ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Your Starting 5?

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
Saw this on twitter. Who you guys going with?

For the record, I went with Kanaskie, Knight, Cuffee, Jones and Dendy.

From my time watching MT Bball
1) tommy gunn
2) Boogie Yates
3) LaRon Dendy
4) Shawn Jones
5) Marcos Knight/ John Humphrey

Oh I just saw from the Davis era I think tommy and Hump might have been right before he got here

Man that's tough. The best true point was Massey. Dendy was a program changer. Jones was a dominant force and legit POY. After that it gets tough. The last two spots to squeeze in Reggie, Knight, kanaskie, Potts, Yates, etc gets pretty tough.

Potts, knight, cuffee, jones, dendy or Upshaw. I have strong pulling for Humphrey and Massey though. Upshaw may be the best after all is said and done though. He has been so strong for us the past few years. Hard to contain him.

Man I totally forgot about Boogie! I'd probably slot him in over Cuffee now that I think about it. I mean, how do you leave the programs all time scoring leader off the list??

My honorable mentions are Potts and Upshaw. Need to see how their careers finish out. Oh, and Nigel Johnson, too. Always loved what he brought to the table.

Starting 5 for me is Massey, Knight, Gunn, Dendy, and Jones.

Off the bench I've got Tweety Knight, Ray Cintron, Giddy Potts, Kerry Hammonds, Yates, Cuffee, and Reggie Upshaw

My rationale for my bench group is that I can hound opposing point guards all game with Tweety backing up Massey. I've got instant offense with Ray and Giddy. Hammonds is there as a defensive option against bigger guards. Yates, Cuffe, and Upshaw provide all kinds of versatility between them. Toughest guy for me to leave off is J.T. Sulton.

I agree with Hop. Massey is the best point guard of the CKD era, and it's not close. Arguably the best defender as well. Marcos Knight was better at creating his own shot than any I can remember (something our guys struggle with). Boogie is our all-time leading scorer, and didn't have a lot of help some years. Shawn Jones was CUSA POY, which I think some people forget even though ti was only two years ago. And Dendy was the first truly dominant player we had had in some time, and changed the trajectory of the program.

There is still time for guys like Giddy and Reggie to make a case for my list, but I'm trying not to get too caught up in the highs we've all felt as a program this season. Giddy is a fantastic catch and shoot guy but still has a lot of growing to do as a player. And Reggie has done some great things and will certainly go down as one of our best four-year guys, but I've never felt like he was a dominant player; he still has a hard time finishing at the rim sometimes, though that has improved. Love both guys, though!

One thing that struck me when thinking about all this was just how deep we were from 2011-2014. Of some guys I didn't name, Cintron, Sulton, Hammonds, Tweety, Hunter, all were huge contributors. Even guys like Gallman, Jason Jones, Rozier, Walker and Terrance could and did help the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT