ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-4) vs Wofford (2-5), 6:30PM, Saturday, December 2, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 1,823
Arena: Richardson Indoor Stadium (3,400)
Colors: Black & Gold Nickname: Terriers
Conference: Southern
Series with MT: First Meeting
Head Coach: Dwight Perry Record at School: 12-12 (2nd Season) Career: 12-12 (2nd Season)
2022-23 Record:17-16, 8-10 2022-23 Finish: 5th SoCon 2022-23 Postseason: SoCon Semifinals
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 7/9
Roster: Terriers

Classic Hits 93.3 - 95.1 - WGNS 101.9 FM/1450 AM/100.5FM

Last edited:
Wofford has decent history for a MM program. They were a 30-5 7-seed in the 2019 NCAAT. However they really haven’t been able to rekindle that level since Mike Young left for VT.

They were picked 8th out of 10 in the SoCon coaches poll. 7th on the Almanac. They won their first game against a non-D1, their second game against High Point by 1, and have lost five straight since.

They are pretty pathetic defensively per KenPom, ranking 321st in overall defense. They foul a lot. They don’t force turnovers. Bad transition D. All are indications of a team that lacks athleticism. You would assume that’s good news for a team like Middle Tennessee. They do shoot a lot of 3s, 47% of their shots are from behind the arc, 21st in the country.

Never got to write an article this week like I wanted, but would really like Middle to go three wings/forwards and no center in a routine basis, mainly because the center position is such a mess. Ogundele is our best option but has glimpses of being an extreme liability athletically and the conditioning isn’t there for him to play extended minutes. Loofe is simply young physically and mentally.

And that leaves JCJ. He has 27 out of the 110 player turnovers on the season. That’s close to 25%. One quarter of the turnovers from one player. I don’t even blame him much anymore. I simply think he’s being asked to do things that are beyond his capabilities. He had a very good 2H in their only Nassau tournament win against UMKC. The key with him is not putting him in facing the basket ball handling or dribble drive. Give him the ball at normal spots for the center and slow down forcing him into the role Dishman played last year. He has some unique ability for a guy his size but needs to be put in better position for success.

We’ve talked about O’zhell Jackson’s playing time. I’m really happy with what I’ve seen so far. The advanced data likes him even more: he’s 2nd on the team in Net Rtg, and 1st in BPM, WSper40, and PER. Only averaging 11 mins a game. He’s not gonna give you the physicality JCJ or Ogundele are. Post offense and defense will take a hit. But I think giving him opportunity as a pseudo-5 makes a lot of sense. Again, don’t think CNM prefers to play like that, but we will see.

Laslty, I gotta bring up Jalen Jordan’s last game in The Bahamas. Kid had 21 points, which was more than any other Blue Raider in any game this season. Wouldn’t it be some story book stuff if he came in and gave the offense the savvy and skilled guard play they so desperately need. I’m still not all the way there, more just hoping than speculating. Just can’t be understated how difficult his journey has been and probably still is. All that said, the guy deserves major props for being this good this early.

Wofford has decent history for a MM program. They were a 30-5 7-seed in the 2019 NCAAT. However they really haven’t been able to rekindle that level since Mike Young left for VT.

They were picked 8th out of 10 in the SoCon coaches poll. 7th on the Almanac. They won their first game against a non-D1, their second game against High Point by 1, and have lost five straight since.

They are pretty pathetic defensively per KenPom, ranking 321st in overall defense. They foul a lot. They don’t force turnovers. Bad transition D. All are indications of a team that lacks athleticism. You would assume that’s good news for a team like Middle Tennessee. They do shoot a lot of 3s, 47% of their shots are from behind the arc, 21st in the country.

Never got to write an article this week like I wanted, but would really like Middle to go three wings/forwards and no center in a routine basis, mainly because the center position is such a mess. Ogundele is our best option but has glimpses of being an extreme liability athletically and the conditioning isn’t there for him to play extended minutes. Loofe is simply young physically and mentally.

And that leaves JCJ. He has 27 out of the 110 player turnovers on the season. That’s close to 25%. One quarter of the turnovers from one player. I don’t even blame him much anymore. I simply think he’s being asked to do things that are beyond his capabilities. He had a very good 2H in their only Nassau tournament win against UMKC. The key with him is not putting him in facing the basket ball handling or dribble drive. Give him the ball at normal spots for the center and slow down forcing him into the role Dishman played last year. He has some unique ability for a guy his size but needs to be put in better position for success.

We’ve talked about O’zhell Jackson’s playing time. I’m really happy with what I’ve seen so far. The advanced data likes him even more: he’s 2nd on the team in Net Rtg, and 1st in BPM, WSper40, and PER. Only averaging 11 mins a game. He’s not gonna give you the physicality JCJ or Ogundele are. Post offense and defense will take a hit. But I think giving him opportunity as a pseudo-5 makes a lot of sense. Again, don’t think CNM prefers to play like that, but we will see.

Laslty, I gotta bring up Jalen Jordan’s last game in The Bahamas. Kid had 21 points, which was more than any other Blue Raider in any game this season. Wouldn’t it be some story book stuff if he came in and gave the offense the savvy and skilled guard play they so desperately need. I’m still not all the way there, more just hoping than speculating. Just can’t be understated how difficult his journey has been and probably still is. All that said, the guy deserves major props for being this good this
Good stuff and much appreciated! A friendly word of advice from an old dude. The most overused word today is “pathetic “. It’s everywhere. You are good at what you are doing, don’t fall into the trap of using trite phrases. You’re better than that!

Great article. Nice breakdown of players strengths & weaknesses

Yeah I think Nick’s days are numbered. Anyone know what his buyout is?

No adjustments that this untrained eye could see. They just beat our guys in the paint all night long. Very unhappy with this 'team' - wonder if Massaro and McPhee are still in firing mode, because there was no excuse for this loss. NONE.

It takes effort to be that bad.

Was pretty obvious to me after the UIC game that this is a bad team with bad coaches. It was already very questionable at that point.

Outside of one year (Sims and Jefferson's senior seasons) Nick's teams have never been able to put the ball in the basket. And you ain't gonna win nothin' if you can't do the most fundamental thing in basketball, put the ball in the basket.

They had better find a new coach, and fast.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I’ve made excuses for Nick but this one is inexcusable, it’s time for him to go too. We have to start demanding results if this university is going to take off.
Amen. It's beyond messed up that we win champs in tennis, softball, track, x country, wbb, and even volleyball made invitational tourney this year. But the two main revenue sports that support those have sucked. Imagine what this athletic dept could accomplish with those two really performing well.

So frustrating. CUSA hoops was supposed to be the real deal this year with our new additions. But everyone has played like crap mostly in their OOC games....and we've been right there alongside them playing like trash also. CUSA hoops looking like a joke, just like our basketball team.

I have to agree the McDevitt era has been a failure. The next phase will be remodeling & upgrading the Murphy Center. I don't care how beautiful an arena is, if you have a lousy product no one will show up.
A new coach & staff needs to be in place at least a year prior to completion of the upgrades to get a better product going on the court for fan support.
How much desire will there be to come into a new beautiful arena if your team's record the previous year was 13-17? That appears to be the direction we're heading towards.
If we can afford $750k annually for the present coach the same or better can be done for the next. The Murphy Center deserves a better product than what it's gotten recently.

It takes effort to be that bad.

Was pretty obvious to me after the UIC game that this is a bad team with bad coaches. It was already very questionable at that point.

Outside of one year (Sims and Jefferson's senior seasons) Nick's teams have never been able to put the ball in the basket. And you ain't gonna win nothin' if you can't do the most fundamental thing in basketball, put the ball in the basket.

They had better find a new coach, and fast.
It was pretty evident to me about five and half to six years go but I will just shut up now.

Dead serious when I say I feel for Kingaling. I supported Larry Porter as a personal friend through 2 awful years of Memphis Football after West left the program in shambles and an empty recruiting board.
Unfortunately, as a career position Coach and recruiter, Larry was the cost effective hire for RC Johnson and he wasn’t prepared for the job. Sound familiar???

McDevitt is just not the guy and the records previously mentioned in above posts are evidence of it. Losing to Western Carolina and Wofford (at home) in Season 6 is unacceptable and indefensible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT