sold it, but Anastasiia did it. Maybe it wasn't intentional and with her height it's easier for her to accidentally knock someone in the grill. From my vantage point, it didn't look accidental. There was clearly an extra shove with intention.

One and Done in the Big Dance? Hopefully the answer is no. Sceptical to think otherwise. I'm still not convinced this team has played a complete four quarter game all year. So we are due. And if we do, we can hang with about anyone. Yet the fact that we haven't scares me. By now, we should have. The 30 point quarter followed by 30 points total for the next three quarters scares me. This team can do it. They can make a solid run although sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he blow a 20 point lead and lose in round one.
Good analysis & points

Reactions: crassyblue
Their coach has always been an interesting one in terms of attitude. He’s definitely a good coach but he’s a firecracker too - kind of like Matt, so I’m not surprised they were yelling at one another. However, as much as we worry about Matt, he is a little bit more extreme in terms of the behavior from what I’ve seen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT