ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TARPS?!

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
I have just heard that we are tarping the upper deck in the endzone sections by the MC. Is this true? What the hell? Our support is that bad, is it? Can anyone confirm or take pics? We have 31k seats and we have to use tarps????? I can understand if we want to make the crowd look better, but we better be filling almost every seat in the non-tarped areas. :mad: I have had bad experiences in the past being in depressingly empty stadiums that have been tarped, so I am a little gun-shy about this. I just hope they're not plain blue or white or something ugly.

Last edited:
I was on campus yesterday and noticed the tarps, so it is true. I did not take a picture. It did not appear that they covered the entire endzone, but did probably cover at least 3 seating sections in that upper deck. The tarps are not plain colored. They are a base blue color with what from a distance appeared to be signage honoring the football program's past accomplishments, bowl bids, etc.

I wouldn't think more than maybe 1,500 seats total are covered, but that is just a guess.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I was on campus yesterday and noticed the tarps, so it is true. I did not take a picture. It did not appear that they covered the entire endzone, but did probably cover at least 3 seating sections in that upper deck. The tarps are not plain colored. They are a base blue color with what from a distance appeared to be signage honoring the football program's past accomplishments, bowl bids, etc.

I wouldn't think more than maybe 1,500 seats total are covered, but that is just a guess.

As long as they are not ugly, single-color ones blocking out half the stadium I think I will live. I still don't like tarps. But knowing that makes it a little less frustrating

NRM8oca.jpg

Calm down. Since I'm the one you heard it from, there you go. Relax. The rest of that section will be tarped off soon. The company didn't deliver the rest of them. They are EASILY removed when we need them. Find another "issue" to complain about.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
Calm down. Since I'm the one you heard it from, there you go. Relax. The rest of that section will be tarped off soon. The company didn't deliver the rest of them. They are EASILY removed when we need them. Find another "issue" to complain about.

Just what we need to help the "Little Middle" mentality. Thank goodness it looks better than empty aluminum.

Just what we need to help the "Little Middle" mentality. Thank goodness it looks better than empty aluminum.
What is your solution to the empty seats? It's not like they are saying " no we can't sell you these seats. We have a tarp there".

Well, that takes the wind out of the sails that I have had for MT football. Was able to watch it grow and stagnate then grow then stagnate and now decline.

3 Reasons

1. People don't do live games like they used to.

2. 7 win seasons going to bowls such as Popeye's chicken do nothing for the program.

3. W/L mediocrity has done nothing for the program.

Tony Franklin will help. Not this year but the next.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
What is your solution to the empty seats? It's not like they are saying " no we can't sell you these seats. We have a tarp there".

The solution? Make the seats NOT EMPTY. Pitiful attendance again this year upcoming, it seems

If we start 5-0, the tarps will be a memory by homecoming.
If we start 2-3, we may need to order more tarps for homecoming.

A great start fixes everything. It's something we haven't had since 2001, but it's something we could do this year.

Tarps are removable. That's a crazy concept. Love that "new" technology. If butts flood the stadium, velcro and ratchet straps allow you easily remove em. What a marvelous age we are living in. Sheesh, some of you guys complain about everything.

Really? Who would have thought tarps are removable? What a groundbreaking idea :rolleyes:

I've been preaching this for years, and theyve done it right. It looks great.

The fact is we have a attendance ceiling of about 25k right now. Complain about it all you want, it is what it is.

Nothing looks worse than kicking and extra point or FG into bare aluminum bleachers.

This will effectively increase the attendance by capacity.

Reactions: C-Bow
I've been preaching this for years, and theyve done it right. It looks great.

The fact is we have a attendance ceiling of about 25k right now. Complain about it all you want, it is what it is.

Nothing looks worse than kicking and extra point or FG into bare aluminum bleachers.

This will effectively increase the attendance by capacity.

No it will not. Getting butts in seats will increase attendance. Nothing more. I don't care if we have to give away tickets to FCS games to get people there. We always choke on ourselves whenever we have a huge crowd and people don't want to come back. Give people a win for a well-attended game, a reason to come back, and we wouldn't have this discussion.

No it will not. Getting butts in seats will increase attendance. Nothing more. I don't care if we have to give away tickets to FCS games to get people there. We always choke on ourselves whenever we have a huge crowd and people don't want to come back. Give people a win for a well-attended game, a reason to come back, and we wouldn't have this discussion.

That's all great, but that's not the reality that we face.

Reactions: THEBLUERAIDER
Nothing says you've given up quite like tarps. About the only benefit I can see in the tarps at this time is that it forces the few fans who do sit over there out of tv camera sight to move and sit more in sight of the tv cameras with the rest of the crowd. To me the tarps showing up on the heels of the terrible tv contracts suggest a possible deliberate move to try to make the crowds look a little larger for the tv cameras. I don't think it was any accident that MT seemed to reverse direction this season regarding the quality or size of the networks broadcasting MT games. I think it's pretty clear that tv networks view half empty stadiums as unappealing.

I really do hope that improvements in attendance will require the removal of the tarps.

The tarps are a great idea and long overdue. Good call by whomever did that.

Krogers in the Memphis area were selling tiger football tickets for $5.00 each to their opening game last Saturday. This is the 4th year, U of M and Krogers have worked together on this program. I really don't want to give them credit for a good idea, but....
http://www.fox13memphis.com/news/u-of-m-kroger-selling-5-tickets-to-tigers-season-opener/424316678

Unfortunately, I don't think cost is much of an issue.

I don't think there's anyone who's like "I'd love to go to an MT football game, but the tickets are just so expensive".

Sadly, I don't think we're going to see large crowds coming out to see an 7-5 also ran that plays itself out of the spotlight by continuing to have poor September records. The program needs some buzz.

There's no reason we shouldn't start 3-0 (I know BG and Vandy aren't gimmies, but if we want to take a step forward, these are the games we need to win), and then we'll see what the crowd looks like vs LaTech. Of course, we'll probably make sure we kick off at the exact same time as Vols-Gators, thereby shooting ourselves in the foot again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT