ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL tweets from vandy fans about the blowout coming to the Raiders

This will probably be the best Vandy team we have played. They could blow us out. They took Knoxville to the woodhsed last year. I have never seen that happen. We really don't have a good story on d-line nor o-line for that matter. This game could be ugly or we have had an incredible infusion of talent that will turn out to be one of the best recruiting and development jobs that I have ever seen. Vandy will be our toughest game of the season. Based on my lack of info.....Vandy by 17. Hope I am wrong.

Vandy is replacing Cunningham and a big DL on D. On O, they lost 2 crucial OL.

UT's D was as bad as ours. In fact, they were 95th in total D and we were 96th in total D. Vandy scored 47 on us and 45 on UT. We turned it over 4 times and gave up 2 big returns. Vandy just didn't walk all over us. We gave them that game. If we can cut our mistakes by half and Shafer can get us to tackling better, I'm not worried about this game.

Vandy won't be better this year. I watched their spring game and on this first game, they will be running. They are bad during first games as well.

Also, we have Brady who is a beast. They ain't hanging 60 on us. No way.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
A lot of the same defensive personnel but a new DC. I'm looking forward to seeing if he's been able to effect any changes for the better.

This is a good point. I think the thing I've seen in the spring drills and final practice is the attitude and effort in the drills. There was not only more energy but the D looked to be in position more and were sharper in tackling and engaging the ball carrier. They're doing things I haven't seen us do in years. We are more aggressive it seems. I'm basing this on a very limited view but what I've seen is encouraging and it's already miles from where we were attitude and energy wise.

I think Shafer will call better plays that will put our guys into position to make more plays. He calls from the box and uses pre snap disguises too. He's an upgrade that will help us too. Now will we go from 96th to 25th in one year? LOL. No. But if we got to the 50's, it will be a night and day difference and will make a huge impact on our team.

On O, we gotta finish drives, stop turning it over and keep the clock running more. We do that, we will not only win, we'll own this game. It's on us. Hope we respond.

Reactions: MTTim and cipjr
Actually, it could have been a whole lot worse. Remember 2011?

not sure the defense has ever been as bad as last season. Offense was really good (until the O-line's matador performance against UTSA that got Brent injured) and the Defense was absolutely non-existent the whole freaking season.

I still don't think Vandy can win a shootout with their QB. That said, until we actually tackle someone, we can't win a shootout either.

I'm not sure if it was scheme thing or if the personell were just lacking fundamentals. Maybe we get that corrected. We won't ever be the '85 Bears, but being merely average would have made a huge difference. We have too much talent on the defense to be that bad.

I'm not betting on us, but I'm not sure it'll be a blowout.

Vandy's not the team that crushed the Vols - that was their best and max effort game - those don't happen every week.

Yup, that same team that "crushed" the Vols was dominated by NC state in the bowl game. Plus the Vols turned it over a lot and had a defense like ours.

Our problem wasn't athletes or talent. It was scheme and fundamentals. Watch the Mizzou game when Nix would call plays and would shift guys in at exactly the wrong time. He would call Zone on a run play or would call run D on an obvious throwing 3rd down. He would line our guys up wrong all of the time and dropped our LB's back on a 3rd and 1. Calling from the sidelines isn't good either because you can't see all of the shifting pre-snap plus, we disguised nothing.

However, with all of that, let me say this. In 2011, our offense consistently had drives of 1:30 or less and our defense was simply ran over because they were out there a lot. Last year, we also had a lot of drives last less than 1:30 and the D was torched. There are similarities. In 2012, our D was much better because it was Nix's first year and our O ran more and had many 4 minute plus drives. That's how we beat the breaks off of GT that year. Benny went off and we had long extended drives that kept the D fresh. ASU still killed us but we were successful because the O did their job and gave the D time to rest.

Look at the UTSA, Charlotte, Marshall and Hawaii games. Count how many 2 minute or less drives we had. It was an insane number. Well, unless you are loaded on D (3 full strings of starters) It's gonna be hard to keep up the needed stamina. We did do it in 09 but we attacked on D and got turnovers. We still allowed big plays but we were #1 in the nation in turnover margin. Also, on O, we produced and Dasher got first downs with longer drives. It was a balance that worked. Maybe this year, we can do the same thing. I think we'll be better but we'll see.

Reactions: RaiderDoug
I think a big part of it is the big plays we gave up - huge chunks of yards on one play.

Our defense may always be behind the pace because of our offense, but that's ok. Just keep everything in front. Make them go down the field 5-8 yards at a time and while we won't be a great statistical defense - the offense will shoot themselves in the foot from time to time and you'll get stops.

I don't know where we'd find stats for this, but I'd love to see how many 20+ yard plays we gave up last year.

Last year even after a victory I really couldn't enjoy it due to the absolute debacle of the defense. The only reason there any victories at all was because the offense could outscore our opponents.

Really tired of seeing second and one, or third and one, or even worse the opponents converting on the rare occasions when they were facing third and long or fourth and long. And in every one of those instances, our players and coaches had no clue what they needed to do.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Worst was the end of the western game last year. Should have canned him at that point.

But great to see the staff made the appropriate changes, this years team is going rock out!

I agree. The defensive coaching staff should have been sent camping after the WKU game.

Worst was the end of the western game last year. Should have canned him at that point.

But great to see the staff made the appropriate changes, this years team is going rock out!

The western game broke my spirit, but the Hawaii game put me in the grave. I still haven't recovered from that. I will attend games when I can,, but I will need to see a drastic shift before I give more emotional and financial equity.

Well the western game came down to us not running the dang ball on first down with 2:30 left. WKU had one timeout left and all we had to do was run it and force them to take the last TO. 2nd and 3rd downs run the clock and even if we have to punt, they get the ball with under a minute left. By running it, we would have gotten another first down which would have sealed the win. Instead, we incomplete a pass and stop the clock which gave them time to get a FG to tie. That lost the game. Up to that point, the D held them to 27 points which was lower than what VU held them to.

The D still let them go down the field so yeah, I'm glad we made the change but the O played a part in this too. Run the dang ball.

Reactions: cipman2000
Sparky just said the key to the game. "If Vandy plays well". They haven't in any first season game they've had under Mason.

On paper, Mizzou, Maryland and GT was better than us when we played them. Heck LaTech and WKU were better teams than us last year and we won one and lost the other by 1 point. On Paper, we were a better team than Hawaii and they boat raced us. My point is, this game ain't played on paper and they are in our house this year. If it doesn't rain, they better stretch out their hammies because it's gonna be a fast game.

This is gonna be a hard fought game and no cakewalk for anyone. Vandy is being treated like they're Bama and I don't get it. I saw their spring game and they are not that great. They got completely destroyed by a 6-6 NC State in their last game. Now, all of the sudden, they're Ohio State? I don't think so.

I think they win maybe 3 games this year. Their schedule sets up terrible for them. From week 3, here's who they have....

vs Kansas State
vs ALA
@ FLA
vs UGA
@ MISS
@ SC
vs WKU
vs UK
vs Mizzou
@ UT

They could either go 3-7 or easily go 0-10 in that 10 game slate. If they lose to us, they are screwed for the season (I'm talking 1-2 wins) so the pressure is all on them and that will matter too. The reality is that if we tackle just a little better, have 2 less turnovers and force them to go 3 and out just a couple more times, we're all up in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Watch the plays in that video. They are 95% our mistakes, not their "dominance". I hope we bury these clowns.

First Vandy troll has anchored down here. Hoping to avoid our typical first game schaudenfraude but uneasy for a few reasons.

What scares me most is the offensive jump Tony Franklin usually experiences in his 2nd year on the job with a team. That and Brent is the best QB we will face all year. Schafer is also sells out to stop the run, and our entire offense, and especially play action, is predicated on our RBs. That and as mentioned our offense (not so much our defense , see holding wku to 12 points , south carolina to 10) struggles in openers. Shafer's defenses are susceptible to vertical passing games, and that was an area it took us 10 games to become proficient in . However the hope is shurmur continues his performances from the last two SEC games (shurmur hurt his planting foot on the first play of the bowl game).

Dont think this game will be a blowout at all.

That being said, yardage shouldn't be an indicator of a luck factor, especially given a bend don't break defense by design such as ours. Our redzone defense was #1 in the nation last year. All signs do point to a more aggressive style this year.

Any indications yet on how Walter Brady is doing in practice? we have some questions at LT, he could be disruptive. Also how do the new crop of rb's compare to Mathers?

Colombianodore, Glad to have you here and no, you are not a troll. That was a good post with many legit points about the game. I have no problem with any opposing fan that makes intelligent and well researched posts like yours.

As I've said before, this game comes down to us limiting our turnovers and executing plays. It's more about that than talent. We have talent but we had some messy games last year. Gotta be smarter with the football. Bottom line. Vandy is too talented to just give the ball to them and expect our D to keep them off the board. So protection is key.

On D, I think we'll be much different. I think we'll play faster, tackle better and will be in better position to make plays. Shafer already has us playing better. Brady and Manciel are playing very well and they played together in high school so their chemistry is good together. Others are on the D line are stepping up as well so I'm optimistic. Will we be a shutdown D? No. Will we be better than last year? Yes.

I too think it will be a good game and I pray it doesn't rain. Hopefully we won't have a 2 hour rain delay or a full memorial service in the middle of the dang game like last year.

Reactions: _Colombianodore_
It stinks in here smells like commodors!!! Great to see you guys still have the heart to field a team after what your players have put the student body through. Unreal!!!!

D, I think we'll be much different. I think we'll play faster, tackle better and will be in better position to make plays. Shafer already has us playing better. Brady and Manciel are playing very well and they played together in high school so their chemistry is good together. Others are on the D line are stepping up as well so I'm optimistic. Will we be a shutdown D? No. Will we be better than last year? Yes.

ahh haven't heard anything about Manciel, didn't realize he had history with Brady. Sounds like we may have better luck running inside. Do think we still start slinging it around a bit, we've got great pass catching tight ends with some size.Our oline is beefy and has potential especially in run blocking.

Any I'll effects from stocks surgery or too early to tell? Think mason may adjust to take more of the underneath stuff, how's stock on the deep throws?

Really like DaBlueRaiders moxie. Vanderbilt has a rich tradition of athletics in the SEC, bring up the SEC gpa. When is the CUSA, AAC, MAC, and Sub Belt aligning into 1 Super Athletic Conference for the biggest weeknight tv deal in NCAA history?
I assure you my GPA at Vandy was nothing to be proud of lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT