ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL VaTech

Nice! I like that they play here first, which keeps them from buying our game out later after we play at their place.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Finally, some smart scheduling with a another P5 team. The ACC plays ball with us better than any other P5 conference.

Oh man oh man I can’t wait for this. I’ll for sure come to the Boro for this and Blacksburg is only 45 min from me. Shoot yeah!

And yes. They will travel extremely well.

Oh man oh man I can’t wait for this. I’ll for sure come to the Boro for this and Blacksburg is only 45 min from me. Shoot yeah!

And yes. They will travel extremely well.
The game will probably be sold out in Murfreesboro -- and, if we aren't careful, it'll be mostly VT fans. They travel extremely well. Impressed by this move and hope we can be competitive and fill the stadium with blue for the game.

The game will probably be sold out in Murfreesboro -- and, if we aren't careful, it'll be mostly VT fans. They travel extremely well. Impressed by this move and hope we can be competitive and fill the stadium with blue for the game.
I thought the same thing, but MT has failed to sell out Floyd against Vanderbilt (2x), Georgia Tech, and Mississippi State.

Well, we will fly in from Dallas for this one. We will probably travel to VA Tech as well. Be Proud, Be Loud, Be Blue.. We will need a new QB, a great o line, and some defensive.. LOL

I thought the same thing, but MT has failed to sell out Floyd against Vanderbilt (2x), Georgia Tech, and Mississippi State.
Fortunately this is going to be earlier in the year. Nobody cares about Vandy (just being realistic), MSU was frozen and horrible (understandably poor crowd), and GT was almost sold out fully. I think there is a high likelihood it will happen especially if those tarps remain down.

Last edited:
Fortunately this is going to be earlier in the year. Nobody cares about Vandy (just being realistic), MSU was frozen and horrible (understandably poor crowd), and GT was almost sold out fully. I think it’ll happen especially if those tarps remain down.
Yes x 3.

I've learned to never count my sellout before the game is over with MT...with MT's luck, the VaTech will be played in the remnants of a Category 5 hurricane.

Yes x 3.

I've learned to never count my sellout before the game is over with MT...with MT's luck, the VaTech will be played in the remnants of a Category 5 hurricane.
Well, we’ve never had one, so that’s certainly fair. However we’ve also never hosted a team of VT’s caliber and fan base. BYU maybe was close, but then again they’re not a perennial power nor a big draw for the average couch fan in Rutherford County... as you say, hopefully not a hurricane outside...

Reactions: AustinLewis
Meh. The average rutherford county couch potato football fan doesn't know anything but $ec and only that league's schools that they can go to Wal-Mart and buy a team t-shirt. They don't know VaTech from LaTech. Do not expect them to boost attendance at all.

I'd be pleased if VaTech fans helped Floyd get that long unattainable sell out, even if to do that Massaro keeps the tarps on. But I will believe it when I see it.

I didn't think about that -- we can make any game a sellout with enough tarps!!! What do you reckon it'd cost to tarp the entire second deck and the end zone sections? Anyone got a tape measure?

Reactions: dukewayne
Coach Nix? HAHA why?
And trying to get into the Vandy game last year took forever. That was a very well attended game. Va Tech should be about the same or better. And you cant call yourself a fan of college football and not know who the Hokies are.

he may not have been a good coordinator at the end, i will say this... there want be any passing records set. he coming with a chip on his shoulder to shut some mouths up.

he may not have been a good coordinator at the end, i will say this... there want be any passing records set. he coming with a chip on his shoulder to shut some mouths up.
Was he ever really a good coordinator?

I think VT could sell it out. All due respect to GT and Miss State, VT's traveling fan base is much greater, and they rarely get the opportunity to travel to a road venue like Nashville.

I also like it from our perspective - VT is a big enough name that a win would create some buzz, and they're definitely the type of program that lays an egg from time to time.

I always thought Nix was a better coach then he showed here. I remember him from SEC and USM days, and was excited when he came to MT.

I still have this horrible feeling that our staff is run like a country club - hire your buddies, show up late, leave early, do the bare minimum to get by with your 6 wins - BOOM Contract Extended!

It'll be interesting to see what he can do at VT.

Like he did at Texas A&M? LOL.

Wasn't he a analyst at TXAM, he was a good coordinator at USM and USC. Bad run at ole miss and hell i remember people singing his praises when he first came to middle and took over for ellis. You guys kill me, with ripping him.

I imagine VaTech will travel extremely well.

Many years ago, I was really close to going to VaTech. As it turns out, this area around Nashville had really won me over. So MTSU is where I chose to go. Following VaTech somewhat closely especially many years ago, I've sort of hoped MT could follow a similar path of football growth.

VaTech has not always been a power type program. In the grand scheme of things, VaTech is still somewhat of a younger program in regards to power conference football. So not only do they have large and motivated group of fans, VaTech still has somewhat of a new and novel feel with many in Virginia that helps boost fan excitement. As such, I would anticipate that many of their fans will eagerly come to M'boro since VaTech's home area sort of borders on MT's general region.

Regarding similarities with VT and MT, in my youth (80s) VaTech was an afterthought in football. In that region, particularly Northern Virginia it was predominantly a Pro Football minded population i.e. Redskins. For those paying attention to college football, UVA and even Maryland were the big players in the region. VaTech wasn't even much in the larger conversation. VaTech's football stadium was a fraction of the size it is now. Even then, they couldn't get close to filling it up. For the limited crowd that did attend, they saw losing football more often than not. Heck for those interested around the state, one would have difficulty even finding a radio station carrying their games not to even mention the limited TV coverage. Generally speaking of high school and college aged kids back then in the 80s, VaTech football was most frequently the brunt of jokes when brought up in conversation. VaTech was not taken seriously as a competitor at the highest level of football.

Of course Beamer stayed for the long haul to eventually build the program into a power player. Think back in the 90's, VaTech was playing football in the BigEast where they eventually started to win games vs mostly unranked opponents before usually playing U of Miami and losing late in the season. Most of you likely know the rest of the story. They eventually got over that hump as 2K approached and politics somehow helped VT land in ACC. The rest is history.

Maybe MT basketball is the program that more closely matches the path of VaTech's rise in football. Knowing VaTech rise sometimes serves as a reminder that even though things may not look too bright around MT football, big success could possibly happen in the years to come. It's been done before by others in a similar situation.

Reactions: MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT