ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV NIL Fiasco

DisgruntledAlum

True Blue
Nov 8, 2021
Anyone keeping up with the UNLV and former QB?

Some if the scenarios I read were:
- They didn't pay him
- They did pay him, but now he wants more money
- Another school offered more to redshirt to play next season

There could others out there that I missed.

The current business model is failing, and it is going to be an epic collapse at some point. These kids and majority of parents are not smart enough to have this much influence at a program. Honestly, our school will not be able to sustain this for the long term.

Yup. Depends on if you listen to the school, him and his parents and agent, or the other rumors.

Either way, this can only be fixed with true contracts which means employment and a CBA. And none of that is sustainable for schools our size and budget, hence why I think there will be a split in the next decade. Those who can pay a salary, and those who can supply the current model.

I've been reading about this all morning. What a shitshow.

Still think we need the soccer model - sign a player to a 1-4 year contract. The player/team can buy his way out of it at anytime if he wants to transfer or if the school wants him to leave. Protects the school, protects the player.

I've been reading about this all morning. What a shitshow.

Still think we need the soccer model - sign a player to a 1-4 year contract. The player/team can buy his way out of it at anytime if he wants to transfer or if the school wants him to leave. Protects the school, protects the player.
We need more than just that from soccer. I'd 100% support relegation in college football with salary caps for the tiers. 100%.

Pretty much said an assistant coach verbally offered 100k. No one ever confirmed that and they paid him 3k to move and offer 4 months at 3k. I feel like the truth is probably a coach said something but never promised it and now that they are doing well he wants to make some money by transferring next season.

Reactions: mtfblue
We need more than just that from soccer. I'd 100% support relegation in college football with salary caps for the tiers. 100%.

Promotion/Relegation would be awesome, but no power AD is going to go for that. Any program that gets relegated is going to clean house and no admin is going to risk their spot on the athletics gravy train.

I still think if you had buyouts, that would allow you to essentially monetize your roster and put the funds back into the program.

I.e. if you found a 2-star nobody QB that turned into the next Mahomes, imaging what that would be worth to the Alabama's and Tennessee's of the college football world? You could buy an entire roster with those funds.

Another player. Sure sounds like some coach made some verbal commitments. Still though, onus should be on the players to get it in writing. But until there are rules in place, ie a CBA, this will become more common.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Of course it's a G5 getting screwed over here.

Guarantee he's at a P4 program next year.

Truly insane. I take back what I said about G5's being glorified JUCO's. It's even worse than that. P4's are getting in kids ears and letting them know they should sit, utilize their redshirt, and transfer for all that $ after the seasons over! At least kids play out the season in junior college....

My god this sport is ruined

Of course it's a G5 getting screwed over here.

Guarantee he's at a P4 program next year.

Truly insane. I take back what I said about G5's being glorified JUCO's. It's even worse than that. P4's are getting in kids ears and letting them know they should sit, utilize their redshirt, and transfer for all that $ after the seasons over! At least kids play out the season in junior college....

My god this sport is ruined

I’m not so sure about that. Maybe this level was too much for him. He’s only completing 43% of his passes and gone over 100 yards passing once in three games. Sounds like they may have actually overpaid him.

Someone clarify for me, but these collectives cannot be associated with the actual university, or can they?

If the QB was not getting paid or demanding money, isn't that something to be discussed with the group running that collective, not the HC?

Wasn't the whole NIL situation as whole intended for players, if asked, to make commercials, endorsements, and other stuff like that? How did we get to this point of just paying players to come play and unlimited transfers?

Reactions: Hop45 and MT Glenn
Someone clarify for me, but these collectives cannot be associated with the actual university, or can they?

If the QB was not getting paid or demanding money, isn't that something to be discussed with the group running that collective, not the HC?

Wasn't the whole NIL situation as whole intended for players, if asked, to make commercials, endorsements, and other stuff like that? How did we get to this point of just paying players to come play and unlimited transfers?

That's one of the murky unknowns about NIL these days. It appears that it's state to state related. I know there was a law passed that allowed Tennessee's collective to be in touch with the football program. No idea on Nevada.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum

It was meant for how Shedeur Sanders does it. He has contracts for commercials with Beats, KFC, a local car dealer, a watch company. That is what NIL is truly for and what I don't think a single person is against.

But thanks to the lawsuit the TN courts went through, it killed any NCAA restrictions. So now collectives have members (some businesses and some individual) and make direct payments to the players. Oklahoma State's collective spent almost $3m last year. Ohio State nearly $20m. The average I've seen for a 5-star player is over $100k/year with 2-star at around $12k. Some high end transfers are getting nearly $1m.

There's a thread here somewhere about our MBB team all being paid a few thousand a month last year.

Technically the collectives aren't part of the schools. But they work hand in had. "Hey Joe, this is coach. I've got a QB I want in the portal. I need $500k to get him." "No problem coach. Send him my way."

That is why the judge rejected the initial House settlement. She didn't see why the NCAA still wants to limit and create a distinction between boosters and collectives. Doing so will still bring anti trust issues.

But thanks to the lawsuit the TN courts went through, it killed any NCAA restrictions. So now collectives have members (some businesses and some individual) and make direct payments to the players. Oklahoma State's collective spent almost $3m last year. Ohio State nearly $20m. The average I've seen for a 5-star player is over $100k/year with 2-star at around $12k. Some high end transfers are getting nearly $1m.

There's a thread here somewhere about our MBB team all being paid a few thousand a month last year.

Technically the collectives aren't part of the schools. But they work hand in had. "Hey Joe, this is coach. I've got a QB I want in the portal. I need $500k to get him." "No problem coach. Send him my way."

There's no way we can compete with this. Not just us, there's probably 80 schools in the same boat more or less.

We (most of the G5) simply don't have the deep pockets needed to compete. I don't blame anyone - the teams that are primed to do well here are 100 year old football programs, with generational fan bases and longstanding commercial ties. We just didn't have the time to build that up.

We might not ever have been able to do that - the fact is we're kind of an everyman college - we train teachers and nurses and small business folks (and we're good at it too). We don't have a Haslam, or a Yellawood, or a group of Oil-men.

The G5 needs someone with some foresight and some cojones to get us out of this losing arms race and come up with a framework that works for us. Unfortunately, I think most of the G5 leadership is just simply focused on not rocking the boat, and keeping the paycheck and benefits coming rather than coming up with anything truly transformative.

I’m not so sure about that. Maybe this level was too much for him. He’s only completing 43% of his passes and gone over 100 yards passing once in three games. Sounds like they may have actually overpaid him.
They were using that as leverage to get some money from UNLV. He will be back at Holy Cross or another NE fcs program.

Anyone keeping up with the UNLV and former QB?

Some if the scenarios I read were:
- They didn't pay him
- They did pay him, but now he wants more money
- Another school offered more to redshirt to play next season

There could others out there that I missed.

The current business model is failing, and it is going to be an epic collapse at some point. These kids and majority of parents are not smart enough to have this much influence at a program. Honestly, our school will not be able to sustain this for the long term.

Failing for who? Small G5 programs that don't turn a profit? If so, I agree. That's the result of a free market. There are always market corrections, and they are typically drastic. End of the day, money always wins. As an MT alum and fan, it burns, but we missed our chance. Simple as that.

As far as being "not smart enough", he is smart enough to cash in while he can. Optically, it's not a great look, but another school is going to pay him. He will have over 100k reasons to not care about the optics. Like it or not, he is maximizing his earnings window. He will be the first of many to do this.

These TV contracts changed the business model. I don't have a problem with players cashing in. They are the product. Coaches have made a career of out leaving for more $, why can't players? Because of loyalty to the school? That's just not the real world anymore.

I realize I'm in the extreme minority, but this is why I just don't see the ROI in investing in G5 football anymore. We are steam rolling forward into just being glorified minor league football. Any P5 talent we get will leave as soon as a more lucrative offer comes along. It's almost impossible for us, or similar schools, to be relevant on a national scale.

IMO, we need to be the Butler or Wichita St of the southeast. Be a national player in basketball and baseball. Again, I realize I'm in the minority. Just feels like we are spitting in the wind on this, and it's only going to get worse.

I realize I'm in the extreme minority, but this is why I just don't see the ROI in investing in G5 football anymore. We are steam rolling forward into just being glorified minor league football. Any P5 talent we get will leave as soon as a more lucrative offer comes along. It's almost impossible for us, or similar schools, to be relevant on a national scale.

IMO, we need to be the Butler or Wichita St of the southeast. Be a national player in basketball and baseball. Again, I realize I'm in the minority. Just feels like we are spitting in the wind on this, and it's only going to get worse.

It's inevitable that there will become a third division somewhere between FBS and FCS, and we and a whole lot of other programs will be in it. I don't know when or the exact mechanisms that will cause it. G5 programs are still under the idea that if they just do a few things here and, get a little lucky, they'll be the next big thing. It ain't gonna happen for 99% of the programs. We'll get there, but the G5 will have to lose a whole lot of money to bust those egos first.

I do actually think there's an opportunity to be successful here. Obviously, competing with the Alabamas and Texas's is out the window (if that window ever truly existed). But there's an appetite for legacy college football, with a whole lot of quality programs that can feed it. We have to clean up our own mess first and dig our way out of the whole we dug for 17 years.

It's inevitable that there will become a third division somewhere between FBS and FCS, and we and a whole lot of other programs will be in it.

But there's an appetite for legacy college football, with a whole lot of quality programs that can feed it.

Appreciate the feedback on my post. I find the two statements above to be the biggest bogeys. I assume that's the case for most of us who have allegiances to G5 schools.

I completely agree that money is going to bifurcate FBS football. I also think that is going to change the appetite for legacy college football. With power conferences and TV deals, there are going to be marquee games EVERY Saturday, and I think create a vacuum that takes the oxygen out of G5 / FCS / etc. Our games will matter to us, but that's it. Our footprint will become smaller, if that's even possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT